PG Music Home
Posted By: swanman Leaving the site - 02/10/09 06:51 PM
Just wanted to thank those of you who have been so helpful since the time I've been bumping around this site. It's greatly appreciated. Too many names to name. Hoping maybe I can find a similar site that's devoted to the music that I'm interested in ( jazz, blues, fusion) and like minded mindsets, so to speak. Got a couple of very anti-American PM's from a guy on this site that I wont name. ( was raised to not be a squealer) Unprovoked and out of the blue. A guy who has zero musical talent. A guy who's never posted a tune in here....not even some BS kareoke crap. It's my guess he's an alcoholic and has pathological American envy. Who the hell knows but I'm done. We can all have a rational discussion or debate on pretty much anything, but when you sit back and hurl national insults form behind your little comp. monitor, things you'd never in a million years have the guts to say to anyones face is about as cowardly a thing a man can do. All I'll say is thats its not " arrogance" to have a little national pride...obviously goes for all of us. but what is arrogant, in my view anyway, is prop up yourself with a self-satisfied, self-important disposition that only your view is the one that matters. Onward to the search for talented musicians. Thanks again, guys. It's been mostly a great experience.
Posted By: Mac Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 07:00 PM
Quote:

... A guy who has zero musical talent. ...

For a minute there I was afraid ya were talkin' about ME.

But then I recalled that I ain't sent you a PM in a month o' Sundays. (grin)

Seriously, take a break, chill out, keep a thick skin and come back kickin'.

"Don't let nobody steal your JOY."

--Mac
Posted By: MarioD Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 07:01 PM
I’m sorry to see you go swanman. I truly enjoyed your songs and I’ll miss your outstanding chops.

It’s to bad that just one obnoxious foreigner can deprive us of your talents. Personally if that had happened to me I would in no uncertain terms tell him exactly what he could do to himself.

If you really aren’t coming back would you be so kind as to tell me via a PM where you end up, site wise.

Good luck my friend - MarioD
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 08:07 PM
Hey Swanman,

Do what Mac said, man. Be bigger than all that and don't give ground.
There is an ignore-option on the board. I guess it can also be used on the mailbox (not sure however)

Keep coming 'round here and keep posting your fine music!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 08:39 PM
Expose this person so we can ALL ignore him!
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 09:02 PM
There was a fellow who moved from one town to another, he had some problems with some folks. As he was coming into the new town, he bumped into a fellow and he asked about the folks in this new town. The fellow asked if there were good folks from the town he had left, yes, quite a few. There are many good folks here as well was the reply.
Btw were there any that caused problems in the town you left, he asked, Yes a few. The fellow nodded and said, yep, same here.
This is a very old wore clich'e, but true, but you already know the lyrics of life. Good luck , come back when you want."It's not the pendulum as it goes to and fro but the essence that drives it that makes us go"---Brother Dave
Later Wyndham
Posted By: Mel Maguire Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 09:35 PM
Please don't go from the site for this reason, Swanny. Leave if you're sick of everyone etc, but not over one person.

Quote:

Just wanted to thank those of you who have been so helpful since the time I've been bumping around this site. It's greatly appreciated. Too many names to name.

Stay for the "too many" to mention, don't leave because of ONE unmentionable...

The ignore function sounds worth a try. Hope you'll stay around - Mel
Posted By: JEP Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 10:00 PM
Swanman,
Really sorry to hear that! I don't know if the Forum rules apply to the PM dept (http://www.pgmusic.com/forum_rules.htm), but my guess is that they do. If so, I hope we've got a moderator on board. Just ignore, and please stay!

- Jepster
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 10:20 PM
Swanman, Ignore this guy whoever he is!! You have too much talent and too much to offer here.So don't let some nonentity score over you. I look forward to your next post! Joe G.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 11:15 PM
Swanman,

I am in agreement with the musicians above, don't let one person run you off, stay for the overwhelming majority of nice well meaning people on this forum. Rather than exposing the culprit which would give him more ink just click the ignore option . . . “like a button off of my shirt”, like “dust from my shoes.” Get the picture?

Mac's take a break advice is good stuff . . . Hang in there,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Leaving the site - 02/10/09 11:46 PM
I have been using forum boards for longer than i car to admit, and it seems everywhere i go there is one or two knuckleheads that live to torment others. One thing i have learned is that is does not do any good to leave there will be another one there. Like a good old fashioned Western movie, sometimes it is time to say "This town is too small fer the both of us!" Ignore him or call him out in the street! But don't let anyone chase you off what you enjoy.
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 03:15 AM
G'day Swannie,
mate, there's always one - wherever you go:
nil illegetimi carborundum
NEVER let the bastards wear you down - stick 'im on your ignore list and stick around - don't let 'im win!
Posted By: Luvs3rds Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 03:21 AM
I am new to this forum. I have been to many others, and that stuff goes on much more than here. I have listened to your stuff
and read your posts and found it all to be good. Maybe this was just an isolated incident. I have found everyone here to be helpful, level headed and talented. There is always ONE in everything we do or where ever we go. You are just pissed off, and rightly so. This is a great place to share talent, and your input would be missed. Maybe just give it a week or so.
Posted By: toucher Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 05:19 AM
Swanman,

From what I've seen of your posts and heard of your music, it would be a shame to lose you from the forum. I belong to several forums, and visited a lot more prior to joining the ones I did, and there is always that one or two or three that just don't need to be breathin' other peoples air.

Stick around buddy, they usually don't for long once they become known.

toucher
Posted By: Sundance Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 05:35 AM
I'm fairly new around here but it would be a shame to have you go because of a jerk. Hope you reconsider.
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 06:45 AM
Opinions are just that.

PMs can be ingnored, in fact you can set you profile to ingnor the jerk completely.

No need to go, I mean if you really want to then do, and I will wish you all the best, but do not go because someone is being a pill.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 09:08 AM
Swanman, you can see that we'd all like you to reconsider. I'd be the only Jeff Beck nut left here if you go!

John
Posted By: Shackman Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 09:32 AM
Hey Swanman.

I'm a foreigner too, and I genuinely value your contribution. Don't make us all the poorer and you too by dissappearing. Prove you're bigger than this character by rising above the interpersonal difficulties he's given you and continuing to bless us with your presence as Gary and Mac have done.

John Shackleton, Melbourne, Australia
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 09:50 AM
Ditto Swannie,
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We all appreciate your input here,

Hey Shackie, are you okay with the bushfires??
Posted By: mglinert Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 10:07 AM
This is something of a strange one.
We've all had experience of forums and we all know that these things generally start from a discussion on a particular thread which - through misunderstanding, misinterpretation or sometimes downright malevolence - just gets out of hand.

But to receive a PM totally out of the blue which is provocative, offensive or insulting, well that just shows its from someone who is deranged. The rational response is just to ignore it and carry on using the forum.

And I find the use of the term 'foreigner' in this thread somewhat puzzling in what is clearly a very international forum. Are we supposed to understand 'non-American'?

Marc
Posted By: Skyline Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 11:04 AM
(Chuckle!) Obviously Mario meant no offence. I did however find myself bridling a bit when I read the word 'foreigner' and after a moment's thought realised that for some reason I don't consider myself (from the UK) a foreigner to folks from the Americas, or Antipodes for that matter, even though I obviously am in their eyes! Perhaps it's that my brother-in-law who lives nearby is a US ex-pat and I have relatives only one generation back who emigrated to the US (Texas), Canada and Australia.

John
Posted By: John Conley Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 11:07 AM
When I have something to say, I do it in public. Never was shy. I live in the best country in the world though I'd never say it was perfect. And some nights the single malt is beside what my kids call the Fraser chair, something to do with TV I suppose, and I really let loose. But I cut that back due to waking up too many mornings in the chair instead of my bed, though heaven knows the steps down in the morning are getting tougher and tougher. I tried taking the bottle upstairs once and fell, oh the fear that I'd broken it when my leg felt wet. What a relief to find out the glass broke and cut me leg, and that the whiskey was ok....just lost a pint of blood...

Hang in there, anyone who lives in Detroit has to be tough....it sure is a great place, having I75 to it's credit. LOL, head north to the Soo, or South to Florida, where I can where white socks and sandals and feel at home.....LOL..
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 12:25 PM
Hey Mate. I learned a long time ago not to respond to, nor read, PM's from jerks. When I saw their name I just nuked it. Case closed. Anyway, this person's opinion is totally unimportant. Ya can't go thru life lettin' a fly get you down. Hang in there baby.
Posted By: davemilleruk Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 03:26 PM
Do what you feel ya gotta do buddy, but as you can see, you got plenty of reasons to stick it out!
Hope you've got it off your chest and decide to stay.....
Regards,
Dave.
Posted By: Axegrinder01 Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 03:36 PM
Just don't go away for the reason you stated. An insulting or demeaning PM is always upsetting, but gee, you still have a lot to contribute here, and to learn here. I'm a complete nimrod on this forum, and have seen a bunch of pretty un-american statements made from time-to-time, but, all considered, this is a great forum.

In addition, it's a very international forum, and even though I live in Texas, I can certainly learn a lot from those folks outside the USA & Canada if I listen with an open mind.

So please reconsider and stick around.

I don't wanna lose a fellow bluesman!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 03:53 PM
Man, to send you a PM just to tell you something like that is pretty bad. Don't let him run you off, LT that's ridiculous. I didn't agree with you on some political things but so what? If I only hung out with people who agreed with me, I'd have no friends at all. You're a good player and a good guy and I know we'd enjoy a beer together. Stick around, buddy.

Bob

p
Posted By: silvertones Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 05:21 PM
I said it to Gary when he had issues and I'll say it to Swanman. If you feel you need to throw out the baby with the bath water & put us all in the same category as this person then I say good riddance.
Posted By: gibson Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 05:40 PM
Quote:

If you feel you need to throw out the baby with the bath water & put us all in the same category as this person then I say good riddance.

Good god what an amazing reply from slivertones, no matter how you read it. GOOD RIDDANCE to swanman. NOPE that is wrong in my opinion.
re the mention of Jeff Beck, I was in a music store in London in the 1970's say 74, 75 and was playing "Jeff's Boogie" on some beautiful Les Paul and this guy said I was doing it wrong and showed me how to play the opening lick and a few runs and left. The guy in the shop said that was Jeff Beck, my hero, <swoon> So along with Skyline there are 3 of us now.

Keep on playing man I enjoy your stuff and lurk, as I do , on this forum.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Leaving the site - 02/11/09 06:38 PM
Swanman,

send the PMs to the webmaster.

When the PG site got polluted by Ivan and co. a few years ago, it took a minor deluge of notices to the webmaster for them to track down the culprit and cut him/her off.

Same thing has happened with some particularly untoward posts in years since.

PG does a good job running their boards. Leave now and the idiot wins.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 04:25 AM
ditto with rockstar_not. One idiot does not make a "there goes the neighbourhood".
Lots to learn, lots to share - stick around.
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 06:19 AM
Quote:

then I say good riddance.

Might be a bit harsh. I encourage Swanman to stay and also respect his right to go, if he feels harassed, but I also have to say that internet harassement can be a royal pain. We had an internet idio who set up bogus web sites using my daughters id and image. Who for a year and a half sent men to our home, to her work, etc (pretending to be her and inviting them to drop by) at all hours of the day and night. Local law enforcement seemed unable to do anything, inspite of the fact we had a name, and address, emails form people he sent, and even voice mails left on the phone uttering threats and acknowledging that he was doing it (not saying it was him, in fact pretending to be someone else from somewhere else, but some with a phone number tag, many where his voice was recognizable. We eventually moved and droped our phone number (one I have had for 30 some years) for an unlisted number. Still had a problem with some of my daughters not too bright friends giving out her cell phone number (this had to be changed a couple more times).

So, silvertones, (while I agree a little, if fact I have already said I hope he stays by Good bye if you must go) I have to say we do not know how much the harassement has rubbed Swanman. I did not think we would give up our phone, I had it for most of my adult life, but in the end after hundreds of strangers dropping in in various states, at various times, after having a rock put through our window, after considering the risk to the family, I let our staker win a small victory, we move (we were planning to anyway) and gave up our phone, public address, etc.

So perhaps "good riddance" is a bit too harsh.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 12:17 PM
Harsh? Yes this hits a real sore spot with me! I can't stand someone that will lump everyone into a category. He's not saying that this person is a jerk he's saying that this whole forum is beneath him!
Why announce that you're leaving? Looking for sympathy? Well he got it from most of you and he's not even man enough to post a reply.
Swanman got a nasty gram because he, like others , chose to participate in heated , controversial political arguments on a MUSIC forum. The "OFF TOPIC" was intended for MUSIC related subjects that are not related to PG Music.
IF you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch with me.
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 01:30 PM
Well I agree with Jesus. His last commandment to the Jews was, "As I have loved you. Love one another. This true commandment. Love one another. By this shall men know. Ye are my desciples. If ye have love, one to another". This is how it's supposed to go. I wished I could say I'm 100% innocent on that issue but I'm just human. So some of us are harsh in our feelings and some of us are soft in them. That's ok. I'm sure Swanman and Silvertones have their own reasons for feeling this way. It's ok. They are entitled to it. We all react to certain things and words in different manners.

I feel that Swanman will, in time, return to the forum. He probably just needs to take a break and cool off then he'll be fine. He'll also find that we are the friendliest forum around in time. So, if nothing else, just think good thoughts about him. He's earned it in my book. The cat rocks.

My 2¢ worth
Posted By: Mel Maguire Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 01:32 PM
"Just wanted to thank those of you who have been so helpful since the time I've been bumping around this site. It's greatly appreciated. Too many names to name. Hoping maybe I can find a similar site that's devoted to the music that I'm interested in ( jazz, blues, fusion) and like minded mindsets, so to speak." "Onward to the search for talented musicians. Thanks again, guys. It's been mostly a great experience."

Silvertones, I really don't think Swanny means that this whole forum is beneath him - at least that's not how it strikes me at all - he's thanking everyone and saying goodbye, and explaining the reasons for his future absence.

He probably hasn't posted a reply because that was his farewell note - he hasn't been back to read these, maybe?

Heated debates. Lots of people took part - Did anyone else receive any PM flames?
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 03:22 PM
Well,
The funny thing about what Silvertones said was, to me, it really hit home. I had to take a step back, and think about what he said. Did I really want to let my standing here be affected by someone else? While I felt a certain way at that time, coming back shows I did the right thing.

I've already sent Swanny a PM, and hope he reads it. Told him to take a couple of weeks away from here, just chill out, let it pass, and then come back.

What *I* found was, that even though I was angry and hurt, I still couldn't stay away from this bunch of people.

Gary
Posted By: Mac Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 03:45 PM
I left this forum for about a year. Don't know if you were around to remember that, Gary. Same issues, though, let what was probably one person with several "sockpuppet" identities get to me.

But in Gary's case, I was the one who angered him and I certainly hope and pray that we both have all that behind us now.

--Mac
Posted By: mark1 Re: Leaving the site - 02/12/09 05:39 PM
Yeah,
I know just what it's like to receive an insulting PM - it is as you say a particularily cowardly act.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Leaving the site - 02/13/09 05:44 PM
Why don't you just post the PM and expose the person. PM's are for private things, obnoxious rantings should be brought out into the open. Anyway I'd love to know what got you so riled.
Posted By: Mac Re: Leaving the site - 02/13/09 10:26 PM
Don't stir the pot.
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 12:00 AM
Citaat:

Why don't you just post the PM and expose the person. PM's are for private things, obnoxious rantings should be brought out into the open. Anyway I'd love to know what got you so riled.

No need to know.

The only thing that matters is the one sole thing that we all agree on: We Love Music.
Some times our political views do not agree, sometimes there are heatened discussion. We all can decide for ourselfs to participate or not. So can we decide to ignore PMs or certain posters.

This is however NOT the place to indulge in gossips and namecallings. This is NOT the place to seek conflicts. This is NOT the place to start a personal fight.

This is a place for music. This is a place for musicians all over the world. The universal language here is music.
Let that be your answer.
Posted By: Mel Maguire Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 12:23 AM
+1
Quote:

The only thing that matters is the one sole thing that we all agree on: We Love Music.
Some times our political views do not agree, sometimes there are heatened discussion. We all can decide for ourselfs to participate or not. So can we decide to ignore PMs or certain posters.

This is however NOT the place to indulge in gossips and namecallings. This is NOT the place to seek conflicts. This is NOT the place to start a personal fight.

This is a place for music. This is a place for musicians all over the world. The universal language here is music.
Let that be your answer.

Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 02:39 AM
Mac,
I was under a great deal of stress at the time, and I allowed myself to be offended by something that should have rolled off my back.

I've known you a long time, and I was stupid. You may assume that the past is just that, the past.

Gary
Posted By: Le Miz Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 05:47 AM
You're a good guy Gary. So's Mac. Glad things are less stressful now, or at least that you're handling the stress better.

Mac, as I recall, was one of the "+1" guys in the "Come Back, Gary!" thread.

Of course, back then, only a handful of us knew what "+1" meant! LOL

Gary and Mac, I don't think either one of you could be "stupid" if you each took half-a-bottle of "stupid pills".

On the other hand, if either one of you swallowed an entire bottle...

If you two were to meet in person, you guys would be best buds.

You each love music so much!
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 04:37 PM
It's not always easy to follow this advice, but someone shared these with me years ago, and quite often some have taken root in me and got me over some verbal hurdles...

When we allow someone to ANGER us, that person CONTROLS us...

When someone says something that angers us... we are placing a higher value on that person's opinion than our own.

Gary is right: we should learn to let some things just roll off our back.

Quite often if we IGNORE unkind words or comments then we have victory over them and we don't allow them to pull us down.
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 06:45 PM
I have a back ground in counseling and train in hypnosis. Much of how I organize my experience is around the notion of trances. Not in the traditional sense, but in the sense of music leads to a trance (or altered state) going to court, being before a judge leads to a trance state, etc. etc. one approach to working with people for managing mental states is to ignore anything that is the target closer to the target state and encouraging anything that leads towards the target state.

It is funny how we can learn to change our focus. I have worked a number of times with women having baby. Typically people call this pain management, but, I call it managing comfort (this is just a small change in focus, but it asked the person to seek comfort rather than asking them to focus on pain.

I have had had a number of women who's first issue when going in to the hospital to have their baby was that the hospital staff did not think they were ready to have their babies because they did not present the appropriate amount of distress.

My point of course, is that, we can demonstrate a surprising amount of control as to where we put our focus, and therefore, a surprising amount of control over how we are influenced by what happens outside.

To some extent it also matters as much "what we think people intend by what they do or say", as "what they intend by what they do or say."

Often people do and say unkind things, but the fact that we often feel bad as a result is extra.
Posted By: Mac Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 06:49 PM
So music leads to a trance or altered state?

Hmm. Explains much about some of the musicians I've had to play with...

--Mac
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 07:02 PM
Quote:

It's not always easy to follow this advice, but someone shared these with me years ago, and quite often some have taken root in me and got me over some verbal hurdles...

When we allow someone to ANGER us, that person CONTROLS us...

When someone says something that angers us... we are placing a higher value on that person's opinion than our own.

Gary is right: we should learn to let some things just roll off our back.

Quite often if we IGNORE unkind words or comments then we have victory over them and we don't allow them to pull us down.

Ray:

Good advice.

Glenn
Posted By: BlueTurbit Re: Leaving the site - 02/14/09 07:55 PM
Quote:

To some extent it also matters as much "what we think people intend by what they do or say", as "what they intend by what they do or say."

I say: Tell me what'd I say? All right now now now, hey hey, hey hey. I do intend to think about this, people. Well, tell me what'd I say, yeah. hey hey. When you see me in misery. Now yeah, hey hey, all right.
Posted By: PeteG Re: Leaving the site - 02/18/09 12:30 AM
Hey, It wasn't me!

Seriously, don't go, I've enjoyed your posts even if I don't always agree.
and your musical contributions have been very enjoyable.
© PG Music Forums