PG Music Home
Posted By: Danny C. Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 08:54 PM
I know many of you like me have more than one instrument but for me no matter how many I have I seem to have a habit of picking up one more that the others when getting ready for a gig. Just curious as to which you choose and why you choose it?

My line up . .

Gibby ES-335 . . . Has to be my all time favorite as I have been messing around on her fret board (I am on my 3rd set of frets) for the past 52 years! So at this stage in my life it seems like its more sentimental reasoning for choosing this old girl over the others. Hey she’s a beautiful redhead what more can I s

Ibanez Hollow Box Artcore . . . I purchased this one the day they hit the music stores. Just fell in love with the maple finish and the very nice jazz tone, especially for the price. I play this one on every gig I get to sit on a stool, especially the dinner/background jazz gigs.

Fender Strat . . . Purchased it about three years ago until a few months ago only played it once back then, but now I can’t put it down as it just seems like all the notes and chords just seem to find my hands as if by magic . . . sure makes the Gibby jealous.

Ovation Acoustic . . . Use to play this one a lot in front of my computer arranging BIAB tunes but only a hand full of times on live gigs, mostly Cinco De Mayo gigs.

Ibanez Nylon String Classical . . . This one has taken the place of the Ovation as because of the nylon strings it is so easy to play. I also find myself bringing it out on live gigs more these days if for nothing else the sound it affords me on the Latin tunes.

2 Gibson Blues Hawks . . . These stay in their cases, as both were signed for me by the one and only BB King, I have never played either and doubt that I ever will.

Guild Acoustic . . . Also stays in it’s case and has never been played, as this one was signed for me by George Strait.

PS: BB King also signed my old Gibby but like an idiot I did not protect the signature on the pick guard and played it off the very next night . . . I am still sick over that bonehead mistake.

Merry Christmas,
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 08:57 PM
Piano.

Glenn
Posted By: Mac Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 09:04 PM
Da one what's in mah hands at the time.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 09:51 PM
I'm like a Stradivarius myself. The wife plays me like one.
Posted By: jford Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 10:36 PM
Quote:

I seem to have a habit of picking up one more that the others

That doesn't work very well for me, since the piano, my favorite, weights several hundred pounds.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/24/11 10:57 PM
The Ivories. Nothing beats Easy Like A Sunday Morning by the Commodores on that thang !! It will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Trax
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 12:31 AM
Without a doubt, my bari sax. I LOVE that thing!!

With the keys, my Ensoniq ESQ-1 synth, and for guitar, my Telecaster.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 12:38 AM
Quote:

Da one what's in mah hands at the time.

--Mac

Reminds me of a tune . . . Love The One Ya With!

Merry Christmas,
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 06:45 AM
My custom Rath R10F trombone. It is so much more trombone that I am trombonist, I don't think it's possible to outgrow it.
Posted By: yjoh Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 11:51 AM
Love my pianos. Acoustic and my Roland Digital.
Posted By: jazzband Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 01:16 PM
Hi

It would be nice just to be able to play just one of my instruments like i used to but the strokes put paid to that but i will not give up i will keep trying, all the best for the new year its a comfort to hear how wqell everybody is doing good luck to all

regards jazzband
Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 04:22 PM
Considering I collect brass instruments any way, for actually playing, I have a Yamaha trumpet the YTR 4335G which is no more than middle range or high end student type, so no great instrument as such, but if in the mood for the trumpet sound that will do, on the other hand I have a range of cornets with a Besson Sovereign as the top band instrument, yet still seem to get the best enjoyment out of the by now getting a bit battered and ratty old Bach CR310
As per this here=
http://www.bachbrass.com/instruments/product.php?model=CR301H&category=Cornets/Flugelhorns

OK only a student model but does have a nice tone with the right mouthpiece.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 06:22 PM
Mostly i play my Carvin Cobalt 980 acoustic, followed by my Gibson S-! modified electric, had that old gal for 31 years. I also have a Ovation 12 string acoustic, never take it out anymore chubby guys don't play round backs! I have a 35 year old Takamine acoustic i play on rare occasion, she is my first love. Lastly a fender jazz bass clone, i picked up for $99 She is a good gal, and i love her tones. I am thinking about a good tele clone some day soon, just cause they play so nice.
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 07:04 PM
Danny, I feel the same with my Gibson ES-339 (Custom Flamed Cherry)... I always keep coming back to it and it feels just perfect, I have never played a 335 yet... although I keep thinking about getting one someday.

Merry Christmas to All.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/25/11 08:48 PM
@ Danny,

we peeked in a shop at Caesar's Palace last night. They had a whole wall of autographed guitars from a wide range of artists. The prices were astronomical. So, your two autographed guitars by B.B. King should amount to a nice little bundle.

My modest collection:

A 1952 Martin 0018

A Fender Duo-sonic

A Gretsch Chet Adkins Tennessean, circa 1967

I seldom play any of them anymore. I save my lame wrists for the keyboard and piano.

Somebody asked me recently if I played piano. Instead of giving the usual,"I play for my own amusement," I replied that, "I play for my own frustration."

Don S.
Posted By: Cemil Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/26/11 03:17 PM
In order of present preference:

- Gibson Byrdland: yes you have to sit down and watch the feedback, but it plays by itself - I only need to make sure I don't get in her way (not so easy).

- Fender Strat custom shop 62 heavy relic: This one also plays by itself, but it's more for those occasions when I feel less mellow

- Martin D-28 1955: beautiful acoustic for when that particular muse comes calling.

- Gibson ES-345: that one is my old one, 33 years. Needs work on the neck/frets, so don;t play it too much until I get that done.

- Ovation Glen Campbell: Bought this about 30 years ago. Never play it these days. I think the neck needs to be reset - the strings are about 2 inches from the neck Besides, I now hate the sound of Ovations ...
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/26/11 03:41 PM
I've had to retrain myself on this one. When asked, "What do you play?" the answer these days is, "My primary musical instrument is the personal computer. I also play guitar, bass, and keyboards to enhance my computer-aided compositions." Or words to that effect. My DAW is getting pretty tired. It's a 2003-vintage homebrew P4 equivalent with 2 GB of RAM. It's no longer able to run some modern software, so it really needs replacing.

I use a mid-1980s model Ibanez Roadstar II Strat copy as controller for my Roland VG-88 Mk II. It has a great sound, but like my voice (below) I haven't heard its natural voice in a while. I use emulated guitar sounds almost exclusively. It has had relatively light use and I have tweaked it (the guitar) mightily over the decades, so I like it pretty well.

I have a Peavey T-40 fretted bass that I've grown accustomed to and have received many compliments on for its sound and playability. I'd like to get a Behringer Bass V-Amp or equivalent to bring out its voice in the same way that the VG-88 has done for the Ibanez.

I'm between primary keyboards right now. I sold a beloved Yamaha Clavinova to get through medical transcription school--the first time I have ever sold an instrument out of need, something I promised myself I would never do. It's kind of okay as it had no control wheels, which I need for synth work. My next keyboard controller will be a weighted action 88-key device with wheels. I have an M-Audio Keystation 49 to use for data entry, which is pretty much how I think of it; not an instrument at all, really.

I used ta be a singer, but it's been so long I'm not even sure what my voice is like nowadays. Pretty much all instrumental these days. If I pick up songwriting again, which I haven't done since I may give it another shot.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Your favorite instrument you play? - 12/26/11 06:07 PM
Drums, then my Seagull Folk, then DEAN EAB Acoustic Bass, then BiaB + my DAW....
© PG Music Forums