PG Music Home
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 12:06 AM
Time to say goodbye.

I just wanted to tell you all that I really appreciate all the help you’ve given through the years. And most of the time, it was given in great detail.

Some of you have become friends. Even outside of the forums.

It’s time for me to leave, at least for a while.

To Don Gaynor and John Conley, God bless both of you. I wish you well.

To Mac, ………….how did you learn so much in just one lifetime? And you always share all of it with anyone who asks!

So good luck to all of you and may God bless.

Bob
Posted By: jford Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 01:50 AM
Because?
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 03:31 AM
Stay well "flatpicker" - I have enjoyed your input.

Salut - Ian
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 06:06 AM
whoa horse! bob, whahappen, me wee bucko? is it my breath? did some damn yankee or canuck pee in your mint julep or report your still to the feds? capital offenses all, but anything less than that 'und vee haff vays off deelink vit dem' amigo. i've always enjoyed your posts and your eagerness to share your knowledge and fabulous pickin' so liberally on these forums. you will be sorely missed by all. if you'd like to discus it, you are welcome to pm me or email me at any time.

your old oklahoma bud,
Posted By: WienSam Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 07:07 AM
Quote:

whoa horse! bob, whahappen, me wee bucko? is it my breath? did some damn yankee or canuck pee in your mint julep or report your still to the feds? capital offenses all, but anything less than that 'und vee haff vays off deelink vit dem' amigo. i've always enjoyed your posts and your eagerness to share your knowledge and fabulous pickin' so liberally on these forums. you will be sorely missed by all. if you'd like to discus it, you are welcome to pm me or email me at any time.

your old oklahoma bud,

What he said... only I'm British and in Vienna. What the hell?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Time to say goodbye *DELETED* - 06/08/10 11:49 AM
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 01:19 PM
Good luck, and take care.

Notes
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 06:21 PM
We´ll miss you Bob, however I hope you walk in circles and, inadvertently, come here again.

Carlos
Posted By: John Conley Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 06:35 PM
Jeez one less guy to poke sticks at. I can't help it, I was born that way. It's the Irish wind 'em up part. Kinka like after the stick gets in your spokes you turn to the others and comment, look at 'em will ya, he's got turf in 'es mouf...

On the other hand if you want my simplistic explanation as to how to do something or not, I will try and help directly.

See you on Tuesday, we have free hamburgers then I hear.

Until then I believe in the doctrine of self-determination.

I dearly want a cure, and to pack by bags and hit the road, ...jack...and see the whirld.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 07:46 PM
Well then if you just want attention, yer not get it here!! .. er .. well okay maybe you just got some attention!

Okay darn it you got lots of attention!!

Wow i never get any attention .......

Ooohhh i got an idea.

Aaahheemm! I am leaving, goodbye to all!!!

*cricket ............ cricket ............
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 09:28 PM
Robh,

Quote:

Well then if you just want attention, yer not get it here!! .. er .. well okay maybe you just got some attention!

Okay darn it you got lots of attention!!

Wow i never get any attention .......

Ooohhh i got an idea.

Aaahheemm! I am leaving, goodbye to all!!!

That type of snide, (slyly disparaging), remark is one of the main reasons I’m choosing to leave this forum. I guess what really surprises me is that the remark came from you! It’s one thing to challenge someone’s ideas because you disagree with them. It’s another thing entirely to resort to personal insults because you don’t like their ideas. It's just uncalled for robh.

I didn’t post this to draw attention to myself. I posted it primarily to thank the numerous people who’ve helped me, not just with BIAB issues, but general computer issues. People have literally gone out of their way to research and post lengthy replies to help me with problems on here over the years.

I’ve been guilty of making thoughtless comments on here that has offended someone before, and when I realized that I had, I posted public apologies, and frequently sent a PM to go along with it.

I got a phone call last night from one the PG members after he saw my post. We discussed my reasons for leaving at length. One thing he pointed out to me was that I didn’t post a reason for leaving. I told him that I was trying to go out in a “gracious” manner, or something to that effect.

But your snide remark made me rethink that position. I’d still like to leave on a good note, because the people here who make those kinds of comments are the exception, not the rule. But it did give me a reason to say why I’m leaving.

So thanks again everyone.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/08/10 11:15 PM
Bob, Bobster, Bobalator, Big Bobeno, it was a JOKE big fella, there is nothing snide about it, I was kidding, and actually spoofing other folks from the past off you. No offense meant. It is obvious, that some one offended you. I never meant to, period!

If one thing is clear, there will always be folks on here that will battle you, argue with you, bash the product even though they barely know how to use it. There will always be people who claim to be Computer programmers, but can't for the live of them figure out why windows recorder works, but a full on multifacted whizzbang DAW won't create a grammy winner with the sigmatel built in sound card, and a disk fulla loops!

I have been hanging around forums for a decade. I have yet to see one where someone did not get their panties in a twist over some slight from someone else, who quite frankly is not worth the breath, ah ..er.. skin it takes to respond. It is just the way it works around this here town.

As for you my perturbed friend, i have watched you in here for a while and seen that you have a wry wit, and a fun based sharp tongue, er finger at times. Never in spite, but seemingly in fun. I have also seen you poke at folks much harder than i just did you! So if you need a break take one, but don't let knuckleheads run you off. We need fellow axeslingers around here even if they only know how to flatpick! (another attempt at poor taste humor).

One last thought before you go, don't, come and go freely for your benefit and enjoyment. This is afterall entertainment, or at least it should be. If what i said was taken as a snide (is that really how it is spelled?) remark I applogize. Now get cher a%# outta here before i change my mind.

Yers truely Rob!!!
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 12:32 AM
Rob,

Quote:

Bob, Bobster, Bobalator, Big Bobeno

Bob will do. LOL. And yes “snide” is how you spell it. I don’t have an axe to grind with you. Your “snide” comment about me wanting attention just caused me to state why I’m leaving.

It was just another “straw” in the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back”.

If I were looking for a “hammer” on the camel’s back, it would have been when one of the longest standing members in the PG family created a fake screen name and created a post in which he suggested that I commit suicide with my “.38 Special”. The writing style of the poster was immediately apparent to me. “Sivertones” also recognized it and posted a comment and said “****, is that you?”

I immediately sent a PM to the actual screen name of the person who posted it and within minutes, the post was gone. Obviously, my “guess” was right about who posted it. I asked him, “****, do you feel better about yourself now?”

I have since gotten on better terms with the “poster”, but he has yet to admit privately or publicly that he was the one who suggested that I kill myself.

So for anyone who thinks I’m being “thin skinned”, have you ever had someone tell you that you should kill yourself?????????????????

And ****, do you still have a copy of the post you made under the fake screen name that you would like to add to this dialog?

You’ve already commented on this thread, so would you like to tell the rest of the people on here why I want to leave? It might be cathartic.

So I guess the biggest point to this is that "words mean someting". So maybe we should all be a little more careful in how we through them about.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 02:35 AM
Fake screen names eh? We've had a bunch of those. Sometimes it made me laugh, often it was just sad. One reason I decided to put my real name and real persona out there. No deception, I'm an almost 60 (few months) former card toting conservative living in a place that is, compared to many, utopia.

I can do without the shenanigans, but I do like a good laugh.

In my opinion, too many people take themselves far too serious, I'm just trying to pass some time, lend a hand where I can, and get through each day with a little joy and music.

When they tell you there's a 70 percent chance you can make it until Christmas it gives your perception a whole new tweak.

I'm leaving too, for home, after about 10 days of constant hospital and nurses and nights when I can't sleep. I can't wait to sit on the deck, check the tomato plants, and sit in my own chair, and fire up band in a box on the computer. It works on the netbook but I didn't want to bring the external hard drive to the hospital and I was spending most of my time trying to do what I was told, get better.

For those who stay, see ya later, and those who don't, get on with life...it's too short.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 03:31 AM
Just because somebody insults you is no reason to leave. Call the authorities and report it to the webmaster. But... if you really must go, good luck to you, Bob
Posted By: John Conley Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 04:02 AM
Sounds like a good title for a song!

BTW, in case you've lived in isolation, this is one of my favorites,....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbN0g8-zbdY
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 05:38 AM
Bob, i did not see that post or have any knowledge of it. If I had I would not have made light of your feelings. I have seen several folks over the years bid a forum farewell, and it usually meant they wanted someone to beg them to stay. I did not however feel that was what you were wanting i just made a silly joke out of it. My applogies.

I can't imagine someone suggesting i kill myself, cept maybe my ex-wife!

Anyway i hope you do not leave, and that it does not affect your enjoyment of the site. If I could offer one tidbit of support and encouragement, do not let what others especially those who do so from the shadows make you alter your path.
Posted By: critter Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 06:10 AM
I've had some negitive answers but holy @#$% nothing I couldn't handle, like the time someone told me to eat grass so I could be employed because I lost my job. I responded, if they didn't like it too %^&*(!@# bad.........I like this place if one idiot makes a dumb statement, so what, get over it and move on, or shoot the !@#$^&*. if you can find them........LOL
Posted By: Superbron Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 07:08 AM
Quote:

Just because somebody insults you is no reason to leave. Call the authorities and report it to the webmaster. But... if you really must go, good luck to you, Bob

Bob,

As Sam said. I hope you'll still hang around here.

Cheers,

Superbron
Posted By: Skyline Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 07:55 AM
Sorry to see you go Bob, I'll miss your contributions.
I hope you rotate back in later on down the road, in the meantime keep on with the picking.

Regards
John
Posted By: mglinert Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 07:55 AM
Well anyway, after some other recent departures I find it a big relief to learn that this one is in no way health related.
all the best to you, Bob...
Posted By: silvertones Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 10:59 AM
You know I always quote the forum rules as a hint however if all y'all ( I'm a yankee so don't know how to spell y'all) stayed away from controversial subjects like religion, politics, gun control etc. these kinds of issues would not arise. I warned you.
Posted By: Mac Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 11:28 AM
Ya'll is the correct spelling.

But the plural of Ya'll is "All Ya'll"...
Posted By: silvertones Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 11:34 AM
Ever notice that the ladies never get involved in these conversations? They probably stand back and say "look at all those men just peeing all over the ground" . So i should have said 'all y'all" in the above?
Posted By: John Conley Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 11:43 AM
I said what?

He said fake screen name and if I have something to say I don't need any fake screen name.

How come one day Slivertones your are 100 precent French Canadian, and the next a Yankee?

And my last name is Conley and I did no such thing as you allege. I'd get my facts straight before pointing.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 12:13 PM
Sorry John I wasn't pointing at you. I thought you were being pointed at and was just trying to say that I can't believe that whoever posted that would ever want Bob to follow through. It was a joke.
Apologize about the name. Bad typist.
I am 100% French Canadian ancestry. All Grandparents born there. Worked in the woolen mills of New England. I was born in the US and still live here.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 12:51 PM
John, aka silvertones,

Suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. I also have personal experience with it because a lady friend of mine did it, leaving herself for her mother to find. And she also left her 12 yr old daughter without a mother.

For the record, I'll be on this earth as long as the good Lord wants me to be. When He decides that my time is up, then I'll be gone.

As far as whether the member who posted the suggestion meant it or not, no one knows that but him.

He did give a whole laundry list of reasons why I should, taking personal info that I had revealed in posts on here over the past couple of years and making a pretty convincing argument about why I should "eat my .38 Special". I don't know if he has a really good memory or if he actually took time to research my prior threads for this info in order to compile the laundry list. I guess that in itself is a good reason to not talk about your personal problems on a forum. Even tho in each case, I was making jokes about the bad things that were going on in my life. If he didn't mean it, then it was a really bad thing to suggest to someone you know is going through some pretty serious problems.

I guess that if I was someone that was easily influenced by mean spirited things that people say, I would have taken his advice. It was, after all, a pretty convincing argument. You read the post and commented on it, so you know.

I planned on leaving the forum without giving a reason why. But I guess it's too late for that now.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 01:08 PM
Bob stick around. You know in your heart its a great crowd of friendly people on here, and don't let one bad apple spoil it for you.

I do think the more information you give about yourself in your profile such as adding a picture in your profile etc then a person is inclined to take what they precieve to be an insulting post more personally.

Just a thought
Joe
Posted By: MikeK Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 01:19 PM
One guy actually threatened to kill me in a live chat room full of people during one of my Internet Radio shows. He was reported to the police by the owner of that website back then. Never heard anything else about it. I think he was liqured up, or something.

Anyway, Bob ... we haven't had a whole lot of interaction, but I've always enjoyed your posts. You'd be a loss to the community for sure. I might not post a lot, but I do read a lot.

Take it easy and don't be bothered by what I consider an imbecile.

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: John Conley Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 01:46 PM
I just wish someone would clear up the hanging mis-conception that I, directly or indirectly told Bob to eat his gun. Now I've taken some crazy medications, and got very silly at times, but this would not be something I would do. If there was a leap of adding 2 plus 2 on someone's part to come up with me then rethink your premises.

I am miffed by this, for in all the posts (and I get a lot of inter-canuck messages in the PM's) I can only find a one sentence blurb about suicide posted by Bob and I couldn't understand it at all so I just let it go.

As to creating a fake screen name, never, won't happen.

Reminds me of a Chief at 3 a.m. where there was a major foul-up and the guy who owned the building was a lawyer. I have that district, and work dayshift as the fixer. The Chief tells the lawyer that 'when Conley gets here, he's going to tell you that you are a stupid, ignorant, moron, as$ho%e and you don't know #$R3 from shinoloa. And it got worse, there were more descriptive words in there. They lawyer got it repeated.

I end up in the White Shirted 5 striped chief's office right at 8. The guy in question was a Platoon Chief and he starts out with the story. The Chief looks at me and says, so are you telling this guy this stuff?

Nope I say, "I giving him a citation for having a broken fire alarm, putting on a fire watch, and ordering the system fixed by noon, and there will be hourly calls to me on the progress, here's the paper work, it's a high rise residential building.

As I'm excused the Platoon Chief is saying, but Chief I never said any of that stuff I told him Conley would, I didn't do any thing wrong.

One of the best laughs of my life when I heard I got Chief BT 3 days off for no saying the lawyer was a moron.

True story that.

Now someone get me home so I can see my deck and flowers. I'm tired of this hospital. 10 days is more than enough.

Bob maybe next time you send me a PM I'll try and clarify, I note that day I had about 5 and I didn't know what you were talking about, it was just one phrase. I wasn't me.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 02:24 PM

I think that probably a lot more people read on the forum and maybe even register without posting at all, so it’s totally impossible to know who did it. After all its the internet.

AND as regards the person who did, it's he who is in need of help.

Why leave a forum because of one disturbed person, who probably trolls forums seeking to wind up people and then gets his kicks from seeing that it has worked.

John Conley, I believe it definitely wasn't you. You have enough on your plate without this.

Joe
Posted By: silvertones Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 02:27 PM
John,
I certainly believe you when you say it wasn't you. For the record everyone, it wasn't me either. Not my style either. Even though it was in bad taste I wish the person who did post would set the record straight here. Apologize to Bob and be done.
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 02:28 PM
g'day Bob,
I know I'm coming to the party a bit late, but FWIW, the absolute best way to handle morons like that is to simply ignore them - NEVER let them know they got a hit.

Rather, if the post is offensive enough then report it to a mod with the request to have it removed, but never respond - that just adds fuel to the fire.

You are one of natures gentlemen sir, please do as your conscience dictates. But if you want a win, stick around and make the moron become frustrated.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 02:49 PM
Hi Bob

Glad you clarified your reasons. When you announced your departure
Quote:

It’s time for me to leave, at least for a while.

I didn't know what to think. Thought maybe the County Sheriff or Homeland Security was coming for you

Your choice to go of course . . . maybe a short vacation . . . but as I see it, there are too many pluses for hanging around, to let one bad driver chase you from the highway.

As Harry Chapin once wrote: "Sometimes words can serve me well and sometimes words can go to Hell, for all that they do."
The good words coming your way far outweigh the bad.

Hang tough - Ian
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 05:21 PM
I'm not a good chess player but I like the game. Several yrs ago i started playing on the Yahoo games area and come to find out that when some of the kids start losing a game they simply won't make a move, so they don't have a loss in their stats.
There's no telling who's on the other end of the keyboard, except by the help and good friendship they show, stick around, it's a good group and that's harder to find that most think.
Wyndham
Posted By: KeithS Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 07:06 PM
Quote:

But the plural of Ya'll is "All Ya'll"...

Everyone knows that the proper word is "youns".
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 08:36 PM
"youns" come to see us "Weuns" when ya'll have a mind to.
nite uncle Jim Bob, "Nite" ta'll
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 10:33 PM
Bob,

Not sure about all the BS you have been going through here on the forum but I am still sorry for it. For the most part I don't have a clue (other than whats posted in this thread) as to why you feel compelled to leave the group. But all I'll ask you to do is weight the "Good" here vs. the "Bad" here and after doing so you may want to re-think your decision.

I do know if you leave we will loose "one hell of a picker"!

Later,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/09/10 11:42 PM
Oooh i don't know i saw Conley picking his nose just the other day!
Posted By: toucher Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/10/10 03:50 AM
Dang, looks like I missed a bunch of stuff during my move. I've been gone awhle, although no one seemed to notice, (talk about a lack of attention) . Still rather random as we get the new place set up and the home studio put back together. Forums seems to be the place to get your feelings hurt if you are susceptible to that sort of thing. Things usually don't bother me unless I feel someone is going out of their way to ride a high horse.

Anyway back to the grind, Bob, I hope you hang around, I always enjoy your wit.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/10/10 04:38 AM
They have horses here?!?! Dang it I miss all the fun!

Eaaaaaaasy Rusty!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Time to say goodbye - 06/10/10 07:58 AM
Keep on making music! God bless!!!

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
© PG Music Forums