PG Music Home
Just follow the simple directions and see how you score.

http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/
Surprised myself because with many years on and around the flight lines, years of shooting and a few early years thinking the way to play guitar was with a wall o' amps - I now have consistent, and insanely insidious, tinnitus in both ears. (PLUS I had to do twice - I clicked away by accident before score came up in IE first go around).

However, not claiming it's anything better than about "average" in this crowd!

Attached picture tin ear.jpg
63.9% here. 23 right out of 36.

I'm not sure I would improve if I took the test again. Many of the examples use intervals that were unexpected to me - that is, not very 'musical'. I also find myself being picky about the crummy MIDI playback that was used!

Maybe I'll try it again and try to take off the picky-hat.
80.6 %

Not bad, some of them were very hard to differentiate. I'm happy with that.

Andrew
Listened again this time, trying to ignore the weird sounding instruments. 69.3%

I think there's a bit of an issue with the next test beginning immediately following the previous after you hit a button. There should be a pause. Particularly since there are some tests which use the same instrument in successive tests. It becomes hard to discern if the previous test is or is not part of the overall sequence of notes.
Quote:

The test is purposefully made very hard, so excellent musicians rarely score above 80% correct.

That's for the text on the page.

I would add that the fellow who put it together is admittedly an "electronic music" aficionado, and his provided sample patches are stuck on only those kinds of sounds. In other words, many musicians might just achieve higher scores with the same note patterns played on instruments that they might have more familiarity with, horns, pianos, etc. As it is, there are a lot of harmonics involved with his chosen samples that are reminiscent to me of the greater difficulty involved when first attempting to transcribe Hammond Organ Jazz, where added partials and harmonics serve to disguise tonic centers at times. Anybody who ever "enjoyed" puttin' the needle back again and again on a Jimmy Smith recording knows what I mean here. *grin*

Quote:

I am a resident in Radiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Before I started medical school, I had a career as a musician, composing several electronic music albums under my own name.

So don't take your results to heart, this "game" is worth what you paid for it.

Someone wishing to develop their musical ear should work on taking musical dictation, starting with the simple one-line short melodies and the key given, and work up from there.
Sofaggio - the old Do-Re-Mi, sight singing simple lines is still the quickest way I know to get there. Instrumentalists should learn to SING and/or whistle that which they play, not just expect the instrument to make the noise for them. Once you can sing it, you OWN it. Rinse, Repeat.

--Mac
Hit a big 55.1

Since listening to Metheny three decades ago, buy "his" Roland GR-303 Midi Guitar C(look-a- like)...subsequently locked into the synth scene,
where over the years I've bought and blasted away on various sounds...soft and hard...these 80-year-old ears have suffered from percussions from music and concussions for playing halfback!
Four wives bellowing out like Wilderbeast didn't help me arrive here to talk about it.
What did you just say???
Listening to alot of this music in the early 50's didn't help, much I guess...but I still enjoyed the heck out of it!! Thanks Jimmy et al!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Jimmy Smith cushioning Lee's solo is as mellow and creamy as sex in the early morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJjOg103ks
78.8% not bad
Every time I take one of those tests they tell me to take up a different hobby. I'll pass on it for now!
Einstein flunked Algebra.
Originally Posted By: Mac
Einstein flunked Algebra.

So did I and music & history LOL
86.1 That was fun but I think I could do better if my mind wouldn't wander.
I'm really astonished.

I gave it a second try and got only 91.7.
So I think you need a little bit of luck, too

Guenter
Hi, Mac !

88,9 % correct, but I must admit
I guessed at certain times of the test !
A new test could find me better or worse
than this figure shows !:))

After my Cerebral Haemorrhage I asked
the psychologist who had me take
a test ( to show what areas of the
brain/ memory had taken damage) how she
possibly could know if I had had a lousy
memory before the accident or not, she
dryly answered.......we have our averages !

.....so, dear friends....always trust statistics (lol) !!

Cheers
Dani
© PG Music Forums