PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Always something.... - 11/26/11 08:48 PM
Had my setup in the downstairs office room to test it. Loaded RB onto the computer, did a short test song, everything was fine.

Get the thing upstairs, remember now all I did was carry a PC up 12 steps....

Booted up. RB no longer saw the MOTU card. Had to reconfig RB. Since getting that part of the day's entertainment completed, RB has crashed 11 times. "Encountered an error... yada yada yada..." Finally get it to run, and running the SAME test song, the only difference being that it is now running 8 separate outs into my Mackie mixer, the drums are playing at like 250db and just crazy distorted. Changed channels on the MOTU twice, tried 4 different Mackie channels, used the gain change to take the drum track down -6... nothing. AND every change I make, RB crashes. Reinstalling RB clean right now, but the only thing different from downstairs is that downstairs I was listening thru headphones. The lights on the MOTU are doing the same thing they did down there, everything is fine on 7 channels. That drum channel is crazy distorted.

Any ideas if the reinstall doesn't help?
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Always something.... - 11/26/11 09:07 PM
Obvious answer, go back downstairs!! Sorry, had to say it. Later, Ray
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/26/11 09:09 PM
LOL!! Iknew I could count on you.

And a one and a two....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/26/11 09:21 PM
And wow, I forgot how long it takes to install this thing....
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/26/11 10:33 PM
I'm sure the MOTU has some sort of mixer app.. Look in there for the high levels.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 12:05 AM
Those dam drummers :-}

Sometimes when moving desktop computers a card will come very so slightly loose. Try opening your case and one at a time pull out the card and push it back in. You may have to do the same with the memory cards although that is a long shot.

If it’s a laptop then unplug everything and plug them back in.

I don’t know if that is your problem but I have seen this happen before.

Good luck.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 10:47 AM
Changed from ASIO to MME and everything was fine, to include that it no longer abends every time I close the program.

(Oh my god, did I just use the word "abend" in a normal conversation? I have been in IT way too long....)

I can now assign each track to 1-2. or 3-4. or 5-6 or 7-8. and as John explained panning hard left is the odd channel, hard right is the even.

Tomorrow's adventure will be adding the SECOND MOTU and see how Real Band handles it. I have no idea how it will know what to send to where when I have 2 of them.

But for right now it is going on 6am and after a long night of running sound, driving an hour home, having a sandwich and playing some up in the studio, it is finally time to get some sleep.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 06:48 PM
I think MOTU will assign some sort of differentiation to the other outs so you know what is what.If I was a betting man I'd say it will know that you have another box hooked to the card and assign 9-10, 11-12 etc and the same for the next box. My concern here is that RB only has 16 ports available. Open RB with and audio track on it and right click on the track. A menu opens.Near the top is port and you'll see only 16. To this means you won't be able to use the 3rd box.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 07:20 PM
When I used 2 Aardvarks Q10's they had a cable between them to sync up and the software numbered the tracks sequentially. I would bet MOTU would be similar. They were very unstable at times till I got a newer driver, even then you had to do a net stop and start when they had problems . I used the Aardvarks to record a live band every Saturday night for 4 years and always missed a song or 3 ,but it was great when it worked . Took a lot of cpu % to record a bunch of tracks too . When I lost the job I was happy to see them go and got a 2 channel maudio to replace as I hardly ever used more channels than that at home .
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 08:38 PM
Quote:

I think MOTU will assign some sort of differentiation to the other outs so you know what is what.If I was a betting man I'd say it will know that you have another box hooked to the card and assign 9-10, 11-12 etc and the same for the next box. My concern here is that RB only has 16 ports available. Open RB with and audio track on it and right click on the track.

It didn't work when I tried it downstairs, BUT at that point I had the ASIO drivers active. Since I changed back to the other drivers a lot of issues resolve themselves. I am going to plug up the second box after the Browns game.

Oh, and I only have 2 of these, so 16 is all I need. 16 channels, 16 channel mixer..... love those powers of 2.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 08:41 PM
Quote:

When I used 2 Aardvarks Q10's they had a cable between them to sync up and the software numbered the tracks sequentially. I would bet MOTU would be similar. They were very unstable at times till I got a newer driver, even then you had to do a net stop and start when they had problems . I used the Aardvarks to record a live band every Saturday night for 4 years and always missed a song or 3 ,but it was great when it worked . Took a lot of cpu % to record a bunch of tracks too . When I lost the job I was happy to see them go and got a 2 channel maudio to replace as I hardly ever used more channels than that at home .

Each MOTU has a cable that runs from the PCI card to the rack piece, and the card will feed 4 of them. I only have 2.

My assumption (I know, assume means make an ass of U and ME) is that since MOTU made the card, the card would not have 4 outs if it was not capable of processing for 4 of their own MOTU units. We'll know in a while.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 08:58 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think MOTU will assign some sort of differentiation to the other outs so you know what is what.If I was a betting man I'd say it will know that you have another box hooked to the card and assign 9-10, 11-12 etc and the same for the next box. My concern here is that RB only has 16 ports available. Open RB with and audio track on it and right click on the track.

It didn't work when I tried it downstairs, BUT at that point I had the ASIO drivers active. Since I changed back to the other drivers a lot of issues resolve themselves. I am going to plug up the second box after the Browns game.

Oh, and I only have 2 of these, so 16 is all I need. 16 channels, 16 channel mixer..... love those powers of 2.

Some reason I thought 3. Well I think you're in luck.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 09:01 PM
Quote:

Some reason I thought 3. Well I think you're in luck.

My MOTU guru and my band's trumpet player uses 3, but he has a 28 channel mixer too. And he uses a LOT of channels at once, so I know it is possible. I just need to learn.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 09:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Each MOTU has a cable that runs from the PCI card to the rack piece, and the card will feed 4 of them. I only have 2.

My assumption (I know, assume means make an ass of U and ME) is that since MOTU made the card, the card would not have 4 outs if it was not capable of processing for 4 of their own MOTU units. We'll know in a while.

I agree Eddie. The MOTU card is really set up as a 32 channel card. Those boxes are just the ADC/DAC. With Ardvark I think and with the MAudio Delta 1010 like I had each box had a PCI card which made sync an issue at times.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 10:16 PM
Okay, plugged up the second MOTU, ran it's config panel, set it up to turn on the ins and outs, started Real Band and now I have MOTU-A and MOTU-B, each with 8 ins and outs and I can send 16 outs to my mixer, mix in my mixer, EQ, add offline effects... and then send the final product into Adobe Audition to record it.

Everybody had GREAT input as I walked this path. I would have found, but not known to look for, the fact that I need to pan hard left to assign to the odd channel and hard right to assign to the even channel without Mr Silvertones. Scott and Harv we also quite helpful as I investigated.

Took some doing and a lot of anxiety but I just came downstairs from watching the lights on both MOTUs flicker as data went through the channel. I wrote an 8 bar drum beat and copied it to 16 tracks, 1-8 on track one, 9-16 on track 2, etc, assigned it to different outs.... and watched it run, all while watching the purdy green lights flash as track after track played through the right channel.
Posted By: rharv Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 10:37 PM
Very cool.
Excited for you Eddie.
Just wondering if you do realize that you *could* record those inputs right back into RB if you wanted to. It does have the capability. <grin> No need for second system or second DAW software (as long as your system is up to the task; and it probably is).

Silvertones; no idea why you had sync problems with M-Audio 1010. If hooked up correctly the multiple cards share a clock. I've ran 2 1010lt cards in sync with absolutely no problem. Done on the spot with very little effort. I often spread the cards out for daily use, but yanking one from one system and putting it in another (then syncing) for a session is pretty easy. One of the features I really like about that card.

If you had 1010 (not 1010lt) it may have been more difficult, but multiple 1010lt cards will all sync to the first one's clock. Smooth as can be. Can be sync'd a couple different ways.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 11:00 PM
No I didn't have issues at all. Just stating that one could if you didn't understand that you needed to set up that master clock.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 11:02 PM
Quote:

Okay, plugged up the second MOTU, ran it's config panel, set it up to turn on the ins and outs, started Real Band and now I have MOTU-A and MOTU-B, each with 8 ins and outs and I can send 16 outs to my mixer, mix in my mixer, EQ, add offline effects... and then send the final product into Adobe Audition to record it.

Everybody had GREAT input as I walked this path. I would have found, but not known to look for, the fact that I need to pan hard left to assign to the odd channel and hard right to assign to the even channel without Mr Silvertones. Scott and Harv we also quite helpful as I investigated.

Took some doing and a lot of anxiety but I just came downstairs from watching the lights on both MOTUs flicker as data went through the channel. I wrote an 8 bar drum beat and copied it to 16 tracks, 1-8 on track one, 9-16 on track 2, etc, assigned it to different outs.... and watched it run, all while watching the purdy green lights flash as track after track played through the right channel.

Glad I could help you sort it out.
Posted By: rharv Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 11:02 PM
Quote:

with the MAudio Delta 1010 like I had each box had a PCI card which made sync an issue at times

Sorry, thought you had issues after reading that.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Always something.... - 11/27/11 11:16 PM
Bad choice of words. I was trying to compare the MOTU that only uses 1 card for 4 units vs the Delta 1010 that would need 4 cards. Slightly more potential but never happened.And Tommy who had the Ardvark stuff did have issues and those were nice cards at the time. Same era as the Delta 1010 when they both came out. I almost bought the Ardvard instead.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/28/11 12:22 AM
Quote:

Very cool.
Excited for you Eddie.
Just wondering if you do realize that you *could* record those inputs right back into RB if you wanted to. It does have the capability. <grin> No need for second system or second DAW software (as long as your system is up to the task; and it probably is).

Okay because I am a geek and always want to know more "how do I", how do I do that? Feed the mixer back onto the next 2 tracks as I mix it? Treat it just like I was layering another layer of sound on a song? Can I record 2 tracks at once using the "record audio" option? I never recorded more than one track at a time. Another instance of ignorance because I never had occasion to try.

I did not know you could play and record at the same time outside of the fact that I am seeing this as teh same as adding bgv or a guitar solo to an existing song.
Posted By: rharv Re: Always something.... - 11/28/11 12:40 AM
You got it. Select the same two *input* ports you are using in Audition, and use them in RB. RB will play the other tracks to the various output ports just like before, but record only the selected input ports..

Highlite a new track and record away. Your new mix will end up on the new track in RB.
Then you can Solo it (to listen), or export it, or edit it, or whatever you want. All on one machine and in one program.

As always, if you record to a stereo track, you'll only need one track. If you record to a MONO track it'll go to two tracks (for L&R).. I'd select the next blank track, make it a stereo audio track and record it on the one track at this point.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Always something.... - 11/28/11 05:26 AM
Happy mixing Eddie. Now, get some serious source material laid down to take advantage of the sliders under your fingers....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Always something.... - 11/28/11 06:02 AM
Target date for CD release party is April! They are written, scratchpad recorded (and in my definition "scratchpad" means 75% complete pending solos and bgv overlays), and the place I did sound last night has welcomed us to hold the event. Only holds 150 or so, but reality is that if I sell 100 of these on opening night I'll be thrilled beyond belief.

Now to find 100 relatives...
Posted By: Mac Re: Always something.... - 11/28/11 04:00 PM
Quote:

Target date for CD release party is April! ...

Advice learned the hard way:

Keep that deadline date "etched in pencil" and keep the eraser handy.

Why?

The largest single factor we used to face when the only way to get a studio quality recording was to lease, rent, or otherwise procure pro studio time was the time itself. Far too many projects either didn't get finished, or suffered from the rush to finish in the time allotment that could be afforded. And many suffered from trying to compress time like that.

But now that you are recording at home and have the ability, with some time, learning and practice, to yield the same or better product that we once could only obtain by either hiring studio time or purchasing a studio ($$$), the one thing that you really have at your disposal is time itself. Use it.

Try to avoid setting a deadline that is basically an arbitrary pick, instead taking advantage of that one thing that home recording really brings us. If the project needs more time in order to pursue excellence, why not extend that deadline?

And you don't end up having to work under pressure to git-r-done, which in actuality can be heard in the finished product.

I do set dates, but I also try to keep 'em rather flexible, such that they are always open to the dynamics of the situation. If necessary, allow for a bit more time. No Producer(s) chafing at the bit, no investors crying for return on investment, likewise no "dog 'n pony show" checkpoints in which the investor(s) apply pressure, no studioguy informing you that you only have a few hours time left, etc. etc. etc.

I've heard far too many finished products that could have been much more finished, if not for the setting of an arbitrary deadline - in a home studio.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums