PG Music Home
Posted By: WienSam Learning songs - 11/15/10 05:09 AM
I am having problems with learning songs. I can play them fluently enough but I can't get off the sheet music. I should know the answer to this but does anybody have any tips? I have a Christmas gig playing Irish covers. Anybody got any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 06:46 AM
i play by ear exclusively and wouldn't know what to do with the sheet music less'n (oklahoman for unless) it included the lyrics, so my suggestion will seem unorthodox, but listen intently to the songs until you can both sing and play them in your sleep and strive to break away from the sheets with the little mouse droppings on them. unless its an orchestral score you seldom see a professional musician who is tied to sheet music...they memorize both the words and the music. so, my friend, simon, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to learn the songs inside and out, frontward and backward until you can play them flawlessly from memory. the best musicians i've ever known were a combination of sight readers and a fabulous set of ears.

warning: (actung) this message will self-destruct in 30 seconds!

(somebody will jump in here and tell me that i have misspelled 'actung' in which event i will whip out my german poetic license, which i recently renewed, and thumb my nose at somebody.)
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 07:00 AM
Thanks to the Okie from Muscogee!

And?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 07:30 AM
i wrote a very clever retort about your use of your oklahoman poetic license then hit a wrong button and dispatched it to the ozone layer. you were kind to me on the spelling of 'actung' so i wont tell anyone its spelled or spelt muskogee. shhhhhhh!
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 08:37 AM
Hi Sam,

The best (and only) way I know how to memorize songs and music is by playing them over and over again. Get rid of the paperwork ASAP; that's going to force you to use your memory. Doesn't matter if you mess it up at first. You will know where you went wrong and correct it. The next time around you'll remember the spots you messed up and you'll remember what to play and/or sing. Repeat until song is memorized and move on to the next song. If you have mastered that one, play song one and two and continue learning song three.

Repeat process until the complete show is memorized. After that you just have to play all the songs every now and then to keep them at the ready. If you are planning to do a fixed set-list, it is worth to practice every song in that order every tim you practice. Not only will the songs sink in, but the set-list will be memorized too. This in turn will give you more self confidence during your gig.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 11:01 AM
Sam,

I have always learned other people's music by transcribing the lyrics. I have a good enough grasp of theory that by the time I do that I have pretty well sussed out the chord structure. I then write that down on the transcribed lyric sheet. Although I am primarily a guitarist, I use the piano to figure out any chords or changes that I don't have down after going through the first two steps.

By the time I have done all that the song is just about memorized. I opened a show one evening with two songs I had learned that way just that afternoon.

I go a step further with songs that require dramatic interpretation. A great example is Mickey Newbury's "American Trilogy," which includes spoken word. I have developed a notation for where to breathe and how to emphasize parts of the text in different ways. (I did this when performing "Trilogy" before a large church congregation whilst also being broadcast live. I DEFINITELY used a lyric sheet for that performance and would recommend that others do also.)

This does require that I have a recording of the song in question. Downloads from iTunes or elsewhere are likely cheaper than sheet music. Why not give it a go and let me know how it works for you.

Richard
Posted By: Mac Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 12:35 PM
Daily Repetition without the sheet.

Refer to the sheet only when you make a mistake or draw a blank and then refer to that sheet only as long as it takes to clarify. Then go back to the beginning of the song and try to make it all the way through without that mistake.

The art and science of practicing.

Our brains learn through repetition, which somehow establishes the memory association needed to recall what comes next.

If you follow this regimen you should find that it takes longer at first to memorize a song, later on as you progress, that time diminishes to the point where you might be able to memorize a new song in a matter of a few hours or less.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 01:52 PM
Irish Covers?

For Christmas?

Wow.

There are a few Irish Christmas songs. Somehow they involve alcohol. Odd.

In proper Irish terminology, as I was taught at my first Irish gigs where I sat in on on accordion.."First we get rid of that paper wifde flyshite on it, anhaveaguiness, play 'till 2 and on our bikes.
Posted By: Richard-Stan's Fan Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 03:12 PM
Quote:

Daily Repetition without the sheet.

Refer to the sheet only when you make a mistake or draw a blank and then refer to that sheet only as long as it takes to clarify. Then go back to the beginning of the song and try to make it all the way through without that mistake.

The art and science of practicing.

Our brains learn through repetition, which somehow establishes the memory association needed to recall what comes next.

If you follow this regimen you should find that it takes longer at first to memorize a song, later on as you progress, that time diminishes to the point where you might be able to memorize a new song in a matter of a few hours or less.

--Mac

I fully agree with Mac, I do not think that there is any other way to memorise a melody. Learn the lyrics too, to get a true feel for the song. I must say that the middle eights can be the most difficult to remember.
Posted By: DennisD Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 09:09 PM
Sam, here is my method. I always try to work from a melody score sheet (I have quite an extensive library). If I don't have the score, I record the song into the "wizard" and work the chord changes from there. Once I have the proper chords and their duration notated, I load them into BIAB. I will also work the chord structure out from a lyric sheet and enter it into BIAB, but I found I can do it faster using the previous method. By the time I have the song entered into BIAB I have most if not all of the melody nailed. I then play the BIAB and sing the melody (even if there are no lyrics). I do this over and over until I can sing the lyrics accapella. Repetition is the key here, there are no short cuts. By the time I have a reasonable command of this, I also have the chord progressions and my arrangements in hand. I still use the lead sheets as "crib notes" when playing as there could be some time from when I last performed that particular song and I simply forget some of the nuances I may have put in my arrangement. What ever the method, the common thread here is to select your song(s) and learn them (repetition) so you can perform them in some kind of fashion with just you and your instrument. What can be very useful is if there is an acoustic jam venue available to you. Although your approach should still be "the best you can be" this is an excellent place to perform publicly and try the song out without the demands of your professional performance.DennisD
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Learning songs - 11/15/10 10:20 PM
+1 on Mac's post. I don't know of a better way to do it.

Notes
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/16/10 01:28 AM
Thanks guys!

I know the melodies, no problem. I just can't remember all the right lyrics or the chord changes needed. Maybe it is because I am working from lyric & chord sheets on the computer screen? They work fine but my memory just won't hold. It is interesting that sometimes I can't even remember the songs I am working on when I am not in front of the computer. Kind of like trying to think of a song in a bar when another song is being played?

I did think to watch videos on YouTube of the greats performing the songs before I played them so that maybe I could visualise them while playing but that hasn't helped. Last night I was with a friend and we thought maybe it is because they are on screen and not on paper? Maybe by actually handwriting them down that might fix them in my memory? My friend suggested actually making key words of each verse and then boiling those down. It worked for me at university... I have 6 weeks to go and so 2 songs a week to burn into my brain. Into my second week now and for the first week I worked on just 2 songs over and over again, this week I am doing the first 2 songs once or twice through before I work on this week's two, thus building up my list in the right order. And so on...

Checked in with a pro session guitarist in Nashville earlier today and he confirmed that many Nashville pros still use song sheets on stage (seems a bit strange to me but if he says so he should know).

Here's the set list for those interested (line up will be me on vox and guitar plus a flautist and a bodran player):

1 Christmas In Killarney
2 Whiskey In The Jar
3 Danny Boy (guitar and flute only)
4 Dirty Old Town
5 Wild Rover
6* Garry Owen

pause

7 Star Of The County Down
8 Seven Drunken Nights
9 Will Ye Go Lassie Go (maybe just flute?)
10 As I Roved Out
11 Molly Malone
12** Fairytale of New York

first end

13 Fields Of Athenry
14 An Irish Lullaby (a capella)
15 Drunken Sailor

Repetition, repetition, repetition... Maybe the hand writing might work?
Posted By: John Conley Re: Learning songs - 11/16/10 02:23 AM
Which version of 7 Drunken nights? LOL.

So I called the wife and I says to her. Then the audience should do the rest. ....

At least I don't have to learn any of those. I think I always knew them....

A long time ago I learned to have a small sheet with each set and keywords and basic changes on it. Unless you do the same show every night. Even those songs listed above I know them, and which key, but sometimes a fiddle players sits in and you end up with lots of sharps. Then I write the chords over the regular ones. I have some sheets where I've done that 2 times over the regular ones.

Would you kindly tell to me.....

Who's pipe is that ....upon..
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/17/10 01:16 AM
Whose thing is that within your thing where my old thing should be?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Learning songs - 11/17/10 02:58 AM
I was thinking of writing a song called "Old guys can't remember the words"

then, once I had announced the title, people would understand if I forgot the rest and just had to hum the melody.

;-)
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning songs - 11/17/10 03:53 AM
sam, i hope you're planning to video this gig!
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/17/10 12:59 PM
No, I am NOT!
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Learning songs - 11/17/10 01:14 PM
Why not?

Or are you planning on performing in a reindeer suit? (ducks and runs)
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/18/10 12:01 AM
No camera
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning songs - 11/18/10 12:17 AM
sam, you can buy an adequate 'flip' video for about 30 quid. why deprive us?
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/18/10 01:15 AM
The physical writing down of the lyrics idea I had is working! I tried it today. I wrote down the lyrics for Christmas In Killarney, thought about the story line and I had learnt it in an hour. Another hour and I had the chords cracked. Now it is a bit slow but I know where I am and what I'm doing. Just need to keep the story in front of my eyes and I'm there! Wahey!

What is a 'flip' video?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Learning songs - 11/18/10 01:56 AM
Sam,

Quote:

What is a "Flip" video?

Here's google's 12,200,000 answers to that question.

http://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+a...amp;ie=&oe=
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning songs - 11/18/10 03:04 AM
i paid us$80 for mine. it has a 'flip' out usb connector and the firmware is built in. no software to install. resolution is more than adequate for youtube uploads and you can shoot about two hours of video with fresh alkaline piles (batteries). shirt-pocket convenience, one button operation. albeit mono audio.

sam, have squint:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flip-Video-U32120B/15120637

mine is an earlier model but looks identical. if you shop the web you can find great bargains on them. a caveat...they simply devour batteries (piles).
Posted By: WienSam Re: Learning songs - 11/20/10 01:15 AM
Thanks for the input! I am running up against a brick wall and runing out of money rapidly so there ain't no way I am going to spend that kind of money on a vidcam. Sorry
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Learning songs - 11/20/10 02:18 AM
Quote:

I wrote down the lyrics for Christmas In Killarney, thought about the story line and I had learnt it in an hour. Another hour and I had the chords cracked.

That's the ticket! It's all I've ever done. (Well, almost; I can read for voice and bass--but I rarely memorize when I do.) I believe it is the fastest and most effective way to learn SONGS for performance. Way ta go!

R.
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Learning songs - 11/21/10 10:22 PM
Folks have different levels of retaining things in their memory. There are some who can go over s song a few times and perform them. They piss me off, I'm not one of them. It's true you do have to repeat the song over and over to memorize it. But there are a few tricks you can use to help.

1. Mind pictures-
Your memory works in pictures every day. That's the way is works best.
For example if the song is about a guy going out drinking picture a guy doing just that. "I've been a wild rover for many a year" and then picture what he did wasting his time and money "I spent all my money on whiskey and beer".
Do this for the rest of the song. I learned this song in just a couple of days using mind pictures.

2. Association-
Use a number system ex. 1 to 3 and make a rhyme for each verse
ex. 1-run (1st v.) picture a guy running away staggering down a street drunk (the more vivid and imaginative the better you remember it.)
2-zoo (2nd v.) "I went to the bar that I used to frequent" Picture a guy with a monkey and a bunch of zoo animals walking into a bar-
do this for each verse 3-tree 4-door etc.

3- Acronyms-
Form words that help you think of a main word or idea in each verse-
For example I learned the song Moonshadow by Cat Steevens in one day by using the word HELM. Whenever I sing that song I think of that word first and I've got the song nailed in two seconds. How you say-
The first verse-If I ever lose my "h" hands lose my plough lose my land (once you get hand the rhyme helps you get the rest-lose my plough lose my land
2nd v. If I ever lose my "e" eyes...
3rd v. If I ever lose my "l" land...
4th v. If I ever lose my "m" mouth..... hope this helps.
Posted By: Daisy Re: Learning songs - 11/21/10 11:31 PM
Ahhhh, Ed...

Sorry, but "l" stands for "legs" and not "land."

Are you grappling with foreclosure?

What we need is a mnemonic to let us know where we left our memory.

Daisy
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Learning songs - 11/23/10 10:49 PM
Sorry Daisy haven't sung that one in a while. Just an example of how my mind isn't that great either. But at least I got my acyonym right. I should have remembered that one because my wife has great legs LOL.
© PG Music Forums