PG Music Home
Posted By: joemardo1 Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 08:54 AM
Hi Folks,

I would be grateful for any advice you can give me, I have a quad core AMD desktop computer, 4 gb Ram windows 7 computer is just under 2 years old.

I have noticed these last few days when I boot first thing in the morning there is a loudish fairly deep sounding noise fron the computer, I'm fairly certain when trying to locate the source of the noise that its the psu.

However when I reboot the computer almost immediately again the sound goes away.

I have cleaned the graphics cpu and other computer fans.

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this problem, definitely seems to be coming from the psu.

Thanks a lot for any advice.
Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 12:27 PM
Hi Joe, does the PSU have a fan in it? if so it may be that making the noise, if no fan, I would be thinking the transformer may be about to give up.
Try another PSU if possible to at least rule out the PSU as the source of the noise.

Nev.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 12:56 PM
Thanks for reply, yes the psu has at least one fan on it, but as I say strange thing is it only is noisey when I put it on first thing in morning and so far rebooting gets rid of the noise.

Obviously I want to get rid of noise altogether.
Posted By: Keebo Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 02:44 PM
That is how my last PC started acting until the noise became constant and then the PSU died. I replaced it and the PC worked fine and noiseless until I bought a more robust PC. The old one is still used occasionally for a dart score keeping program I wrote when tossing darts.
Posted By: rharv Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 03:19 PM
Bearings are warm on the second start and better lubed maybe?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 05:07 PM
Turn it off. Take a swizzle stick. Stick it into the fan vent for the power supply to keep the fan from turning. Turn the computer on. If it does not make noise, you can pretty much deduce that the fan in the PSU needs to be lubed. Or replaced. Step two of course is to pull the swizzle stick and see if the noise starts. That'd seal it.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 08:41 PM
Thanks very muuch for all the replies and advice. I do have a spare 400w psu that it is almost new here, but since the psu in the computer (quad core) win 7 4 gb ram is a 600w psu I would probably think that the computer would be underpowered and wondering if the 400w would do it any damage in the long run?

I also hear that the Antec brand is also very good.

Thanks
Joe
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/15/12 10:05 PM
The PSU wattage is most concerned with how many drives (hard drive, CD and DVD) it is powering. To test it, your 400w will be fine. If it is older though, it may not have the same power connections as your new one, like SATA drives vs IDE which have a different power pigtail on them.
Posted By: ROG Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/16/12 09:59 AM
Hi Joe.

One other possibility is the DVD/CD drive. Depending on your boot sequence, the computer might be looking first at the DVD/CD drive before booting from the hard drive. Do you use the DVD/CD drive much and is it working ok? You can always change the boot order in the bias settings if you need to.

ROG.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Noisy computer-think its the psu? - 01/16/12 10:25 AM
What Eddie said, but I would disconnect the fan before starting the pc rather than use a swizzle stick.
© PG Music Forums