PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/25/10 12:13 AM
Hi,

My co-writer and I have written a new song. We were randomly choosing rhythms from BIAB 2007 for inspiration when we stumbled across a MIDI bossanova. It appealed. The below link will take to you the song that we came up with. (The song is meant for a female singer.)

link to latest song

If you get a chance, I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have on how I can improve any aspect of the song.

For the technically minded: I encoded this song using BonkEnc Audio Encoder driven by Lame. Both HiFi and LoFi were variable bitrate. HiFi was stereo, 44.1 kHz sampling, and a maximum bitrate of 192 kbps (final file size was 3.14 MB); the LofFi was mono, 22.05 kHz sampling, and a maximum bitrate of 32kbps (final file size was 614 KB).

For Sundance: I also used BlockFish and SpitFish plugins with this song

Regards,
Noel
Good Listening. I'll leave the technical stuff to others.

How was the sax generated? Whatever it was, it was good.

Don S.
Hi Don,

The sax is Realtrack # 587: Sax, Tenor, 2Beat Rock, EV 110.

Thank you for having a listen
Noel
Very nice production. Well done! Thanks for sharing!

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
Thanks for taking time to have a listen, Robert. I appreciate your positive feedback.

All the best,
Noel
Hi Noel,
Enjoyed your song Noel - liked the sax bits and the lyrics. Did you play the piano part?
Thanks and well done
Jim
Hey Jim,

Thanks for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The piano player is Miles Black (RT #920: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm, Rhumba EV 110). He's pretty good! Much better than I am

Regards,
Noel
Nice song, Noel. Clear sound. Very solid chord progression.

I found the rock sax to be a bit out of place in this genre. When it first came in, it had enough bite to it that I thought for a moment it was an alto. A real tenor player playing a bossa would be much more smooth than that. Perhaps another sax style would give you that Stan Getz sound? I'm sorry, I don't have a specific style number suggestion since I don't ever use these soloists (I do them myself). However, if you wanted a little 'edge' to offset the easy feel of the song, then your sax was a good choice.

Thanks for sharing. Keep writing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/26/10 12:28 AM
Noel, this is super. Great vox, lyrics and backing tracks. The production was top shelf.
Hi Matt,

Thank you for taking a listen and posting your suggestion. You make a good point. I played around with a few sax tracks before settling on this one. I'll now go back and have a listen to those other files and make sure that I've got the one I like best

Many thanks,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/26/10 12:41 AM
Hi Mario,

I appreciate your feedback Only last week, I was at a weekend songwriting session with Beth Nielsen Chapman (co-writer of the 90's Faith Hill hit "This Kiss" - just to name one of her many hit songs). She gave us all a few tips on singing. Her approach is not to sing but to talk in pitch and hold the sound for the length of the note. To hear this approach in action, if you're interested, have a listen to her singing "Sand And Water" on the following link. By way of background story, she wrote this song after her husband died of cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZxU-q0B68

My thoughts were that if Beth can sound so good "talking" her way through a song, that's the style for me!

Thanks for taking time to have a listen.
Noel
Posted By: RickeG Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/26/10 07:17 PM
When I hear that, I think to myself, "Whatever happened to those days?" Anyway, I suppose it is where most romance goes... into the nostalgic parts of our imagination.

I really liked the tune. Kudos!

I, too, like the chordal arrangements along with the melody. There is a catchy hook to it. I don't mind the sax tone in that it was not long enough to affect the mood for me. I don't know about you. When I write using BIAB there are occasions where what I am looking for that is not available. So, you make do with the closest you can match.

RickeG
Posted By: MikeK Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/27/10 03:43 PM
Very nice arrangement/instrumentation. Even the sax didn't bother me too much, even though I do agree with Matt's point of view.

Really nice production and the vocals are very, very good! I am entertained!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/28/10 06:49 AM
Hi RickeG,

Thanks for making the time available to have a listen to my song. I'm grateful.
Quote:

When I write using BIAB there are occasions where what I am looking for that is not available. So, you make do with the closest you can match.

I know that you mean by the above. There are so many instruments and styles available in BIAB, though, that I've found that there's usually something that does the job pretty well.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/28/10 06:51 AM
Hey MikeK,

Thank you I'm glad the production worked because that's the aspect every song that I find the most challenging. I think that, bit by bit, I'm getting the hang of it, now. I appreciate your comments about my singing. I've been working on trying to sound a bit better!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: RickeG Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 04/30/10 07:34 PM
Exactly. And that is the fun thing about writing originals. You are not trying to copy something that is already out there. You set the standard as the writer. That is what I love about experimenting with BIAB is that if I want to hear how a 13 bar blues song would sound like, I'll try it. Of course, I always end up throwing out the extra measure any way.

Here is the thng I am discovering. There has always been a time in history when someone did something that caught on and before you know it future students began to study what is now called theory as a result from it. As it applies here is that is what a single listen may think. But, after hearing it several times the mind tricks you into thinking, "Hey, I really like that." Then, the real humor is if you ever needed to go back and rerecord it, you painstakingly try with all your might to recreate what you thought so little about the first time you recorded/heard it. I find that particularly true with my own music. The first few times I hear something that stands out to me I'll say, "Ugh, I wish I could have done it this way." A month later, I find myself trying to rerecord it to put in that "way" and find myself falling right back into what I had originally recorded.

As I heard a comedian say once, "The mind, it's a terrible thing...." (he forgot the rest of the statement).

Cheers!
RickeG
Posted By: retake Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/01/10 04:52 PM
Noel, I really like it. Thanks for sharing it.
Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/03/10 06:34 AM
Hi RickeG,

I agree with everything you said about using BIAB to write songs. It's opened a whole heap of doors for me that wouldn't have been available had I been left to my own resources. It's a sensational program.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/03/10 06:36 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen. I enjoyed writing this song. I appreciate your positive feedback.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: mglinert Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/03/10 11:52 AM
Some good chords going there Noel!

Your usual confident vox too

Mix is spot on, with the vox well highlighted

The sax is a little rasping for the style of the track, but I only noticed this because of the posts above

All in all this is an impressive package.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/04/10 06:57 PM
Hey marc,

Thanks for listening. I like bossanovas. They give me freedom to play around with some extended chords I appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Dan Tong Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/04/10 10:45 PM
A lovely song and what a wonderful voice. Congratulations.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/05/10 07:40 PM
Hi Dan,

Thank you taking time to listen and comment. I'm glad you liked it

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/07/10 07:38 PM
HI Noel. Nice song! I can understand Matt's preference for another Sax sound....but there is an attractive 'edge' to your choice. A thought ...the title & the vocal sound may be a bit 'at odds'...how about ....(not speaking the lyrics)...but doing a kind of softer, "whisper" type vocal? I feel the vocal approach would benefit......and it would be easier to sing! But even as it stands....a nice listen. Regards, Joe G.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/07/10 10:41 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments. I must admit that I've grown to like the sax, too. I've hunted around to try and find something better but nothing yet has jumped out at me.I appreciate that most music in this style would have a mellower sounding sax. That's an interesting thought about the vocals. I'm not a good singer. I just try and bluff my way through. I find it increasingly difficult to control the note as my voice gets softer. I'll have an experiment and see what happens, though.

Thanks for listening commenting,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/08/10 07:38 AM
I really enjoyed that Noel. Nice vocal, arrangement and mix.
I thought the sax was spot on and a perfect contrast to the ultra smooth feel of the rest of the instruments. I felt I wanted to hear more - if I pictured this being played live I think the sax player wouldn't have been able to resist coming in to noodle a few more lines!
I associate bossa novas with a prominent guitar part in the mix so I would have brought the guitar part above the piano. But I would say that wouldn't I !

John
Posted By: Danny C. Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/08/10 07:48 PM
Noel,

Happy this one was bumped back up as I almost missed it. With that said I can understand the sax sound attracting two different camps but try as I might I can't find anything wrong with it, in fact I really like the edge it gives to the tune. Also nice job on the vocal but until Joe's suggestion a post or two above this one there was something that I could not quite put my finger on that while only a subtle change could really "sell" the song, it was Joe's suggestion re: soft or even, my description a "torch song" vocal style.

Anyway very nice job here both on the production and performance.

Later,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/09/10 10:00 AM
Hi Skyline,

Thank you for your comments. I played around with adding some sax noodling here and there but then, in the end, I decided that "less was more" because I couldn't get the exact mix I wanted. I haven't tried bringing the guitar up in the mix and taking the piano back. I'm off to have a play with that now! Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 05/09/10 10:03 AM
Hey Danny,

Thanks for catching my tune. Your supportive comments have made me smile Brenda and I had fun assembling this song. BIAB is such a great tool for songwriting. I don't know how people like Irving Berlin survived without it!

Once again, thank you,
Noel
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/15/10 06:00 PM
Hi Noel,

Just now I discover your song post, sound great, nice singing, good voice and mixing and instrumental sound. IMO the sax, although a little out of the traditional context, it does engage great to your voice way. It is like a blend of circa bossa with modern urban style. I love that!. If had to point something is sometimes you seem to be a little forced in high tessitura tenor register, but your expressivity makes up it more than enough. Good job!

cheers

Carlos
Posted By: Mac Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/15/10 10:04 PM
I'm glad Carlos brought this back to the top of the list or I might never have gotten the chance to enjoy it.

Only thing I'd suggest is to try transposing it down a step to a step and a half or so, to fit your voice, and re-sing.

You go, brother!

--Mac
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/15/10 11:53 PM
As others have said, I totally missed this when you first posted it! Wonderful song, I'm glad to have an opportunity to listen and comment!

Noel, you have posted a number of different types of songs, and I've enjoyed them all. I must say, this is one of my favorites. The Bossa style (to my ears) is a good match for your singing. Generally speaking, Bossa is very lighthearted, upbeat and fun, and that's exactly the way you present yourself here in this forum. If you perform your songs in public, I hope you add more bossa to your play list. It seems to be working for you.
Posted By: Superbron Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/16/10 06:23 PM
Very nice Noel.

Cheers,

Superbron
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/18/10 06:44 AM
Hi Carlos,

I don't know what to say. You've made my day I really appreciate your taking the time to have a listen to my song and to comment. I have listened to some of your songs from links on these forums and your are an amazing musician. If I could have 10% of your talent, I'd be a happy man. I totally agree with you about the high notes. I'll have another look at those. That's what I like about being able to put music together at home, there's plenty of time to make adjustments and get things as best as they possibly can be.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/18/10 06:50 AM
Hey Mac,

Thanks for that transposition thought. This sounds stupid, but it never occurred to me to transpose the song! I'll just go and kick myself. I guess I became fixated with the key that I wrote the song and didn't bother running it through a couple of transpositions to see if I could make it sit a bit better with my voice. I'm glad you came along with the thought.

Thank you!
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/18/10 07:00 AM
Hey Pat,

Good to read you again Thanks for taking time out and listening. I haven't really played around with bossanova styles too much but I really like the beat. "Girl from Ipanema" and "Wave" are my all-time favorite songs. I appreciate your encouragement. I'll definitely be experimenting more with bossas. As for my singing, well.... I still don't see myself as a singer. After going to a weekend seminar with Beth Nielsen Chapman recently, though, I learned how to "talk" in rhythm and pitch and that approach seems to be working with some success.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG (Original): Bossanova - 06/18/10 07:02 AM
Hey Bron,

Thank you for making the time to take a listen. I'm appreciate your positive feedback. Now I need to work at getting my songwriting to the next level

Best regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums