PG Music Home
Posted By: MitchC New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/05/12 11:44 PM
Just finished up another 'elevator music' tune (going up ?)...

Comments, suggestions etc welcome.

TENDERLY
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 01:44 AM
OoOOoh la la, this is nice Mitch !! Sounds like Smooth Jazz to my ears, one of my fav genre.

Thanks for sharing,

Trax
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 02:07 AM
very nice Mitch.

regarding mix advice, that's not my forte, so I'll leave that to somebody else. It sounded fine to me just the way it is.
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 03:38 AM
Thanks for listening guys !
Posted By: Tommyc Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 11:16 AM
Yeah I have a suggestion make more !
Posted By: MarioD Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 02:22 PM
“Tenderly” played by Santo and Johnny and backed by Boots Randolph! What could be better!

This brought back many memories. The mix is just perfect.

I would buy a CD of standards if they were played like this!
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 02:24 PM
Hi Mitch,

I've been wanting to hear some of your music, but for some reason my computer doesn't seem to like Sound Cloud much.
It hangs every time I click on a link that goes to that sight.
Do you post your stuff anywhere else?

Tim
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/06/12 05:56 PM
Hey thanks guys !

Tim, no, I don't have another site with tunes. Sorry that Soundcloud is not playing nice. Not sure what I can do about it...maybe let them know that some people can't access it ?
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/08/12 02:33 AM
Real Tracks used on this tune:

Bass, Electric, SmoothBallad EV16 065
Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad EV16 065
Drums, SmoothJazzBallad^
Guitar, Electric, SmoothJazzBallad EV16 065
Guitar, Electric, JazzFunkBreezy EV16 075 (Muted)
Synth Pad, PopBelieve EV16
Piano, Acoustic, Pop 16 EV16 065
Sax, Tenor Soloist JazzFunkBreezy EV16 075 (Bluesy)
Shaker loop
Posted By: Brallan Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/08/12 04:04 AM
That is very pretty and very tasteful, Mitch.

You seem to choose all the best songs.

Glad nobody is jumping on you for placing covers on here... I am sure nobody is gonna sue you or PG Music for playing "Tenderly," or "God Only Knows."
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/15/12 02:50 PM
Very good. Great mix. I thought the bass might be a tad loud but that might be my system. Sounds great.
Posted By: jazzsax Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/15/12 06:02 PM
Loved both Tenderly and The Christmas Song.
I did think the drum part sounded a little too much like a "drum machine"
on both songs. The mix sounded very nice but I was only able to listen on
an iPad. I am a sax player and I am not sure that the sax in Tenderly
was really needed your playing is so beautiful with out it.
on the Christmas Song it was just right.
I know you only asked for comments on Tenderly but I thought
the two were done so similar that there was a logical comparison to be made.
I will take another listen on my home stereo I liked it so much.

Great work
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/15/12 06:09 PM
Thanks guys !

The drums on all these tunes are PG RealDrums, so if they sound like a 'drum machine' not much I can do about it really. I thought they sounded pretty nice myself, but outside input is always helpful for improvemtnt. Short of recording real drums (not going to happen) not sure what I might do to improve drum tracks ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks again.
Posted By: dcuny Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/15/12 10:13 PM
First, the good: it's a very nice arrangement. Everything has it's space, and it's very clear over my speakers. If I didn't know it was BiaB, I wouldn't have guessed. The parts connect together very well.

The (very subjective) bad: The mix too much "in my face". Everything was loud and up front, which is quite a mixing feat! But it also felt like everything was vying for my attention, and everything was the lead instrument. Especially the bass!

It also felt a bit fast, but that might have been because there wasn't much empty space. If the lap pedal guitar wasn't playing, then bass was answering, or the sax was echoing a part, or the shaker was filling up space. It's a very busy arrangement, but there's no space for it to breathe.

As lovely as it is (and all the parts sound great) I think this is the sort of thing where dialing things back and pruning stuff away will give you a better mix in the end.

But you know a free opinion isn't even worth what you paid for.
Posted By: DrDan Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/16/12 12:35 AM
Quote:

Thanks guys !

I thought they sounded pretty nice myself, but outside input is always helpful for improvemtnt. Short of recording real drums (not going to happen) not sure what I might do to improve drum tracks ? Any suggestions ?

I love Real-Drums - instant backing with little to no effort, but...

Have you tried something like JamSticks? Taking the BIAB Midi over into JS and having it set the groove and fills combined with a couple hours effort on your part to fine tune can result in some truely customized output. Unfortunatley, RB or BIAB will not host JS, so you would have to adjust your DAW.
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/16/12 04:43 AM
Thanks for listening and the feedback guys.

New mix posted. Less sax fills, regen'd bass part and pulled back in the mix. Also removed the muted guitar part. More space now I believe. Much better.

I'm committed to BIAB / RealBand and not into writing midi drum parts, so the RT's are going to have to suffice for now.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/16/12 06:46 AM
Mitch, do you do steel tracks over the internet as either a favor or else? I have an internet collaborator from Oz that is currently looking for a steel player. Shall I send him your contact info?

-Scott
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/16/12 10:46 AM
Mitch,Very nice! Nit picking?......for my ears, you may have pulled the Bass back, just a shade too much.......but then I'm a Real Bass "groupie"! Overall, a lovely listen....tempo sits OK with me.
Regards, Joe G.
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/16/12 02:55 PM
Scott. Sure I'll do a track, but I'm not a pedal 'country' type player so keep that in mind.

Joe...I listened again and am missing some bottom end for my taste also...may revisit it yet again. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/18/12 04:45 AM
Remixed yet again with a tad more bass.
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/18/12 01:02 PM
Yes Mitch....that's it for me! Joe G!
**** Loving your YouTube videos with the group!
Posted By: dcuny Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/20/12 07:03 PM
Sounds much better - and it already sounded great! There's a lot more space for the melody to breathe.

My only other thought is that the bass doesn't need to hit the backbeat on beat 4. Yes, I know it's locked in with the kick, but it might help give the song a bit more of a "lazy" feel instead of pushing it as much. I'd consider replacing much of the bass part with a simple whole note bass line, but keeping the nice bass fills.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/20/12 09:24 PM
hi mitch nice song nice tones bass on my system sounds like you need to roll off on the botton nice arrangement really nice playing thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: MitchC Re: New recording 'Tenderly' mix advice - 02/20/12 11:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Arrangment is done. I like the bass track as it is. Auditioned quite a few RT's and this one was the most sparse I could find. Don't want to write a midi part for this tune...the RT does great.

Agreed that the Bass may need some low end rolled off still.
© PG Music Forums