PG Music Home
Posted By: Danny C. Chord Pick Out Software - 11/19/15 08:16 PM
Has anyone tried this chord recognition software? Chord Pick Out

Later,
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/19/15 08:22 PM
No because the Audio Chord Wizard built-into both BiaB and RB does the same thing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/19/15 09:28 PM
No I haven't Danny but when I want the chords to a song I google/bing song title chordsand most all of the time I can find what I am looking for.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/20/15 10:23 AM
I find most chord finder software to be helpful, but lacking. You still need your ears.

The software gets you 'in the ballpark' but still misses some and gets others wrong.

If possible, I like the sheet music because sometimes even the best ears can't pick out some of the nuances. For example, on an extended chord, the pianist might not play all the notes causing the listener to misidentify the chord.

Then once I know the correct "official" chords to the song, I can decide what notes I want to leave out (if any) and what chord substitutions I want to use to personalize it to my tastes.

But I guess in some other people's eyes, I'm being too persnickety and overdoing it. (They could be correct.)

There is more than one right way to make music, and my way works for me - YMMV.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/20/15 10:37 AM
Ever since college 45 years ago, I've been transcribing chord progressions. I haven't found anything that gets me even remotely close when analyzing the Brazilian jazz stuff I play.

If you are doing it by yourself, often the best place to hear the correct chord type is in the backgrounds for solos, not the chords under the melody. It's not an absolute rule, of course.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/21/15 12:37 AM
Thanks all, I was just wondering how it may have compared to the program in our PG Music software, which I have never used for most of the reasons you guys have outlined above. Still like the sheet music, or chord chart and still sit down with cans on and a guitar on my lap trying to emulate the chords on the recording. Of course after I get them I start trying to tweak them, just a bit, LOL

Later guys thanks,
Posted By: solidrock Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/21/15 01:54 AM
You should all have this RT
bb\RealTracks\Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120/AcG031.wav

If you don't he is a small sample AcG031_Sample.mp3

Chord Pickout ver 2.0 (Not 3.0)

http://www.riffstation.com/downloads.html#download-links has a trial version and http://www.chordpickout.com/download.html

Also:
Chords
https://play.riffstation.com/
https://chordify.net
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Chord Pick Out Software - 11/21/15 10:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Ever since college 45 years ago, I've been transcribing chord progressions. I haven't found anything that gets me even remotely close when analyzing the Brazilian jazz stuff I play. <...>

Jazzy stuff can be very difficult, especially when you get extended chords or one chord stacked on top of another. That's another reason why I prefer to get the sheet music.

If I can't get the sheet, a PGV book followed by a fake book can be good.

If I have to, I'll use my ears, and that will often get me either right on or close, depending on how complex the music is. If I'm going to use my ears, I'd prefer an uncompressed copy of the music. YouTube, mp3s and other compressed formats often leave out some of the notes if they are not played loud enough.

I do know there are times when you have to go with 'that's good enough'. However, if it's going to be a backing track for my duo, I'm hopefully going to play it thousands of times, and so any time I put in to make it better is worth it. If it's something I may be selling on my site, it has my name on it, so any time I spend making it better is not only worth it, but a source of pride.

But like I said, that's me. What's right for me might be an overkill to another - and my way is not the only correct way to do it.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums