PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Going into the studio for a few days - 03/30/09 04:48 AM
We'll be recording eight of my Latin jazz compositions, all of which started life in BIAB. Today was the rehearsal, and this week we have two sessions.

The rest of the personnel is Tomas Martin Lopez, Latin percussion & leader, with Bill O'Connell (from Dave Valentin) on piano; Ruben Rodriguez (from Tito Puente & Mongo Santamaria), bass; Ivan Renta (from Ray Barretto & Arturo O'Farrill), sax; and Joel Rosenblatt (from Spyro Gyra) on drums. Bunch of heavy cats from the New York area.

See you on Thursday.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/30/09 11:40 AM
Good luck!
Posted By: Superbron Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/30/09 12:45 PM
Good luck from me too. I am curious about the results. Please let us know the results.

Cheers

Superbron
Posted By: toucher Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/30/09 02:14 PM
Congrats Matt

I love the feeling of going into the studio for some serious work. Hope it goes well and is a lot of fun.

Rob
Posted By: Mac Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 12:49 AM
Break a leg by the hour, man.

--Mac
Posted By: jford Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 01:01 AM
Hey Matt, let us know when the CD is available for purchase. Sounds to me like it's going to be a "must listen".
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 02:38 AM
If Brazilian Wish is any indication, which it is, I'll be anxiously awaiting when the disk goes to production. CD Baby, here I come.

Yeah! Matt's gonna have a new album..YAY!

Gary
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 03:05 AM
Ya gonna knock'm dead . . . again!

Break a leg!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 03:47 AM
Thanks, everybody, for your support! We got six of my tunes recorded today. It's Latin jazz rhythms grafted onto my normal Brazilian charts. It cooks.

Tomorrow, two more of mine, three of Bill O'Connell's, and a standard.

There's nothing quite like having your compositions come alive. Without BIAB, I could not have done it.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 04:31 AM
I can't wait. I hope that someone brought a camcorder, and we're going to get a taste of this on YouTube!

I have one of these, what a bargain!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10902821

The only problem with it is if you click the button for zoom or wide, you can hear the click. Other than that, it's a pretty nifty little camera, and will do High Def!

Gary
Posted By: John Conley Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 03/31/09 04:07 PM
Hope all went well. I see Diana Krall just released a Brazilian flavoured CD, Quiet Nights. She makes my hair stand on end.....and her husband's. LOL Elvis Costello.

And she's from BC just north of PG music.....
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 04/01/09 01:12 AM
One of my favorite singers, John! Just gotta lover her voice, her piano playing, and well.... I guess Elvis is lucky, and two beautiful baby boys, too.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 04/01/09 02:56 AM
Diana Krall is one of my favorites, too.

Go the other six tunes in the can today. Good stuff. Now on to the wonderful world of post production. It's not my CD to produce, but given that I wrote eight of the tunes, I will help out.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 04/01/09 03:29 AM
So, Matt, this is not going to be under your name? Well, let me know who it will be, and I'll still buy it, and I'll still be waiting for your next album.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 04/01/09 03:43 AM
Right, it's for Tomas Martin Lopez, a longtime friend and percussionist in my band. He asked me to write the charts. He really needed a CD of his own, since the rest of us have one we can sell at concerts.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Going into the studio for a few days - 04/01/09 04:54 AM
Well, I hope it's going to be available on CD Baby. Any of the other musicians who have disks there too, I'd appreciate knowing about them.

Of course, I'm sure Luiz Dias will also appreciate the music.

Gary
© PG Music Forums