PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan What would you buy? - 08/30/12 12:20 AM
So I came into a windfall of cash, $245 – don’t ask, but it was all legit. So I want to buy a new recording mic for my home studio. Then I get home and there in my inbox is a 20% off coupon from Musicians friend if I spend over a $100 before this weekend– sweet . So I go on-site, put in “recoding mic’, “between $100 to $300” and it gives me 165 options!!

I have a SM57 which I currently use for live and recording– but looking for new sound (..is there a mic which would actually make my vocals sound better?), …forget that question.

What would you buy?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 12:24 AM
I still like my Shure SM58s. Always have, own 3 of them. Kind of how a guy owns saws but can't build with wood.....
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 12:41 AM
sm57s and 58s are good workhorse dynamic mics. If you are going to buy a new one, might as well get something different -- I would vote for a condenser mic.

I googled "best $200 condenser mic" and got these links:
http://recordinghacks.com/2011/11/28/the-best-200-condenser/
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/186884-best-condenser-mic-under-200-a.html

...and there are a bunch of other links. I have an sm58 and my cheapo MXL v63m out performs it on my vocals. Go condenser all the way!!
Posted By: silvertones Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:12 AM
This has nothing to do with mics but is a ***** I have with MF. I've complained to them but.......Anyway. That discount coupon,"some restrictions apply".Pretty much any company that has gear you'd buy has opted out of their coupon promos.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:15 AM
Something else to consider (isn't there always something else to consider!) is, what preamp are you using? Depending on what you have, improving that could make as much difference as a new mic.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:18 AM
Here what I am looking at so far. Thanks for the imput guys.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rode-microphones-nt1-a-condenser-mic-bundle
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:19 AM
Quote:

Something else to consider (isn't there always something else to consider!) is, what preamp are you using? Depending on what you have, improving that could make as much difference as a new mic.

Pre-amp? whats that? Can't I just plug into my mixer and record? Do I need to buy some kinda combo, mic and pre-amp??
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:33 AM
Nice. I have a Rode NT1, the predecessor of the NT1a. It's a fine, versatile large condenser mic. Australian company. Very rugged mic - I keep it in my travel bag as a spare on outdoor gigs. It gets banged around a lot and it always works, even though it's known more as a studio mic.

You're probably kidding about the preamp, but just in case:

If you have a mixer, you have a preamp, but some mixers have much better quality ones than others. A good stand-alone unit is often better, though. This one is the newer model of one I have that does a great job, and it's not expensive: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VTB1/ I especially like that you can dial in a tube for 'warmth'.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 01:46 AM
I have this one and I've only used it a few times but was very pleased with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-c-535-eb-stage-microphone
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 02:03 AM
Bob, I haven't seen that before, but it looks similar to the Rode S1 stage mic I use. Great markdown right now on yours. AKG makes great mics.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 02:05 AM
Quote:

Nice. I have a Rode NT1, the predecessor of the NT1a. It's a fine, versatile large condenser mic. Australian company. Very rugged mic - I keep it in my travel bag as a spare on outdoor gigs. It gets banged around a lot and it always works, even though it's known more as a studio mic.

You're probably kidding about the preamp, but just in case:

If you have a mixer, you have a preamp, but some mixers have much better quality ones than others. A good stand-alone unit is often better, though. This one is the newer model of one I have that does a great job, and it's not expensive: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VTB1/ I especially like that you can dial in a tube for 'warmth'.

honestly, I was not entirely kidding, so I do appreciate your response. I do have a mixer with 48v phantom power (Behringer Eurorack mixer MXC602), but I do like the pre-amp you linkted to.

So the Rode NT1 Bundle is at the top of my list.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 02:07 AM
Quote:

but is a ***** I have with MF. I've complained to them but.......Anyway.

John, Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with MF. Actually, they have been very good to me. I'll let you know how the coupon works.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 02:09 AM
You guys are all great . Thanks for all the input. I plan to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 02:20 AM
I think Musicians Friend is just the warehouse operation of Guitar Center, isn't it? My experience with them has also been fine.

The NT1a bundle looks good for a home studio, with the windscreen and XLR cable. That was my first 'good' studio mic and it really made a difference.

Consider adding that preamp when you get some additional funds. My experience with Behringer mixers was very poor, since mine had a LOT of amplifier hiss on the mic preamp. [I am aware others on this forum really like Behringer mixers.] But if you have an external preamp, you can bypass what I consider to be the weakness of the Behringer and just go into the LINE IN. When I did that, my Behringer mixer was saveable.

Enjoy your new mic.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 04:08 AM
Quote:

I think Musicians Friend is just the warehouse operation of Guitar Center, isn't it? My experience with them has also been fine.

MF has always been good to me too, even with returning stuff. No hassles.

I wouldn't think twice about referring anyone to them.
Posted By: critter Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 04:43 AM
NT1-A, Have one and it is quite the mic.........great choice, I also use the Shure Beta 58A, Which ever you choose, those are my picks.......Rode makes awsome stuff.
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 08:24 AM
I bought a Rode NT2a a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome .... My recordings are now clear as a bell And with the 3 setting polar response option i have eliminated all the sounds that came from the back of the mic. Makes my recordings sound really professional

Could'nt be happier ....
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 11:46 AM
Just ordered it.

As John indicated my Personal 20% off Coupon emialed from the President of Customer Services, for being a good customer, would not work on line. So I called. Well that offer appears to be limited to certain vendors - not Rode!

Ok, but there is another Labor Day sale going on with 15% off. I had tried that on line and it did not work either?

So my friend on the phone put it in manually and it worked. That plus free expedited 3-5 day shipping and no sales tax and it is on its way for just under $200.

Thanks again guys, could not have done this without you. And Matt, I do have my eyes on the pre-amp you suggested. Have to wait a bit my next windfall...
Posted By: rharv Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 10:39 PM
I've used the VTB1 quite often also and will support Matt's recommendation. Not a bad preamp at all, and the price/value is what makes it so nice. I remember $119 - $129 range.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-g...xperiences.html

I see a PGMusic member posting in that thread so it's relevant.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/30/12 10:58 PM
Quote:

Nice. This one is the newer model of one I have that does a great job, and it's not expensive: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VTB1/ I especially like that you can dial in a tube for 'warmth'.

Well my buddy at MF, said they can give me my 20% coupone on the VTB1, which knocks $30 off the price.. Oh boy need to find some more cash quick...
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 01:07 AM
Ok, you guys were a great help and you all provided the absolute correct answers to the original question, Now...

On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is the mic pre-amp?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 02:09 AM
That's tough, because a great mic can work with a fair preamp, and a great preamp can make a fair mic sound like a much better one. You need both in balance.

But, since I got you started on this, I'll vote:

Out of 10 points together, I weigh the mic 6 and the preamp 4.

Each of the better mics I use to track parts at home for other artists is roughly equal in cost to my better preamp. And the spare set I take for outdoor gigs in threatening weather is also pretty well matched.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 07:19 PM
bump, I didn't wnat to lose this thread in mid stream. Still have to make a decision before end of the weekend on this pre-amp. The $149 - $30 coupon may not sound like a lot of money, but I have to go back to the wife to explain how the new $199 Rode mic I just bought now needs more money!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 08:48 PM
I would wait until you hear how the rode NT-1 sounds with your Behringer mixer. Mic pre-amps are a big deal, but there is no sense spending money until you know if you really need it or not (especially if you are going to go over budget).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 09:31 PM
That's good advice from Kevin, since you already have what you need to make the new mic work.

When you change more than one thing at a time, you won't know what caused the change in what you hear. Get to know the new mic and learn which mic works better in different conditions.

And, you will still have something to look forward to.
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 09:59 PM
Quote:

I would wait until you hear how the rode NT-1 sounds with your Behringer mixer. Mic pre-amps are a big deal, but there is no sense spending money until you know if you really need it or not (especially if you are going to go over budget).

Spoken like a man of great wisdom. Thanks, I needed to hear that.

But did I mention I have a 20% off($30) coupon which expires on Monday... I really don't need this pressure.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 10:10 PM
There will be other coupons and sales.

or,
Quote:

Other coupons and sales, will there be. -- Yoda

Posted By: rharv Re: What would you buy? - 08/31/12 11:18 PM
My Link-Fu was weak in my previous post.
Try this;

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-g...xperiences.html

Respected PGMember Harvey Gerst has a few posts in this thread. Many articles like this around the net.
I think preamp makes a big difference on a lot of mics.
© PG Music Forums