PG Music Home
There are times when one would want to upload an audio file to YouTube. (no video)

I realize that this can be done by creating a video, that is really a slide show, and this is how youtube says to do it http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1696878

I'm wondering if someone has found an easier way than that to do it. For example, is there software that you run that lets you choose an audio file, and just type text that you want displayed for the whole song (or a single picture), and then press SEND TO YOUTUBE?
I use Animoto to add pictures and text to audio and create short videos. You can do some but not all adjustments of the timing. By choosing a background style, you can have some control over picture and text transitions. It's very easy to use and produces video that looks better that most amateur work. There are some uploading options.

www.animoto.com
I've never seen such a product, but I bet that whoever writes the program and makes it available for a 99 cent download will make a lot of money.
Dr. Peter, if you have Win 7 (actually any version of Windows), you will have MS Movie Maker (or download it free from M$). It will allow you to attach an audio file (many formats) to a digital picture. If you only want text and music, without graphics or a slideshow, you can use the Sniping Tool or Shift+PrtScn to capture the screen as a .jpg file Screenshot. With only one .jpg you can upload your audio to YT.

At Step 2 in YouTube's instructions, select ANY digital picture or the Screenshot you've created above. Now, MMM will give you the option of ending the video and audio together.
Quote:

Dr. Peter, if you have Win 7 (actually any version of Windows), you will have MS Movie Maker (or download it free from M$). It will allow you to attach an audio file (many formats) to a digital picture. If you only want text and music, without graphics or a slideshow, you can use the Sniping Tool or Shift+PrtScn to capture the document as a .jpg file. With only one .jpg you can upload your audio to YT.

Don,
the link he posted to youtube's instructions on how to post a single picture with music is pretty much what you said ... but my understanding is that he's looking for something more automated than that.
How to upload mp3 files to youtube using camtasia studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qI1Eqyyrw8

Upload a mp3 to youtube
http://www.mp32tube.com/
I use WMP visualizations with MOVAVI Screen Capture Studio. Bout 50 bucks.

Not real imaginative, but simple, good 720p HD quality and compatible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7f9fO5c-k
27 video's to select from.

Some number of these were in audio only format in showcase.

There are links for PG and Movavi there.
I realize YouTube is the most popular and viewed forum for video - it's ubiquitous, well understood, easily accessible, and cheapest (!!free!! you can even make money if you find advertisers !!! - gotta love technology, market dominance, and the ad-supported business model). On those grounds alone, I could see PG's interest in using it for sharing audio.

That said - I am ALWAYS more inclined to watch a VIDEO over an Audio-only post, regardless of forum, because I find it more engaging than audio only (unless there are no competing video equivalents, or more full-featured and user-friendly sites for audio).

My question is - feature for feature, for sharing audio files - is Youtube the best service to use ? I realize there may be other reasons for wanting to use YouTube (of which I am unaware at this time - maybe someone can offer some).

I have noticed that many PG members post their music to sites other than YouTube. For those users, firstly, do you pay a fee ? and feature for feature - do you see any benefits of posting to the site you use (please name it) vs. Youtube ?
Peter, here is a test video that I uploaded this morning using Windows Live Movie Maker which is part of Win 7. This video test took longer to upload than it did to create. Probably ten minutes total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-wcCvSme0

You can create scrolling or stationery text with the app also, along with scores of nice transitions between subsequent photos.

Caveat: I own both the tune (Created in BIAB) as well as the digital photo.
Peter do we have a winner
Just use windows movie maker but instead of inseerting movies and or jpegs use the title, caption or credits features to enter your lyric and the time it to the audio file.

Later,
Peter, pay attention! We may have a pop quiz later!
Quote:

I am ALWAYS more inclined to watch a VIDEO over an Audio-only post, regardless of forum, because I find it more engaging than audio only (unless there are no competing video equivalents, or more full-featured and user-friendly sites for audio).

Absolutely, couldn't agree more Joe.

Peter, I STRONGLY suggest that you produce nice High Def 720P videos with high bitrate audio for Biab and RB. There's so many beautiful HD vids on YT now that I won't watch a SD one unless it's something I just have to see. All of the major software companies have HD vids now but their older SD ones are still up and I will watch those if I must.

The reason I say that is because I have a 32" big screen for my studio and will occasionally take my laptop to the living room and watch stuff on my 52" big screen. Trying to watch a crappy 360 or even <gasp> a 240 video on a big screen is painful and I just won't do it. I'm at work now and just opened up the newest Biab 2013 vid from the Support page and on my 19" office monitor the Biab main window is unreadable, look at the instrument buttons in green, you can't even read those. I'm assuming at best that video is 360 and probably even 240 it's so bad. That's just unacceptable in today's market. There's been several posts lately about people using big screens for their studios and with the prices so cheap and coming down every day it seems, HD is fast becoming the only way to go.

I was about to suggest if HD is a problem then at least make the vids 480P which is standard def DVD quality but HD is so common now that if you're going to change how you do the vids might as well go all the way and make them 720P. And please realize standard def 480P DVD's have not been sold for years. Blue Ray has been out what 4 or 5 years now? That's 1080P and 1080P sets have been out for 2-3 years now. Things move fast in the high def video arena. These low def videos just make the company look old and out of touch. Seriously, if somebody opens up the 2013 video and doesn't realize it's supposed to be 2013 they're liable to simply close it and they will assume it's an antique from 2007 or something.

Old and out of touch is not cool for a cutting edge music software company.

You know me by now Peter, I'm not trying to be insulting or anything like that, this is just my usual subtle-as-a-train-wreck opinion.

Bob
>>> was about to suggest if HD is a problem then at least make the vids 480P which is standard def DVD quality

They are 480p . On our site http://demos.pgmusic.com/video/bbw/BB2013_NewFeaturesRT.mp4 and youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH4MDdmWuS0

>> And please realize standard def 480P DVD's have not been sold for years.

Last I heard (2012), DVD's were still outselling Blu-Ray 6:1 in unit sales http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415117/2012-b...nts-here-new/30

>> Old and out of touch is not cool for a cutting edge music software company.

Yes, we plan on 720p option for future videos.
Ok, we may have discovered something. On the Support page here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

When I open up the videos the player has no option to change the resolution and it definitely is not 480P but yes you're correct the YT one gives you the option to set it at 480P and when I did that the picture is much clearer plus it's wide screen. Check out the Support page links, they're not right. Perhaps its just a setting in the embedded player that can be changed at your end.

Concerning my point about 480P DVD's this gets highly technical. I misspoke when I said they're not sold. They are being sold but there is major video processing going on in DVD players to deinterlace and upconvert them to look almost as good as 720P HD. In effect they're HD while Blue Ray could be called Super HD. Your vids on YT do not get any of that processing inside a regular computer unless the person has it all set up with a high end video card and the smarts to set it up properly and I'm not sure if a YT vid can even be processed like that anyway. Bottom line a 480P YT vid is not close to being 480P DVD quality at least none of the ones I've seen on my computer system while my collection of 480P DVD's looks awesome on my 52" big screen coming from my Sony DVD player.

Quote:

Yes, we plan on 720p option for future videos.

Cool!

Bob
I'm fond of AquaSoft's free SlideShow for YouTube. Used it to make this.
Hey Tom,

That's a BRILLIANT SONG!!!!!! I loved it. You should post this link over in the User's Showcase forum.

I'm laughing my head off here. The lyrics are incredibly inventive and the music and arrangement are a perfect fit.

Regards,
Noel
Wonderful, Tom! Still chuckling, lol
Thanks Tom. Nice video.

Another approach, if the file was in RealBand or Band-in-a-Box, would be to make a video of the chords window (or lyrics window), and take a screenshot video of that (using something like jing from techsmith.com (free) , which has an upload to youtube button built in. The challenge would be to record the audio from the computer, and not from the external mic, though there may be an easy way for that. The end result wouldn't look as slick as your video (likely less audio quality too), but might take less time, since you could likely do it in 1 take (load the song, start A/V capture program framed to the chord screen, press play in RealBand or BB, and 4 minutes later, press STOP, and then upload to youtibe.
I just remembered Doug McKenzie. He's a forum member but I haven't seen any posts from him in years. He's posted a bunch of Biab vids and somewhere I saw a write up where he explains exactly how he did it, it may be hiding on his website. Here's one of his YT vids and also his main website. I'm sure he would respond to you Peter if you were to contact him directly because he loves Biab and refers to it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfSutEz87Jk

http://www.bushgrafts.com/jazz/home.htm

To anybody else, you have to check him out if you like jazz piano. He's a very good player and loves to teach.

Bob
Thanks, you guys. Wasn't made with BIAB -- actually, just a few judiciously chosen guitar loops -- but I'm fond of it, and it's brought me some small notoriety.

Peter -- actually, yeah, recording the internal audio on a Windows machine is stupid easy. Just have to set your Sounds (in the Control Panel) to use whatever's going to your speakers as your recording source, and then make sure you don't do anything that'll set off a system sound or open a browser window with an ad or video or somethin', and hit Record in Audacity or whatever. (I don't think the internal Sound Recorder has enough capacity for a song, to this day.)
hey Tom,

I followed the link to more of your videos and was somewhat surprised to see that you really do look like your avatar... (but I was disappointed that the ears and bear nose aren't real. Bummer. )

I really like what you are doing... presenting music and humor in the same package. To my way of thinking, that is a high calling. Your playful attitude and enjoyment of life spill over very generously into your performances, and the result is a happy audience

I bet when people leave your shows they are in a better mood than when they arrived. Mental health professionals charge a lot more than you do, and their results are probably not as good

When I grow up, I want to be you.
Hey, Pat! Yeah, that picture of me is based off one of my publicity photos. It's by Bill Holbrook, creator of the wonderful online strip Kevin & Kell. Sorry about the nose.

And, thanks very much for all the kind words. Yeah, it's always been about Teh Fonni. I listened to a lot of comedy when I was growing up, and as much as I love -- and sometimes write -- serious songs, there ain't nothin' better than getting an entire audience in hysterics from several well-placed lousy puns. And, yeah, I really like ending the show on an "up" note -- usually the last four or five songs deliberately escalate matters until I get to "I Had A Shoggoth", then "307 Ale", and ending with "Rocket Ride" (all of which are on YouTube somewhere or 'tother).

Unfortunately, you can't be me when you grow up -- my ladyfriend would complain.
Tom,

I have said this before so please excuse me if I am boring you, but you are one hellava funny and talented guy. I am not at all surprised by the number of hits your work has gotten on Youtube.

I too would love to have you post some of your stuff here on the forum.

PS: I think I have also called you a "sick puppy" from time to time, but in a loving way of course.

Great work my friend!

Later,
Thanks, Danny. I'm thinkin' that, later this week, I might put up some links to stuff specifically created with BIAB....
© PG Music Forums