PG Music Home
Posted By: Danny C. Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 12:06 AM
Arrrrrrg still getting kicked off of forum after signing in, even after reply or new post. Hit enter post posted but have to close browser, re-login and give it another try. Heck sometimes I even have to re-boot. Did not have these issues with old format.

OK, now I feel a lot better.

Later,
Posted By: dcuny Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 12:39 AM
I can't seem to sign onto the forum in IE. No errors, it just takes the information, but shows that I'm still not logged in.

It works fine in Firefox, which is the browser I use normally. I assume it's some setting on the browser, because other people don't seem to have the same issue.
Posted By: rharv Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 01:14 AM
.. or a setting in IE on that system.

Do you see the broken paper at the top by the end of the URL bar?

If you hit F12, what version and document mode is it operating in?

Last couple versions of IE have been 'quirky' to say the least.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
.. or a setting in IE on that system.

Do you see the broken paper at the top by the end of the URL bar?

If you hit F12, what version and document mode is it operating in?

Last couple versions of IE have been 'quirky' to say the least.

Rharv,

I don't see any "broken paper" but may not be sure what I am looking for. If you hit F12, what version and document mode is it operating in?

I hit F12 and read "DOM Explorer" with a lot of html code written under it and have no idea what that means.

Thanks,
Posted By: Mac Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 02:52 AM
Danny, What it means is, "Download Firefox and use it instead!"

Don't be scared, near-zero learning curve.

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Mac
Danny, What it means is, "Download Firefox and use it instead!"

Don't be scared, near-zero learning curve.

--Mac

Done! Ain't no Firefox gonna scare me man!

Thanks,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 04:45 AM
^ Really scared of lil foxy.
Posted By: critter Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 05:22 AM
I never noticed the broken page in tool bar until now, so when did this little monster pop up. I have noticed even my yahoo page loads slow and other sites as well and now I see the broken page thing. I am running internet explorer 10, any fixes??
Posted By: silvertones Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/12/13 01:32 PM
Originally Posted By: critter
I never noticed the broken page in tool bar until now, so when did this little monster pop up. I have noticed even my yahoo page loads slow and other sites as well and now I see the broken page thing. I am running internet explorer 10, any fixes??

Firefox
Posted By: rharv Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 12:34 AM
We call it Internet Exploder.

Websites in development will work with every other browser just fine, then you test it in IE <winces>

Broken paper means its running in compatibility mode. It had trouble with the page, or a previous one, and went into 'limp mode' where it tries to revert back to a more basic behavior.

F12 should reveal the Browser Mode and Document Mode settings (in a bar at the top of the area it occupies, often near center of screen horizontally), and let you adjust them forward/back. Set IE 10 to IE 9 for as an experiment when signing in.
Many sites are having issues with IE 10. I can point you to an instructional certification site that asked me today to post a notice on the site about not using IE 10, use any other browser or version of IE, but IE 10 doesn't work. IE9 and IE11 do, not IE 10. I can also show you a site that worked with IE10 but needs help for IE 11. They just keep tinkering with it. One day it'll work like the others.

Attached picture IE.jpg
Posted By: Mac Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 01:38 AM
Set Mode to IE1826374mm, then, while licking elbow with tongue, press ctrl-alt-tab-shift-esc keys and, while holding all down simultaneously, press the FireFox key.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 01:51 AM
I'm using IE 11 and I've never had an issue. Also never had a problem with logon in any previous incarnation of IE.

I stay logged in so I've never had to log back in since logging in with IE 9 a couple of years ago when I got the computer.

Go figure. My conclusion is that it ain't the browser causing the problem.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 01:27 PM
I have been using IE8 for years with no problems so I agree with Bob. It ain’t the browser causing the problem.
Posted By: Mac Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It ain’t the browser causing the problem.

Ain't the browser, its all the dang fool internal settings in the browser that, if they don't happen to be set just right for a particular setup, are so doggoned all over the place, too many possibilities, published support from microsoft that purports to solve a particular viewing problem but don't, etc, etc.

A coupla months ago I helped out a bidnessman who was concerned about his online sales falling off, while his phone orders were getting out of hand for a two-person company.

Turned out that IE viewers of certain releases and certain settings simply could not see the "Buy Now" buttons. On his machines, using IE, they could be seen. argh.

But hey, if it works, don't fix it.

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/13/13 06:35 PM
Re: da browser all I can say is that for the past few days (since Firefox) I have not been kicked/logged out without having to reboot to log back in. The Name of the Place is "I like it like that".

Later,
Posted By: rharv Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/14/13 01:44 AM
"Turned out that IE viewers of certain releases and certain settings simply could not see the "Buy Now" buttons. On his machines, using IE, they could be seen. argh."

Had to fix a website recently that IE 10 (only) would let you see the button but clicking it did nothing.

Tonight I'm dealing with an issue of various users in a large corporation that are using IE 9 and 10. *Some* of them can't see a module in an intranet we designed for them. Firefox and Chrome work fine, as does IE 8 and 11. Only 'some' users that are using IE 9 and 10 have the problem. Some other users with 9 and 10 are fine. At least they narrowed it down that far for us.

Now I'm asking for a specific machine I can see it on. In our testing you gotta have some really whacked settings before the content filter they use starts blocking requests .. I see all kinds of weird stuff.
Posted By: Mac Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/14/13 05:10 AM
IE is also becoming a defacto excuse for lazy or deceptive online college and university students, too.

The modern equivalent of "the dog ate my homework"...

The hard part is weeding out the honest ones who truly don't see the full assignment or the video tutorial or whatever due to their IE version or settings from the scammers.

Well, its not that hard if you've had the student long enough to establish certain trends, eh?

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/14/13 04:46 PM
The sad part is I know there are online programs that only work in IE .. go figger.
Posted By: Mac Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/14/13 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
The sad part is I know there are online programs that only work in IE .. go figger.

Well, I've found that to be true for certain of those now ubiquitous consumer security camera setups.

How they can get them to work with all sorts of cellphones, but can only get them to work with IE when its a puter is a puzzlement.

What really irks is that these folks I do consults for will impulse buy the stuff without consulting first, then call for the wizard to solve their own self-induced problem. If called, I would, of course, research the situation out for them. Each newly introduced toy, though, it is the same situation, rinse and repeat.

"If they give you trouble, charge them double." My late Uncle Ernie, who owned the TV shop, used to tell us that. But he didn't live in these times. Charge 'em double today and you'll never charge 'em again. Really, we never charged 'em double even back then, but Uncle Ernie would always say that anyway. I think it made him feel better.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Kicked Out of Forum After Sign in - 12/15/13 12:15 AM
"Charge 'em double today and you'll never charge 'em again."

I think that was figured into the equation. You don't want people like that coming back, so charge 'em double the first time to make it worth your while.

"If they give you trouble, charge them double."
© PG Music Forums