PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob Helms Should I ..... - 01/17/11 12:49 AM
Practice real hard, or just burn my guitars and give up completely!!!

http://www.tvkim.com/watch/326/kims-picks-north-korean-girl-guitarist
Posted By: John Conley Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 01:25 AM
Well......ahem..

Now how about some kid guitarists with diapers?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpgpcRq5Qw&feature=related
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 01:27 AM
Holy cow! It's hard to believe those little hands can do that! It's obviously a combination of a true gift and an unreal amount of practice with Asian discipline. It's hard to say how good she'll be by the time she's in first grade!

I wouldn't burn the guitars just yet though.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 02:28 AM
Nah me neither, cause i can still muddle through a tune or two!!
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 04:50 AM
Thank goodness she doesn't play trombone...
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 05:16 AM
I think I'll just burn my guitars -- and my keyboards. No hope for me.

Don S.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 12:50 PM
A perfect example of what practice, good teachers, practice, discipline, practice and the love of the instrument (I hope she wasn’t forced to play) can do.

Is this the next Segovia?
Posted By: John Conley Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 01:27 PM
Once in a while I get overwhelmed by a performance and feel I want to give up.

If I listen to Oscar Peterson for an hour I probably don't play the piano for a day or so.

I remember hearing a cover band do Robert Cray's Smoking Gun once and thinking the band I played in was terrible at it, especially me trying to do the piano and organ parts.

A week or so later we were playing somewhere, had too much to drink, I remember a beer and scotch on the amp beside me, we smoked cigars at the break and we did that tune and after we were on a total high, except I knew it wasn't that good. But it was guys, good times, and the audience loved it. I miss that most about doing solo stuff. You just hang out with yourself instead of going to the stairwell and laughing about the snapped guitar string and the big blonde trying to dance on stage.

At the end of the day it's gotta be about memories of good times. Not enough of those to go around, even if you have a thousand.

Just keep pluggin. I prefer the kid in diapers to the perfect setting, it's a juxtaposition of philosophy.
Posted By: liveoakk Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 01:58 PM
I am glad that I have resisted the temptation to give it all up after watching someone else who plays at an level that seems impossible to me at the time. I have fun with my guitar playing and enjoy it, and that is where it's at for me. I am getting better all the time, but I am realistic as well, knowing that there are those who will always be much better players than me. More power to them, I say, I will just enjoy what gifts I have for as long as I can.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Should I ..... - 01/17/11 03:06 PM
Quote:

Once in a while I get overwhelmed by a performance and feel I want to give up.

If I listen to Oscar Peterson for an hour I probably don't play the piano for a day or so.

I feel the same way after listening to Johnny Smith play the guitar!
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Should I ..... - 01/18/11 12:01 AM
Mario D:

When "Johnny" set up a rare Chicago Gig in 1956, at the BeeHive Lounge, there were many local pro guitarists
lining the bar...and all were cool watching him run the neck with both his improv and chordal approaches....but, "inside" what were they really thinking??

I had a seat at the end of the long, curving bar...and this is the most "fun" thing about making this
rare gig for him, being outside of NYC...It was that he had just married his second wife, and he introduced
her to me and asked if I could keep her company for the set. Of course I said yes and it didn't matter...
I was still transfixed with his playing.

Couple of weeks later, I caught Stan Getz at another small club, at the set break, he sauntered over to
the bar and took a seat at the bar right next to me. A very cool dude who was, as usual a bit high...but...at the same time, a monumental figure in the cool school. These two joined together for "Moonlight In Vermont, a very big hit that helped rocket them both to Downbeat Players of the Year...for many years.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Should I ..... - 01/18/11 12:12 AM
Quote:

Mario D:

When "Johnny" set up a rare Chicago Gig in 1956, at the BeeHive Lounge, there were many local pro guitarists
lining the bar...and all were cool watching him run the neck with both his improv and chordal approaches....but, "inside" what were they really thinking??

I had a seat at the end of the long, curving bar...and this is the most "fun" thing about making this
rare gig for him, being outside of NYC...It was that he had just married his second wife, and he introduced
her to me and asked if I could keep her company for the set. Of course I said yes and it didn't matter...
I was still transfixed with his playing.

Couple of weeks later, I caught Stan Getz at another small club, at the set break, he sauntered over to
the bar and took a seat at the bar right next to me. A very cool dude who was, as usual a bit high...but...at the same time, a monumental figure in the cool school. These two joined together for "Moonlight In Vermont, a very big hit that helped rocket them both to Downbeat Players of the Year...for many years.

You were one very fortunate individual!
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Should I ..... - 01/18/11 05:37 AM
That young girl is amazing.
Gee, I probably have things in my 'fridge that are older than her.
© PG Music Forums