PG Music Home
Posted By: Walther BiaB running on Linux? - 02/21/16 05:29 PM
Since the last Windows10 update crashed my PC, I eventually installed Ubuntu and found substitutes for nearly every app I use, except of course BiaB.
I started experimenting with wine using the PlayOnLinux implementation.
Midi is working even in two alternativ solution, passing midi either via alsa to the Linux soft synth timidity, or, after post-installing DirectMusic using winetricks, also with the DXi-plugin Coyote.

Unfortunatelly RealTracks are not working. I suspect that the MME implementation in wine does not support multi-channel-mixing.
I also tried to install the wine asio driver wineasio.dll.so. It seems to be installed and registered correctly, but BiaB does not recognize it.
So I'm stuck and rather clueless now.

Is anybody out there who had more success with the combination BiaB/wine/Linux? I would appreciate gratefully any hint.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/21/16 07:39 PM
When you mention "RealTracks are not working", can you be more specific? What part doesn't work? Are they not found, are the selectable - but no sound, etc?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/21/16 07:42 PM
I did find this article, which you may have already reviewed. Not sure if it helps.
Posted By: Walther Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/22/16 05:57 AM
Thanks for the link. I already knew it and it describes how to play midi using Linux means alsa/timidity). But midi is uncritical since Coyote works as well, as I said above.

The problem is that RealTracks cannot be heard. When starting a song, I can see in the title bar that the Realstyles are retrieved correctly (from my external HD).
In mixed Midi/RealTracks styles only the midi part is then to be heard.

As far as I understood, both, soft synth output and RealTracks are routed to the same audio driver which is in my case MME.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/22/16 08:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback
And I have to presume that the program can find the RealTracks folder then OK? (but just in case)

Attached picture 2016-02-22_22-56-37.jpg
Posted By: Walther Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/22/16 12:46 PM
I think so. I assigned the Drums and RealTracks folders manually in the respective settings. I can select a RealStyle for a song and when I press the play button, Biab starts generating the song without complaining, and I can see in the title bar the progress when Realtracks are retrieved. So yes, this seems to be configured correctly.

As far as I know, both, sound output from Coyote and ReaTracks sound are passed to the MME interface and then from MME down to the low level drivers, in my case either pulseaudio or alsa, whatever I configure in wine.

I wonder whether there is something special with RealTracks what the wine MME implementation cannot deal with. If I would know, I could perhaps ask the wine guys whether this could be fixed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/22/16 06:18 PM
Google/bing playing WMA files in Linux and you will find a lot of people having problems. There are a few suggestions on how to get them to play that some people have had success.

I have dabbled in Linux but only for the Internet and Photography but never for music.

Good luck

PS - if you have already done this then sorry for the redundancy.
Posted By: jford Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/22/16 07:30 PM
Here's something to try. Just do it with a couple of RT's to test it (this assumes that the issue is with WMA's). Maybe convert some of the RT WMAs to WAV files and see if that works, instead. My understanding is that the program will use a WMA file for the RT unless there is a WAV file present (much like what happens with the Audiophile version). Of course, the WAV file takes up much more space, but it's probably worth the short test to see if the problem is with the WMA files.

Just a thought.
Posted By: Walther Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/24/16 04:08 PM
cool Hey, thanks Mario and John, this has been the key hint.
In order to play WMA it is necessary to install Windows Media Player and the related Codecs within PlayOnLinux. That did the trick!

Now both, RT and Midi are working like a charm.

I will make a few more tests, e.g., to find out how to replace MME with ASIO, and whether everything else works fine.
Posted By: Dave Chambliss Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 06:26 AM
Some programs work well with wine and some Don't. BIAB does not work well on linux using wine. I've found that what works for me is to duel boot between Windows and Linux. Problem solved.
Posted By: Walther Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 07:31 AM
Sure, but I really want to get rid of Windows.
And now that sound is basically working I am rather confident that Biab will run sufficiently, at least for my purposes.
Can you please share your findings of shortcomings or what is not running?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 07:56 AM
Now you have it all working under Lin you should put a guide in the tips n tricks forum - see how it goes with real band as well and you can put them in winehq as it needs updating. The other thing is you can't use 64bit vst's but you can do without them.
I know others looking to make a jailbreak also and I hear reaper works well under wine. So it will be good to hear the results.
Posted By: Walther Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 09:49 AM
Yes, will do.
The wine appdb entry for BiaB is rather outdated (ends with BiaB 2009), I will post my findings also there. BTW: I installed version 2012.5, because this was the full version I purchased then. I start now to install the updates up to 2016.
I read somewhere, too, that 64bit apps seem to be problematic under wine. That is why I started out with a 32bit version of wine.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 10:07 AM
I hope that when MS starts charging monthly for Win 10 that more companies start porting their programs over to Linux and that Linux becomes more popular. Also that Linux will become more user friendly also.
Posted By: sslechta Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 02/25/16 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I hope that when MS starts charging monthly for Win 10 that more companies start porting their programs over to Linux and that Linux becomes more popular. Also that Linux will become more user friendly also.

We can all dream sir..... As much as I would like that to happen.... smile
Posted By: Jivy Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 05/16/16 06:53 PM
I see that this is an old post. However, BnB and PT both are working fine on my install of Mint 17.3 (XFCE). Just install as normal using wine and then start Qsynth before you start BnB or PT. Point BnB to Qsynth for midi. The midi files will work fine using whatever soundfont you choose in Qsynth, but the "Realtracks" won't work. No loss as far as I am concerned. Actually an older version of BnB works better and is easier to use than the latest version.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 05/16/16 07:26 PM
"but the "Realtracks" won't work"

install Windows Media Player and the related Codecs
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=337948#Post337948
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 05/16/16 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Jivy
Actually an older version of BnB works better and is easier to use than the latest version.

You didn't mention 'with fewer features as well'
Posted By: drm Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/30/17 03:12 PM
It seems to run easily with no fuss at all, using Oracle Vbox with a windows 10 guest.

Here's the recipe at a high level.

To set up the virtual machine:

1) install the oracle virtual box repository

2) install vbox,

3a) obtain a ready to go windows virtual machine,
or 3b) create a windows virtual machine and install windows 10

4) in settings, give it access to your home directory, or a subdirectory, unless you want to give a lot of disk space to the virtual machine

5) shutdown the virtual machine - from the windows menu, just like a real window machine.

4) download and install the guest extensions from the oracle vbox webesite (just click on the file, vbox will open and install it)

5) start your windows virtual machine

6) it should run the windows installer for the extensions cd image, if not then check the menus, there is an item to load the cd image.

7) restart the virtual machine -- from the windows menu!!

Setup BIAB

8) from the windows virtual machine, install you BIAB software just like you would on an actual windows machine.

And, voila, you should be ready to go.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/30/17 08:42 PM
drm, welcome to the forums.

This is a useful and informative post. Perhaps you might consider adding it to the Tips and Tricks section of the forum?

Thanks!
Posted By: edshaw Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/30/17 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Thanks, Mario, for expressing my very thought. We'll just have to take everything in it time. Right now, there are not enough Linux users to comprise the demand. As the cloud grows, that demand will increase. And, it is not only on account of the monthly fees, but concerns for privacy invasion. The word "create" means to make something new, not show the whole world what you're doing, as you are doing it.
There is hope. Examples: the desktop publishing program, Scribus, and a kind of hybrid DAW (some interesting similarities with SONY Acid, which I think is on the way out) called "Reaper." The studio is $60. I'm still evaluating.
MS likes to say individual user owned PCs are inefficient. That's not at all true. Funny how they change their tunes.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/30/17 11:24 PM
ReactOS is slowly getting there:
Imagine running your favorite Windows applications and drivers in an open-source environment you can trust. That's ReactOS. Not just an Open but also a Free operating system.

https://www.reactos.org/

This was a VirtualBox image from the download page.
I might install it on a hard drive and see how it goes.

Attached picture ReactOS_RB-1100.jpg
Posted By: edshaw Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/31/17 11:15 AM
Thanks Pipeline. That looks like a page to put into the rotation.
Note the Linux Kernel is said to have a problem with x.s. power consumption. That comes as no surprise.
Posted By: Jivy Re: BiaB running on Linux? - 08/09/21 04:21 PM
I see this is an old post, but the reason Realtracks do not work is because BnB uses WMA audio files. The simple fix is to convert the WMA files to WAV files. Once you do that, the real tracks will work on linux.
© PG Music Forums