PG Music Home
From one use to the next the mouse and keyboard stopped working. Multiple reboots haven't helped. System specs below. Mouse is MS wireless with fresh batteries, keyboard is MS Natural 4000 ergo, essentially brand new. Lemme know what more information is needed.

Thanks,

R.
Before you take your Daw to the shop can you borrow another keyboard and mouse to see if the problem is with them or your computer? The reason I say this is that my wife’s mouse and keyboard would periodically stop working but when I put mine on her system everything was fine. Both the mouse and keyboard went bad at the same time. Weird but true!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

i've found the instructions under Remove and reinstall all USB controllers

helpful when i'm having usb connection issues

i first remove all usb devices except the keyboard & mouse

i remove all but the mother board, in my case intel, ports

of course with a mouse and keyboard once you remove the port that they're connected to they won't work but removing the usb cable and reinserting it brings it back

i then reconnect the other devices i'm currently using and reboot
Dongel's gone bad?
Quote:

Dongel's gone bad?

Possible but unlikely. Keyboard is hardwired.
Try opening the case with power disconnected, locate the power plugs from psu to motherboard, disconnect and reseat them.

--Mac
There's been a lot of weird $#!+ going on around here, so it has taken me a while to revisit this. I haven't opened up the case, but I did try using different USB ports. Seems that the dedicated mouse and keyboard ports have both gone bad, or lost power, or something. Buying a hub would be cheaper than putting it in the shop, but I'd still like the thing to work like it's supposed to. What could make two ports on the mainboard fail while others continue to work?
If they are on the front of the computer case there is most likely a wire running from them to a plugin on the motherboard. Check that and see if it worked loose.

Edit: I just realized from your description that they are probably the ones in back that are hard wired.
If the USB ports are in the front of the puter, do what I said above about going inside and reseating connects.

If the USB ports are in the back, which typically means that they are soldered directly to the mobo, you likely have other problems. But you should still go inside and try reseating all the power connectors that go to the motherboard before calling it a nogo.

**Check the System Hardware applet in Control Panel, look at the USB stuff in the list, check for no exclamation points there, try updating the drivers for the USB to replace a possibly corrupted driver. Reboot the machine and check operation.

--Mac
I had a similar thing happen with a wireless mouse and it turned out to be the usb dongle. I relaced it with a wired mouse and all was ok.
© PG Music Forums