PG Music Home
Posted By: MountainSide Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 04:15 PM
In another thread earlier today, I mentioned that Santa brought me a Shure SM58. In reading over the enclosed literature, I noticed that there was an SM58S....with an on - off switch? Once its connected, I would like to leave it connected...hate doing a reconfig everytime I use something. Is this switch needed?

Without it, do I understand correctly that the mic would always be on? Couldn't I just mute it on my mixer? Would it hurt to leave it on for hours...days....with it being on and just muted? Would there be any concerns about power surges when the system is started up each day with the mic active?

Would it be better to have the one that I can turn off or is the switch just something else to break later down the road?

Thanks guys,
Jeff
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 04:27 PM
Skip the switch, and just turn it down or mute when not needed. Even live a switch can create pops that are annoying in the least, and damaging at the worst.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 04:29 PM
It isn't "active" or "inactive". You are just shutting off the throughput so it doesn't re-record what is in the room when you are recording vocals. You shut the room monitors off and use headphones when you do your singing so the mic does't record the room sound behind the vocals onto the vocal tracks, right?

As far as the unplugging part, seriously, is the .7 seconds it takes to plug or unplug a mic cable going to set your productivity back a whole lot? I do unplug mine but that's because I switch between different mics for different things.

All personal preference here like so many things are. Things like this are often determined by other conditions, like how you interface to your computer. I have a mic preamp that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, so I can leave 2 mics plugged in if I choose to. I also use a patch bay and just use a patch cord to configure what goes to the M-Audio that way. But that's just what I have and not everybody has the same stuff. Some of the guys have mic preamps with 8 inputs, thus can have up to 8 mics connected at all times.

The beauty of creativity!!! Many ways to the destination.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 04:54 PM
The switch is capacitor-filtered to virtually eliminate switch "pops" but they can drive the board op totally out of his/her mind during a stage performance. Switches are known to get "switched" by curious performers either intentionally or accidentally. If you have a choice, it may be wise to apply a bead of Lok-tite(R) or hot glue to the switch in the "on" position to keep your board op reasonably sane.
Posted By: ColoradoGuy Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 04:54 PM
Jeff -

The SM58 is first and foremost a performance mic - always has been. When onstage, it's essential to be able to turn off the mic so that the audience can't hear the dialogue among the musicians between songs. I wouldn't want to be without it.

For home recording, it's a matter of preference.

Jon
Posted By: Mac Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 05:08 PM
The switch on a mic is not necessary for recording purposes.

The S model was designed for those live PA situations when it is a necessary thing for the user to be able to control if the mic is hot or not. For example, I use a switched dynamic mic at the keyboards when in a backing band situation. That way, onstage conversations do not get amplified. heh.

--Mac
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 05:08 PM
Jon,

FWIW, the audience SHOULD NEVER HEAR BANTER BETWEEN MUSICIANS! Ideally, the entire set or show should be well enough rehearsed so as not to require stage banter. It separates the professionals from the amateurs. Obviously, there are exceptions but the pros seldom chat between songs. It is an unwritten taboo.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 05:12 PM
Quote:

Side note: Check out the microphones that Chet, who obviously could afford anything he wanted, choose for this performance. Sure look like Shure SM58s to this tired ole Irishman.

(Copied from another topic).
Posted By: silvertones Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 06:01 PM
Quote:

The switch on a mic is not necessary for recording purposes.

The S model was designed for those live PA situations when it is a necessary thing for the user to be able to control if the mic is hot or not. For example, I use a switched dynamic mic at the keyboards when in a backing band situation. That way, onstage conversations do not get amplified. heh.

--Mac

I personally don't like switches BUT you haven't lived until you've been wearing a head set mic and bend down to fix an issue and yell out Mother F..... over the PA for all to hear.From experience.
Posted By: Mac Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 06:13 PM

Standard USAF band response was always: "That's what he said, lady..."

--Mac
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 07:50 PM
I had to switch from a headset for that kind of thing, John. Mine was more often like "Good lord, she is so fat... " or "Wow, look at the &^%* on THAT one!!"

The one that got me was when a rather large girl, standing right at the front of the stage, had her pager go off, and I said "Watch out. She's backing up." Soon after that I went away from the headset. Soon, like the next set....
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 08:14 PM
Quote:

The one that got me was when a rather large girl, standing right at the front of the stage, had her pager go off, and I said "Watch out. She's backing up." Soon after that I went away from the headset. Soon, like the next set....

Eddie, that's hilarious! Irish-ize it and post it on the "Humo(u)r thread, please?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 08:33 PM
Even funnier Don is that we dubbed that girl "Buffalo Butt". Now the girlfriend I had then was the artiste type, and could sew. One day I came home from a gig and there was a note telling me to look at the dining room chair. She had gone out and bought a pair of HUGE jeans and using orange thread she sewed the outline of a buffalo's head on the right rear pocket. The guys had to (figuratively) sit on me to keep me from giving those jeans to that girl.

You guys pretty much know from my posts here what a smart @ss I am. There are so many stories like that I'd need my own forum.

Playing in Erie PA one Friday night. There was a couple sitting at the first table by the speaker stack on my side. The guy was wearing the worst Hawaiian shirt I had ever seen. Part way through the night after he had some beers he started getting a little snarky with is. I looked over and said "Hey everybody. We have a heckler. Right here in front. The guy with the short. Hey pal, did you lose a bet or wasn't your mother home to dress you?" After the laughter died down he yelled up "Yeah. Funny. What do you do for your real job? I know you aren't a musician." And without missing a beat I said "You're right. Normally I'm downtown lining up guys to ^%&# your wife." The guy jumped up and started toward the stage and 2 of our people grabbed him and yelled "Oh sit down. You started it! Get these 2 a beer."

Saturday night, they were right back at that front table. In MATCHING ugly Hawaiian shirts!!! They actually went shopping to find them!! I came in, we started with "Back In The Chicken Shack" as we often did. After that sing I looked over and smiled at them and just said "Wow. Touche!" And went on to the next song.

And that's the kind of crowd rapport I LOVED!!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 09:11 PM
I have similar memories of crowd rapport. Great memories, Amico! My memory loss mutes me, unfortunately. Hang on to your memories for dear life, once gone, they are forever gone. My solution is...keep building more memories every day. You and my many forum friends are deeply etched in my consciousness. Thank you.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 09:22 PM
Thanks guys...appreciate all of your comments and the sense of humor too!
Posted By: Mac Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 09:27 PM
Those who wish to use a headset mic live onstage should investigate a device called the, "Cough Drop" -- connects between mic and input, small enough to hang on your clothing with the supplied clip, and has one rather largish and easy to grab button on it.

The mic silently mutes as long as you are holding that button down...

--Mac
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Shure sm58 and SM58s ???? - 12/25/12 09:28 PM
Where were you in 1991, Mac? Before the "Buffalo Butt" incident?
© PG Music Forums