PG Music Home
Posted By: guitarman Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/27/10 02:18 PM
Hi All

With Don moving to somewhere where there may not be internet access,I thought I would post this
little tune we did a while back.

Don,I do hope you remember it,I play it quite often and I thought it fitting that
I post it here one more time,hope you don't mind.

The link does work,it's just a bit slow.

Thanks for listening.

Alan

http://www.4shared.com/file/250596944/a695107e/DonsAshamedMix.html
just beautiful alan. you achieved a pseudo psg sound with your strat. you are one awesome picker and i treasure our friendship. thanks amigo.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/27/10 06:11 PM
Straight to the keeper file.

Excellent job gentlemen!
Posted By: jazzband Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/27/10 06:49 PM
Hi Don & Alan

That is as good as you can get and sounds very professional,Don may i wish you all the very best
and thanks Alan for letting us hear a super piece of music

best wishes Dave
Posted By: Sundance Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/27/10 07:47 PM
I love it. Great guitar and vox. That kind of haunting Orbison sound just perfect for the song. Glad you shared.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/27/10 08:19 PM
Quote:

I love it. Great guitar and vox. That kind of haunting Orbison sound just perfect for the song. Glad you shared.

Great assessment Josie, I too hear a bit of the Orbison touch on this tune.

Nice job guys!
Posted By: guitarman Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/28/10 08:48 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind comments,I know Don would appreciate them.

Don,I checked up on when we did this and to my amazement it was 1995,I didn't
think it was so long ago but I think it has stood the test of time quite well.

Take care my friend and keep safe.

Best Wishes Always

Alan
Posted By: mglinert Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/28/10 09:01 AM
who wrote the tune?
THis is excellent.
Thanks for posting
Marc
Posted By: guitarman Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/28/10 01:11 PM
Hi Mark
I think it's a Hank Williams song though no doubt
it has been recorded by lot's of others.

I think it's excellent as well,glad you like it.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/28/10 01:28 PM
Hi Don and Alan,

What a great song! I have never heard this one before and it was a real pleasure to hear it. I'm really glad you posted this song. It's excellent. Hard to believe that the mix is 15 years old. It still fits very comfortably on these forums.

You've got my standing ovation
Noel
the song tag says 2005 so alan may be wrong on the date.

josie, to be compared to roy orbison, even tangentially, is a great honor and thrill, thank you. elvis called roy 'the greatest male vocalist ever' and i agree.
Posted By: guitarman Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/29/10 09:05 AM
Agreed,I think the date must be wrong but I guess it was a couple of
years ago.

Alan
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/31/10 02:15 PM
great collaboration, guys! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 03/31/10 08:30 PM
It doesn't matter when it was done, just that it WAS done! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Powderman Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 04/03/10 02:55 AM
Wonderful rendition.

Thanks for pulling this one out - enjoyed it.
Posted By: JBlatz Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 04/04/10 02:21 AM
Nice cover Alan. I like it well enough that I'm going to add your recording to my collection of others who have covered this old Hank Williams song.

Hank Williams senior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLx1Bg9RSQ

Faron Young had a pretty good version also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVNOZ51q87Q&feature=related

Jerry Lee Lewis (Probably my favorite version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1m1NBIyHI&feature=related

Thanks...
Posted By: guitarman Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 04/04/10 02:26 PM
Hi JBlatz

Many thanks for the kind comments,I have listened to all the versions
through the links you posted and I have to say, I like em all.

It's nice to know you think our version is good enough to stand alongside some
of the finest artists who have recorded this song,and we are priveledged
to be associated with them.
I know Don would agree.

Thanks again

Alan
Posted By: JBlatz Re: Here's One For Don - Alan + Don Collab - 04/05/10 12:52 AM
Don,
I apologize for failing to include a congratulation for your quality vocal on this track. While reading this post yesterday, I was also babysitting a young'un and sometimes the two do not mix very well. In this case I overlooked the fact that you sang the tune. Again I apologize. By the way, I think you also have a Rodney Crowell type of smoothness in your voice. Give a listen to one of his old tunes like "Stars on the Water" to hear that similarity of smoothness.
alan's pickin' would make anyone sound good. thank you so very much, alan, my friend.
Wow! I almost missed this one. That's a great song. I remember when Hank Williams came out with that one. I was a little dude back then. I used to love to listen to his stuff on the radio.

I agree with you Don. Anything with Alan accompanying is going to be top floor in my book. Good job Mates.
© PG Music Forums