PG Music Home
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/04/05/jim-marshall-founder-of-marshall-amps-dies/
A sad day. Jim was a great man indeed.

In the 90s I was Chief Accountant of a division of company who were involved in a major extension of the Marshall Bletchley UK factory. I had no reason to visit the site, but I called in unannounced one day and asked if I could have a quick look around at all. The receptionist made a telephone call and I was astounded when out came Jim Marshall to greet me! He insisted I have a full, detailed tour of the factory and called his son Terry to do this. It was one of the most amazing and happiest two hours of my life. Terry showed, and explained, everything to me from the raw materials coming in, through the production lines to an area near the end where a couple of employees do nothing but test and certify amps by playing them all day! Terry then took me back to Jim's office where, although I could see he was busy on some company business with his daughter, asked Terry to fetch a bundle of memorabilia which he gave me,including a copy of the Marshall Story book which he dedicated and signed for me. I'd also met him at a couple of music shows and he would sit and sign posters for ages until he was sure everyone had been attended to. I remember him being a quiet, courteous and very unassuming man. One of life's true gentlemen.

God bless you Jim.
RIP to the man whom changed the sound of Rock and Roll.

To the man who taught Mitch Mitchell how ta play drums, too.
Jim Marshall - thanks for all the many happy hours I've spent plugged into one of your amps.

ROG.
I met Jim just after he opened a shop under the Centre Point Tower in the middle of London, in the late 1960's. He had severe toothache and turned up at the UCH Dental School emergency department just round the corner and I was the Dental student to sort him out. As he went numb we chatted about his amps and his invention of a 2 headed tooth brush that cleaned both sides of the teeth at once, which gave the professors a good laugh! I used to drop in for a coffee and a chat until the amps took off and I never saw him again. Thank goodness for the music industry his toothbrush failed and his amps didn't!! RIP Mr Marshall.
As Skyline said "he was a quiet, courteous and very unassuming man. One of life's true gentlemen."

How life may have changed if I hadnt sorted his toothache out.......maybe LOL

Alyn
Sad news. I can still recall how excited I was, when I was able to play through my first Marshall amp.........and the sound! Joe G.
Very sad indeed!

Any truth to the rumo(u)r that Marshalls go up to "11"?

Forgive my levity on this sad thread but I think that Jim Marshall would approve. To the best of my knowledge, he was "real people"!
© PG Music Forums