PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie McG Magic Jack VoIP - 06/23/10 10:02 PM
Anyone have any experience with Magic Jack (VoIP)? I'm getting rid of my land line and will only use my cell phone. But I started thinking I might try Magic Jack. Does it use a lot of bandwidth? Thanks.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 06:56 AM
Never heard of it, Charlie. Sorry.

Skype is good though - you could run it off the back of an old 386 if you had to
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 11:43 AM
Hey, Sam. Thanks for replying. I was thinking of Skype as well but read that all people you call also need to have Skype or there is a fee.

I've been reading about Magic Jack. Walmart carries it and to me that is a plus. They wouldn't get involved in total junk and you can return it. And lots of people don't like it but lots do. So I think I'll give it a shot.
Posted By: Axegrinder01 Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 02:44 PM
Be prepared for a great deal of spamware, adware, and general spyware. Also there is virtually no customer support and some serious security issues.

Before you go for it, google majicjack and read some reviews and complaints.

I believe that Skype is a far better choice, or Vonnage.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 03:08 PM
I'll check with my brother to see whether he has Skype or Vonage. He is in Japan, but kept a San Diego number, so we can talk as if we were on domestic cell phones--no charge beyond the monthly fee for either of us. Whichever it is, quality is quite good.

R.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 04:05 PM
The problem with MagicJack, of course, is that you have to plug it into a USB port on your computer. Were you planning on leaving your computer running 24/7?

Skype is nice, but again, falls into the category of 'if you're computer isn't on, you don't get Skype calls.' Now, that's not exactly true, as there are Skype devices that attach directly to your network, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars.

Vonage will plug directly into your network, allowing you freedom from the computer. Depending on what ISP you have, Comcast for instance, you can get a bundled package with VOIP. I have that, and my phone calls are indistinguishable from land lines.

Finally, you have to have a broadband connection. I don't know what the minimums are, but don't try downloading big files and talking on Magic Jack at the same time. Also, if you have a USB mouse, or other USB device on the computer, you may run into clicking or other audio artifacts (I'm not sure about that, I've never tried it, but have seen it in other audio applications).

My two cents.

Gary
Posted By: KeithS Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 04:17 PM
I don't have any VoIP phones myself but I have several friends and relatives that do. Just a personal observation, when I talk to them on my land line or cell phone, their call quality sounds like crap to me at least half the time, yet on their end, it sounds clear as a bell. I also noticed one time when my brother had his speaker phone activated that there was a large delay between speaking something, and it actually getting to the other phone. I could hear what I had said 5 to 10 seconds earlier coming back to me over the phone while the speaker phone was active on his end.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have it installed and have only talked to my daughter. The reception was not as clear as my land line but definitely comparable to my cell. It seems to be OK so far but, like I say, I just installed it (which is a breeze).

I get voice mail and haven't looked into what else I get. One thing nice with the voice mail is that it sends you an email when you have a message with an included wav file. You can just click and listen on your computer. There's a control panel that comes with it and it does have an adverts on it but all you have to do is minimize it out of the way.

Gary, I always leave my computer on 24/7 and have broadband. I read that during sleep it doesn't work but that sounds logical. On the downloading of large files, if it interferes, I'll just pull the plug.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 07:17 PM
It won't work if the computer goes to sleep or into hibernation because none of the USB devices are active at that time, including Magic Jack.

Gary
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 07:18 PM
Keith,
I'm surprised, since I use Comcast VOIP and have standard realtime conversations. You would think that people would notice a five or ten second delay, especially if both of them were using VOIP.

Now, on the other hand, I have notice a second or two delay using something like Skype, from computer to computer. However, it's not long enough that it really bothers me, or anyone else.

Gary
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/24/10 08:55 PM
I read earlier that the delay was caused by slower connections. I haven't noticed that at all while I've been talking. I have noticed some gliches but nothing that I haven't experienced multiple times over with my cell. If it continues the way it's been so far I'll be satisfied (famous last words).
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 01:40 AM
Here is my brother's response:

Quote:

Vonage.

For me, the great difference is my set-up is completely independent of my computer. My computer can be turned off, and my phone still works.

Skype & Magic Jack plug into your computer. You have to boot up to make a call, and more importantly if your computer is off you can't receive calls. That doesn't appeal to me at all.

I've heard good reviews of Magic Jack; hadn't heard about the spam.

HTH,

Richard
Posted By: rharv Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 11:08 AM
Quote:

Keith,
I'm surprised, since I use Comcast VOIP and have standard realtime conversations. You would think that people would notice a five or ten second delay, especially if both of them were using VOIP.

Now, on the other hand, I have notice a second or two delay using something like Skype, from computer to computer. However, it's not long enough that it really bothers me, or anyone else.

Gary

Remember in this situation you are often hearing 2X the actual delay. The delay it takes for your voice to get to the other end, come out of the speaker, and come back to you .... plus when on 'speaker mode' most phone level systems have a cut-in/out factor to eliminate feedback that may be adding to the delay.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 01:53 PM
My Mother used Magic Jack and hated it. Too many issues to list here but the main one was dropped calls and the phone would actually ring 4 times (on the caller end) before it rang once on the magic jack end. Also it would go into a mode of ringing once and going directly to voice mail.

I have used Vonage before and had no issues, but now I just do cell phones and a cell phone "card" for the computer.

Best of luck,
Posted By: redguitars Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 02:35 PM
We use Skpe here in NY on our PC to her Mac, using the Internet to Video Chat with our daughter and grandchildren in England. We bought a Webcam and she has one built into her Apple Laptop.
Hardly a glitch and it is so cool to always see them. The 5 hour time difference is always a mind bender.
It's changed our lives and it's all free. Very Cool!

Wayne,
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 09:55 PM
I truly like the video chat with Skype, especially since I got a Logitech 9000 Pro webcam. This webcam is so good that I've had people watching shadows of the trees outside on the wall behind me. They noticed them, but I didn't!

I bought one as a gift for a friend whom I talk with regularly. It was a refurbished one I got from Newegg, and that's also how I bought mine. Both of us, and a third person who bought one on our recommendation, are very pleased with the results.

The one thing about Skype, right now, is that you can't do multiple video conferencing, but on individual calls, Skype and the Logitech 9000 Pro are wonderful.

Gary
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 10:12 PM
I use Cox cable for internet and HD Tv, and bundled in is Telephone and unlimited Long distacne for a very reasonable price. Until VOIP becomes a tad better i will stick to that. I do Skype with my brother on occasions from Calif to South Carolina, it goes off with out a glicth most of the time. I have had it freeze on occasion.
Posted By: redguitars Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/25/10 10:43 PM
Yes Gary, we bought the same webcam and it works great! Being in NY and talking to our Daughter and two kids, 4 and 5 years old and they being in England is a dream come true.
Since she uses a Laptop, she carries it with her from room to room and we get to see everything. She even points it out thier glass doors to the yard and we watch our grandchildren playing.
Also the sound is great.
What a blessing it is.

I'm sure one day they will have more than one on one chats with video. But for now this is all we use it for anyway and a phone call just won't cut it after Video Chat. And it's free. The cost of international phone calls is not in our budget.

Wayne,
Posted By: rharv Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/26/10 12:11 AM
What you can get from Skype for free is pretty amazing.
We have half a dozen full feature unlimited phone numbers from them (which is a deal in itself), but the regular free features are used day after day, all day long. Conference calls (audio), video calls, file transfers, etc etc
For the free features; it's a no-brainer.

As far as dropped calls go - I drop more cell phone calls up here than skype calls
Posted By: ikeinblackriver Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/26/10 04:03 AM
This post would be for those using satellite high-speed Internet (i.e. Hughes) ...

We are located in back-woods, northern Michigan and so we were forced to use Hughesnet if we wanted high-speed. We tried my son's MajJk on our quadcore (using Hughes satellite) and it was lousy. Hughes says there's always going to be a latency issue with regard to VoIP. So, we're sticking with the cell-phones instead.

Also, I did try a trial version of Skype and I don't know if the latency issues I was experiencing was simply a switch setting somewhere, but I doubt it. I thought it would run the trial version okay (since it claimed to be a full working version) but ultimately got inpatient with it when I couldn't resolve the latency issues and the docs and settings were getting too time-consuming for me. I would like to hear from anyone who's got it to work with satellite Internet though.
Posted By: rharv Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/26/10 03:04 PM
I think that is a caveat with satellite. There are extra steps involved in connecting to the internet. The signal has to go up, over, back down to a tower and then to an internet server (and return the same way). DSL uses fiber optics to connect to internet servers after going through a few wired switches, and cable does the same without the added steps of satellite.

There's no internet in the sky (yet), It's all down here... If it seems 'fast' otherwise it is because of good bandwidth; once the connection is made large amounts of data can stream, but for 'realtime' streaming the added steps become more noticable. Also I bet satellite waves aren't quite as fast as light.
Plus if you are up where I think you are, I bet there are a couple relay towers involved.

If you are up in black river, I admire your choice. Very pretty up there.
I built a house for a guy on one of the lakes up there - north of town. You probably saw the crane sticking up through the trees a few years back. The crane I ordered broke down so they sent their brand new one with 300 ft boom. It was HUGE. I went to town to pick something up, and when I started driving back I could see the boom sticking up way above the trees. It looked hilarious to me since it was a small 32' house we were setting, and required only about 10% of that crane's ability. They were worried about scratching the paint on their new crane, trying to get it parked in the trees inside an area I had set up for a crane half that size.

A few locals came out to see what was going on.
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/26/10 08:46 PM
I use Magic Jack. It's really great. Only thing is it requires DSL and a computer. Sometimes after the computer's been on for a few days it sounds garbled. No problem. I just re-boot the computer and all is well for a few more days. I bought 5 years worth of service. Usually Magic Jack is $20 a year but, once you install it, they'll offer you a 5 year service for $10 a year. It's great for dealing long distance. I think I can even call Canada with it no charge. If you want to call someone in India it's 5ยข a minute. Not a bad deal.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/28/10 02:01 AM
Great product. I have 3 busy inbound call lines at my business, regular land lines not on Majik Jack. I connected one Majik Jack to one of our computers, plugged in an additional set of 3 wireless phones the one Majik Jack. The main "Majik Jack" phone base is connected to the Majik Jack at computer station #3. The other 2 wireless phones are a stations 1 and 2. We use the Majik Jack to make outbound calls so we do not tie up our incoming call lines that our customers call in on. Of course we can only use one Majik Jack connected phone at a time because they are all on one Majik Jack. Just like you would do at home if you were to buy a set of 3 cordless phones and run them off of on wall jack. Reduced my phone bill/s by around $25 - $40 per month. I believe I got the 2 year plan and will gladly renew when due.
Caveats are not difficult to deal with.
A. Clear you cookies and cache to prevent garbling sounds when you computer runs low on memory which has only happened once since we maintain our computers regularly.
B. Drag the Majik Jack window to the far bottom right corner where it is barely visible (mostly off the screen) so when it pops up each and every time you use it it is out of the way and not bothersome.
C. Can't use it for a fax machine but so what.
I can't think of any other issues or complaints and been using it every work day for well over a year now.
Bought a second one for the house a few months ago. We'll use call farwarding from our main business land line and forward it to the home Majik Jack so my wife can take calls at home and not have to be at our business. This leaves her cell phone available for personal calls without interupting business.
Like I said, Great little gadget. My dad told me about it and had been using it for over a year himself without issues.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 06/28/10 08:58 AM
Thanks to all for replying. No problems so far with it. I've hooked it up to another computer because I like my main one to sleep when I'm not using it. And if I compared it to a land line, the land line wins.

And on the lighter side, I don't care what you discuss, be it religion, sex, clothes, dirt, toothpicks, politics, etc. There is going to be someone who likes it and someone who don't.
Posted By: ikeinblackriver Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 07/09/10 04:01 AM
Quote:

Black River's getting repaved this summer. This has brought neighbors out to watch the action ... and half of them I didn't even know lived here! Oh man, you should have seen 'em when the post office got built! You'd think we were on the Moon for goodness sake!

And now PC's, fiber optic, high-speed Internet? Oh forget it! Folks here go to the grocery store once every six weeks! I'm guess'n nobody told 'em they could come out after the first snow stopped!

I played a bit of guitar around the backyard fire pit over the holiday ... Started out just me, my wife and the dog ... Next thing I know I've got at least a dozen neighbors over to see what all the commotion is all about!
Posted By: Lee Rain Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 07/17/10 10:18 AM
I'll check with my brother to see whether he has Skype or Vonage. He is in Japan, but kept a San Diego number, so we can talk as if we were on domestic cell phones--no charge beyond the monthly fee for either of us. Whichever it is, quality is quite good
Posted By: rharv Re: Magic Jack VoIP - 07/17/10 12:01 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Black River's getting repaved this summer. This has brought neighbors out to watch the action ... and half of them I didn't even know lived here! Oh man, you should have seen 'em when the post office got built! You'd think we were on the Moon for goodness sake!

And now PC's, fiber optic, high-speed Internet? Oh forget it! Folks here go to the grocery store once every six weeks! I'm guess'n nobody told 'em they could come out after the first snow stopped!

I played a bit of guitar around the backyard fire pit over the holiday ... Started out just me, my wife and the dog ... Next thing I know I've got at least a dozen neighbors over to see what all the commotion is all about!

Sounds like the Black River I remember!
© PG Music Forums