PG Music Home
Posted By: Westside Steve midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 11:57 AM
So in working on a latin style tune I found I wasn't choked up by any of the real drums tracks.
My d a w is sonar and I have the v 700 unit with the roland Fantom chip.
I've also got bunches of midi loops.
What, if any, sets of percussion sounds have any of you found to be good? Dimension pro?
Or does everyone stick to real drums?

If so question number 2 is this.
Can real drums be saved as multi layer tracks?
WSS
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 12:54 PM
For Latin, I often drag&drop both the RealDrum part and the MIDI drum part, then edit out most of the MIDI drums to leave just conga or triangle etc. Since you can blow away all instances of an instrument on one pitch, this is pretty easy to do.

Related tip: Once I have the MIDI drum track, I can add a crash cymbal here and there and maybe a few toms at the end. Sometimes I use a single percussion note to signal the end of a solo space if I'm creating a track to perform with.

As of a day ago, I'm experimenting again with some of my Latin jazz loops that now load without alteration, thanks to Build #350.

I have not used other percussion sources. I thought I would need something like EZ Drummer but so far have been OK without it. However, I am making composer demos, not radio-ready tracks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 01:06 PM
Quote:

Can real drums be saved as multi layer tracks?
WSS

If you mean, have the RealDrum kit on separate tracks, then No. That's a popular Wishlist request but you can't split an audio drum track even with Melodyne. PG Music would have to have recorded separate tracks, and even then there would be tons of bleed.

Or did you mean something else?
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 05:00 PM
Nope. That's what I meant. Thanks Matt.
WSS
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 06:19 PM
Ps I find Melodyne to be just a little bit hinky. Seems like if I use it on a few measures it can cause more problems than it solves. Usually easier just to go back and sing the line again. I used it on the timing matter on a fingerpick part and it seems there were a lot of Overtones that I didn't like.
What do you think?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: midi percussion sets - 04/27/12 08:13 PM
Agree. It has to be an exceptional performance with only a few flaws to be worth the editing effort.
© PG Music Forums