PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 04:01 PM
I use the word “creating” to include writing, singing, recording, playing, or arranging.

For the past months I have been musically frustrated and therefore non-productive in creating music. I work primarily with covers. I make the excuse to myself that there is so much incredible music available for me to experience as a musician that I don’t need to spend any effort writing my own material.

I have been working on one music project for months to cover a Joe Jackson song. Actually, I have been singing the lyrics for so long now my wife has complained (the verse is a little dark in spots and she feels I am trying to tell her something!). My skills allow me to get to a certain point and then I sit and cannot finish. I am not trying to do note for note transcription, although, if I could, perhaps that is what I should be doing as at least I could be making progress. Maybe this project is just more than I can accomplish.

So I stop for a while to refocus, and try something simpler – a cover of Some Where Over the Rainbow. to me one of the most beautiful songs ever written. In two days I have a nice working arrangement. BIAB – RT’s- vocals – guitar solo. I should be satisfied, but no. Each note I have sung, each chord I played, each guitar lick – they all need work. I am not a professional musician and have not spent a lifetime honing my musical skills, on top of that I was not given an extraordinary musical talent to begin with – and perhaps that is the essences of my frustration.

When creating music is so important, how do we have fun when our limitations get in the way? I’d like to think there was a New Year’s resolution in here, but I don’t see the situation getting better.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 04:28 PM
Dan,

you're not alone. Many of us have the recurring problem of taking a project so far, then not knowing how to tie up all the loose ends into a finished product.

For me this is true not only in music, but also in home improvement projects, raising the kids, fixing the car (etc etc the list is long.)

Everybody bogs down somewhere, but our bog down places are all different. Therefore I find it helpul to collaborate with others when I bog down. Almost always the other person will know a way to overcome my obstacles, and I will know a way to overcome theirs.

The forum here is an example of the same concept. All of us together are smarter than any of us individually.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 04:34 PM
dan, i experience a sort of biab saturation where my best efforts begin to sound too similar to previous work. i then realize it's time to rest my ears for awhile, sometimes for several days. it probably is similar to "writer's block" for an author. i have only recently tried my hand at writing lyrics. that's a ho nudder animal! if i was doing it for financial gain, i would soon starve to death. that's when i step back and apply the "peter (gannon) principle" and remember to "have fun!"

i just saw pat's comment and he just described "synergy," or the concept that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." i have seen that proved true numerous times on these forums.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 05:32 PM
Most people are very bad critics of ...themselves.

Move on.

A whack of people showed up here last night. Eventually the flute was produced along with a book and my wife and I played. A dozen songs we never played together, and for her the first time. The Red Red Robin was bobbin and we finished with Stardust. The latter was cool because I let her play the first few bars before I came in on the piano.

Because most of the time none of the people in front of you can't play a lick, they really like to hear live music. Figure out how to fit it in!
Posted By: ROG Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 06:46 PM
Hi jazzmandan,

When I was just a young lad (some fifty years ago), this old session musician said to me -
"Don't try to play anything too complicated. Play something simple and then make sure you put your heart and soul into it. It's that, that the makes the track great."

It seems to me that if you're using BiaB for most of the tracks, all the expression has to go into whatever is "live". I sometimes find it helps if I sing with my eyes shut and the volume up loud in the 'phones and then I can just let the emotion out through the words.

I also find that if I'm doing a cover, it's best not to try to copy it exactly, so people won't immediately compare my version to the original - look how many different arrangements there are of "Summertime", but there's probably still room for one more.

At the end of the day, there's no right or wrong in music. If we were all looking for perfection, would Dylan be singing, or Springsteen playing the harmonica?

With apologies to both Dylan and Springsteen who's music I love!

ROG.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/01/12 10:58 PM
To me, frustration in some area and sometimes multiple frustration in several areas is all a part of the creative process. I don’t think I’ve ever not experienced it. Struggling with my limitations just goes with the territory for me. Once I push pass it the result is a good feeling that makes the frustration worthwhile. But there are times when I have to accept that some element is as good as it gets and move on.

Perfection is a worthy goal but I can’t let it become so harsh a master that it hinders more than spurs me on to be better. I’ve had happy surprises from mistakes that took me in a different direction - serendipity.

What helps me is knowing that I will find that vibe that moves me enough that I can accept the inevitable flaw. And also knowing if I’m not moved enough then I will push and retry until I get to that vibe or scrap it and go on to something else.

I've also learned to find the humor in my striving which lightens the load at rough times.

The fun for me as a songwriter is going where the creative ride takes me in spite of my limitations. I think everybody has limitations to varying degrees.

BTW, that part about your wife made me laugh. Give yourself some slack. You’ll nail it.

Josie
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 12:54 AM
Don't do covers! If you do originals, then -- however they come out, then that's how they are supposed to be.

I am not kidding. Especially in an audience type situation. If you do covers, then you had better be really good -- or every one knows it. If you do originals, then there is some leeway in the presentation (still has to be good and interesting, though). Abandon covers for awhile and start writing.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 01:18 AM
Quote:

I use the word “creating” to include writing, singing, recording, playing, or arranging.

For the past months I have been musically frustrated and therefore non-productive in creating music. I work primarily with covers. I make the excuse to myself that there is so much incredible music available for me to experience as a musician that I don’t need to spend any effort writing my own material.

I have been working on one music project for months to cover a Joe Jackson song. Actually, I have been singing the lyrics for so long now my wife has complained (the verse is a little dark in spots and she feels I am trying to tell her something!). My skills allow me to get to a certain point and then I sit and cannot finish. I am not trying to do note for note transcription, although, if I could, perhaps that is what I should be doing as at least I could be making progress. Maybe this project is just more than I can accomplish.

So I stop for a while to refocus, and try something simpler – a cover of Some Where Over the Rainbow. to me one of the most beautiful songs ever written. In two days I have a nice working arrangement. BIAB – RT’s- vocals – guitar solo. I should be satisfied, but no. Each note I have sung, each chord I played, each guitar lick – they all need work. I am not a professional musician and have not spent a lifetime honing my musical skills, on top of that I was not given an extraordinary musical talent to begin with – and perhaps that is the essences of my frustration.

When creating music is so important, how do we have fun when our limitations get in the way? I’d like to think there was a New Year’s resolution in here, but I don’t see the situation getting better.

WOW Dan . . . I was felling pretty good until I read your post. Just kidding of course as I think we all go through that from time to time, frustrated because either the notes, chords or lyrics won't come and then BAM! out of nowhere (no not the tune, although it is a great one) things just seem to fall into place. Also from time to time as much as I know that down deep inside I love to sit and arrange/tweak nearly every song in my book there are those rare occasions when I would rather take a butt whooping instead. I think that is the inner conductor telling me to take some time away from the project, and I never argue with the band leader (unless he/she is the drummer) so I do just that. Maybe it’s just a day or two or even as much as a week or so but when I get back to it, it seems like the project just falls into place.

Of course that is the beauty part of BIAB as the rest of the band sits patiently and waits for my return. So remember if little blue birds fly way above the rainbow, so can you!

Happy New Year!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 01:23 AM
Quote:

Don't do covers! If you do originals, then -- however they come out, then that's how they are supposed to be.

I am not kidding. Especially in an audience type situation. If you do covers, then you had better be really good -- or every one knows it. If you do originals, then there is some leeway in the presentation (still has to be good and interesting, though). Abandon covers for awhile and start writing.

Come on now, there is always some leeway in a performance, especially if you do covers. There is that every present challenge to put your own spin on the tune and still keep it immediately recognizable to your audience.

Happy New Year!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 02:13 AM
What a nice collection of comments from a particularly articulate and compassionate group (Pat, Don, John, ROG, Josie, Kevin, Danny) – certainly some experienced words of wisdom. Not sure what I expected with this posting other than to share a moment of musical frustration. I do so appreciate and find encouragement in all the nice words. Each contribution provided insight into how to bring the fun back into my music.

Stay tuned, this too shall pass….

Thank you all.

Dan
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 05:33 PM
of course there is the side benefit of your music interest:

your help to those of us on the forums

thanks
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 06:20 PM
I love Some Where over the Rainbow , here's my version !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUbEwPwvwI&feature=g-upl&context=G2a9c3f5AUAAAAAAABAA
Not very loud so you may have to turn it up, recorded it on a laptop mic and webcam .
Posted By: DrDan Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 07:20 PM
Quote:

I love Some Where over the Rainbow , here's my version !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUbEwPwvwI&feature=g-upl&context=G2a9c3f5AUAAAAAAABAA
Not very loud so you may have to turn it up, recorded it on a laptop mic and webcam .

Holy cow, is that you Tommy?

Actually, I think this simple rendition answers the question of the post better than any words can. What a wonderful illustration of creating music and having fun!! I sit here with a room full of gear, actually worrying about a note here or there - and then you step up to the mic, and just frickin play, Super version, thanks for sharing. Heck, this version should go viral or at least everyone here in the forum should see it.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 07:28 PM
Mike, I do appreciate the kind words, thank you.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/02/12 09:02 PM
Stupendous Tommy. I think I need one of those. I was on that trip about 1966. Ate something on blotter paper. I remember those colours. Trippy.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Heck, this version should go viral - 01/03/12 12:07 PM
Dan ,I think if you watch it 3 or 4 times you get some kind of viral infection ! Yes I am the fat,old,bald toothless one in the video. What colors John ? Are you having a flash-back , someone call 911 John's doing it again ! OK what's the number for 911 in Canada ,is it 912 or 911.5 ?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Heck, this version should go viral - 01/03/12 12:28 PM
cool Tommy.
Where'd you get the washtub bass?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Heck, this version should go viral - 01/03/12 12:57 PM
I builded it out of junk people threw away !
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Creating Music – Having Fun? - 01/03/12 06:46 PM
Tommy,

That was neat and very entertaining.

Later,
Thank you Danny ! Just go's to show ya ain't gotta have some fancy axe to have fun ,music can be fun with a bucket too . Yee Haw !
Quote:

Thank you Danny ! Just go's to show ya ain't gotta have some fancy axe to have fun ,music can be fun with a bucket too . Yee Haw !

You are correct sir . . . reminds me of my very early years when this(back then old cat)would follow our band from gig to gig, find him a place not too far from the stage where he would play his spoons. I mean this guy would even show up at weddings and private gigs, many times we had to just say, "hey he's with the band".

On a more serious note a featured solo on that baby would be a very change of pace during a regular gig. Heck I'd bet it would draw a lot of attention just sitting on stage awaiting it's turn!

Happy New Year,
I have played it on stage and everybody loves it !
I agree with Kemmrich:

Satisfaction for me did not come until I started writing and performing my own material.

Get into the habit - join Kemmrich and I and a few other PG'ers at February Album Writing Month www.fawm.org

Goal is to write 14 songs in the month of February, each February.

Thousands participate now every year and many of them reach the goal. My success rate is 75% at reaching the goal, and out of those 14 songs each year, I have 2 or 3 true keepers that entertain myself and others.

Get into the discipline of writing your own material. There's lots of ways to go about it - copy a song structure from one of your favorite songs and replace chords, melody and lyrics, etc.

I try to do something new for me each year as part of the practice. Last year, the new thing for me was to write a song without a proper chorus, just a repeated refrain line on the ends of the verses.

-Scott
Very cool Tommy!
Tommy,
Three strings and you got that out of it? Totally awesome!

Gary
Thanks Yall! When I fist built that one it had only 1 string and 1 washtub, but the economy was booming back then and so I added the extree strings and tub (wanted me a double bass). I also built a 4 stringer one outta recycled red wood (my old front porch),but gave it away to my brother in-law . Have built a few hillbilly fiddles and guitars too !
Posted By: Anonymous Post deleted by Andrew - PG Music - 01/04/12 04:59 PM
Can you repeat that in Texan Please ? Or at least Authentic South-Western Jibber-Jabber ! It's the only language's I kin spoke !
Yes please.. this phrase made me laugh out loud:

"i accept alone afresh approved my duke at autograph lyrics"

Not making fun, just found it funny.
he's running his post count up before spamming us, me thinks. he is using a terrible translator, fer sher!
Quote:

he's running his post count up before spamming us, me thinks. he is using a terrible translator, fer sher!

Yeah - as I mentioned elsewhere ... Bablefish Translator... the worst kind LOL
Maybe we should administer the "peter principle" to him and bethink to "have fun too !
Do you think he even watched my video ? If you did forgot here's the link !
Yeah, shmartinn is likely a spambot. The technology is mainly used for rewriting webpages, so you can create copies of "articles" and increase your presence on Google. But they've also got programs that scrape webpages for content, and it looks like that's what's happening here.

There's some pretty slick stuff out there - Google "rewrite article software." But there's better software available if you're looking for something to help write lyrics.

Back in the days of shareware, I'd flirted with the idea of putting together something similar, to allow students to automatically pad their papers. (In my naivete, the possibility of using it to rewrite existing papers hadn't occurred to me). Given that my target audience was also the least likely to pay for software, I decided to spend my time elsewhere.
Ooops. Double post.
Aw they deleted the spambot shmartinn, I was hoping to quote some of that to my wife ! Just to keep her on her toes !
Quote:

Thanks Yall! When I fist built that one it had only 1 string and 1 washtub, but the economy was booming back then and so I added the extree strings and tub (wanted me a double bass). I also built a 4 stringer one outta recycled red wood (my old front porch),but gave it away to my brother in-law . Have built a few hillbilly fiddles and guitars too !

Happy to hear you took advantage of that little spurt in the economy back then.

Later,
It was back before Bush the 2nd and times was extree good fer me ! Thanks Yall fer taking the time to listen ,me and my washtub bass thank ye !
© PG Music Forums