PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones New Gig - 08/28/12 11:13 PM
I just landed a new gig at a Bowling Alley!!New owners,last 2 years, trying to build it into more then just bowling.I will play every Sat. from 7-9+ as well as special functions.Has a great room with nice dance floor as well as an outside covered deck.She wants to promote special functions.Falls right in step with my animal cause. I'm very excited.I love house gigs.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 12:50 AM
Congrats John! Way to go.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 01:13 AM
John,

That is great news, ya gonna kill!

Later,
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 01:16 AM
Fantastic John! You'll have even more gigs after the Chamber of Commerce show.

Keep us posted.
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 01:18 AM
Quote:

Congrats John! Way to go.

Thanks! Get to play some Country in the State of Georgia.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 02:58 AM
So you'll be going on the road again, seein' places that you never been?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 02:59 AM
Quote:

Thanks! Get to play some Country in the State of Georgia.

There's not very many better suited places to play country.

Unless of course you come up to WV to play.
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 11:22 AM
Quote:

So you'll be going on the road again, seein' places that you never been?

Sort of. I live in NC but the Ga & Tn borders are only 5 miles away.I can officially say I'm touring 3 States.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 12:00 PM
Think Big! Say you're touring the Southeast!
Posted By: Mac Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 07:37 PM
That's great, John!

Have Fun,

--Mac
Posted By: MikeK Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 07:44 PM
Congrats, John! That's really awesome!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 08/29/12 11:09 PM
I do hope that everyone here understands that I'm not bragging about my gigs. What I'm trying to do is show the newbies here that indeed one can go out and play music live and be successful at it using BIAB or RealBand.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 12:20 AM
And you live in one of the most beautiful places in the US of A. I would love to live in western NC. In the Smoky Mountains... oh hell yeah!
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 01:14 AM
Quote:

And you live in one of the most beautiful places in the US of A. I would love to live in western NC. In the Smoky Mountains... oh hell yeah!

So what's keepin' ya?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 01:18 AM
I'd have to sell a house (and HOPE to break even), find a job.... at 61... not a good age to start over in a new city.

But the thought of being so close to a place as beautiful as the Smoky Mountains, having that place to walk with my dog and take pictures.... As hard as IT work is to find even in bigger cities, to enjoy the more rustic living I'd be driving an hour to Charlotte to work every day.

I think about it a lot, but logistics just aren't there.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 01:22 AM
If I recall, Asheville is the first major city to the east of John. My brother moved there, and I visited once. If he were still living, I would be down there again; the mountains are very beautiful (and that's from a native of the Adirondacks).
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 01:36 AM
About 8 years ago I took a 4 day weekend and went to The Biltmore. Left early on a Thursday, made the 8 hour drive and had the balance of Thursday, all of Friday, all of Saturday and Sunday until about 3pm when I headed back. I had the previous dog, also a Terrier, and she walked with me along those trails with energy I hadn't seen in her before and didn't see again. The dog I have now would love it even more. Charlotte would be perfect. Mountains one way, ocean the other way. But life seems to be in the way. Finances won't permit it, job availability considerations... I am pretty much stuck here until the end of the show....
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 01:43 AM
Quote:

I do hope that everyone here understands that I'm not bragging about my gigs. What I'm trying to do is show the newbies here that indeed one can go out and play music live and be successful at it using BIAB or RealBand.

John,

Same here, nothing special about me but I am playing 75 - 85 gigs a year for the past 3 years. I guess it may be something special about BIAB.

Later,
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 02:16 AM
I envy you guys for having the energy to do that. After my 40 hour job, there is just not enough gas in the tank to spend weeks preparing a show, then to load out, load in, set up, play, load out, load back into the house..... Even 2-3 a month would ruin me for the whole next week.

I had a band suddenly lose their sound man in July 2011 who called me to run sound. I did it until January. They didn't work much, but when I had to run sound on a Saturday, I didn't get home until 4am. By the time the adrenaline burned off, it was 5am before I got to sleep. Then I would sleep until 1pm. That made me lose my whole Sunday, as well as when it was time to go to sleep Sunday night, I had only been awake 9-10 hours and would lay awake until 2-3. Then the alarm woke me at 6:30, and I was tired all Monday. And that is all from just running sound!!

And to think that I was in a band that played 7 shows over 4 days from Thursday thru Sunday! Now I play one show a year and it drains me.
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 08/30/12 11:04 AM
Quote:

I envy you guys for having the energy to do that. After my 40 hour job, there is just not enough gas in the tank to spend weeks preparing a show, then to load out, load in, set up, play, load out, load back into the house..... Even 2-3 a month would ruin me for the whole next week.

I had a band suddenly lose their sound man in July 2011 who called me to run sound. I did it until January. They didn't work much, but when I had to run sound on a Saturday, I didn't get home until 4am. By the time the adrenaline burned off, it was 5am before I got to sleep. Then I would sleep until 1pm. That made me lose my whole Sunday, as well as when it was time to go to sleep Sunday night, I had only been awake 9-10 hours and would lay awake until 2-3. Then the alarm woke me at 6:30, and I was tired all Monday. And that is all from just running sound!!

And to think that I was in a band that played 7 shows over 4 days from Thursday thru Sunday! Now I play one show a year and it drains me.

It was like that for me 10 years ago. Very tough to work 40 hrs and play on the weekend. I don't work anymore and quite frankly it's a lot of work just getting through the days with nothing.I wellcome the chance to play. Most gigs are earlier as well. 11:00PM the latest.
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 12:46 PM
Quote:

I just landed a new gig at a Bowling Alley!!New owners,last 2 years, trying to build it into more then just bowling.I will play every Sat. from 7-9+ as well as special functions.Has a great room with nice dance floor as well as an outside covered deck.She wants to promote special functions.Falls right in step with my animal cause. I'm very excited.I love house gigs.

Well that was fun while it lasted.Never even got off the ground thanks to BMI. They just can't afford the fees.The Cafe next door got hit about 6 weeks ago. I figured I'd get one gig in.We must have a BMI rep, official or un-official, living in the Town. I know the Law is the Law but come on.An old goat playing a few cover tunes at a bowling alley in hopes of raising a few bucks for the animals.Now I don't get anything & neither do they.What's this World coming to?
Posted By: MountainSide Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear about that John. I thought this was a win-win for the business, the community and the animals....everyone except the bureaucrats. While I too understand that the law is the law, you sometimes have to wonder who benefits from what. Helping a small business grow, helping the community have a wholesome place to go and helping the animals...that seems like great combination...perhaps except to lawyers.
Posted By: toucher Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 01:15 PM
Congrats John,

I'm envious. I'd do anything to get that kind of gig, except of course practice and promote myself.

Rob
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 07:57 PM
"Never even got off the ground thanks to BMI"

"An old goat playing a few cover tunes at a bowling alley in hopes of raising a few bucks for the animals."

It don't matter, if you don't pay ya don't play. The bad part it trying to figure out HOW much $$ is getting to the Original Artist since the crack downs have started...

I wonder when they will be popping in my weekend sitting on the porch jam that we do here....I mean we ARE outside, playing to family & friends.....
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 09:27 PM
Quote:

Congrats John,

I'm envious. I'd do anything to get that kind of gig, except of course practice and promote myself.

Rob

Now that was funny I don't care where ya from!

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Gig - 09/01/12 09:31 PM
John,

Sorry to here the bad news re: the gig.

Really make one think about the big picture.

Later,
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: New Gig - 09/02/12 02:13 AM
John, I'm sorry that the gig fell through. I haven't been to a bowling alley for a long time, but I seem to recall it having a juke box and/or piped music running.
Is that the case with the place you were booked to play? If so,they must have a permit or license for that. And if so, wouldn't that cover you?
Posted By: DrDan Re: New Gig - 09/02/12 11:58 AM
Quote:

John, I'm sorry that the gig fell through. I haven't been to a bowling alley for a long time, but I seem to recall it having a juke box and/or piped music running.
Is that the case with the place you were booked to play? If so,they must have a permit or license for that. And if so, wouldn't that cover you?

There is a specific form and formular to determine the fee. the single jukeboxe is ~$350/yr. If you have a live player it then depends on how often and how large you are. Fee would approach ~$1000/yr.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New Gig - 09/02/12 12:18 PM
Let's hear it for the music industry for supporting live music--NOT.

Seriously, how is a band supposed to address this? Do we now have to get a license for every cover we play? And how to make that workable for players and clubs? What else? What am I not asking here?
Posted By: DrDan Re: New Gig - 09/02/12 12:39 PM
Quote:

Let's hear it for the music industry for supporting live music--NOT.

Seriously, how is a band supposed to address this? Do we now have to get a license for every cover we play? And how to make that workable for players and clubs? What else? What am I not asking here?

The cost is supposted to be paid by the club management, as the "price of doing business". You want to play nice and follow the rules and get along? pay the money!
Posted By: silvertones Re: New Gig - 09/02/12 09:06 PM
I called to ask if I could buy a license.Nope.I asked can the venue get a license month to month to see how it works out.Nope. Got to pay for a year.The initial Cafe that got caught and thus ended the Bowling Alley gig seats 20 people.She wanted music 1 night a week.Play the radio the rest of the time. 3 Agencies involved ,BMI,ASCAP & another who's name escapes me.Was over $1000 up front for the year.She could pay on a monthly basis but had to commit for a year and the interest was very high. Starting to ring a bell folks?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New Gig - 09/03/12 03:39 AM
Quote:

I called to ask if I could buy a license.Nope.I asked can the venue get a license month to month to see how it works out.Nope. Got to pay for a year.The initial Cafe that got caught and thus ended the Bowling Alley gig seats 20 people.She wanted music 1 night a week.Play the radio the rest of the time. 3 Agencies involved ,BMI,ASCAP & another who's name escapes me.Was over $1000 up front for the year.She could pay on a monthly basis but had to commit for a year and the interest was very high. Starting to ring a bell folks?

Said it before, and I'll say it again...
I see more and more local venues advertising for acts that play ONLY original material.. presumably because:

1) They can have live music to lure customers, but...
2) they won't have to pay fees to the sharks
3) original songs are cooler anyway if you want to pass off your establishment as being an "artsy" place

all of which gives us a distinct advantage, because BIAB and RB make it just as easy to lay down original tracks as covers.

Don't give up John. You are a very talented guy who DOES have his act together. These others are the ones who don't. Survivors are those who have the tools to adapt to the new reality. You're a survivor, and so are the rest of us.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New Gig - 09/03/12 03:44 AM
Another thing to try:

in an effort to revitalize and draw customers to downtown areas of most towns, merchants organize street music events that benefit all of the downtown merchants. Because the cost of fees gets absorbed by all of them, it's more affordable, and I dare say that all downtowns already have such a license to cover their year's events.

You just need to contact whatever agency is responsible for booking the bands (most merchants should know who this is)
Posted By: KeithS Re: New Gig - 09/03/12 04:00 AM
I don't think you will hear complaints about the current system of licensing venues from musicians who earn a substantial part of their living from playing live music. Most of the complaints that I read or hear about are from folks wanting to break into the business on the cheap. Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think it helps the profession to enable venues to put out product just to see if it works. Someone who wants to cut corners on license fees is also going to want to cut corners on paying the talent. That means either good talent not getting paid a living wage or bad talent that is willing to work for cut rate prices. Neither is good for working musicians or the reputaiton of live music.

I don't mean that as a slam on anyone because I'm not familiar with anyone's music on here. The way to get jobs in the live music industry is going to the venues that are licensed an convincing them you are good enough to attract new. or at least help them maintain their current customers.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New Gig - 09/03/12 04:11 AM
Quote:

I don't think you will hear complaints about the current system of licensing venues from musicians who earn a substantial part of their living from playing live music. Most of the complaints that I read or hear about are from folks wanting to break into the business on the cheap. Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think it helps the profession to enable venues to put out product just to see if it works. Someone who wants to cut corners on license fees is also going to want to cut corners on paying the talent. That means either good talent not getting paid a living wage or bad talent that is willing to work for cut rate prices. Neither is good for working musicians or the reputaiton of live music.

I don't mean that as a slam on anyone because I'm not familiar with anyone's music on here. The way to get jobs in the live music industry is going to the venues that are licensed an convincing them you are good enough to attract new. or at least help them maintain their current customers.

Okay, ... this is original. ... I'll ponder it before I respond. I don't wanna jump the gun on this one. Especially since it was triggered off another post where a forum member was trying to raise money for abused animals on a bowling alley gig.

The question I'll have the think about the most is should John be able to sing "Proud Mary" at a bowling alley in order to raise money for abused and neglected animals? Especially with all of the "pins" falling!

That's a tough question.
© PG Music Forums