PG Music Home
Posted By: martin57 Copyright and realtracks. - 04/27/14 10:28 AM
Hello folks,

I know that it has been stated time and time in the forum that what you create with biab is your own creation and yours alone but just wondering does PG music get all the realtracks artists to sign a legal document detailing this fact?

I am sure that the realtrack artists no matter how good they are don't have an endless list of little runs and riffs that they play, so I would imagine that say they play a run or a riff over a PG music recording, that it's possible they may well play that same riff when doing a recording elsewhere.

If someone in the unlikely event was to create a major number one masterpiece with a distinctive realtrack guitar riff, is there a possibility that some other recording artist who had that realtrack artist play on their record in a studio might say "hey that's the riff from my song" or maybe for that matter the realtrack artist might claim it not knowing that it was in fact from biab.

Very very unlikely to happen as I don't know of any releases or hits that were sorely made with biab, so I suppose my question really is, taking the above into consideration is the copyright promise from PG music really as watertight as it can be?

Martin57
Posted By: Sundance Re: Copyright and realtracks. - 04/27/14 02:21 PM
Hi Martin,

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that as the odds are probably better to win the Powerball jackpot. I don't believe Dr. Gannon would say it's okay if everything wasn't setup correctly. On a riff (signature lick) from a record it's more likely you'd be sued by the record producer/label because the musicians are mostly likely paid as "work for hire" for the session.

I'd be more concerned that the melody wasn't accidentally borrowed from another song because that's where most infringement cases come from, followed by sampling of the actual record.

Even if it did happen, with the proceeds from the big hit you'd just have to pay the money damages and give credit to the original copyright holder - it's not like you'd be exiled or thrown in jail. <grin>

Josie
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Copyright and realtracks. - 04/27/14 02:46 PM
I dont think you or I will ever get an answer to this question in the kind of detail you are asking for. The specifics of the licensing that PG Music engages in with their artists is PG Musics business and none of ours. Thats the way it should be, in my opinion.
© PG Music Forums