PG Music Home
Posted By: MitchC Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 06:48 PM
Been working some more on one of my favorite compositions of modern times.

Also, a first for me here... a collaboration effort. I enlisted the services of our own Tommy Cole who did a VERY tasty lead guitar break in the modulation section. THANKS TOMMY !

Let me know what you might do different ? Thanks guys.

http://soundcloud.com/mitchc-1/god-only-knows-with-tommy-cole
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 07:23 PM
Nice sounds for sure. Do you have a compressor on the steel guitar. It could use one with a fast attack rate: the first part of a lot of notes (starting at the 0:37 section) cut through and sound too loud compare to the rest of the note (make any sense?). Of course it could be that "glassy" sound you are going for.

I would consider moving Tommy into the middle. It sounds a trifle left-heavy during that sequence.

Minor stuff for sure -- sounds great.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 08:16 PM
Good call Kevin ! The performance has bugged me in that regard as well... my lack of proper dynamics. I reperformed most of the track using my volume pedal this time to tame some of those heavy initial attack phrases.

Sure am loving Tommy's guitar solo !
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 08:29 PM
Mitch,

I love it! As to nits, to my ears the doubling of your steel with Tommy's lead at about 2:38 just don't really work for me. Not that they need to be in perfect sync, but it seems to me they are competing for space there. Maybe if you made your steel part a counter part? I don't know. It may work for everyone else. I do like the idea of both instruments being present there, though.

I would bring up the orchestration a little more at 4:05, to make just a slightly more dramatic climax before the fade.

Then the fade seems to drop just a little too abruptly to me.

Again, this is just beautiful! You and Tommy are both very gifted, and it shows. I had Tommy do a lead for me a few songs back, and he did a great job!
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 08:37 PM
Steve, you caught me with a bad mix. No doubling... it's fixed ! Sorry.

I did have the orchestra up more in the outro, but it seemed a tad loud to me, but I'll re-evaluate that.

The fade is in Audacity... starting at 4:30 to 5:07 end. It's as smooth as Audacity will do, so not sure...I may apply another fade to the fade maybe ?

Thanks for the comments !
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 08:48 PM
Man, you are fast!

I wouldn't say bad mix. It's beautiful.

The fade is long enough. Maybe another fade to the last 8-10 sec, just to subtly smooth out the tail at the end? Certainly not a deal killer! Like I said, this is really well done, and beautiful.

Steve
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 08:51 PM
OK...applied a fade to the tail end of the fade for a smoother drop off (I think ?)

Thanks for the great critical suggestions ! Love it. Only makes things better. (again, just LOVE Tommy's playing !) Will have to do to a more up tempo, bluesy thing for him to play on soon.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 09:02 PM
That second fade did it. Sometimes I will have as many as 3 or 4 fades to smooth a fade out. (I know you can adjust the curve of the fade, but usually it's just faster to me to add another fade, until it has the right "feel")

Really it's totally a matter of personal preference!

Great job!

(Again - Man, you are FAST!)
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 09:05 PM
Steve...I'm SO impressed ! THREE listens ? Gotta love it. Thanks so much for your input !
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 09:05 PM
I like the mix great work guys eric
Posted By: John Conley Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 09:44 PM
Nice as always. I want to sit on a Pacific beach and watch the sunset.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/28/12 09:49 PM
Thanks (and welcome) Eric !

Thanks John ! I'll join you.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 01:03 AM
Beautiful job guys. One of my Brian Wilson favs.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 01:05 AM
Thanks Josie !...but where'd your smilin' face go ?
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 01:45 AM
Very well done Mitch, I like every aspect of this project.

You should be very proud of this one.

PS: I also miss the smile.

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 05:10 AM
That's still my smiling face - it's just smaller so I could get my guitar in there too.

Josie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 05:22 AM
nice artistic graphic, Josie! I like it!
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 05:53 AM
Cool Josie! I now see your smiling face in there!

I picked up the guitar neck right off the bat. How about posting a larger version for us so we can see it better.

Either you're a very good artist yourself, ... or you've found someone else that is. Nice graphic.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 10:48 AM
The only 2 things I don't like about it a part of my lead where I played the same lick twice in a row (maybe dyslickcia) . And it had to come to an end it was very much fun to collaborate with Mitch ! Have no Idea why he would want me to play if you watch his video on youtube ! Too bad we aren't next door neighbors it would be the coolest street in town.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 11:31 AM
Excellent work guys. I've added it to our Mitch Bootleg CD along with Mel's Christmas Song.

Tommy - Can you give me some details - guitar/amp/pedals, etc.? Great work both of you!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 02:19 PM
Thanks Bob I used a Strat Ultra into a tube screamer and a early 60's Vox 15 watt amp.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 03:20 PM
Quote:

Thanks Bob I used a Strat Ultra into a tube screamer and a early 60's Vox 15 watt amp.

Thanks man. That is a great combination, but only in the right hands, and you've got 'em.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 03:28 PM
Quote:

if anybody has bought the crossgrade for AMplitube, I do believe the tube screamer is one of the included stomp boxes. Great little box, especially if you're already using a tube amp. Plenty of tube amp models also come with the crossgrade.

just sayin...
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 03:31 PM
Awesome tune, and solid work Tom. Do spill some details on how you did the track. You get great tone out of your instrument and setup.. I hear Gibson humbucker tone, am I right? But the recording, etc.. did you do it with exchanged Audacity files? If so, what did you use to get your track into the mix? Thanks guys. (dyslickcia... love that, lol)
Posted By: MitchC Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 04:23 PM
I do love the new Avatar Josie ! Nice graphic.

This was a blast to do. Have not worked with any other musicians for a few years now and this was really fun !

I emailed the BIAB .mgu file to Tommy. He'll have to speak about his process...(I never asked what DAW he uses). I went to do some chores and by the time I got back, he emailed a test .wav file that I pulled into Real Band. After verifying this was going to work, Tommy then did a few passes and sent the .wav files to me.

Pretty painless process really.

Again, THANKS TOMMY ! (I personally loved the duplicate phrases..a little breath, then the mimic - LOVE IT !).
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/29/12 07:07 PM
Anything is I play is pretty much from an unplugged brain and just jamming ! Lucky for me Mitch knew where to put it so I only had to email my part and insert it at the time. Made for a very small file in an email about 4 megs uncompressed . My Strat has VanZant hand wound single coil pickups Doc and I crank up the Amp till it starts to distort just a little and then blast it with the tube screamer. I'm sure Mitch did something too ,and we can share in any Daw I used Cool Edit to record because it has never crashed. I've had dyslickcia since i got my first guitar !
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Mixing advice please ? - 01/31/12 06:30 AM
Fade-out is a little long. That's it. Real helpful, huh?

Otherwise great job and mix.

-Scott
© PG Music Forums