PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul Haynes Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 02:18 PM
Hello,

I currently have a Beyerdynamic TGX80 mic and it's a really good live dynamic mic. I've recorded 10 songs with it now and I'm on the look out for a mic upgrade for recording. My short list is are both Rode Mics - only because I've read good things about them but there are always those who prefer others. So here's my short list so far

Rode K2
Rode NT2a

I don't have money to waste and I'm primarily looking for a good vocal mic with the ability to record my guitars acoustically rather than plugged in and try to record tambourine (My dynamic mic didnt do a good job of that).

I'd be interested in what you have to say on this.

Thanks
Paul
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 02:20 PM
bought an AT 2020 a couple years back and really like the warmth and clarity of it for recording vocals and guitar.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 02:40 PM
I am the very happy owner of the Rode NT1-A. Clear and Quite is how I would characterize it. I paired it with a Studio Projects VTB1 pre amp. Each time I used it I have been pleased with the results. Often see a good sale price on this combo.

So far have used it only for vocals, but I do note that I can record at various distances from the mic and still get great pickup and tone, unlike my prior SM57 where I generally was always kissing the mic for vocal tone.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 02:54 PM
+1 on the NT1-A. With the money you would save you could get a decent preamp, like the VTB-1 or a Focusrite Saffire.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 03:04 PM
Quote:

+1 on the NT1-A. With the money you would save you could get a decent preamp, like the VTB-1 or a Focusrite Saffire.

I currently have a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL. Is this a good preamp?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 03:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I currently have a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL. Is this a good preamp?

As good as any in it's price range. With a decent condenser, you will be pleased.
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 03:30 PM
I have the NT2-A and its GREAT

(just make sure it points TO you ...., will not repeat THAT story..)
Posted By: ROG Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 04:29 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Rode, but like Robh I'm also a fan of the AT 2020.

ROG.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 07:33 PM
All I know is that unless you have the right acoustically treated or a room that doesn't have too much sound reflection a condenser mic can be a nightmare picking up sounds that you just don't want.

I bought a nice AKG 320 from amazon uk, cost just over £70 if I remember last year, lovely mic, but had to send it back because of all the unwanted noise it was picking up.

Back to my Shure c606 their cheapest dynamic mics cost less than £30.

People say to hang duvets in front and behind the condenser, if you don't have a good room and want to do it on the cheap.

Musiclover
Posted By: bupper Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 07:56 PM
if you find a AKG C2000 hanging around, BUY IT. They are no longer made but some shops still stock them, them are built like tanks & are wonderful sounding things, whats more nowadays they go for around 150€
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 08:55 PM
I still favor the Shure SM-57. They are virtually indestructible.

Since this question comes up frequently, I will repeat one caveat...the SM-57 is possibly the most counterfeited microphone ever. YouTube has many videos on identifying fakes. You should be safe in buying from an authorized and reputable Shure dealer. The fakes are nearly impossible to detect to an untrained eye.

The SM-57 sells for US$80 to 100, anything under that should cause suspicion.

"Have fun!"

- Dr. Peter Gannon
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 09:18 PM
Quote:

if you find a AKG C2000 hanging around, BUY IT. They are no longer made but some shops still stock them, them are built like tanks & are wonderful sounding things, whats more nowadays they go for around 150€

They're still making them, and they are available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=216393&Q=&is=REG&A=details
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/24/13 10:49 PM
I have two dynamics that I like, Shure SM58 and Behringer XM8500. I know everyone goes on and on about how great the Shure is and I have no reason to doubt that, when comparing these two mics I noticed the following,

- both sound and work great
- the Behringer seems a little hotter
- the Shure cost me $100 while the Behringer cost me $22

I have only had these about a year but both seem to be holding up just fine. If I needed more dynamics it would be an easy choice for me to choose the Behringer because it is over 4 times less costly.

For condenser I have a Zoom h4N field recorder that has two very nice condenser mics built in. So I cannot see me needing another condenser any time soon. But I can attest to what others say about picking up background noise in the room. One of my favorite recordings has crickets that I never planned for and somehow missed during mixing!
Posted By: bupper Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 09:07 AM
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=216393&Q=&is=REG&A=details

akg c2000 discontinued
its a shame & yes you can still find them but no longer being made. One of the best mics around & very cheap for the quality
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 10:18 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

akg c2000 discontinued
its a shame & yes you can still find them but no longer being made. One of the best mics around & very cheap for the quality

I stand corrected.

p.s.- I still have my C3000B, which I never use. It's fine on acoustic guitar and amp micing, but it's too brittle for vocals, IMO. Short of the studio standard C 414 XLS, I'm not a big fan of AKG mics. Too many other choices out there these days.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 12:43 PM
Sennheiser 421MD - it's outlasted 3 of my partner's SM58 and AT mics, has no proximity effect at all, can take volume levels up to 100db without distorting, accurately reproduces the tone of the saxophone (something the SM58s do not do), has a 5 position filter to roll off the bass frequencies if desired, is in the Technology Hall Of Fame, and most people consider it to be the second best dynamic mic made (second only to the 441U which sells for about $900US).

After Leilani went through 3 mics, she switched to a 421MD like mine, and we've never looked back.

In the recording studio I've seen the 421 used for drums (they are rugged enough to be slapped with a drumstick), saxes, trumpets, trombones, and guitar amps.

For live performance, it simply can't be beat, and it doubles as a very good studio dynamic mic.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 01:30 PM
Please describe what was wrong recording the tambourine with your existing mic, and what is wrong with recording your acoustics with your existing mics. This could very well be that you don't have a good preamp that can amplify your existing mics without noise.

As you can see, you will get a large variance of replies on this very basic question. The truth is, none of the answers are necessarily wrong, but without more information, you will continue to get a bevy of answers.

-Scott
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 04:00 PM
I have an AKG 414 and an AT 4050.
Still it's hard to beat a Shure 58 for everyday use.
WSS
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 06:00 PM
Quote:

I have an AKG 414 and an AT 4050.
Still it's hard to beat a Shure 58 for everyday use.
WSS

+1. A 58 through a good preamp is a killer combination - especially for Rock vocals.

I still want a U87 though.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 07:53 PM
Quote:

All I know is that unless you have the right acoustically treated or a room that doesn't have too much sound reflection a condenser mic can be a nightmare picking up sounds that you just don't want.

My office is not accoustically treated either. I was hoping this would help...

SE Electronics >>
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 08:26 PM
Quote:

Please describe what was wrong recording the tambourine with your existing mic, and what is wrong with recording your acoustics with your existing mics. This could very well be that you don't have a good preamp that can amplify your existing mics without noise.

When I recorded tambourine it wasnt good picking up the jingles (the loose jungles before you hit the tambourine on or off the beat). I've not had any noise issues though. The volume seemed to drop real quick when the tambourine wasnt infront of the mic. My preamp is a Presonus AudioBox 22vsl. Perhaps I should have used a compressor on it?

Not thought about recording my acoustics with this mic before?
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/25/13 10:17 PM
The audiobox 22vsl is a USB powered device, correct? I'm thinking that it's quite possible it does not have sufficient gain before noise is apparent, not room noise, but self-noise of the mic/preamp combination.

As for the reflexion filter - you shouldn't need that with the existing Beyer Dynamic mic. Use the biggest room in your house/flat, that has the fluffiest furniture and carpet - you won't pick up room noise with the Beyer Dynamic recording that way.

Where you will start to need some type of acoustic treatment, is if you buy a condenser mic that has a broader polar pattern and you are in a room that has lots of reflecting surfaces (hard floors, little furniture present, no curtains, etc.)

Before buying the reflextion, does the room you record in have a clothes closet or wardrobe? If so, stuff it with clothing and put the condenser mic in front of that when you record - it will do a much better job than the reflexion filter. At least give it a go first.

Rode is a great brand with a forward looking development view. Hard to go wrong with their products, although you can probably get similar performance with any of the other condenser mics mentioned in this thread, for less financial outlay.

The issue with the tambourine jingle is likely related to the Beyer Dynamic's hypercardioid pattern - might get the pop from the head, but it's going to reject the jingling, because they are off-axis from the mic. It might be a great microphone for acoustic guitars, however - in an untreated room.

Here's what I would do if I were you - I don't know where you are in the UK, but I would call Dolphin and ask if you can order a couple different mics; those in your list, and then some of the cheaper ones like those from sE or MXL, and ask if they will let you try several and take back in the models you choose not to keep. Or perhaps they have some that have come back in from other folks that they are willing to let out for a small price for this purpose.

I think you'll find very little difference between most of the models in the price range of the Rode and on down, similarly featured (same sized capsules for example). None of the recommendations have been necessarily wrong, other than some of the cardioid dynamics would still give you fits with the tambourine sound - the SM 58 and the Sennheiser MD421 (both mics I love for vocals, MD 421 I used to use as a tom and snare mic)

I would instead look for features that I consider to be more important like a high pass filter and pad switch on the mic. In my book, those are more important than the brand. Even the lowly Samson mics on the Dolphin link I provided above will sound very nice paired with a fairly quiet pre-amp. The Samson C03 would be one I would include in the short list and it's less than 100 quid. Multi-pattern, high pass filter switch, and 10 dB pad - boom, that would be on my short list. HIGHLY likely the capsule is made at the same factory as more expensive mics from more respected brands. The Samson SM58 knock-off I have is a great microphone.

You WILL want to high pass filter nearly everything that you record with whatever condenser mic you choose, and having it on the microphone takes away a bunch of low frequency rumble that will find it's way into your recordings without it. Having an on-board pad switch will also increase the mic's versatility immensely for whisper quiet vocals, to overhead microphone use. The NT2-A has all of those features, actually a 2 position HP filter (40 or 80 Hz cutoff), multi-pattern, and a multi-level pad (5 or 10 dB). However, it's probably overkill for the home office recording situation. Save yourself a couple hundred quid and get a nice pre-amp paired with a less expensive multi-pattern condenser.

I suggest high-pass filtering on the mic because you did not mention a mixer - good for you. No need for a mixer with low channel counts, as it is a noise source in and of itself. Most decent mixers will provide a high pass switch on the channel strip, but if you have it right at the mic, you can plug in directly to the interface and record to your heart's desire. However anytime you are routing signal through analog gear, you will increase the overall noise floor of the signal chain. It's unavoidable. Using less gear in the signal chain normally means a cleaner recorded signal.

Back to recording your acoustics with the TG x 80 mic - you will have to remain pretty still as you record, otherwise, you'll get quite a bit of volume inconsistency throughout the recording, the closer you get to the microphone as a nominal distance.

But it probably is a great mic for recording that in an untreated room.

-Scott
Posted By: John Conley Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/26/13 03:56 PM
I have an Audix mic that is matched to the Bose L1 I bought. It's getting dusty. I need to get back to music. My Mother had 2 serious operations and we have to put her in a nursing home. While that was happening my Dad had a minor stroke, and in a week he got back the use of his right arm and it quit jerking about. I have to get hime twice a day to drive to the hospital, they doctor told him 6 weeks and no further problems and he can go back to driving. He's 85 and wants his car back very much. Oh well....
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 03/26/13 05:51 PM
You have been missed CCCC! I'll hafta take more careful aim, I guess. Seriously, your caustic wit is always welcome and obviously missing of late. Is there anything I can do for you or Dad?
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/01/13 07:29 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback and advise,

rockstar_not; I mentioned the acoustic filter for use with a condensor mic and not for my dynamic mic. My room is untreated so a filter would be a must. Anyway, all this talk about treating the room is giving me doubts about getting a condensor mic now in part because my PC (on the floor) gives a steady hum.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/01/13 07:38 PM
Quote:

rockstar_not; I mentioned the acoustic filter for use with a condensor mic and not for my dynamic mic. My room is untreated so a filter would be a must. Anyway, all this talk about treating the room is giving me doubts about getting a condensor mic now in part because my PC (on the floor) gives a steady hum.

Sheesh!

All of this "treated room" stuff is ridiculous. Sells a lot of Aurelex, though.

Get a decent condenser and a pop filter, learn how to use a gate, keep your preamp signal moderate and get up close to the mic when you sing. Unless they're digging up the road outside your window with a jackhammer, you should be fine.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/01/13 10:06 PM
Quote:

The room doesn't have to be treated, but if it's all hard surfaces, you WILL get early reflections into a typical condenser mic if you sing/play medium to loud, that can sound quite nasty - a gate has nothing to do with it because it will be in your sound that is above the gate threshold.

What I suggested to save you some money is to use a clothing closet or wardrobe, that has enough clothing in it that when you stick your head near the opening, or into the opening, you can hear the room levels simply fade away as you speak into it. Start 2m out into the room, simply talking in a normal voice and get closer and closer to the closet/wardrobe opening. It should get very 'dead' sounding as you approach. Any typical clothes closet somewhat stuffed with clothes will work way better than the reflexion filter.

I think I'm going to record a demo of this, because it works so well. I'll hold a condenser mic at a fixed distance away from me while reciting some poetry or something, then continue to recite and approach my 'booth' which is a clothes closet with a GOBO in front of it that has some wedge foam on the back side, angled toward the opening of the closet.

-Scott
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/01/13 11:01 PM
"...above the gate threshold..."

What 'threshold'? (The threshold is infinitely adjustable). A properly set gate will eliminate 95% of any dreaded "early reflections".

Here's what you do:

Go into the closet, cover yourself with a heavy quilt, and stand on one leg, holding the mic just above your head (under the quilt, of course).

That will give you that "Pro Studio" sound.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 02:29 AM
90 dB, sent you a PM.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 04:01 AM
OK, I made a demo tonight to demonstrate that even with a noise gate in place, the room effect on any mic that has a pretty broad polar pattern can affect the quality of the recording - in this case it's a CAD M-177 LDC. It's a single pattern version of this mic: http://www.cadaudio.com/M179.php Quite typical Chinese made capsule, assembled in USA.

Here is the link to the .mp3 file http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/misc/demo...20place.mp3.mp3
It's a few minutes long, just me narrating what the recording environment is; first sitting in front of my DAW - about 24" from the computer screen, getting up and then speaking in my 'booth' which is an open clothing closet, with a GOBO that is adjacent to the open sliding door of the clothes closet, with 4" deep wedge material on it - which I garbage picked over a few months, then walking out into the hallway outside the 'studio' then into the bathroom across the hallway.

All the while there is a noise gate on the mic signal, which shunts very low level sound, but passes all sound above the trigger level. I have also high-passed the signal at about 150 Hz, which is sort of where I like to HP filter my vocals, to keep them from being 'tubby'.

Note that when I'm in the home made 'booth' the high and mid frequency reflections are basically eliminated. This is not a treated room, but I have taken precautions to try to eliminate reflective surfaces in the vicinity of the mic - which is all that the reflexion filter which costs quite a pretty penny, is doing.

It's easily accomplished with clothing and some elbow grease, and just eliminates one more hassle in the recorded signal. I can sing quiet, and loud in this 'booth' and not have significant interaction with the reflective surfaces in the room.

Not trying to sell Auralex or Primacoustic or any other supplier's foam here. In fact the opposite.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 09:11 AM
Thank you, the changes in sound quality are impressive.

Now I've a question that Dr. Google and Dr. Wikipedia couldn't answer: What is a GOBO in your setting? (I only found GOBOs with lighting equipment.)

Guido
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 11:29 AM
Quote:

90 dB, sent you a PM.

From your PM:

“90 dB, I wanted to explain how a noise gate works in the thread - but I will explain it first here to you to give you a chance to do what you would like for your comment

I appreciate the lesson on the use of a noise gate, professor. It's always amusing to receive such condescending advice from an “Expert”. I've only been using them for forty-odd years, so it's nice to finally have them explained to me.

“a gate has nothing to do with it because it will be in your sound that is above the gate threshold.”

You might try using those “settings” on the NG; “Attack”, “Hold”, “Release”, “Lookahead”, etc. You might find that when properly set, one can eliminate most extraneous sound from entering the mic, even the dreaded “early reflections”.

p.s.

I quoted your PM here so that others might appreciate the astounding scope of your arrogance. By the way, have you purchased BIAB yet?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 01:22 PM
Well, it was meant to be a PM. I also asked if there was something that I was missing from your inference that a noise gate can manage reflections. Dynamics settings for the gate can be tweaked, but for this type of a signal - my experience (though not 40 years, perhaps 30 if I count a guitar pedal type gate - but that really isn't the same type of signal situation as mic'ed signals) is that this ability to hide reflections has to do with the direct signal to reflection level - like the guitar amp mic'ing that I mentioned in the PM, where the direct signal is fairly overwhelming compared to the reflections.

You now have the source signal. If you can make the different acoustic influences go away with noise gate dynamics settings - then it should be able to be done on this signal - where the direct sound isn't terribly loud compared to the reflected sound at the mic. The signal demonstrates 3 or 4 different qualities based on the local acoustics near the mic - reflections off of various surfaces (computer monitor, foam wedges, light-weight bedroom door, semi-tiled bathroom).

To answer the question about BIAB - no I haven't purchased it yet - I didn't see where that has anything to do with the question about what mic to use nor the ensuing discussion on whether or not to buy a reflexion filter.

I am getting closer to BIAB purchase, for whatever that's worth - and since you asked. I've had my first go with auto-accompaniment software and the experience was generally good and has me thinking about it.

Back to this thread topic. Perhaps we are still talking about two different things? - I'm talking about the early reflections that change the timbre of the recorded signal like what is evident in the demo recording. I think that trying to use dynamics settings in a noise gate will affect the timbre of the recorded signal in a negative way, with some pumping becoming evident - but I would like to hear the result also - maybe you are talking about something different than what I demonstrated in the recording.

For GHincH:

GOBO, at least as far as I know, is a moveable physical screen meant normally to isolate acoustics between various players in a recording space. I think it's a modified abbreviation of 'go between', but I'm not entirely sure about that.

I started a different thread about acoustic treatment where I've got photos of the one that I built, the business side with the foam, and then the other side that is decorated with a colorful throw rug. I didn't build it for isolation between different sources, but basically to give myself basically a way to get manage the reflections off of the hard walls in my 'studio'.

-Scott
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 02:03 PM
"...I think that trying to use dynamics settings in a noise gate will affect the timbre of the recorded signal in a negative way, with some pumping becoming evident ..."

Actually, no. Not if it's set correctly.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 02:11 PM
I've used a Blue USB mic for most of our recordings that have been posted here -- mainly out of convenience. Last week I bought a XLR interface that provides phantom power and has a USB out...so now I'm back to the Rhodes NT1 that I used in my predigital days. I just did some recording with it (redid the vocal on A Small Suitcase (posted in user showcase) and I'm very pleased with it. From our perspective it has a very warm sound with just the right hint of airiness.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 02:16 PM
@Bob,

As much as I don't like to admit it, you were right that the snippet you took from my PM was arrogant.

I'm sorry.

-Scott
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 02:45 PM
Quote:

@Bob,

As much as I don't like to admit it, you were right that the snippet you took from my PM was arrogant.

I'm sorry.

-Scott

No problem Scott. I suffer from arrogance myself.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/02/13 03:37 PM
Citaat:

Sheesh!

All of this "treated room" stuff is ridiculous. Sells a lot of Aurelex, though.

Get a decent condenser and a pop filter, learn how to use a gate, keep your preamp signal moderate and get up close to the mic when you sing. Unless they're digging up the road outside your window with a jackhammer, you should be fine.

Hahahaha! Right on target!
It also doesn't matter what microphone you use: you can get any sound you like using an equaliser. You might even want to try a MyFirstSony radio for nearfield monitors. Should be just the same as real monitors.

Popquiz: what is closest to the truth:

A: I can fix it in the mix
B: crap in equals crap out

Improvement of your room acoustics can be done using inexpensive methods, just like Rockstar-not already wrote. You can also improve the acoustics by using DIY basstraps a. Cornertraps.

As for mics: In the ideal world we have a whole range of mics to choose from for every type of recording. Budget takes you to the real world however. The Rode NT2a is a very versatile microphone (as are other brands and models in that pricerange) and absolutely a good buy that you won't regret. Use a heavy micstand to prevent a dive to the ground.
Posted By: rharv Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/03/13 12:08 AM
Wow, did this thread go down a weird path.

Far as I understand it once a signal gets past a gate it is live, right? So while the singer is singing 'I looooooove yoooo' (and the gate is open for that period of time) all early reflections are being passed on for that duration along with the dry signal, unless your gate is smarter than mine. Thus the room affects the recording.

Yes you can control a lot of it, but maybe you should experiment a little. Put the mic in a hallway, or a closet, or stairwell. Put the mic right close to the source and move it back a bit. Compare and adjust.

I have discovered that for lead vocals, I know of one hallway that offers all kinds of choices. Lots of early reflections or very little (depending on mic placement/direction and doors opened or closed). One singer needs the bathroom door open, but another sounds better with it closed.
/I just gotta hope nobody goes in there during a take.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Which Mic Do You Prefer? - 04/03/13 07:01 PM
@mootsman "I've used a Blue USB mic for most of our recordings that have been posted here"

Which Blue? Which songs did you use the Blue on? And how is it for vocals? Been thinking of getting one. USB mics have a bad rep from what I've read on the Internet forums and reviews. Any input is appreciated.
© PG Music Forums