PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 01:28 PM
It is with a very sad heart that I report my very good friend Ian Fraser has died. I have helped with Ian’s music many times over the last few years and we had become good friends.

Most of Ian’s songs are on the forum. Ian was also a major contributor in helping others with BiaB, RB and PTPA problems. He will be missed here.

This is the email I received from his friend, co-writer and singer Greg:

“Hi Mario,

I Just heard late 11:30 Wed evening that my brother (in heart and music) Ian Fraser died sometime over the last 2-3 days in his apartment in Ottawa. I have spoken with two of his daughters and his ex-wife. He apparently fell in the bathroom and hit his head. The coroner still has to file a report.

Please let his friends at Taxi and the other music forums he was on know that he has left us. Thank you for being his friend.

Sincerely

Greg Yarrow”

May God bless Ian Fraser
Posted By: jford Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 01:33 PM
That's so sad. I was just PM'ing with him two weeks ago (he reached out to me for some help). He will be missed on the forum. Prayers....
Posted By: silvertones Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 01:34 PM
OMG!
That is so sad to hear!
Posted By: seeker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 01:41 PM
I will light candles for him and his family.

As John mentioned that is so sudden and sad.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:00 PM
Sad to hear this Mario. He seemed a genuinely nice man.
We've lost another asset on the forum.
Prayers for his family...

Mick
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:01 PM
Oh no, Mario! Such terrible news about one of our own! I feel so stupid after just pointing my "Otterwa" joke at him so recently. But, he could always hold his own when jokes were swapped. He will be long remembered as a great and willing contributor on these forums as well as his lyrical genius, a true wordsmith.

Farewell, friend!
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:09 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo.

All those great pms we shared. Our hearing loss.

Geeeeeeez.
Posted By: furry Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:18 PM
Oh Mario what a shame. That's another one of the old members gone.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:26 PM
I cannot find his obit. Maybe tomorrow. We were so short of Canadians around here already. He always got in touch when things were tough, and we'd make fun of our hearing loss. I'm having the beer we were going to have in Wakefield even if it is 10:30.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:28 PM
Ian was always one of the nicest people on the forum.

He will be missed.
Posted By: gibson Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:47 PM
That is AWFUl. He seemed a genuinely nice guy from his posts and songs.
All I can say is thanks for the memories, Ian. RIP

Alyn
Posted By: filkertom Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:49 PM
Aw no. So very sorry to hear this. Condolences, hugs, gentle songs to his family and friends.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 02:56 PM
That is very sad news.

It was wise of Ian to have friends who knew of his online friendships and could notify us.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 03:24 PM
I am very saddened by these news. My heart and prayers go out to Ian's family and friends. This is so terrible!!!!

Sincerely,
Mike
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 03:46 PM
I thought that I would forgo the joke topic today out of my deep respect for Ian but I think that he would want me to continue it. He always loved a good laugh, especially at the expense of we Irish.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:11 PM
Agreed, Don. He'd be disappointed if you didn't post some humour.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:21 PM
Very sorry to hear this, Mario. Ian was one of the most positive voices on this forum.

He will be missed.

Don S.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:28 PM
Totally sad. He was a class act.

Sitting here and wondering how it is that losing someone I have never met, was not likely to ever meet, and knew so little about can have such a stunning impact.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:30 PM
Okay, I posted a joke that I think Ian would enjoy and approve.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:38 PM
That is soooooo sad!
http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 04:38 PM
In times like this, it is good to reflect on what is important in our lives. Friends, family, and caring for others. What ever you do today, show an act of kindness to some, both deserving, and some not so.

Ian seemed to me to pass away leaving a good name here at PG. In the end how we are remembered matters. Did we make a good name for ourselves with God, family, friends, strangers we meet. Makes you rethink how you treat people.

The Bible says " a good name is better than fine gold". At least around here Iam had that good name.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 05:51 PM
I'm speechless. Ian was a class act all the way.

He will be missed. Life is too fragile.

Kevin
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:00 PM
Ian and I exchanged several e-mails back awhile ago as he was trying to figure out how to compensate for his hearing loss, while still pursuing his hobby of making music.

I take his example of plowing ahead, even with what some might consider a very limiting disability, to heart as the right way to approach any challenge in life.

In all communication I had with him, he seemed like a genuinely nice person. As others have stated, his input will be missed around here.

Ian is one of those folks that I really wish I could have met 'in-person' instead of this rather artificial asynchronous communication we have on forums.

-Scott
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:07 PM
Oh no! This is sooooo shocking. I've learned so much from him. I will miss him greatly.

Mario, would it be possible to forward these notes of sadness and appreciation for his help to all of us to members of his family. I think that they would appreciate hearing of his contributions here. Perhaps PG Music would be able to help.

Jeff
Posted By: DrDan Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:12 PM
Very sad to hear this. My condolences to his family and my prayers for Ian.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:35 PM
Quote:

Mario, would it be possible to forward these notes of sadness and appreciation for his help to all of us to members of his family. I think that they would appreciate hearing of his contributions here.

That's great idea Jeff. If Ian's family has internet access, Mario could provide them a link to this thread so they can follow the comments and condolences from Ian's friends.

As Kevin said, "life is too fragile". Ian's last post was on the 14th, so it appears it was only a day or two before his passing.

My thoughts are with his family and it would be good for them to know how well liked Ian was by the folks on the forum.

As already stated, Ian was a "class act".
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:47 PM
Ian was going to visit me, and I was going to visit him. We both had occasion to visit a pub in Wakefield, and Ian had played there on occasion.

We exchanged ideas and observations often.

I see the last thing he wrote me was:

That he was going to visit a friend here and we would get together and help this friend with Powertracks. And I was going to Ottawa and we'd maybe take the steam train to Wakefield.

There's no dates on the PM's in the forums, that surprised me. It seemed like only a few weeks back. I see he said his meds ran over 3k a month like mine.

blue above and blue below
your old canoe glides softly
the mist of golden morn rises, swirls
the sun on each silver drop
from your now still paddle shines
and where the distant loon calls
sensing your spirits winding...
Blue above and Blue below.

then as the "sudden seven ducks"*1
splashed in the Lievere, bluer,
just up ahead.

John
Till the great human soul complete her span.
Beneath the waves of storm that lash and burn,
The currents of blind passion that appall,
To listen and keep watch till we discern
The tide of sovereign truth that guides it all;
So to address our spirits to the height,
And so attune them to the valiant whole,
That the great light be clearer for our light,
And the great soul the stronger for our soul:
To have done this is to have lived, though fame
Remember us with no familiar name."*2

1, 2 Archibald Lampman, canadian poet

John
Posted By: kelso Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 06:52 PM
What sad and shocking news. I always read posts by Ian because he was always so helpful and respectful to all and always had a good point of view. I'll miss him.

Wow, just Wow.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 07:00 PM
Mario, I sent you a PM.

Jeff
Posted By: ROG Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 07:05 PM
The forum has lost something valuable today. Sad news indeed. Our thoughts are with his family.

ROG.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 07:59 PM
Jeff, I’m going to email Greg and see if I can set things up. It would be nice if his children could see how much he meant to all of this, especially me.

Don, not to worry about jokes! Besides our love for music we also shared a love for hockey. Ian was an Ottawa Senators fan and I am a Buffalo Sabres fan. For those who don’t know the Senators and the Sabres “hate” each other on the ice, i.e. a big time rivalry. So when they played each other one of us got an email saying how good their team was and how poor the loser was, great camaraderie between good friends. I will miss that as much as I will miss his music.
Posted By: Mac Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 08:00 PM
My prayers are with his family.

Ian will be missed.

--Mac
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 09:18 PM
Quote:

...I always read posts by Ian because he was always so helpful and respectful to all and always had a good point of view...

A gentleman.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 09:20 PM
I am so stunned and saddened by this news. Here I am shedding tears over someone I never actually met. But he was such a nice guy always ready to help and an absolute inspiration. He made me laugh with that wry sense of humor. It's so incredible and hard to accept that he's gone. I'm glad we got to know a little part of him here with his music and wit. Ian will be missed.

God rest his soul and bless and comfort his family.

Thank you Mario for letting us know.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 10:20 PM
Ian, recently changed his Avatar, however, this is how many remember him. RIP

Posted By: rsdean Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 10:39 PM
This news is so very sad... my thoughts are with Ian's family.

Bob
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 10:44 PM
When Ian's obit hits the local papers, it would be a wonderful gesture of friendship if we were all to sign his guestbook. They often have a place to sign and comment.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 10:59 PM
Dan,

Quote:

Ian, recently changed his Avatar, however, this is how many remember him. RIP

Thanks for posting the pic of Ian. I was thinking earlier that I wished his smiling face was still on his avatar.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 11:31 PM
Quote:

When Ian's obit hits the local papers, it would be a wonderful gesture of friendship if we were all to sign his guestbook. They often have a place to sign and comment.

Great idea. I hope someone posts a link. Ian and I often conversed through PM as we were the last of the win 2000 hold outs using somewhat antiquated gear.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/19/12 11:38 PM
My heart is very heavy after hearing this truly sad news. I will always remember Ian as a gentlemen. Like many of you we shared PMs and music ideas, he will be sadly missed.

Mario if you can, please let his family know how much Ian is loved and respected here on the PG Music Forums.

Thanks Mario,
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 12:11 AM
Very sad news. Ian will be missed. My prayers are with his family.

Peter
Peter Gannon
Posted By: rharv Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 12:20 AM
Very sad
I can only agree; he was a great guy that will be missed by many.
He will indeed be missed here
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 01:29 AM
FYI – Greg was able to log onto this thread. He is currently printing all of the contents and he will send them to Ian’s children. I know that they will be thrilled to know that all of his PGMusic Internet friends thought extremely highly of him. I for one will miss him dearly.
Posted By: carkins Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 03:07 AM
I always enjoyed Ian's comments and positive input.

You could tell he was the kind of person who made a conscious effort to try to make this world a better place with his music and concern for others.

He will be missed by all who knew him well and those of us who just knew him casually through this forum.

As they say in the South, "Ian, ya done good!!!"

Carkins
Posted By: dcuny Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 04:31 AM
My prayers are with him and his family.

And for us too, this small family of strangers.

Eternal rest, grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 05:39 AM
Very sad news indeed. He seemed a nice guy, always helpful and friendly.
My condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 06:24 AM
Although I didn't have any interactions with Ian, I always enjoyed reading his posts, and he seemed like a really nice guy. May he Rest in Peace.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 06:50 AM
When I saw the post, I couldn't believe what I was reading. It was quite a shock. Ian was a great person to know. I had an awful lot of respect for him and I'm going to miss his virtual self around these forums. My prayers are with his family.

Rest in peace, Ian.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 06:51 AM
what an unexpected reminder that life is temporary for all of us. Ian was enthusiastic about life and about music. He was one of the most congenial people on the forum.. I can't think of one time when he had a disagreement with anyone. Put me on the list of people who will miss him. Dang, I really hate this.
Posted By: martin57 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 09:39 AM
Very sad to hear this, Ian was indeed a great guy, got a shock too when I read it. I remember when I posted about my hearing problem and Ian was very willing to help, could even introduce a bit of humour into it, when he stated.

"Cheers All - I'll see you at the battery counter"

R.I.P Ian

martin57
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 10:48 AM
I was very saddened and shocked to hear that Ian had passed.
My thoughts go to his family at this difficult time.

George
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 10:54 AM
I don't recall that I ever interacted, either, but I had tremendous respect for Ian based on his thoughtful posts, which I usually read just because they were his. The loss of such a highly regarded forum member will leave an empty spot for many of us. I send my condolences and prayers to his family and friends.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 02:30 PM
We had quite a bit of conversation based upon Ottawa being my favorite city in Canada. We talked about the restaurant on top of the hotel that rotated, about the madness of Grey Cup weekend I saw when I played there, the place I played, Gatineau park, the short drive over to Hull Quebec where things went on until 4am.... very pleasant, friendly guy. We will truly miss him.

I remember joking with him about curling, asking him "Isn't that ice clean enough that two people need to sweep it like that?" and "When curling is out of season, do the broom guys work part time following the elephants around at the circus?"
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 04:18 PM
I, being the son of Canuck parents, felt a license to give Ian "both barrels" and he responded in kind. We had many fun exchanges by PM. He was always the gentlemen and loved to verbally spar with me. I will sorely miss those wonderful exchanges with a wonderful, giving, loving human being.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 06:49 PM
Ian was profoundly deaf in both ears, and what little hearing he had was leaving.

His illnesses required a lot of medications, and we talked about our 'stuff'.

We marvelled together at the fact that we'd be broke if we had to pay medical bills.

I was cognizant of the Ottawa Valley music, part Irish part whatever. The guys who built the Rideau, and logged the area.

I suspect Ian had a stroke or heart problem and his worn out body had had enough.

Yesterday was a very bad day. The light was poor, it rained, and I had Ian weighing on my mind.

Ian loved Stan Rogers. I listen to Stan's brother now, he's part of the eastern Canadian folk scene. This weekend is our Homecounty folk festival, I don't know if Garnet Rogers is on the bill or not.

I suggest you listen to the following, for I know we discussed 2 of these, and how we'd arrange them.

The Mary Ellen Carter (stan rogers)
Northwest Passage

BUT you should listen to the sea shanty Stan wrote when dared to try to write one:

Barett's Privateers (Sung in almost every pub in Canada...)

Stan died at 33, sitting in a plane on the tarmac in Cincinnati when it caught fire.

RIP buddy. I'm keeping the last PM..
Posted By: DennisD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 10:46 PM
R.I.P. Ian Fraser. I only knew Ian through the Forum posts yet I feel I have lost someone I knew personally. Maybe because forum posters "cut to the chase" on most issues I feel a kindred spirit with them. Ian was a gentleman and his contributions will be missed. My condolences and regards to his family and friends. DennisD
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 11:14 PM
Mario, do we know his obit yet? May we post our comments in his guestbook somewhere. I haven't seen anything in the newspapers yet.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/20/12 11:15 PM
A sad day to hear this. My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and to all of you, as well.

Rest in peace, Ian.

Gary
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 12:16 AM
:-(
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 12:45 AM
Man, this sad news. Ian will be missed indeed.

How fragile we are

My condolences to Ians loved ones.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 01:48 AM
Quote:

Mario, do we know his obit yet? May we post our comments in his guestbook somewhere. I haven't seen anything in the newspapers yet.

Don, I have heard nothing yet. If I do I will put it up, that you can count on.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 04:08 AM
I have looked in every online Ottawa newspaper I could find and can't find his obit. This one will go up on the cork board to look at often. Kind of guy I should probably take some "nice" lessons from.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 04:23 AM
Quote:

I have looked in every online Ottawa newspaper I could find and can't find his obit. This one will go up on the cork board to look at often. Kind of guy I should probably take some "nice" lessons from.

awww come on Eddie.. .if you took nice lessons, you'd lose the edge that keeps things frisky around here.

Posted By: yjoh Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 04:42 AM
I didn't know Ian as well as everyone else here but it still saddened me to here this news.
I hope it offers some comfort to his family to know how many people liked and respected him.

My deepest condolences.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 10:07 AM
Dear Ian, I have fond memories. We communicated from time to time and be was a gentleman. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

John
Posted By: cchallum Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 11:54 AM
I always read his posts and learned much by doing so.....he obviously was so very well thought of and respected greatly by all of us.
My prayers go out to his family!! He is missed greatly.
Cecil
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 01:37 PM
Quote:

I know they were going to do an autopsy to determine the cause of death. That may take a few days.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 02:09 PM
Quote:

I know they were going to do an autopsy to determine the cause of death. That may take a few days.

I had that same thought, Mario. I also scoured the Ottawa newspapers and found nothing. Probably won't see anything over the weekend.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 02:17 PM
Scoured?

Gee we've got the Citizen, which is the age old broadsheet newspaper.

And the Sun which is a chain of tabloid papers, of semi conservative ilk.

I don't think he lived in the 'burbs, but 1/2 of Ottawa lives outside Ottawa, away from tourists and politicians.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 02:20 PM
Scoured?

Gee we've got the Citizen, which is the age old broadsheet newspaper.

And the Sun which is a chain of tabloid papers, of semi conservative ilk.

I don't think he lived in the 'burbs, but 1/2 of Ottawa lives outside Ottawa, away from tourists and politicians.

Several of my Dad's relatives died. He reads the obits first and the Blue Jays box scores next. They never put them in the paper. I met my cousin in a restaurant and asked how my Dad's aunt was, and they looked at me odd, and then told me she had died the previous year. I asked why they didn't tell us or publish and obit and they just shrugged.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 02:48 PM
When my brother died recently, I learned that the mortuary is entitled to a free obit write-up but seldom submits one. The family, on the other hand, must pay for a listing. Once they publish it they offer to keep it running, for a fee, of course.

It's not a bunch of Loonies so, if no one else takes care of it, I'm in for US$5. Somebody must collect the Loonies with a PayPal account. I'm thinking US$25 should cover a nice obituary notice.

Quote:

scour
verb
to look through (as a place) carefully or thoroughly in an effort to find or discover something <the police scoured the city for the Typhoid Mary of this latest epidemic>
Synonyms comb, dig (through), dredge, hunt (through), rake, ransack, rifle, rummage, scour, sort (through), troll
Related Words frisk, pat down, shake down; audit, check (out), examine, inspect, investigate, review, scan, scrutinize, survey; ascertain, descry, detect, determine, discover, ferret (out), find, find out, get, hit (on or upon), learn, locate, run down, scare up, track (down); grub (about), poke (around); explore, probe, prospect, skirmish, snoop; browse, glance (over), look over; peruse, study
Near Antonyms hide; abandon, lose; ignore, neglect

Source: Webster's Collegiate Dictionary under Scour.

Abraham Lincoln used the word to mean: search thoroughly. It may be a colloquial term but it is acceptable in informal conversation.

We are never too old or too educated to learn from our tenacious Yank friends. You can quote me on that!

Me wee Mum, herself being Canadian, used "scour" to mean "scrub" or "search or seek" depending on context.
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 05:45 PM
I am stunned by this sad news. I pray God will comfort his family and friends.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Ian Fraser has passed *DELETED* - 07/21/12 07:16 PM
Posted By: musiclover Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/21/12 09:37 PM
So sad to hear about Ian, I was a big fan of his posts on here and also visited his website many times, seemed a real nice clever polite guy, I will really miss him around here.

Hope his family will get a little confort if they ever get to read what his online friends here have posted.

Musiclover
Posted By: pikeyh Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/22/12 09:24 PM
What a tragedy...RIP Ian....love and prayers to his friends and loved ones from South Wales UK.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/22/12 09:46 PM
Don, I think what he meant was to question how much "scouring" it would take to check 2 newspapers.... still don't find anything.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/22/12 11:29 PM
I keep scouring too. Nada! If nothing yet tomorrow, lets implement Plan B. I have 5 bux just burning a hole in me wee Oyrish pocket.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/22/12 11:50 PM
What sad news. He wasn't that old but people always leave too soon. At least now he can really make heavenly music with a choir of angels.

RIP, Ian. Goodbye my friend

Ian was a wonderful songwriter with a real passion for his music. He says it all in one of his own songs:

Should You Find Me
©1975 Words and Music - Ian Fraser

See me now, I haven't changed
I guess I won't until I feel the need;
I wish on stars, I dream my dreams
I guess I'll always be the dreamer.

And should you find me, hold on tight
Love me I need you to be strong
Tomorrow's ours, my love, if I can find the strength
To lead me through whatever comes along.

I need love, I grew up that way,
Grew up to know love, and it was always there;
I stand here now, before your open arms
Please guide me with your love don't fail me.

No promises, no guarantees
What you get is what you see
A simple soul, a simple heart
Should you find me.

Here I am, the man will never change,
Just the aging of the child inside of me;
I'm full of hope, and I've love to give,
But will I always be the loner.

Posted By: Steve Young Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 12:00 AM
What a shock! Ian will be greatly missed in this forum. We communicated a few times by pm, and he was always so nice, a real gentleman.

One of the things I have always enjoyed about this forum is the genuine "family" feel. There may be some minor disagreements from time to time, but overall, everyone treats each other with genuine love and respect. Ian was a true foundation of the good qualities of the forum.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this time of loss.

Steve
Posted By: multitracker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 03:19 AM
Truly sad to hear this. Like everyone, I found Ian to be a true gentleman and always more than willing to help in any way. I will miss his presence very much.

Terry
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 12:39 PM
To Ian's children:

Your father was loved, as you can see from these posts. We hope that this will be some comfort to you in the time of your loss. You are in our prayers.

Bob & Penny Burke
Posted By: mglinert Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 03:13 PM
Sad news indeed. Ian was a thoroughly good guy, quite apart from being a talented songwriter.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 07:42 PM
I thought it would be a loving gesture if we all did our part to keep Ian's music alive by each of us doing one or more of his songs. I can't read music but, if somebody will give me a chord progression, I will contribute my interpretation.

Just thinking aloud - this is the most forum space that ANY death has devoted to ANYONE! That speaks volumes about the love that we all felt toward Ian.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 11:40 PM
Quote:

I thought it would be a loving gesture if we all did our part to keep Ian's music alive by each of us doing one or more of his songs.

Not a bad idea at all. Can you or anyone post a link to his list of songs - if available online?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/23/12 11:45 PM
Here's my original tune I titled "Ottawa Is Blue (Tonight)" It's nearly 5 minutes long so I can cut/paste another few instruments in very gladly. If anybody wants to add-in then I'll blow a hole in the middle somewhere.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music

It's the top song on the list.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/24/12 12:59 AM
Here's the link to Ian's music site.

http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/25/12 08:03 PM
What are we, Ian's friends, going to do about a wee obituary notice? I'm in for US$5.00! Just tell me where to send it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/26/12 01:13 AM
Don, I am waiting for Ian’s co-writer to contact me. I’m sure he is waiting for Ian’s family to contact him. I don’t want to bother him, he is very reliable, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to pester the family.

If I remember correctly Ian’s family is spread between Canada’s east and west coasts and parts in-between. For all I know he may be buried in some other area in Canada and/or it is taking sometime to contact the family and plan a proper funeral.

Also there may have been a listing in another paper. I don’t know for sure.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/26/12 01:21 AM
Mario,

Do you know Ian's approx age? I don't recall him ever saying.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/26/12 01:23 AM
Quote:

Mario,

Do you know Ian's approx age? I don't recall him ever saying.

Bob, Ian was only 64.
Posted By: krisAM Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/27/12 07:01 PM
is so sad when someone loved dies...RIP
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/29/12 01:03 PM
I found Ian's daughter in Montreal has a masters and works for a girls agency. Pics of her and Ian. Sent a message.
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 07/30/12 04:55 AM
Ian is in paradise now. He's happy that we all loved and appreciated him. I'll miss his smiling face and the music he put out. Have a great trip home Ian. Some of us will see you soon.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/09/12 11:54 AM
Update: Ian’s family will be visiting this site to view the comments so I wanted to bump this up to the top of the list. Lets keep bumping this so they will have easy access to all of the wonderful comments made by us, his friends.

Thanx
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/11/12 12:27 PM
bump-for the family
Posted By: furry Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/11/12 07:26 PM
Bump
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/11/12 08:13 PM
Ian's Bump, should be a sticky! He was a great forum member!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/11/12 09:48 PM
Between us, his many friends, we can bump this up to where "Curiosity" is exploring on the Red Planet. I doubt seriously if Dr. Gannon would/will object.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/11/12 11:45 PM
For Ian’s family;

An explanation of the term “bump” simply means the people on the forum are making sure the discussion about how much we thought of Ian remains high on the list of topics on the front page. Each comment pushes it back toward the top.

Ian was our friend. We will miss him.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/12/12 10:52 AM
1+!
Posted By: MikeK Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/12/12 02:27 PM
+1 !!!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/14/12 02:32 PM
Doin the Bump for Ian!
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/16/12 01:57 AM
This is truly a shock to me - I've been away for awhile and just read the thread a few moments ago.

I've always seen Ian to be a polite, warm individual; ready to share and never utter a negative comment.

He will be sadly missed by all.

Glenn
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/16/12 06:21 AM
On 08/13/12 12:30 PM Ian's post on Modern Country Music Listeners was reactivated, maybe he just popped in to say Goodbye to his friends.

Rock on Ian
Posted By: John Conley Re: Ian Fraser has passed - 08/17/12 03:28 AM
I remain devastated. We talked of many things, had lots of laughs. We both loved the same things. And we marveled at the cultural divide between Canada and the USA.

This, of course, will seem obtuse to some but an odd angle to others.

Ian, thanks for the laughs, the memories, the scene in Wakefield, and our problems with hearing. I still would take your place buddy, your work for the deaf was more important than my ground down silent pain wrought miserable days.

I will do my best to pen my ode to our rivers and dreams. I miss you, you wit and day to day joie de vivre, I wish we had had that chance to take the steam train in the evening, I so love hearing it echo through the evening light, chugging back to Ottawa, the lights in the cars glowing in the valley as the whistle died and decayed, so mournful and plaintive.
© PG Music Forums