PG Music Home
Posted By: carkins I Fear The Reaper- No Sound No Matter What! - 08/27/11 01:03 AM
Slowly driving myself crazy(er) trying to get sound out of BIAB/RB song dropped to Reaper.

I know I did it once before earlier this year but upgraded Reaper and lost the settings somehow.
Tried old version of Reaper but no luck there either.
Has me stumped.

Have tried (I believe) every conceivable combination of Reaper Preferences>Audio Device Settings and Driver Out but no luck.

I normally use a Line 6 USB Toneport as my Windows XP default Sound Playback and Recording device and BIAB, RB, Ableton Lite, Windows Media Player all play perfectly with that setup.

I do have to switch to SB Audiology in XP Control Panel>Sounds>Audio window to hear playback from Audacity.

The Reaper tracks are not Muted.

With some Preference combinations I can see the Reaper VU meters moving as it plays but no sound either from speakers or headphones.

The Windows XP SB Audiology Volumes are all on, not muted.

Was hoping someone may have a similar XP/Reaper setup that works and could provide their settings to try.

I could use RB or Audacity to mix down but like some of the features (if I could hear them) in Reaper.
Right now, I haven't got a clue (unless it's Col. Mustard , in the Library, with a lead pipe!)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carkins
Midi or Audio not sounding in Reaper?
Hi Carkins,

You have probably already done this but the first thing that I'd try is to open the "Playback" settings (right-click on the speaker icon) and double-check that all the sliders are up full. (See image below.)

Note that the red symbol on the "Auxillary" speaker means that my auxillary channel is muted.

Your version of Windows may or may not have the following option, but it would also be worthwhile to right-click on the speaker icon, select "Volume mixer" (if XP has it) and check that all sliders are fully up and that none is muted.

Lastly, I have found that Reaper runs best with ASIO (I use ASIO4ALL).

Regards,
Noel
Jazzmandan: Thanks for the clue.
All the RB tracks I was trying to play are Midi.
When I uploaded a wave file to Reaper it played OK.
So I guess it's something blocking the Midi.

Under Midi Output Devices I have all the following listed as Enabled:
3 different SB Audiology Synths
MS GS Wavetable SW Synth
Line 6 Toneport UX1
LoopBe Internal Midi

Seems like one of those should play?
Any suggestions?

Noel96: Checked my speakers and all were OK.
Listened to your songs. Very professional, sounds like they should be on the radio.
Good job! Sounds like there's good chemistry there

Carkins
Quote:

Jazzmandan: Thanks for the clue.
All the RB tracks I was trying to play are Midi.
When I uploaded a wave file to Reaper it played OK.
So I guess it's something blocking the Midi.

Under Midi Output Devices I have all the following listed as Enabled:
3 different SB Audiology Synths
MS GS Wavetable SW Synth
Line 6 Toneport UX1
LoopBe Internal Midi

Seems like one of those should play?
Any suggestions?

Provided that you have your ordinary Microsoft GM wavetable synth activated as a MIDI out in the Properties:

1. Load up your MIDI file
2. Select all tracks (if you loaded in channel-per-track mode)
3. Right-click the "io" button on any of those selected tracks
4. Go to MIDI Output->Microsoft GS...->Send all
5. Voilá! Beware of LATENCY!

You can of course use any other MIDI output the same way. Not like BIAB, you have to assign each track.
You da Man! I mean da Jazz Man, Dan!!
Thanks so much, that did the trick.

Will call and cancel my therapy session.
Have a great one,
Carkins
© PG Music Forums