PG Music Home
Posted By: Matti Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 12/04/12 04:54 PM
My gear: PC, Win 7, BIAB, Korg 05R/W synth box, Roland Quand-Capture USB 2.0 soundcard.

I installed my new Roland soundcard with no problem. I chose it as MIDI output and MIDI input from BIAB MIDI driver options. MIDI out from Roland goes MIDI in of Korg. Korg is responding, I can see it from the front panel and I also plugged headphones to the back of the Korg and I can hear music if I put the sound of the Korg to the highest level. So the sound is too low.

Now I don't understand how I connect the Korg output to the Roland. I used to have a souncard that had a place for two "line in" cables but Roland has only something called "Coaxial 3/4 in". Should I connect the Korg to that with only one cable (so it will be mono)?

I have monitor speakers and I used to connect them to the output of my only soundcard. Roland has also a place for output cables but how do I get the Korg sound firt into the soundcard? Or is the Korg box too old equipment for my new installation?

Matti
Posted By: Matti Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 12/04/12 05:17 PM
Some progress.

I connected the "line out" from Korg to the front panel Inout 1 and Input 2 jacks and now the audio sound goes to the Roland and I can hear the sound from the headphones that are connected to the Roland. I also found out that I can add the volume of the channels from the Control Panel of the Roland software.

But there is still no sound in the speakers.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 12/04/12 05:34 PM
I have the Octa-Capture so maybe this will also work on the Quad. Connect the Quad outputs to your speakers or if you have a mixer prior to the speakers than connect it to the mixer. On the Octa there is both input and output mixers. Be sure the output sliders (levels) are up. Also be sure that the input levels are up on both channels.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Mac Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 12/04/12 08:52 PM
Quote:

...but Roland has only something called "Coaxial 3/4 in". Should I connect the Korg to that with only one cable (so it will be mono)?

That won't work because the Coaxial Input is a DIGITAL input. That's why it has both channels on the one plug.

Just because it uses an RCA socket does not mean that any signal with an RCA plug will work through it.

See your documentation for what to do with the Coaxial digital connect, for example, you may be able to connect an audio device that has a digital SP/DIF output to it, yielding a two channel connect. Advantaqes of that are your audio stays in the digital domain, avoiding two conversions, one to analog at output and the other to digital again after the input, just to connect two devices.

The Quad Capture Qwikspec from Roland webpage states that the device has two 1/4" Line Level Inputs and that is where the L and R Line Outputs from a keyboard or synth would have to be connected to get Audio into the computer. These inputs are right in the center of the two XLR MIC jacks, combination jacks because it is either/or because this is a device that has two shared analog inputs, connecting a mic with XLR or when connecting using the 1/4" to center the circuit automatically knows to expect and deal with the Line Input when you set it for that.

--Mac
Posted By: Sonny Ray Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 03/20/13 04:54 AM
I'm having a different problem with my new Quad-Capture in Read Band. When I try to record a vocal in stereo I get only the left or right channel but not both. I find nothing on the Roland unit itself or it's control panel software that helps. Nor can I find a way in Real Band to accept the signal from the Quad-Capture in stereo. Seems like there should be a check box for mono or stereo, but I can't find one or recognize it. Any ideas?

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Processor Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.09 GHz
1 processor, 4 cores
8192 MB DDR3 SDRAM 666MHz
Geekbench score 7761

SonnyRay
Posted By: MarioD Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 03/20/13 01:29 PM
My music computer is not on so I can’t verify this in RB but this is how I do it in Sonar. I believe it can be done like this in RB also if I remember correctly.

If you are using only one mic: Plug your mic into the Quad-Capture, I will call it input 1 and turn up the volume sliders, both input and output, for input 1 on the Quad.. In RB select input 1 as the input sound source, select it as stereo then increase the record volume on that track in RB. You will get the same mono wav but on both the left and right sides.

If using two mics (or a stereo mic) plug each side of the mic into separate Quad inputs and repeat the volume process for each input. Set RB to record one track for the left mic channel and another track for the right track channel. Set the input volume on both RB channels and record. You can either have each RB track record in stereo or mono and pan each one hard left and right.

Having said that may I ask why you want to record a vocal in stereo? I always record vocals in mono then it if want to have it in stereo I clone the track and pan one track hard left and the other hard right. I will usually add some kind of effect on one of the tracks. Another way is to run the mono vocal into a stereo out effect and pan the effect left and right.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: Sonny Ray Re: Roland Quad-Capture USB 2.0 - problems - 04/02/13 05:42 PM
Hi, got this working. Thanks for your advice - I appreciate it.
SonnyRay
© PG Music Forums