PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Free Beatles courses - 01/23/14 07:53 PM
Hi!

I thought you might like to hear about this course from the online University of Rochester; The Beatles Music. You can take it for free and it covers the whole history of The Beatles. It’s only 6 weeks, a few hours a week and it will allow you to get your Beatles geek on!

https://www.coursera.org/course/beatles

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/23/14 10:07 PM
And to think... when I went to university, we had to take Organic Chemistry, Physics, Calculus...

The Beatles were part of "extra curricular activities"...which typically got in the way of that other stuff...
Posted By: Mac Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/23/14 11:26 PM
Likely worth what you pay for it.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/24/14 12:27 AM
The Berklee free on-line courses are worth several hundred dollars each, in my opinion. And they cost nothing.

I will check this one out after February.

Meanwhile, one of the folks that participates in the February Album Writing Month challenge has a blog with 'Tickets to Write', with interesting observations about chord structure/patterns common in Beatles songs. I've used them more than once to get out of typical chord pattern ruts.

http://beatlessongwriting.blogspot.com/p/tickets-to-write.html

-Scott
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/24/14 07:22 PM
Beatles history and music is cool stuff.

I love to hear the stories behind the songs.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/24/14 08:55 PM
I recommend the BBC documentary, "Produced by George Martin" for his pre-Beatles and post-Beatles work and of course plenty in there about the Beatles as well.
Posted By: Riccled Re: Free Beatles courses - 01/26/14 12:10 AM
Hi all.
I also recommend 'Revolution in the Head' by far the best book on the Beatles that I have read,it mixes social history with musical analysis and gives an astonishing depth of information on the Beatles and 60's music in general.
The author is the late Ian Macdonald and I think there is a 2008 update available so I bet Amazon have got it there.
Cya.
© PG Music Forums