PG Music Home
Following is the text of a message I just sent to my four closest and most accomplished musician friends, all of whom are highly skilled with computers as well. It summarizes my experience since Thursday, May 10, through yesterday, Sunday, May 13. I am eminently open to suggestion.

Quote:

Gentlemen,

I'm at the end of my rope on this. I'm about to put my DAW in the shop for resolution. Here's the deal.

Two soundcards (Roland/Edirol UA4-FX and Presonus AudioBox USB) have briefly produced beautiful sound before degenerating into horribly distorted sound completely unrecognizable as the source. Both cards definitely had Win 7 64-bit drivers. Both had the latest version of the driver. The Roland actually never produced anything but distortion. The Presonus degenerated. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and briefly had good sound before deteriorating again. I was never able to get any MIDI throughput through either card. Using the Onscreen Keyboard in Reason 6 produced the same distorted sound with several devices and patches.

I took the Presonus back to the store, where it tested as being in perfect working order. I then spent an hour with Microsoft Support via chat, to no avail. I will take my MIDI controller keyboard (M-Audio Keystation 49e, which was working before) to the same store to test it as well. I have messages in to Propellerhead, Presonus, and the MIDI school I was supposed to start today. I don't think the problem lies with any of them, but I am trying to cover every base. [I have also checked their forums and FAQs as well as Googling extensively.]

This is looking to me like a Windows issue. It has been suggested that it may somehow be a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue, but I'm not sure how. The only thing that I can think of is that this version of Windows is only licensed for two processors, and I have four. But everything else works perfectly.

I am hoping that this will resonate with something in your collective experience. If so, or if you think of something I haven't covered, please let me know.

Win 7 Ultimate 64, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3, Intel i5 2500K 3.3 GHz quad CPU, 16 Gb RAM, Zotac GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb GPU.

Thanks,
Richard

Go to the gigabyte website, support, find your mobo and see if they have released a BIOS flash update for it. This may well be a mobo controller issue.

--Mac
There are updates posted to the GigaByte site for that board for audio, USB and LAN drivers. All posted within the last 60 days.
Above my pay grade. Going to the shop.
Hi Richard.

Just trying to get my head round this one. Does this problem happen with all programs, or is it just with Reason? What happens if you play a wav file through Windows Media Player? Have you got both cards installed at the same time? How have you connected the Keystation 49e?

If you can post this info I might be able to suggest some things you could try.

ROG.
Ryszard - Unless you actually have more than two processor sockets, you should be able to access (and be licensed for) all the cores on your computer. A quad core processors shows up as four processors (cores), but counts as a single socket. My reading of the Windows 7 Ultimate license is that it supports only up to two sockets (each of which can have any number of cores). I hope that made sense.
Quote:

Ryszard - Unless you actually have more than two processor sockets, you should be able to access (and be licensed for) all the cores on your computer. A quad core processors shows up as four processors (cores), but counts as a single socket. My reading of the Windows 7 Ultimate license is that it supports only up to two sockets (each of which can have any number of cores). I hope that made sense.

It does. Thank you.
Quote:

Hi Richard.

Just trying to get my head round this one. Does this problem happen with all programs, or is it just with Reason? What happens if you play a wav file through Windows Media Player? Have you got both cards installed at the same time? How have you connected the Keystation 49e?

If you can post this info I might be able to suggest some things you could try.

ROG.

I was in the midst of writing a reply when the power went out. I took the opportunity to take my keyboard to the music store to test it (it worked, as I thought it would) and the PC to the shop.

However, to answer the questions: Yes, the problem happens with Reason, Windows Media Player, and with streaming media. I was able to play MIDI files in BIAB 2009 through the Microsoft synth. I did not try to play any Real Tracks (didn't think to). I only ever had one card installed at a time. The keyboard can be connected by standard MIDI cable or by USB. I tried both. Neither worked. There is a virtual keyboard inside Reason that produced the same distorted audio as when I tried to play demo songs.
Quote:

There are updates posted to the GigaByte site for that board for audio, USB and LAN drivers. All posted within the last 60 days.

I think we have a winner.

Whether you install it yourself or you take it back to the shop and have it done, I recommend doing that as it may well solve your problems.

--Mac
Richard.

From what you describe, the way I'd approach it is to first reduce the possible causes, to try to identify the problem. I'd uninstall both interfaces, get rid of all trace of the drivers and unplug the Keystation. Then I'd see if Media player will work with the on-board audio. If it does, it shows that the basic machine is working ok under Windows. If not, I'd reload the audio drivers. If it's still not working, at least you know it's not the interfaces or programs and can look at the GigaByte up-dates.

If you can get media player working, then try each of the audio programs with the on-board audio. If these work, connect the Keystation, which should be class-compliant, via USB and see if that works. If you can get it all to work with on-board audio, the problem is with the interfaces. You say the Presonus has been checked out, so the problem, in this case, could be a driver conflict.

I imagine you've possibly done some of this already, but I'm just thinking how I'd do it from scratch in the hope that something might help.

Good luck with it.

ROG.
Richard,
How many USB devices to you have connected to the computer? It's really possible that you're exceeding the USB bandwidth limitations.

My $100US way to resolve this issue is to install an M-Audio 2496 card in one of the two available PCI slots. That will give you a stereo input and a stereo output, plus two channels of digital in and out, plus a MIDI connector for in and out. Drivers work with Win 7 64 (although they don't like Skype)

Gary
Here's the latest from the bench tech working on my PC:

Quote:

We're still trying to isolate the source of the issue. I don't think it's going to be a software issue, it sounds/looks like it's electromagnetic interference being picked up from somewhere in the PC. I've tried a PCI sound card and the problem still showed up. I tried another Video card to eliminate yours as a potential source and the problem still happened. I've even disconnected the SSD and the HD from power the still got the hiss. I'm going to have to do a bit of research and see if it could be USB related.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Richard.

If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I'd be putting money on it being a faulty power supply at this stage.

ROG.
I don't buy that tech's "electromagnetic interference" call. Not. At. All.

Ask if they've even *tried* to update the BIOS...

--Mac
I just did.
Just got off the phone with the technician, who has been working on my machine for two days. He was working through the onboard sound, not the USB sound card I sent with the PC. However, he plugged USB speakers directly into USB and heard massive static, something I had never noticed. Right now the thinking is defective mainboard.

The incredible news is that somehow the technician ran into the pro sound/recording guy at the music store where I bought the Presonus. They got to talking and realized they were both dealing with me. Now we're all on the same page. The technician knows for certain that the Presonus works. because I took it back to the store and had it checked out. He also understands my mission--recording and mixing music--and says that he'll try to have it ready today, assuming they can find another mainboard. (I know there's one at their store across town, but not where my PC is.)

Onward through the fog.
It's not the system board; they swapped it out for a substantially better one with no change in the noise coming through the USB bus. They also subbed the RAM and the power supply, also with no change. That leaves the CPU and the liquid cooling system. The technician spent three hours with it today but he's off tomorrow, so yet a third person will be fooling with it . . .
Did they try updating the BIOS? .........
Probably not. But they tried a new and different model system board, so that could hardly be it, could it? I have, however, sent them a note to that effect.
Here's my suggestion. Hook the Presonus up to something else that has nothing to do with your computer and see if you get the noise you're talking about. If not, then hook up those USB speakers your tech was working with, and see if they have the same massive static that your system shows. If not, that's good. Then it's somewhere in your system.

Since the mainboard, PSU, video card, etc have all been replaced, pull the SSD out and and boot to Linux and see if it still manifests itself. If it does, pull the hard drive cables so there's no power or data going to the hard drive.

I doubt very much if it's the CPU, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the SSD drive. By the way, any tech that spends two days on this is either working on a whole lot of other stuff, or doesn't know what he's doing. It should not be that difficult to track down by process of elimination where the noise is coming from.

Gary
The Presonus has been tested independently and is known good. Don't know about the speakers. I believe the system has been tested without either the SSD or standard SATA HD. Nobody said anything about the graphics card, so I'll suggest they try that.

The tech IS working on a bunch of other stuff in between communications with me. This is a large shop. I believe he is competent, but I do wonder why they didn't catch this during the build, which they also did.
What components make up the liquid cooling system? I'm guessing there's a pump somehow, with either brushless or brushed motors - notorious noise generating components. Should be taken care of if reputable, but not a 'normal' compnent in a PC nonetheless.
Quote:

Probably not. But they tried a new and different model system board, so that could hardly be it, could it? I have, however, sent them a note to that effect.

Look, *both* boards are very likely to have the same outdated BIOS software.

AND, this whole problem has sounded to me like a chipset/software issue from the gitgo.

They should try the BIOS update...

--Mac
Quote:

Quote:

Look, *both* boards are very likely to have the same outdated BIOS software.

AND, this whole problem has sounded to me like a chipset/software issue from the gitgo.

They should try the BIOS update...

--Mac

Mac,
I agree 100% but they just aren't listening.I hope this isn't costing Richard a whole boat load of $$$$$$$$$ to a tech who doesn't really know what he's doing in MHO
The last instruction I left them was to update the BIOS.
Quote:

The last instruction I left them was to update the BIOS.

Cool! I bet that does it.
BTW Folks tend to shy away from BIOS updates 'cause if you mess up the update the board is trashed or at least needs to go back to the manufacturer.
The Pro should ALWAYS power the mobo with an Uninterruptible Power Supply before starting a BIOS upgrade.

If the power should get interrupted before the BIOS upgrade is finished, well, that's usually what BRICKS the mobo...

--Mac
This just in from the technician:

Quote:

Good afternoon!

I'm ready to call in a priest for a good exorcism. We've swapped out EVERYTHING inside this box and the issue is still occuring. System board, memory, processor, power supply, Cooling, video card... Everything except for the case.. Which is our next stop to eliminate the case* as the source of the problem.

I've spent about 2 hrs on it so far today, and I've got to work on some others PC's. I've got some parts I've got to install for some other customers.. And if I can't get back to yours today before I leave (at 6 today) I'll come in a hr early tomorrow to dedicate to resolving this. However I SHOULD (key word here) be able to set-up the components outside the box before I leave (if the parts installs go smoothly).

I've also looked into the [Presonus] Audiobox. It's not a soundcard, but mostly a Analog to Digital coverter that accepts professional quality Mic's/Devices. The sound still goes through the systemboard sound chip** for audio processing, so you were short changing yourself with the original SB and it's low-end built in sound card. The new one support 7.1 dolby.

thanks for your patience and have a good afternoon/evening!

*NZXT H2 Silent case
**???
Oh boy...this is starting to sound weird! His comments about your Prosonus, the audio card and the system on-board audio chip have me scratching my head and saying "huh?"
Yeah, I've got to agree on the comment on the Prosonus. Yes, it's an A/D converter, and it's also a D/A converter and mixer, but no, it doesn't use the onboard sound chip. Nor is the processing done on that chip. This guy apparently doesn't know what he's doing, at least as far as your sound device goes, and that, to me, isn't something that I would trust.

How is he monitoring this noise? What I'm asking is does he have a pair of monitors plugged into the Main Outs of the Prosonus, or at least into the headphone out? Does the Prosonus have some sort of software monitoring and mixer application, and is that set correctly?

If he's changed out everything that he says he has, I'm pretty sure it's not the case. MIGHT be the power supply, but I'm sure it's not the case. Well, I'll put one exception on that. If the case has USB connections, and he didn't disconnect them, and one of them is bad, it's possible that it's messing up the USB buss, but one of the first things I would have done would have been to disconnect the case USB connectors and run just from the mainboard.

I hope you guys can figure this out.

Gary
This dude normally probably makes boxes for gaming. He is clueless as to building a DAW and what the PreSonus is.

Get your money back ASAP.

Spend it on a Sweetwater creation station and be done with the whole mess.
I may have missed it, but has anybody suggested you take that USB interface to someone else's house and install it on another computer? Or a second computer of your own (but I don't think you have 2 if I recall from past conversations.) just to take your computer out of the equation? Also if it is set up as your system sound card you should be able to play CDs and streaming internet radio through it. Eliminate as much as possible.

The ONLY reason I would doubt the BIOS is the definition of the term itself. Basic Input Output System. His system component (USB port) is not failing. Also given that 17,936 billion computers (I statistic I made up for this post) have outdated BIOS and don't have this issue I would question the BIOS as the issue. Using the USB bus and not the board's data bus leads me to believe that BIOS is not the problem.

Also, to whoever suggested the USB data bus has been overtaxed, unless he is playing with RB, moving the mouse, printing, dumping photos from a camera, etc... he isn't using all the USB devices at once. They don't consume bandwidth just being plugged in, only when there is I/O happening. And just for an example, one of my computers has a webcam, a printer, a USB turntable, a CD storage jukebox, a PID, a iPod Shuttle charger and 2 thumb drives plugged into the USB ports (with a hub obviously) RIGHT NOW and there is no performance degradation at all. And that is on an older Dell without the horsepower Richard has.

I would also doubt it is the pwoer supply because of how the USB draws power. It comes from the PSU connection to the mobo, not from one of the power rails. And again, not all of the USB ports are drawing until used, and this is a new computer with like a large power supply. If the power supply were bad, again given that the power is coming through the mail connector to the motherboard, he would likely be seeing a lot of other problems. With the drives each being on their own 5v power rail, they could be fine and not indicate a PSU issue. Particularly with SATA conenctions....
Step one for me would have been try it on another computer.
This fellow has not a clue...
Please read back through the thread. I have posted progress reports at every step. Everything has been substituted except the case. The Presonus has been tested on another system and found good. I agree that the man doesn't know from sound.
I don't, Mac, or the guy ripping Richard off?
Eddie,

Considering that Mac’s response wasn’t to you, but to Gary saying this about the Tech guy:

Quote:

This guy apparently doesn't know what he's doing, at least as far as your sound device goes, and that, to me, isn't something that I would trust.

...... , then I think it’s safe to assume Mac was talking about the guy working on Richard’s PC, ...not you.
There are three things that can go wrong on a pc

Hardware
Software
Operator (in this case the tech)

Well he's changed all the hardware, so now he can start on the software.
And when he's finished with that you have to change the operator.
It looks like you should have done that earlier though.
It's being worked on by the Service Department at the Marietta, GA, Micro Center, a regional chain with whom I have been doing business for years. They have done other work for me and done it well. It was on that basis that I brought this machine (which they built, but obviously did not test after assembly) back to them for repair.

I will see them tomorrow about assigning another technician. I have a feeling they will tell me that they have had enough (it has been in the shop for nearly two weeks), in which case will I have a thousand-dollar collection of parts which does not produce sound and which I can't even sell. What do you individually and collectively recommend as a next step?
Richard,

It sucks that you’re having all these problems. I think it has to somehow lie in the people who built it for you.

Mine has been rock solid, but of course it was built by iBUYPOWER. After the build, it went through a 2 day run in and testing before shipping.

I know most of our components are the same, but here’s my spec sheet. Please state what is different on yours.

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It’s possible that it’s hardware or software related, but I suspect incompetence on the part of the builders.

Did you buy the parts from them?

I've never heard of a problem like you're having. That's the reason I've stayed out of the discussion.
One difference that I see right away is that Bob is using Win 7x64 Home Premium and Richard is using Win7x64 Ultimate. I have never liked using network specific software for home or audio work. The Ultimate version has added network security apps that cause slower startups and, in some cases, conflicts with media applications typically used in more intensive media applications. While Ultimate, with its necessary network security, is needed in enterprise business applications, I find it adds complications in media systems. YMMV. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the distortion..or does it?
Ryz should take the box home and install the BIOS upgrade himself. Had he done that in the first place, this whole nightmare would not be happening.

Can't guarantee it is a BIOS upgrade problem, but the signs have been pointing there from the beginning of this thread. DEFINITELY the next thing to try -- and quite often ends up being the last thing tried, as it is known to work.

--Mac
I would make them buy the whole thing back. Shop for a properly spec'ed super machine from one of these sources:

1. Sweetwater music: http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/
2. ADK: http://www.adkproaudio.com/
3. Rain computing: http://raincomputers.com/products/

There are other companies as well to consider, but these folks have already worked out these type of issues from the get-go. These are boxes spec'ed just for high-demand audio work (for which Richard isn't even doing - he's not doing 50+ tracks of I/O - but the kids at the Micro Center don't have a clue which was made crystal clear when they piped back what the PreSonus was).

No, the computer you buy from one of the above will not seem to be spec'ed as highly in some performance areas as the spec-it-yourself method, but you will not have to deal with the issues that Richard is dealing with now. These are ground-up spec machines for audio work. Gamers need not apply - go buy your alienware and clone boxes with neon lights inside from someplace else.

Richard - unless you have lots of personal content to move back off the machine, demand your money back - that would be my advice.

It really blows that you are dealing with this after the excitement you posted about finally getting a new box.

For my next music box, I'm buying from one of the above 3 or I'm joining the dark side and going Mac. I've had to fart around with Windows 7 driver issues on my new lappy, and was able to get it to be functional and fun with my recent Tascam US800 purchase, but I don't get enough time to do this hobby any longer to waste another second trying to sort things out myself. This Samsung lappy I bought about 9 months ago now decides now and then it just doesn't like to work for anything - even simple office function. I've exorcised it 6 ways to breakfast with all manner of anti-malware and anti-virus, etc. At least with an Apple, the boxes are designed ground-up for I/O, musicians in mind - and I've got a 'Genius Bar' less than 5 miles from the house. Cost will be about the same - properly spec'ed and supported PC from one of the above 3 or a Mac with similar performance features. Choices are more limited, but I'm getting crotchety about choice lately, give me fewer choices, just those that work and thank you I'll be recording and editing.
Isn't it just so funny in a sad way that so many people never have ONE problem and others have them non stop? I run my RB on a home built computer with an Asus motherboard and an Intel whatever dual core with 4gb or RAM and the only issues I have were the ones I caused myself by trying to push RB beyond what it could do. And in the end, PG fixed THAT problem. My system runs like a knife through butter. And here is Richard with a brand new computer having major problems.... just no logic to it.

I still don't think it is BIOS related but we'll see. Because it is the USB bus you are dealing with, I doubt it is BIOS related. My BIOS may be 3 revs old, as are half of them in the country, and there is not a BIOS issue. If other devices work on his USB, that would steer me away from the USB bus being the issue.

I still want to see the Presonus work on another computer.
Quote:

I still want to see the Presonus work on another computer.

Both audio and MIDI function of the Presonus have been tested by a department manager and worked perfectly in the music store where I bought it. I took my MIDI controller keyboard in separately and tested it, too; it also worked.
Quote:

One difference that I see right away is that Bob is using Win 7x64 Home Premium and Richard is using Win7x64 Ultimate. I have never liked using network specific software for home or audio work. The Ultimate version has added network security apps that cause slower startups and, in some cases, conflicts with media applications typically used in more intensive media applications. While Ultimate, with its necessary network security, is needed in enterprise business applications, I find it adds complications in media systems. YMMV. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the distortion..or does it?

I bought my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from a Microsoft employee who is also a computer musician and uses it on his DAW without issue.
Quote:

Ryz should take the box home and install the BIOS upgrade himself. Had he done that in the first place, this whole nightmare would not be happening.

Can't guarantee it is a BIOS upgrade problem, but the signs have been pointing there from the beginning of this thread. DEFINITELY the next thing to try -- and quite often ends up being the last thing tried, as it is known to work.

--Mac

If I felt qualified to do the BIOS I would have. I don't. I have stressed this to the technician, who tells me that he did do so. However, when I visited the Gigabyte site it appeared that there were several updates, including several that pertained specifically to audio. Whether he has done these updates I have no idea. I can't hold his hand.

Today they are going to try substituting the case, the only component which has not been replaced yet. If this does not work I will try to return everything and start again elsewhere.
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 mainboard

Intel Core i5 2500K CPU

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 2 Gb GPU

Corsair 8 Gb D3 1600 C9 DIMM x4

Corsair H80 Hydro Cooling Unit

Coolmaster SilentPro Gold 800W PSU

Oztech 60 Gb Sata 6.0 SSD

Western Digital Caviar Black 7,200 RPM 1 Tb HD 64 Mb cache

ASUS 24x D/L DVDRW SATA
Quote:

However, when I visited the Gigabyte site it appeared that there were several updates, including several that pertained specifically to audio. Whether he has done these updates I have no idea.

RED FLAG.

Those "updates" do NOT have anything to do with the BIOS. Do a quick Google on BIOS and read what it actually is. BIOS is Basic Input Output System. BIOS is where you tell the computer "Yes I have SATA drives. Enable them." and "Allow me to wake my computer up remotely." and "The correct time and date is..." and "Boot from HDD first, CD second...." and "Front side bus speed"..... BIOS tweaking is skiing the black diamond slope. If you don't know what Front Side Bus is, it's a good idea to leave it alone, just like if you can't ski, stay on the bunny trail.

What you are seeing is DRIVER updates. Because the provided sound "card" is onboard, it is no less a sound card, and it still requires drivers. In your case, you are not using that. Your "sound card" is a USB device. Thus all you are doing with the computer is interfacing a USB device. That can be a mouse, a keyboard, a printer, an iPod or iPhone dock, a web cam, a reading light, a small heater for your coffee cup... there are a TON of USB devices out there (some of them are hilarious). In your case it is a Presonus sound making device. THAT device will have drivers.

(Refer back to an OLD discussion. Drivers are NOT magic little packets of fairy dust. A driver is nothing more than a small piece of software that tells your operating system how to interact with a piece of hardware. This is why I laugh when people harp on updating drivers. If it worked YESTERDAY, some company offering a newer driver is not going to fix something that is broken today. You ahev to find what broke it. I can't tell you how many repairs I have done for people who insist on downloading new video drivers. WHY? Your video works fine. Just leave it alone until it breaks. THEN try a new driver. Also read what the new driver is supposed to improve before disturbing something that isn't broken.)

There IS obviously something wrong. And Mac is right. Your computer is not in good hands with whoever it is you have working on it given the level of questions they are asking. It sounds like they build computers for gamers and for grandma to get her email and this is out of their league.
To Eddie, Mac, and others,

I'm a smart guy. Until now I have either built or upgraded all my own PCs. And I know the difference between the BIOS and drivers--when I'm paying attention. Problem is, I've got ADD big time, which can make it difficult to follow instructions. It is severe enough that it has cost me jobs in the past because I failed to perform some essential task.

In fact, I just got back from the Tag Office, where I had to buy a replacement sticker for my boat trailer because between the time I bought the original and the time I got home (in December of last year) I forgot to put it on the license plate. I have no idea where the first one is. Fortunately they were kind enough to just print me a duplicate for a couple of bucks and send me on my way. Equally fortunately, I haven't been stopped for an expired tag in the meantime.

So, about the BIOS? I'll leave critical technical operations to the pros.
I have been offered (nearly) the best of all possible worlds.

I went to the shop and asked for a manager, who got the technician. We had a great three-way conversation. I expressed my concerns about the fact that I have spent almost a kilobuck on the PC alone, not counting software, peripherals, assembly and repairs without effective result. This is now the seventh business day that they have had it on their bench.

Bottom line: The tech thinks he has it sussed out. I'm taking him a set of professional headphones--which they don't have--so he can listen through the Presonus, as well as the install disk and documentation for same. He thinks he'll have it ready by close of business tomorrow at the latest.

IF NOT, the manager said that they would accept everything in return, even though it is well past their normal 30-day return period. I said I couldn't ask for more than that and we parted happy. Either I get a working PC from them or I get to order one from someplace recommended here and I'm only out the bench charges. (I was prepared to accept 75% of retail on the return.)

I am officially gruntled.
I've followed this closely, on the wife's Ipad. And there's lots of brain power to help you track stuff down.

Back in the lost ages, I had 3 separate contracts to figure out why certain systems did not run. I'm talking large scale Unix installs that ran up to 200k.

Hardware, Software, environment. What a tangled mess. Why did the data base at Kimberly Clark's paper mill take all night to sort a dozen entries. No one knew. Finger pointing.
Why did a large marketer have their computer crash every Monday. A year went by. Turned out it was the generator test day, and the thing was putting out very bad voltage then. Took me 3 days to figure it out.

My son built a computer for gaming. He's 23. Thing was a disaster from Day 1. Neon/flashing lights. It looked like something from Star Trek.

A possible solution would be to find an HP or some other brand name computer, selected by it's score on the tests Peter uses here. Built for a 'Media Computer'.

I quit buying huge hard drives. I have a Z drive now, Mybook thing by the modem/wireless modem. One linux system running cron to copy the photos and documents and music stuff to the Z drive at 2 a.m.

Telling you the truth it's better it was you than I. In my state I'd have had the BIG one by now!
Rys,
I do have one request of you, and that's when all is said and done, and if they can fix it without replacing it, please let us know what was wrong with it.

I'm going to ask you one other thing. There is a BIOS update for this which resolves a USB 3.0 issue, but since the AudioBox is USB 1.1 is shouldn't matter.
BUT, on the rear of the unit, there are two sets of USB ports. Two of them sit next to the two more, which are sitting next to the Ethernet port. The two that are alone are USB 3.0/2.0. (These should be the blue ones) The other two are USB 2.0/1.1.(These should be the red ones) These are the one that are sitting with the Ethernet port. The AudioBox is a USB 1.1 device. Which USB port are you using??? In this case, it may very VERY important. You want to use the red ones!

I want to go back and expand on this a bit. There are three headers on the mainboard for external USB 2.0/1.1 connectors, like you'd have on your case. If the case is connected to them, I would try the Prosonus in one of those USB connectors. The USB 3.0 standard is supposed to run at up to 5Gb/s versus 480Mb/s for USB 2.0, and electrical noise is a real possibility in audio. Plus, instead of the standard four pins for the lower rates, you have 8 or 9 for USB 3.0. There is a chance that the cable is picking up spurious signals from those other pins, which would cause all sorts of noise.

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

Gary
My concern is that they'll get it sorta working.Key word sorta.Fix one thing by srewing up another and 6 months down the road you're SOL.
Apparently usb3 is not always downward compatible with things like soundcards. Focusrite had to upgrade their drivers for the 212i to clear this issue.
Gary,

Point taken. I knew which USB ports were which on the case, but not on the mobo itself. I was offered the opportunity to upgrade the main board during the the repair, so I will now be running a Gigabyte ZX77 series. I'll post the exact model number when I pick up the machine in the morning. But I will make a point to know exactly what I am plugging into.

John,

I went back to the shop yesterday to deliver a set of headphones for testing and documentation for the Presonus AudioBox. The system was running and appeared to be working fine. (I didn't pick it up at the time because I needed the packaging for the old mobo, and because I needed to get home and sleep, which would have been impossible with a new system sitting in the music room.) The fun will start when I install the audio apps.

Watch this space.
Good luck!
Really hope that this all comes to an end for you Ryszard. Nothing worse than getting a new toy and finding that it doesn't work. I hate the hassle of taking things back and dealing with all of that.
So, Rys, did you get this home and get it running yet? Does it work?

Gary
My time has been limited due to an unusual living situation. So far it sounds great, but I have not been able to try to record yet. For some reason the Presonus ASIO driver does not work with Reason, which is necessary in order to record audio with Reason. Haven't tried MIDI, either. I'll have more time with it later this week.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Success! - 06/02/12 07:29 PM
After more than a week away from home I had planned to devote the day to getting the DAW up and running. Instead, I'll just have to start making music. After only minutes of preparation--IT WORKS.

Sound and video now play perfectly. I plugged in my M-Audio Keystation 49e MIDI controller keyboard; Reason's Autodetect picked it up immediately. All I had to do was create an instrument and I was playing MIDI.

For some reason the ASIO driver supplied with the Presonus AudioBox USB doesn't work. Reason 6 requires an ASIO driver to record audio. So I installed ASIO4ALL, selected it and held my breath. It works and appears to be stable. The acid test was plugging in an actual instrument, creating an Audio Track, and clicking Record. (I'd say "drum roll," but it was actually a bass. Ha, ha.)

My hat is off to technician David Newton and one of the assistant store managers at the Marietta, Georgia, Micro Center. David had the thing on his bench for seven days. During that time he substituted every major component in the system, including the case. We still have no idea what was wrong. Also during that time he communicated with me at least once a day by phone or e-mail. It was the best interaction I've ever had with a serviceperson.

At the end of day six, though, I went to the manager and explained that I could have bought the same system online for the same money, had it burned in for three days and shipped with a three-year warranty. Even though I was over the 30-day mark for returns he agreed to take everything back and issue a refund if it wasn't working to my satisfaction. I've been doing business with Micro Center for years; this just bolsters my already high opinion of them. Oh, and the only cost to me was their standard bench charge and the difference between the original and the new Gigabyte motherboard that David installed. I have no idea how many actual hours went into it.

Thanks again to everyone here for their input. Next step is to reinstall BIAB, Real Band, and other music-related apps and get to work. I am confident that my next questions will be purely practical matters of actual program use and music production.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Success! - 06/02/12 08:06 PM
Rys,
I'm glad things are working for you. I still wish I knew what the problem was, given that you had to change out everything to get it to work.

When I lived in the east coast, Micro Center was my 'go-to' computer store, even though it meant a bit of a drive to get there. They have always been a wonderful store to buy from, intelligent and educated employees, and well worth the time, effort and money spent there.

Gary
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Success! - 06/03/12 12:35 AM
I'll assume you've tried getting the latest ASIO driver from PreSonus, and hit their message boards as well. I found with my PreSonus FireBox that there were plenty of common issues with the unit that were not discussed openly with driver update text, but users found them in common. PreSonus is a big boy company. They should have an ASIO driver that actually works for a current product.

-Scott
© PG Music Forums