PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 07:36 PM
JV 1010. I see them for 25 30 bucks.

This thing is standard midi plug in out thru.

Has upper banks supported in Band in a Box.

I used mine for years before the Ketron, some sounds are better, some are great, some are ok.

There is a knob at the front where you twist it to say 25 for guitar and then press it to hear the demo of that patch.
Great stuff really.

I might mess with it for fun when I set up my gear this week. (I was gigging...didn't unpack yet)

This is MILES better than the VSC in my opinion.

IF you have a controller like a wind controller I call it a must have at anything under 60 bucks.

I took my outs to a mixer along with the computer audio out and my gear and used that for sounds. It's just the Ketron looks great but you can't twist a knob (there are more than one) and get a great sound. You need a patch map/computer etc. With this it's plug and mess about.

Anyway, off to the kitchen and the making of the tortiere. I'm missing moose and bear meat but have some other secrets going in. I miss doing that with a whole kitchen of 1/2 cut guys from chez nous.

Keep on HAVING. FUN.
Posted By: bobbyt9999 Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 08:12 PM
Hi John...

This is the first time I've seen anyone mention the JV 1010 on here. I have one that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago... around the time when the JV 2020 replaced it. I got it "as is" for about $100 at the time. It was sitting in the display case so long that there was dust on it.

My problem with it is that I was never able to get a patch map for it. As I said... it came "as is"... no software of any kind came with it. The salesman told me that there wouldn't be any problem finding it on the web. How wrong he was. There used to be a site that had a very limited patch map... this was a few years ago and it isn't there anymore.

I do remember getting some great sounds from it. But it became very frustrating in the end and I just chucked it in a drawer and bought the Ketron.

If you do have a patch map for it or at least know where I can get it, could you let me know? I would love to get it out again and just play around with it.

Thanks!!! Happy New Year!!!

Bobby
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 08:23 PM
There's a JV1010 patch map here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: bobbyt9999 Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 08:37 PM
I found that just after I posted... should have done my research before asking questions, huh?

Thanks!!!

Bobby
Posted By: John Conley Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 08:46 PM
Now that you can fire a track to a synth, I have to check to see if I can set it to midi channel 2 and stick it in the chain. You could put it right next to the Ketron if that's the case.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 09:22 PM
Gees I FORGOT I even had one of those let alone be the creator of the patch map

(I prefer my XV-5080 now, if I had to give all but ONE HW synth I'd keep the XV-5080; however, I don't think they've come down to $20 yet)

PS If I ever get north of approx Las Vegas again, and decide to visit Canada again, could one of you please introduce me to Diana Krall?

Happy new Year ALL (even you "dang feriner's" up north ) !!!

Larry
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi - Great Buy - 12/31/11 09:38 PM
I have a Juno-G (another Roland) that recently acquired the dreaded LCD screen death. Luckily I can still control all functions from the computer (via USB) once the Juno-G boots, so it's still servicable until I get it to the repair shop (covered under warranty once I find the receipt).. actually I can do some things much easier from the computer, now that I've started using it that way; the attached memory cards seem much more flexible now.

Anyway, I know what you mean by "if I had to give all but ONE HW synth I'd keep the ..." comment. I'll probably use the computer to control the Juno-G for a while before giving it up for repair. I'll miss it (let alone the hassle of driving down to Detroit to drop it off and pick it up a few weeks later).
Maybe I can just tell the wife it died and I need a new synth.

Thanks for donating the patchmap!
Posted By: bobbyt9999 Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/01/12 07:26 PM
Setting it up in a chain, huh? That would be neat. If only I knew what I was doing. If I did I wouldn't have any problems doing this. :|

Bobby
Posted By: Mac Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/01/12 08:00 PM
MIDI

Not "Midi"

Its an anacronym, not a word.

Musical Instrument Digital Interface - MIDI

Connect from MIDI out of computer to MIDI In of first hardware synth, then connect MIDI Out or better yet, MIDI Thru, if it has one, to MIDI In of the second synth. Find out how to set up your software to send different tracks on different MIDI channels and also how to set your hardware synths to respond only to certain designated channels and you can use both at the same time. Likely not worth the hassle, though, as most synths have instrument patches that are designed to work and play well with its own set of other patches and attempts to mix and match the sounds only leads to lots of tone tweaking in order to sound "right". I have found that mixing two hardware synths from the same manufacturer often is a lot easier than trying to mix patches of two synths from two entirely different manufacturers and get sounds that blend well without tweaks.

--Mac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/01/12 08:30 PM
Quote:

MIDI

That's really funny!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/01/12 10:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

MIDI

That's really funny!

Particularly when you consider that it should read

"it's an acronym"

OMG.... ROFLMAO.
Posted By: carkins Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/01/12 10:29 PM
Just so this discussion doesn't turn "acronymonious"
Posted By: Mac Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 01:11 AM
I know what word I spelled, and here is why:

Quote:

Main Entry: anacronym
Part of Speech: n
Definition: an acronym that few remember what the letters stand for, such as laser and radar
Example: URL is becoming an anacronym as no one can remember what the letters stand for.
Etymology: from 'anachronistic' and 'acronym'

--Mac
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 11:53 AM
WooHoo!!! Good on ya Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 01:25 PM
I guess it depends a bit on the individual; Mac probably sees the word radar and his mind says the words it stands for, that happens to me with URL. I see the letters but when reading it the words are heard in my head.
Same with MIDI, when I don't capitalize it, it's not because I don't hear the words, it's just being lazy.
Radar and laser have truly become words to me, as I don't see the words they stand for when I read them.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 01:26 PM
It was a JV1010. Peter's post on midi in another thread should be considered for the hall of fame.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 03:12 PM
functionally they have been absorbed into the language and now they ARE words, not just abbreviations for something else.

Its kind of like bringing Latin words into the language. Once words like RADIUS get absorbed into a different language, they conform to the rules of the new language's grammar (except when used in a scientific context which presumes the Latin origin)

So in a machine shop it would be correct to speak of RADIUSES, because in english, a word ending in S is made plural by adding ES

But in a scientific setting the word would be pluralized according to the ruiles of Latin by replacing US with I (Radii)

TOO-MUCH-INFORMATION-O-METER
0______________/__100
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 03:52 PM
Quote:

Just so this discussion doesn't turn "acronymonious"

Or worse yet, anachronistic!!!
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 06:47 PM
John

You changed your avatar?

Just curious
Posted By: John Conley Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 08:35 PM
Eddie was having problems. I said it was easy to change. But I think my other image is on my old computer, which I need to set up. Nothing nefarious anyway!
Posted By: Mac Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/02/12 09:22 PM
Izzat Plus-X or Tri-X?
Posted By: Anonymous Post deleted by Andrew - PG Music - 01/04/12 05:01 PM
Posted By: John Conley Re: Midi - Great Buy - 01/04/12 05:44 PM
So this is really about getting links to phowtowschlop ed-ju-mak-a-shun. Kewl.

BTW they are chained with the ketron on top.
© PG Music Forums