PG Music Home
Posted By: Curmudgeon Computer Noise - 10/23/10 02:57 PM
Hi friends,

Since 8-4, my computer has been in the process of being repaired by the warranty company. After replacing 3 motherboards, the power supply and the processor, they determined that a bad memory stick was causing all of the problems in the first place. I should add that each visit causes a 3 week wait for back ordered parts. The tech. is to return and replace the 1 gig memory stick.

The computer is running, but when the fan kicks into high speed, it sounds like the wife is running a mixer or vacuum cleaner on the other side of the house.
I definitely won't be doing any recording with this machine. Thanks for listening to my rant, what I need to know is:

Can this excess noise be from the missing 1 gig memory stick? It is a 6 gig machine. Also, the front USB is dead. Can this be activated from a menu?

Don S.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 03:03 PM
might be the bearing in the fan. I have on like that.
Wyndham
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 03:33 PM
Question 1. No.
Question 2. The tech probably did not connect the case's front panel leads to the motherboard correctly, or at all.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 04:21 PM
Tell us this is not a Dell, I love Dell's and would never expect this type of issues.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comments. No this is not a Dell. In fact I've been using my Dell XP and wondering why I ever bought a new one.

Don S.
Posted By: rharv Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 05:13 PM
Is this, by chance, a laptop? I know the fans can seem pretty intrusive in laptops when they kick up to high speed, but they have to in order to keep it from burning up.
Some are louder than others. I've heard some that really caught my attention.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 08:43 PM
No Bob, this is an HP desktop. What really gets me is the way the warranty techs solve the problems by substitution. After the second mo/b wouldn't work, they ordered a new Mo/b, a PS, and a processor. So I've got some new parts, but a basically useless computer. I've sure that they will order still more parts with the resulting 3 week wait.

Don S.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 09:36 PM
Mind telling us the make and were not to buy one?
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 10:11 PM
Quote:

Mind telling us the make and were not to buy one?

It's an HP desktop that I bought from NewEgg. The warranty company is Service Net which I gather is an arm of New Egg.

Don S.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Computer Noise - 10/23/10 10:43 PM
other don,

sorry to hear you are having problems. in the service biz we called that 'shotguning' the problem. if the tech replaces enough parts he/she is bound to solve the problem eventually. we independent servicers didn't have the luxury of an unlimited supply of spares in their 'boneyard' so the techs had to actually diagnose the problem before throwing the customer's loonies at it...strange concept, huh?

my wife is 68 and dell sent her a hard drive for her new laptop and told her to replace it herself under warranty. it was obviously used...the mounting holes were stripped. but she manged it but now the drive bounces around if she doesn't keep it laying flat. that is known as 'excellent customer support.' then have the audacity (where have i heard that word?) to plead for her 'perfect' satisfaction report.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 03:35 AM
Don,

Interesting concept. That's the way I used to solve automotive electrical problems 50 some years ago when I was a teenager. Between the battery, voltage regulator and generator, a mistake or 2 was still cheaper than paying a garage bill.

Don S.
Posted By: Mac Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 12:39 PM
"Parts replacement technician"

as opposed to:

"Mechanic"

Sign of the times and the technology.

To be fair, these days many mfr's actually mandate whole board replacement when in warranty over repair at the component level.

--Mac
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 01:01 PM
Mac,

Although I build my own “puters”, I must admit that I’m at a loss when trying to figure out what has failed when the thing dies. A power supply failure is pretty easy to detect, because the thing literally “stinks” when it fails. You can smell it. (Nothin’ like the smell of fried electronics in the mornin’).

And hard drives usually start making a racket before they go out. Video cards are also pretty easy since the computer fires up and runs, but you have nothing on the screen. But what about MOBO’s, processors and memory? I’ve never had these 3 items fail, but I have had power supplies, hard drives and video cards fail.

Any tips on the others?
Posted By: rharv Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 01:26 PM
In my limited experience-
MOBO's failing usually start with a device failure. Something that is there and has been working suddenly appears not to be there. (IDE controller, sound or video card etc)
Device manager will show problems.
Sometimes looking in the BIOS can tell you what's wrong. (again, checking the BIOS for power supply output can give you a heads up on power supplies going bad too).

Memory can be trickier without testing it. Systems will try to run even when mem chips start going bad, just lots of errors occurring or performance suddenly lacking.

Processors? Never had one go, ever. They seem to outlast most other components, unless overclocked, underfanned or burned by the power supply.

For many device failures, the power supply should still be considered as an early option.
Hard drive acting funny? Check voltage to it. Drive may be fine, just not getting correct power. I've had more than one drive I thought went bad come back to life with a new power supply.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 01:41 PM
Good tips rharv.

Thanks
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Computer Noise - 10/24/10 09:45 PM
Another tip when checking voltage from suspect power supplies:
Set your meter on AC and check for "ripple" on the DC. A modern digital multi meter should show zero volts when set to low AC voltage settings whilst testing DC rails. I have seen ripples as low as 2mV cause problems. Ripple is an indication of inadequate filtering. If the supply used to be good but has developed ripple then the most likely culprits are ageing electrolytic capacitors.

<edit> Umm, small caveat here: You will always see some ripple as power supplies aren't perfect, but you should expect less than 2mV.

The 12 Volt rails are less critical than the 5V and 3.3V. The CPU will also have additional power regulation and filtering on the motherboard. As a result, power problems will be more evident in other circuitry; like cards in slots, IO devices, video cards, RAM etc..
Posted By: John Conley Re: Computer Noise - 10/25/10 01:17 AM
"ageing electrolytic capacitors. " I think I resemble that symptom.
Posted By: furry Re: Computer Noise - 10/26/10 10:56 AM
I'd ask them to exchange the fan for a larger one. A cd drive not seated properly can also make a racket. Try disconnecting the cd drive to see if that makes a difference. Do you have a graphics card with a cooling fan on it ? If so it could be THAT which is noisy ?
A larger PSU often makes a big difference too.
Posted By: furry Re: Computer Noise - 10/26/10 10:57 AM
Quote:

"ageing electrolytic capacitors. " I think I resemble that symptom.

John, If what I have don't hurt, ten it don't work
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Computer Noise - 10/29/10 12:52 PM
My two cents. I had a noisy fan once. I brought the peuter in and asked for a better quality noisless fan. They changed the fan and presto no niose.
© PG Music Forums