PG Music Home
Posted By: HearToLearn Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 09:54 AM
I'm not sure if that's a word, but thought I would use it.

In a recent post on DJ's, I saw a number of people who determined that they felt the subject was as far as it was going to go. That there was no point in discussing it any further, and no one else should either.

I continued with the conversation wanting to know more. It wasn't only with people who shared my view, but those who thought differently than I do. I don't feel these people are wrong! In questioning them to see how they think, I am challenging my own thinking more than theirs. I never want to hold on blindly to a belief out of ignorance.

Anyway, I very much got the feeling that people didn't want the conversation to continue. I want to be welcome here as I respect this forums talents, knowledge, and humor!

I was thinking as long as even two people are willing to have the conversation, allow them to. If you don't want to participate any further, then simply move on. There are MANY threads I don't comment on at all. They either don't interest me, or I feel I have nothing to contribute worth writing. And PM's don't allow others to jump in with insights as comments are made. Isn't that what threads are for?

So how does it work here?

Just looking for clarification as I feel there are several people starring at the screen, shaking their heads, and thinking "Man, get a clue."
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 10:27 AM
IMHO, if someone doesn't like the thread, or where it is going, he/she should simply ignore the thread.

It's just basic human kindness and respect for those who want to continue the conversation.

I've seen the dead horse thing on many forums, and could never understand the motivation behind posting it. It never stops the thread, and irritates some of the people in the conversation (I don't let it bother me).

So is the intention to irritate people?

If so, why?

Please help me understand why people would take the time to post it when it's a lot easier to just ignore the thread.

Notes
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
IMHO, if someone doesn't like the thread, or where it is going, he/she should simply ignore the thread.

It's just basic human kindness and respect for those who want to continue the conversation.

I've seen the dead horse thing on many forums, and could never understand the motivation behind posting it. It never stops the thread, and irritates some of the people in the conversation (I don't let it bother me).

So is the intention to irritate people?

If so, why?

Please help me understand why people would take the time to post it when it's a lot easier to just ignore the thread.

Notes

Our approaches seem very similar. As to the answers to your questions, I don't know. We will see what others respond, if any, I guess.

Each forum functions slightly differently...as if it has it's own personality to a point. This is BY FAR one of the kindest forums I have seen. Because of that, I value it.

I'm not a "people pleaser" personality, but also I'm not looking to tick the world off either. Knowing a bit how people approach is forum helps. I don't take things overly personal either. So it helps to keep myself in check.

Thank you very much for your response!

Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 11:26 AM
“In a recent post on DJ's, I saw a number of people who determined that they felt the subject was as far as it was going to go. That there was no point in discussing it any further, and no one else should either.”

Can you show me where anyone said that, or even intimated that, in that thread? You have every right to beat a dead horse all day long. I will defend to the death your right to beat that dead horse.

I also reserve my right to comment on the oppressively odious odor of said deceased equine. grin
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 11:55 AM

Quote:
Can you show me where anyone said that, or even intimated that, in that thread?

I can, but am not going to single people out. That isn't my point at all here in the least. It very easy to look back at the thread and see. They identify themselves. Again, it's not about that thread. It's about my clarifying going forward.

Quote:
You have every right to beat a dead horse all day long. I will defend to the death your right to beat that dead horse.

As do you. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to beat said horse in a thread about beating dead horses?

Quote:
I also reserve my right to comment on the oppressively odious odor of said deceased equine. grin

I am being forward in saying I am at the point of getting frustrated. This beating a dead horse thing is going to far for me. I know you are semi-joking, and it is somewhat funny, but when it gets in the way and starts dominating the threads I am participating in, I feel maybe this isn't the place for me.

I am trying to learn how this forum works so that I can adequately express my opinions in a way that works here. That I am signing in to have the conversations I am in be hijacked to beating a dead horse is sucking the reason I am hear out of me.

I have commented very little on the songs in the user showcase because I am learning how people interact. Songs can be such a personal thing. I am here to help when I feel I can, and have a huge desire to learn.

If I am going to be mocked for my attempts to learn, there are other roads I should perhaps take. I am weight that.

I by no means think you are a bad person. I understand most of your posts are in jest...somewhat. Behind them, is also truth though.

I haven't been here long enough to know if this is something you do to many people, or if you are seeing an opportunity with me. In the previous thread, I believe it was more general. But to come to this thread and do it makes it a bit more personal.

I realize I don't have the experience many of the people here have. I am amazed by the talents I see displayed.

I do feel I have things to offer as well. I am using the program in ways I'm sure others have, but many don't. I think it's an amazing tool. I'm excited for it.

These threads also, can be an amazing too. But not if they are counter-productive to what I am trying to accomplish.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Quote:
Can you show me where anyone said that, or even intimated that, in that thread?

I can, but am not going to single people out. That isn't my point at all here in the least. It very easy to look back at the thread and see. They identify themselves. Again, it's not about that thread. It's about my clarifying going forward.

Quote:
You have every right to beat a dead horse all day long. I will defend to the death your right to beat that dead horse.

As do you. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to beat said horse in a thread about beating dead horses?

Quote:

I am being forward in saying I am at the point of getting frustrated. This beating a dead horse thing is going to far for me. I know you are semi-joking, and it is somewhat funny, but when it gets in the way and starts dominating the threads I am participating in, I feel maybe this isn't the place for me.

I am trying to learn how this forum works so that I can adequately express my opinions in a way that works here. That I am signing in to have the conversations I am in be hijacked to beating a dead horse is sucking the reason I am hear out of me.

I have commented very little on the songs in the user showcase because I am learning how people interact. Songs can be such a personal thing. I am here to help when I feel I can, and have a huge desire to learn.

If I am going to be mocked for my attempts to learn, there are other roads I should perhaps take. I am weight that.

I by no means think you are a bad person. I understand most of your posts are in jest...somewhat. Behind them, is also truth though.

I haven't been here long enough to know if this is something you do to many people, or if you are seeing an opportunity with me. In the previous thread, I believe it was more general. But to come to this thread and do it makes it a bit more personal.

I realize I don't have the experience many of the people here have. I am amazed by the talents I see displayed.

I do feel I have things to offer as well. I am using the program in ways I'm sure others have, but many don't. I think it's an amazing tool. I'm excited for it.

These threads also, can be an amazing too. But not if they are counter-productive to what I am trying to accomplish.

Wow.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:06 PM
Quote:
Wow.

Meaning?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:23 PM
Quote:
Wow.

Meaning?

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:29 PM
Quote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and video is worth millions

Yet, I still don't know what you mean.

Are you panicked?

Do you feel I am?

Are you saying you are crazy?

Are you saying I am?

Is it something else completely different than that?

I honestly don't know.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:30 PM
I will say this, I am a really poor typist! LOL

Eye no the write werds butt seam too tie-p teriblee.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:33 PM
"Are you saying you are crazy?"

BINGO!!!!!

Haven't you heard? grin
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Quote:
Wow.

Meaning?

Not cute or funny.

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:39 PM

Yeah...I think I need to go. When pictures are posted of a "witch hunt" mentality of driving someone like me out of an area, I don't take kindly to it.

Take care everyone.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 12:43 PM

Yeah...I think I need to go.

Take care everyone.

Man, I think you're really taking this the wrong way. It was a J-O-K-E, OK? A jest. A flight of fancy.

No one is attacking you. No one is "bullying" you.

To quote Sgt. Hulka:

"Lighten up, Francis!" grin

Regards,

Bob

p.s. I just noticed your edit. The "Mob" is coming after ME, not YOU! OK?????
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/21/15 01:34 PM
HearToLearn, if you feel someone is hijacking your threads or bullying you just click that button labeled "Notify Moderator" and then explain. Like most internet forums this one has a lot of nice, helpful people and it also has those who troll, ridicule and bully. Ignore or report them and move on!
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Thread-iquette - 04/22/15 11:40 AM
There are people who simply like to disrupt a conversation and tic people off.

There are other people who in an attempt to inject humor in a thread unintentionally tic some people off. Along with that are those who sometimes take offense when no offense is intended.

On-line forums are not like face to face conversations where we can read facial expressions and body language. That makes it all too easy to misunderstand the intention of a post.

I try to be kind to the people I debate with on-line, but I must admit that I've had a few heated arguments on-line. I tried to learn from them.

I find that when someone posts something that seems to be intended to disrupt a conversation, the best way for me to handle it is to ignore it as if it was an advertisement for something I'm not interested in and move on to the next post.

If was intended to be a joke, and I didn't get the joke, but responded as if it was an affront, it causes hard feelings.

If it was intended to irritate me, and I respond as if it did, well then, mission accomplished. I'm not about to let someone else control my emotions that easily and if they did, I certainly don't want them to know it - that would be positive reinforcement for them to do it again.

So my own personal Thread-iquette rules are:
  • Try to be respectful to those with the wrong opinion (wrong opinion means opposite of mine <wink/grin/attempt at humor>)
  • Try to clearly indicate all attempts at humor so that no one misunderstands and gets insulted or has their feelings hurt
  • Try to acknowledge that although their point is different from mine that their opinion is valid and they are not stupid/worthless/evil for having that opinion - insulting the 'opponent' will not help the debate
  • Try to state my opinion as opinion even though I believe it to be fact
  • Ignore insults, trolls, or any post designed to disrupt the conversation
  • Keep the "Do Unto Others" rule in my head at all times.

Do I succeed at this all the time? Definitely not. I'm human too. But I try.

All in all this PG forum is the friendliest one of all the forums that I frequent. It's almost like an extended family with many posters that I consider as friends, even though we've never met. But like all families, there are bound to be differences of opinion and the problems that accompany them. Then it's time to heal, make up, and go on.

All of this is my opinion, it is not the 'law' or the official netiquette rule, so anyone has a right to disagree.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/22/15 12:29 PM
"Try to clearly indicate all attempts at humor so that no one misunderstands and gets insulted or has their feelings hurt"

NOTICE: WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

ATTEMPT AT "HUMOR" INCOMING!

DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND!!!!!

DO NOT GET INSULTED !!!!!

In order to insure political correctness and comity, the poster assures all concerned that there is no ill intent involved in the posting.

Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Thread-iquette - 04/23/15 09:55 AM
That animal looks "cat-atonic" to me. wink
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/23/15 10:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
That animal looks "cat-atonic" to me. wink

Actually, he is very Sophisticated Cat. wink
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Thread-iquette - 04/24/15 10:30 AM
I would categorize him that way myself.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Thread-iquette - 04/24/15 10:50 AM
After giving this thread a quick cat scan, I have decided it isn't for meow. I just don't feline can contribute.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Thread-iquette - 04/24/15 10:59 AM
Great play-on-words Eddie. Still chuckling
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Thread-iquette - 04/25/15 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
After giving this thread a quick cat scan, I have decided it isn't for meow. I just don't feline can contribute.

Ouch!!! (translation - I'm jealous <grin>)
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Thread-iquette - 04/25/15 06:40 PM

Come on Eddie, hw long did it take to put that one together? Anything under 5 minutes and you still get my applause. :>

Later,
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Thread-iquette - 04/25/15 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.

Come on Eddie, hw long did it take to put that one together? Anything under 5 minutes and you still get my applause. :>

Later,

On the fly, brutha.... on the fly.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Thread-iquette - 04/26/15 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.

Later,

On the fly, brutha.... on the fly.

I know you can't see this nor hear it, but you are now receiving a resounding standing O. :>

Later man,
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Thread-iquette - 04/28/15 05:15 PM
I am sorry if I have gone a bit "cat"atonic with this "cat"aclysm. I guess the cat had my tongue, or I would have said something sooner.

As I sat in my "cat"acombs reviewing the "cat"alogued forum discussion, one thing became "cat"egorically undeniable. I took things personally. Perhaps there was a "cat"alyst; but this ultimately falls on me.

90 db, I see your remarks weren't always "cat"apulted at me. Some were at you, from you. LOl I guess I don't understand your humor at times. I will learn before it's another "cat"astrophe. I will try to "cat"ch myself sooner the next time.

Sorry if any of this seemed "cat"ty.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thread-iquette - 04/28/15 05:31 PM
I am sorry if I have gone a bit "cat"atonic with this "cat"aclysm. I guess the cat had my tongue, or I would have said something sooner.

As I sat in my "cat"acombs reviewing the "cat"alogued forum discussion, one thing became "cat"egorically undeniable. I took things personally. Perhaps there was a "cat"alyst; but this ultimately falls on me.

90 db, I see your remarks weren't always "cat"apulted at me. Some were at you, from you. LOl I guess I don't understand your humor at times. I will learn before it's another "cat"astrophe. I will try to "cat"ch myself sooner the next time.

Sorry if any of this seemed "cat"ty.

No worries mate. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I'll try not to crack wise, but it's not easy. grin

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums