PG Music Home
Posted By: joemardo1 Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/08/10 11:40 PM
Just seen this in a computer mag ezmix from

http://www.toontrack.com/news.asp?id=169

I wonder does it make life easier for the non expert among us?

thanks
Joe
Posted By: Skyline Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/09/10 08:08 AM
Yes, I bought it as soon as it was announced. It's ludicrously cheap and I was delighted to find it does exactly what it says on the tin!

I've been at this recording lark for years and although I know all the theory of EQ, FX, etc. I've always been frustrated at how I can know all this stuff but still have to do zillions of trial and error tweaks to try and get the finished sounds I want. By which time my ears are tired, all creativity has evaporated and I'm depressed. I guess that's what comes of working alone as opposed to being trained in a pro studio by a pro.

With EZMix you can very quickly audition complete 'bundles' of tweaks, for example with vocals selected in one dropdown you can rapidly audition complete sets in a second dropdown of EQ, reverb, compression all combined together by an expert, then stop when you like what you hear. I first used it on the vocals of the last track I posted here and got a great sound on the vocals literally in seconds!

I know some purists will hate it on the grounds that they hate presets, when their real underlying objection will be something like "Hey, I spent years learning this stuff and now amateurs can dial it all in straight away!". I guess there were tape purists who took years learning how to cut and splice with razor blade and sticky tape only to see their skills made redundant overnight.

Anyway, five stars from me. I'd have paid twice the price for it and it's certainly the best purchase I've made in years!
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/09/10 08:40 AM
Thanks for the review Skyline, you have me seriously thinking of spending a few pounds!

Joe
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/10/10 06:28 PM
Hi Joe,
After reading your post I went and had a look at this plugin.

I was impressed by it so I went and purchased it.

FYI: I have Window 7 64 bit operating system.
The blurb on the website says it will work with Windows 7.
It didn't with my version which is home version, kept coming up with an error during install.

But, there is a 32 bit version in the purchase price so I tried that.

Success, the plugin works well and it works well with RealBand.

Just thought I would let you know.

Michee
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/10/10 06:47 PM
Hello George,

Thanks very much for the thumbs up as regards this plugin, I have windows 7 32 bit as well so that is good.

Thanks once again to Skyline as well for his review,Time to get the cc out as I'm off to buy it now.

Joe
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/10/10 07:14 PM
John, I've just checked it out......have to agree........like having an extra.....(more experienced) ....pair of ears....to rely on. I too, may buy it.......what am I saying.........I'm Scottish! Ah well! Thanks again, Joe G.
Posted By: JEP Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/11/10 10:01 PM
I tried hard to forget your review, Skyline. It's bookmarked now, so the next time I'm sad & confused in front of a daw, I know where I'm heading. Probably sooner rather than later.

- Jepster
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/12/10 04:20 AM
I own it also, and find it to be pretty good for quick mixes, but it will never replace your ears & tweaking effects to the song....ya just can not slap the same effects chain on every track, every time, and it turn out sounding great every time!

With that said, I feel it is worth the $$ just to have it in your box of tricks.

And of course this is all IMHO, YMMV, yada yada....
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/13/10 10:34 AM
Hi Skyline,

Does your EZMIX plugin stick to the track?

I can insert the plugin into the track and listen to it OK but when I merge to audio or save as a wave file then it is as though the track is dry.
That is unless I do the following:

Workaround is as follows:

Select track that you wish EZMix to be in. Select EXMix preset that you like (this step is not really necessary it just lets you hear the preset you like)
Once happy that the sound is as you require - Right Click on the track and select Audio Effects - Choose DirectX Audio Plugins and from the list select EZMix Plugin
Set preset as you wish (if you have tweaked, then re-tweak)
Listen to track with preview - if happy click on Process.
It will now change the Audio and it will Stick. Just remember to save a copy before you process as it is destructive.

Best regards
Michee

P.S Perhaps PG Music staff will be interested as to why it doesn't stick unless you do the above.

I had to install the 32 bit version of EZMIX as the 64 bit version wouldn't install on my system.
My System is Windows 7 64 Bit,i7, 4gb ram.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Anyone try ezmix plugin? - 06/13/10 07:52 PM
Quote:

Hi Skyline,

Does your EZMIX plugin stick to the track?

I can insert the plugin into the track and listen to it OK but when I merge to audio or save as a wave file then it is as though the track is dry.
That is unless I do the following:

Workaround is as follows:

Select track that you wish EZMix to be in. Select EXMix preset that you like (this step is not really necessary it just lets you hear the preset you like)
Once happy that the sound is as you require - Right Click on the track and select Audio Effects - Choose DirectX Audio Plugins and from the list select EZMix Plugin
Set preset as you wish (if you have tweaked, then re-tweak)
Listen to track with preview - if happy click on Process.
It will now change the Audio and it will Stick. Just remember to save a copy before you process as it is destructive.

Best regards
Michee

P.S Perhaps PG Music staff will be interested as to why it doesn't stick unless you do the above.

I had to install the 32 bit version of EZMIX as the 64 bit version wouldn't install on my system.
My System is Windows 7 64 Bit,i7, 4gb ram.

Probably another good reason to only use Realband in the initial stages of a song using it for what it does best generating the realtracks and converting all the midi to audio then importing into another sequencer such as cubase that doesn't have the above problem with EZmix.

Joe
© PG Music Forums