PG Music Home
Posted By: RayThigpen L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/27/11 11:43 PM
I asked this a long time ago and now can't remember the answer. Grrrr Senior Moment!

I have a KORG keyboard X2 and it has a Left and Right Output.... is there a "thingy" I can buy at Radio Shack that I could plug the cables from the Left and Right Output of that keyboard and plug in ONE RCA 1/4" into my sound card? I have a Audigy 2 ZS sound card that has an external black box to plug in Mics and instruments. I know I can use a cable out of the Left Output, but that is just pure mono.

Sorry to be a dummy... but I haven't recorded in so long, no one on here might even remember me and I've forgotten a lot about how to use RealBand and BIAB. I may have to downgrade back to PowerTracks to record from my keyboard.

Thanks for all input, guys/gals.

P.S. I have a Behringer 802 mixer (the small one from years ago), but I'd prefer to NOT have to plug up to that and go from there. Even that little mixer though has L&R outputs to the sound card... so i don't feel I really need to go through the mixer. Do you agree or disagree and why? THANKS!!!!!

I'm doing well health-wise. Wife is not doing so well. Both of us are living with diabetes and I have lung problems from 46 years of smoking. But each morning I wake up and discover I'm not six feet under, I know that it must be a good day.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/27/11 11:56 PM
Good to see you Ray.

The cable would need a stereo TRS (Tip ring sleeve). Two rings on the end vs one. I believe that will work, but not 100 % sure. I use two cables for L & R here and I get a stereo signal from my keyboard.

Trax
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 12:25 AM
This one would need the 1/8" adapter to go into soundcard. Make sure the 1/8" is a stereo TRS, like .

Trax this one
Posted By: rharv Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:04 AM
"ONE RCA 1/4"
That part confuses me. Usually Audigy cards have 1/8" stereo jacks. Not RCA (like stereo equipment) and not 1/4"

I'm thinking this would work, if you bought the rca to /14" adapter for the other end. They are only 6' long though -
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3449315

It would require two of these at the other end -
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062455

Probably better pricing to be found. These are just examples.
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:42 AM
Actually, since this Audigy card has the external BLACK BOX, the inputs are 1/4" not the 1/8".

However, I wanted both L&R out of the keyboard to go into ONE 1/4" LINE IN on the sound card black box. I can only record from one input line at a time... and with the L&R out of the keyboard, that would give me STEREO sound... but I'm not sure if there's such a thing that I want that would take the L&R output cables/connectors out of the keyboard and merge the sound into ONE INPUT JACK on the sound card black box.

Maybe what I want is something that is not possible. Would that be correct?
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:51 AM
Here's a picture of the FRONT of the black box that extends the sound card connections to an easier way to get to the connections.

There's a LINE IN 2 (for instruments the manual says) and a LINE IN 1 for microphones.... and of course headphones connection is occupied, etc.

Does this help??

Posted By: Mac Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 11:36 AM
You would still have to use two 1/4" plugs there, Ray, Line In 1 and Line In 2 and then assign them to be L and R inputs to a stereo track inside your host software for recording.

That is because neither 1/4" is wired as a single Stereo TRS jack.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 11:39 AM
Reviews seem to indicate they are mono. So I would run a regular 1/4" cable from left of keyboard to line one and right of keyboard to line two, and record them both, panned hard right and left.

Otherwise you could run a single cable from your keyboard left side output to line 1. Using just the left jack will put most synths in Mono mode.

Or get a regular 'Y' adapter and combine L&R to one line input.
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 01:40 PM
Hey, Mac.
Thanks.

So, are you saying that if I plug in the L&R from the keyboard into the Audigy Sound card to those two INPUTS on the sound card, I would arm ONE STEREO TRACK in PT or REALBAND and then.......... I get confused. I think my sound card will only record from ONE LINE INPUT at a time. I think I'm not comprehending here what I should be. Help me out---I'm stumped. Thanks, MAC!
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 01:43 PM
rharv, i think you're saying the same thing as Mac. How do I record from both inputs on the sound card? and pan Hard LEFT and RIGHT? I thought my sound card ONLY recorded from INPUT at a time.... or how would I pan hard left and right on one stereo track in PT or REALBAND??? I'm confused.

So the Y adapter is what I'm looking for. Will it take in the L&R cables and then plug into one INPUT on the sound card??? But I won't get stereo right?

Gosh! Have I really forgotten all this much? Is it a senior moment or memory loss here?

THANKS, rharv!
Posted By: rharv Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:28 PM
The 'Y' adapter will combine the stereo signal to a mono signal.

I *think* you can enable both inputs at the same time, Ray, and record from both as Mac suggested. He has experience with the Creative cards more than I. You may have to record them to two mono tracks, but you could then pan those two hard left and right and use "Track- merge two mono tracks to a stereo track" command to get them back together.

Look in your audio drivers section of PT and see if you can enable both inputs.

If that card can only record from a single mono input at a time, that would be disappointing. I doubt they would make a card like that.
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:36 PM
When I go to the RECORDING CONTROL properties, I am only able to "SELECT" or activate LINE INPUT 1 or LINE INPUT 2. I cannot SELECT or put a check mark in both of them. So I think it's ONE mono track at a time that can be recorded.

I kinda figured I had this handicap as I recall trying to do this years ago. I wanted to get the full stereo piano sound out of my KORG X2 and into PT at the time... Now I use RB and with the present soundcard... it's only gonna record one track/one input at a time... MONO.

And that's the way cookie crumbles. Dab-nab-it. Thanks, rharv! You've always taught me a lot, but I sure can't make a DELTA card out of an AUDIGY, can I? Grrrrrrrr. Such is life! I'll just record my piano as
always----------MONO (Left output).

THANKS, man. I appreciate your help!!
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 02:39 PM
I can only choose one or the other... can't select both.

Posted By: MarioD Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 09:32 PM
Ray, you are going through the Window’s recording window and from there you can only select one input regardless of what your DAW is capable of. You have to choose your recording inputs from your DAW. I use an old sonar 5.2 DAW and after I highlight all of my inputs in the preference menu I then can choose what port (input) I can record on. I have a Creative X-Fi card with a break-out box and I can record from three mics, one S/PDIF and one midi port/input all at the same time.

I just checked in Realband and under Options/preferances/2-audio I clicked on the driver window and highlighted all of my inputs; note that I am using Creative’s ASIO drivers. Now I do not use Realband so I do not know how to select which port/input to use per track however other RB pros can help you there. My bet is that if you can select them in the driver window than you can use them in the program.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: rharv Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 10:07 PM
options - preferences- audio - driver button to select inputs in PT or RB.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 10:18 PM
Ray,

If you get the adapter to the link I posted in my first "this," you can record to a stereo track with a single line input.

Trax
Posted By: rharv Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 10:45 PM
Trax, take a closer look at his pic of the breakout box he posted. It's 1/4" jacks (plural), and everything I read in the specs says they are mono.. Ray and Mac concur.
I thought you had the right idea initially, but he is not 1/8" at input.

So hopefully he can at least select both 1/4" inputs in the audio drivers section and have two inputs selected for recording (stereo).

I'm hoping this is the step he is missing. Good catch Mario
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/28/11 11:29 PM
I use MME and it appears I can only select ONE.
Here's a screen capture of the drivers from RB.

Posted By: Mac Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:23 AM
Ray, I think the problem lies with your earlier picture posting - you are using the Windows Sound Mixer applet and not the Creative Mixer that should have been installed with the Audigy Platinum card. That mixer does indeed allow for using the two available line inputs simultaneously as a stereo input.

If you didn't install all that, you can get it on the Creative US website.

--Mac
Posted By: MarioD Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:31 AM
Ray, according to Creative web site the Your card will so multi-track recording with the supplied ASIO drivers. The info is located under the Product Information/Technical specifications tabs.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 02:01 AM
Hi Ray!
Just popped in to see what's going on.

On the BACK of the Audigy 2 box, there should be TWO RCA connectors, RED and WHITE. This is ALSO an input, and you WILL need to use the Creative Mixer Applet for this.

Use TWO 1/4" phone plugs to go to RCA phono plugs. You can easily get a cable that has both channels on it, or you can buy two single cables. You need ONE of these cables.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-RCA14-Dual-Patch-Cable?sku=330489

You can find them in your local music store instead of ordering them.

Plug these into the outputs of the X2, and then into the BACK of the Audigy break out box, and then select whatever the input is, Input 3?, from the Creative Mixer application. Do NOT use the Windows application.

By the way, Real Band is almost the same as PowerTracks Pro Audio, so using Real Band should feel the same to you, it's not really different.

By the way, Ray, I guess you're still using Windows XP. On that mixer application you're using, if you click on Properties, it'll give you Recording and Playback Properties. I'd be willing to bet you a nickel that you'll find an UNCHECKED box for Input 3 or whatever else is on that box. If you check that box, then it will show up in the mixer window, and you can use it.

Glad to see you're still around.

Gary
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 02:26 AM
I found the CREATIVE folder under Program Files, but I cannot find any mixer except the Surround Sound Mixer. I've never used ASIO before and have no idea how to even configure it.

I think I'm in over my head. I'm so technically handicapped!
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 03:22 AM
Gary, yes, that connection you speak of on the back of the breakout black box is indeed LINE INPUT 3.
That cable you showed me I have not seen before. That appears to be EXACTLY WHAT I NEED! And THAT will give me stereo piano recording, right ??

I did check the windows RECORDING CONTROL and I am able to activate a LINE INPUT 3.

I still have NOT found the CREATIVE MIXER! If I use the setup described by you, Gary, DO I need the ASIO drivers or do I stick with MME?

Thanks.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 03:47 AM
Ray,
ASIO or MME drivers aren't related to the control panel. For what you're doing, you can stick with MME and not worry about ASIO

Gary
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 03:48 AM
The adapter is 1/4". I have one here and it works with my keyboard and PC. It is a 2 to 1, 1/4" RCA adapter.

Trax
Posted By: silvertones Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:20 PM
Now if you used KX drivers with that Audigy like I do you could do anything you wanted but I think I mentioned this before.Also I have the notebook version of this card and it does record in stereo.Can you access the 1/8" jack on the card versus the breakout box?
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:25 PM
So, GARY, if I get the musiciansfriend cable you mentioned in your post and stick with MME drivers, I can still use the LINE INPUT 3 in the windows Recording Control, right?? On my PC it is one of the selections and it does accept the check box... and on the back of the soundcard black box, it says LINE INPUT 3 ---- I shouldn't have to do anything with the Creative Mixer, right ??????

By the way, I've ordered the cable already. $8.49 from MusiciansFriend and free shipping... plus it's 10 FEET long ------------ sounds like a hot solution to me!!!!!
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:26 PM
John, I'd rather not switch to the KX drivers. I tried installing them once and something went wrong. I could not record at all. Had to take the PC to my guru and he had to reinstall the entire operating system all over again as well as the creative drivers. It was a nightmare that cost me $75.
Posted By: Mac Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 12:28 PM
If you select Lkne 3, both of the RCA inputs in the back should be active.

Forget about the Creative Mixer, use Line 3 in the Windows Mixer instead, both would be making the same data call here.

--Mac
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 07:22 PM
Ray,
That's correct, you don't need the Creative Mixer applet, if you're using the Windows mixer applet. As long as you can select Line 3 as the input, that's what's going to go to your audio settings in PowerTracks or Real Band.

Gary
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/29/11 07:31 PM
Thanks, Mac. Thanks, Gary. THANKS TO EVERYONE who contributed a solution to this situation. Golly gee I should have opened up this question back when I recorded my previous CD... then I could have had a better sounding KORG piano sound on the album. Oh well, live and learn. Gary thanks for knowing and thinking about that Line input 3 on the back of the breakout box... and thanks for recommending that cable. I've already ordered it and it was only $8.45 for the 3 METER version. Wow! This is FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

When a user on here needs help......... he/she sure gets it from the VETERANS and EXPERTS here.

A BIG Thanks to all of you for advising and recommending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I need to record that planned project that some of my friends and relatives have been asking for. They want PIANO ONLY.......... boy howdy, they are fixin' to get it now. Well...... in a few months, maybe. 8-)
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/30/11 01:32 AM
Glad I could help an old friend, Ray.

Gary
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/30/11 03:12 AM
"old friend."

Bite your tongue, Gary!!!!!!

I bet you even wanted to put "OLD" in bold letters too.

Posted By: Gary Curran Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/30/11 04:09 AM
Snort!

No, I meant we've been friends for a while, Ray, so you aren't a new friend. I wasn't implying anything about your age.

Go record me some music so I can hear it!

Gary
Posted By: MarioD Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/30/11 01:51 PM
Quote:

Now I need to record that planned project that some of my friends and relatives have been asking for. They want PIANO ONLY.......... boy howdy, they are fixin' to get it now. Well...... in a few months, maybe. 8-)

PIANO ONLY!

“Old Friend” , everyone knows that a song without a guitar in it is like trying to swim without water ---
Posted By: Ryszard Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/30/11 03:44 PM
I'm sorry I didn't check into this discussion much earlier. I have the identical sound card. Yes, you can use front panel inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo instrument signal into a PC. However, I go through a mixer into the Line In RCA jacks on the rear. I believe it is a lower noise input.

Did I miss your reasoning for not doing this other than simply not wanting to?

Richard
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/31/11 02:29 AM
Ray,
I can't offer any advice on the technical bits, but I just wanted to say "Hi" - it's nice to see you back in the forum
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/31/11 06:31 PM
Hi Richard!
With PowerTracks and RealBand, when I use either one of the inputs on the front of the black box, I get a mono track only. Never gotten a stereo track and I've had 2 keyboards and several guitars try it, and we always get a mono track.

Thanks, man.
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: L&R from keyboard to PC sound card - 03/31/11 06:31 PM
Hi Keith!

Hope all is well with you, buddy.

Take care!
© PG Music Forums