PG Music Home
Posted By: musiclover Another asio question? - 02/27/11 09:02 PM
I have seen it discussed many times on here that its not really necessary to use an asio driver.
Would I be right in thinking though that recording a vocal track into realband with realband providing the backing tracks for the songs (realtracks etc) then asio is the only way to avoid latency?

thanks
Musiclover
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another asio question? - 02/27/11 10:35 PM
No
Posted By: rharv Re: Another asio question? - 02/27/11 10:47 PM
+1
Try MME and note the differences (likely none in most scenarios)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Another asio question? - 02/27/11 11:25 PM
Unless your soundcard provides direct monitoring, you cannot 'avoid' latency; you can only try to reduce it to where it is not noticeable.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Another asio question? - 02/28/11 11:19 AM
Thanks very much for replies. I must try the MME on my newer computer as I know on the old computer there was bad latency with the soundblaster card, always had to move the audio to get it playing right.

Another little thing I love the way that realband lets you render midi tracks to wav, and just wonder why programs like cubase and maybe others don't let you do this? I know that playing a midi track in cubase through a vst instrument lets you mixdown easy enough, but just wondering why such a basic thing like been able to render a midi track to wav is not there? well as far as I know anyways.

thanks a lot.

Musiclover
Posted By: oscarsuit12 Re: Another asio question? - 02/28/11 01:16 PM
im new to this forum...sorry if i cant access the topics that are discussed here...thanks for understanding...
Posted By: allis Re: Another asio question? - 02/28/11 01:49 PM
Quote:

...just wondering why such a basic thing like been able to render a midi track to wav is not there?

You are under some misapprehensions you need to correct in order to use BiaB without confusion. A Realtrack is an audio construction; it doesn't involve MIDI in any way whatever, unless it uses secret controllers that users never know about. If you insist on thinking of Realtracks as "MIDI", you are bound for bewilderment sooner or later.

Above all, the sophisticated loop-slicing, recombining, and time-stretching audio technologies of Realtracks are not basic procedures. There's no reason to expect to see them ever used this way in a less-specialized program.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another asio question? - 02/28/11 04:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

...just wondering why such a basic thing like been able to render a midi track to wav is not there?

You are under some misapprehensions you need to correct in order to use BiaB without confusion. A Realtrack is an audio construction; it doesn't involve MIDI in any way whatever, unless it uses secret controllers that users never know about. If you insist on thinking of Realtracks as "MIDI", you are bound for bewilderment sooner or later.

Above all, the sophisticated loop-slicing, recombining, and time-stretching audio technologies of Realtracks are not basic procedures. There's no reason to expect to see them ever used this way in a less-specialized program.

Larry,
I'll answer for Musiclover. he was talking about the ability to render MIDI tracks that are in RB to audio tracks. RB is not all RTs it can be a combination of the two. When I construct songs for use in my show were I use RB I first do the basic layout in BIAB. Once I open the file in RB I delete everything except the piano which is MIDI. I don't want any issue when I play so I right click on the MIDI piano part and choose" convert midi to audio track". Then I delete the MIDI piano part and use the rendered Audio piano were I can do what I want with it.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Another asio question? - 03/01/11 02:33 AM
Quote:

Another little thing I love the way that realband lets you render midi tracks to wav, and just wonder why programs like cubase and maybe others don't let you do this? I know that playing a midi track in cubase through a vst instrument lets you mixdown easy enough, but just wondering why such a basic thing like been able to render a midi track to wav is not there? well as far as I know anyways.

thanks a lot.

Musiclover

In fact, I can't think of a single main-line DAW that does NOT let you do this. The way that they do it is, in some respects, more elegant that PG products. In many of these products, this is called 'freeze'.

It let's you commit the current state of whatever midi tracks AND audio tracks to a 2 track audio file for temporary purposes - if you are just working on a stem of a mix, there's no need to bother the CPU with rendering a bunch of VSTi and VST effects on the fly that you don't plan to change while you work on a different part of the mix.

The reason this has a little more elegance is that it doesn't require one to click around, import the rendered file, etc. It all kind of happens in the background.

And as far as I know, they also will allow rendering of midi to VSTi/VST into audio tracks. BTW in Cubase, it's called 'Audio Mixdown'.

-Scott
Posted By: Deelyght Re: Another asio question? - 03/01/11 02:53 AM
I am new to this and I have real bad latency...my vocals do not match the music either in BB or RB.....is there any way to fix this?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Another asio question? - 03/01/11 03:23 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that a first time post from "Deelyght" is kinda strange? Really? Or is it "delightful"?

Or if it is a real post, why not incorporate your name into the screen name? And sign it?

There's too many anonymous post's here in my opinion. JMHO.

Most of us here know each other, (at least by first name), even if our screen names, (in rare occassions), doesn't reveal it, so I'm leary of 1st time posts like this.

Oh well.
Posted By: rharv Re: Another asio question? - 03/01/11 03:54 AM
There was another 'first post' earlier in the thread that had links in signature, that one is more suspect to me.
Deelyght seemed pretty harmless, and to answer the question they asked; yes.
Posted By: VirtualArtists Re: Another asio question? - 03/01/11 03:56 AM
Quote:

Greetings: Quick question about the RealTracks / MIDI comment above.

So if real tracks are not MIDI, then I assume you cannot write out a specific MIDI or Notation part, and have it played by RealTracks audio sound? For example, if I wanted to write out a custom bass part - or even just a specific 4 bar bass intro - with the exact bass part written out - then have it played by a RealTrack bass - I guess that is not possible?

How do you write out a specific part (played back with high quality audio) , and merge that section into a BIAB song intro or ending - maybe still using RealTrack bass for the chorus section? Do you have to use VST instruments on seperate MIDI track? I prefer not to use RealBand - since most of the live gig works well with BIAB, then must switch to RealBand for just a few arranged songs.

thanks,
© PG Music Forums