PG Music Home
Great deal folks:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/st3controller/

This is a killer offer. I'm a keyboard player so I'll get one of the controllers. I've never used a mini controller before so maybe I don't like it but to spend $79 and get the full ST3? That's a no brainer and I'll give it to somebody's kid if I can't use the hardware.

For those who don't know, ST3 is 64 bit only so you need a 64 bit computer plus JBridge to use it with either Biab or RB.

Bob
Bob

Thanks for the tip-off on this.

It really appears to be a great deal.

Trevor
Sweet!

Thanks.
I was not interested in ST3 when it came out but $80 for it and a mini keyboard I think that I will get it.

Thanx bob for the heads up.
If I didn't already have ST3 and already have a midi controlling keyboard... I would jump on this.
For what it's worth and that ain't much, and given I'm NOT a keyboard player, I really like the action of the iRig Keys Pro 49 (i love the full sized keys)

I had the M-Audio one but keys never felt right - you knew it was "inexpensive"

I compare feel/action to synth action keyboards I have - well at least close. And if you get full ST3 what the heck

Larry
Looks like the offer is good through the end of May. Since I just upgraded to Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate, I'll probably wait a month before looking into this. I think it might be nice to have a compact keyboard for my laptop.

Thanks for noticing this, Bob.
FYI if you go to IK's site you can get a 25 mini keyboard for $59.99 USD. It also comes with ST3. Plus you can use jam points up to 30%, bringing the total cost to $41 plus shipping.

I have Sonar and all of it's goodies, Kontakt, a lot of purchased patches for Kontakt, as well as a number of other VSTis. I am still on the fence about getting ST3 as I don't know if i would use it or not. Any input you can give me would be helpful.
Quote:
I am still on the fence about getting ST3 as I don't know if i would use it or not. Any input you can give me would be helpful.

Yep, I would like more feedback as well. I have ST2 (along with all the Xpansion Tanks). But, yes would be curious to know how the sounds of ST3 compare against 1) ST2 and 2) Kontakt and Cakewalk libraries.

Thanks in advance.
There are a ton of YT vids about it. How it directly compares to other softsynths is a good question. I'm not seeing a great sale like this from NI so it's a moot point to me.

What I have managed to find out so far is the new libraries for ST3 are definitely better than ST2 plus the interface is much better. Of course the ST2 libraries will also work.

I'm not a uber nerd about this because I have some of the best hardware keyboards available if I really want to plug them in and use them with Biab. I find softsynths more convenient so I'm still interested in them. I think ST2 sounds pretty decent and probably would not spend $350 to upgrade it but $79 or even $99 and I have another keyboard to mess with is a different story.

Bob
I have had ST3 since release. I can tell you the quantity of sounds is incredible. There are more pianos and basses than I can scroll through and count. Add to that every kind of woodwind and string you can imagine as well as boys and girl choirs and oohs and aaahs. Drums and horns, including loops of both. and more and more sounds....

ST3 works flawlessly in Reaper as a VST. I have done songs with up to 6 - 8 instruments at one time. All the instruments can be tweeked to your hearts content. Did I mention ST3 also has a standalone mode so you can just use your keyboard to audition any of the sounds.

OK, so all that is great - right? But what about the sounds? Do they sound good? You know that line from the Phantom of the Opera where they all sing in unison, "But can she sing, can she sing?"

I have never been overly impressed with the sound quality of ST3. There I said it. But I attributed that more to the fact that I was playing the midi keys and don't know ### about how to use a controller.

But, like I said above, for this price I would buy it all again except for the fact that I already own it.
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I have had ST3 since release. I can tell you the quantity of sounds is incredible.

Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I have never been overly impressed with the sound quality of ST3.

I am trying to figure out whether it sounds good or not! smile
Does anyone know how ST3 compares to Kontakt both in quality and quantity? I already own Kontakt and have barely scratched the surface of what it provides (but I am a sucker for more samples at a great price!!)
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Does anyone know how ST3 compares to Kontakt both in quality and quantity? I already own Kontakt and have barely scratched the surface of what it provides (but I am a sucker for more samples at a great price!!)

I also have Kontakt and I asked the same question over on the Sonar forums. Consensus there is the ST3 does not sound as good as Kontakt.

I wonder about IK's pricing. IIRQ ST3 started at $350, then dropped to $250, then to $150 and now it is free with the purchased of a $59 mini keyboard. What am I missing here? Is ST3 worth hundreds of dollars or not? See why I am a little hesitant of purchasing?
OK this will start a war:

QUANTITY: SampleTank 3 double Kontakt 5 in quantity (on my PC anyway) :

- Kontakt FACTORY: number of NKI's (instruments) 1270 files with samples for those at 23.1 GB.

- SampleTank 3 FACTORY: number of .ST3I files (instruments, EXCLUDING ALL the ST 2 folders) 2470 and supporting samples (again excluding ST 2 "redux" samples) 25 GB's
[side bar: ST 2 that is included in ST 3 stuff: 1552 instruments @ 5.3 GB - again this is above and beyond numbers above]

But counts of instrument and numbers/size of samples don’t mean a much. And no bigger sample sets don’t mean BETTER sampling, better sound, or even better use of those samples in constructing a sound/instrument.

QUALITY: this is relative because NONE of these plug-in "ROMpler's" FACTORY only stuff will be used or generate the next platinum record. Actually no company has an incentive to give best of anything in FACTORY set because then potential future sales of aftermarket and add-ons drops.

I'm a little different than some here or at cakewalk - I agree that in general Kontakt is USUALLY better than ST3, and relative to ST2 it was a lot more true, but there are QUITE A FEW "six of one half-dozen of the other" coin flips between them - so it depends.

BOTH ST3 (I include ST 2 here as well) and Kontakt 5 are BETTER in both QUANTITY and QUALITY to Dim Pro (or now Rapture Pro) but that's not saying DP/RP are CRAP!

DP/RP are good and have workable bread and butter sounds and some nice beyond work-a-day sounds. If you include the Studio Instruments, as well as Sound Center and TTS-1, that comes with EVERY CW DAW (MC7 and all versions of Sonar) you got a nice rounded/working set of sounds. Again, you won't (probably) any grammy's with them

Off topic: Does anyone actually buy or recommend Dim Pro (or even Rap Pro) separately from Sonar anymore?

I still use a lot of external HW sounds that are BETTER than EITHER K5 or ST3 (which reminds me I can't wait for my new Montage 7 to arrive - end of month! grin )

MarioD

I don't remember ST3 ever being sold for $350. After introductory pricing the full price was $249 (see add below).

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4328

Actually its now $279 (full price not sale price) so price has gone UP, not down!

But yes - crossgrades and upgrades are a lot cheaper, but so are Kontakt's and frankly Kontakt 5 factory lib set is getting pretty long in the tooth sound wise.

Larry
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I also have Kontakt and I asked the same question over on the Sonar forums. Consensus there is the ST3 does not sound as good as Kontakt.

I wonder about IK's pricing. IIRQ ST3 started at $350, then dropped to $250, then to $150 and now it is free with the purchased of a $59 mini keyboard. What am I missing here? Is ST3 worth hundreds of dollars or not? See why I am a little hesitant of purchasing?

Thanks Mario! I'm thinking these software products are always subject to being dropped in price because once they exist there are no recurring costs. I'm thinking I'll get it because the price is cheap and if I only were to use it a couple of times for the "right" sound it would be worth it.
Larry, no war here! I'm just trying to decide what to do and everyone's input, pro and con of both ST3 and Kontakt, is welcomed.

I agree that Kontakt's factory library is getting old but you can purchase many other patches. I very rarely use the factory libs. Actually most factory libs are cut down versions of a better but more costly sample set.

I totally agree that Dim Pro/Rapture Pro suffer in sound quality. It is good to know that ST3 is better than that!

I got that $350 price from Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=sampletank+3

$100 is a huge price to pay for a DVD set!

Peace!
Larry, my man. You're getting the new Montage?? Damn, that board has a lot of guys drooling over at Keyboard Corner since NAMM. A lot of guys over there are B3 fanatics including me and the Montage hasn't improved Yamaha's clonewheel any but everything else is just killer. That's why I have my SK1 and a Vent.

Back on topic, I agree that Kontakt is an industry standard and I wouldn't be surprised if some serious audio geeks were to carefully go through several hundred instruments both solo'd and in a mix comparing them that K might win but from what I've heard ST3 is still very good and well worth it. The fact that IKM seems to be discounting it doesn't mean it's bad it could simply be a reflection of the market and it's hard to compete with the bigger names.

This is so subjective though. You can put a barely decent piano patch in a 10 piece horn band mix and never tell that patch is not as good as another but solo that piano with just an acoustic bass and it's a totally different story. Same with any of those other thousands of patches. It all depends on what you're doing, what the other instrumentation is, what you're looking for etc etc etc...

I'm buried in taxes right now and won't pick this up until the end of April but after that I'll test it out.

Bob
Bob,

Yep already traded my mint XS7 in so dealer could unload it quicker (still had protective cover over screen and I sent it off fully loaded with 2GB ram and a 120 GB HDD with "sounds" - plus I'm offering to split license transfer fee ($60 30/30) of Karma for Motif for new owner if they want Karma) so it should move quickly.

AND I got a killer deal on the Montage becasue the my long time "dealer" at local music store is going to a training class on them and he's getting a discount on the boards used in that training, so he's passing that on to me as well as they treat me right anyway (it's good to be a 30 year customer).

I'd get the 88 key one but my other two big boards are already 88 weighted and I really need a one good synth action in the mix, as it were.

Larry

I'll report nothing but bad stuff about it so you don't feel so badly grin
Oh gee thanks Larry, you're so kind...I just read you're entire sig. You're really a guitar player?

Got a connection for the new Kurz Artis? Strike that. I told myself this year I WILL NOT buy another keyboard until I sell something. I guess this little IKM thing doesn't count. I mentioned I'm an organ fanatic. I have a VK8, an XK1 and a Roland VR760 in addition to my current go to one the SK1. That doesn't count my PC3, the Korg, the Esynth. They're piling up man...

Bob
Due to "Life" interferences, vowed to NOT purchase more sound
libraries.

Thanks to some help I purchased Komplete 10(standard).

As a lot of you know I've done a lot of work with UserTracks.

Have Forte, which is actually a very good sounding Synth for
several voices.
Also all 5 of the SAMPLE TANK 2.5 synths libraries/control panels.
This has around 30 gig of sounds. Did use this quite a bit until
purchased Sonar 3 years ago.
Along with SoundPak purchases and additional CW purchases and upgrades have several of
their mainline synths. Was and still am reasonably happy with their sounds and libraries.

This is my opinion, nothing in fact, other that experience working
with the UserTracks.

There is some number of things that affect the sound quality and increase
smooth and non-distorted UserTracks.

Hands down the Komplete 10(standard) with many synths has great sounds
and abilities with UserTracks work.

Taking an opinion of only one fact, the size/contiguous build of each
instrument/voicing is the cats pajama's.

Most of the last series of UserTracks contain K10 in the titles.
I still have a lot more to learn regarding where all of the 12,000
samples and sounds reside.

I also have Addictive Keys, which has some excellent sounds, but the
Kontakt 5 synth alone competes closely with ADDKEY.

Bottom line, after I finish up the yearly pain in patootie am going
to purchase the SampleTank vs 3 with a tiny keyboard.

Many of you folks are guilty of helping me break the Vow.
Naw, no sweat.

Appreciate all of the comments and information.
Originally Posted By: seeker
Due to "Life" interferences, vowed to NOT purchase more sound
libraries.

Thanks to some help I purchased Komplete 10(standard).

As a lot of you know I've done a lot of work with UserTracks.

Have Forte, which is actually a very good sounding Synth for
several voices.
Also all 5 of the SAMPLE TANK 2.5 synths libraries/control panels.
This has around 30 gig of sounds. Did use this quite a bit until
purchased Sonar 3 years ago.
Along with SoundPak purchases and additional CW purchases and upgrades have several of
their mainline synths. Was and still am reasonably happy with their sounds and libraries.

This is my opinion, nothing in fact, other that experience working
with the UserTracks.

There is some number of things that affect the sound quality and increase
smooth and non-distorted UserTracks.

Hands down the Komplete 10(standard) with many synths has great sounds
and abilities with UserTracks work.

Taking an opinion of only one fact, the size/contiguous build of each
instrument/voicing is the cats pajama's.

Most of the last series of UserTracks contain K10 in the titles.
I still have a lot more to learn regarding where all of the 12,000
samples and sounds reside.

I also have Addictive Keys, which has some excellent sounds, but the
Kontakt 5 synth alone competes closely with ADDKEY.

Bottom line, after I finish up the yearly pain in patootie am going
to purchase the SampleTank vs 3 with a tiny keyboard.

Many of you folks are guilty of helping me break the Vow.
Naw, no sweat.

Appreciate all of the comments and information.

I had almost talked myself out of it Frank! But if you're in...I'm in!

I have Komplete 9 and I am still very amazed at how much cool stuff is in there! But you never know when a little more would help with that new song, right? laugh
Man, you guys really do have terminal GAS...

I thought I was bad. Looking forward to your impressions of it and how you think it compares to your other stuff.

Bob
Mario

The "war" wasn't over your price delta's you noted it was over K5 vs ST3. I figured to get some heat over how I like ST3 more than most folks, part of that is I think it's more convenient to use as well.

But yea that's a large price delta Sweetwater vice IK direct (ST 3 page) BUT my humble apologies anyway since I just READ IK's AD for their "Fully Loaded Workstation" at IK, your ARE RIGHT IK itself claims ST3 is a "$349 value" - so both Peace and UNCLE!! blush

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/promos/?item_id=8323

But right now, as you noted: $59 will get you a "thingambod" (a mini 25 key keyboard - that I'd break in a single day, I have hams for hands so it woudl end up a paper weight) AND FULL ST3

I think that's a no brainier deal no matter what normal MSRP is (or isn't?).

FOR 60 bucks even if you hate IK, IK Authorization, and didn't like ST 2.5 I can't believe someone couldn't find 60 bucks worth of usable/likeable ST3 sounds [plus the bigger ST3 interface is kinder to old eyes (like mine) than ST 2 or Kontakt (when browsing for instruments)]

Larry
I fell down the stairs hit my head, then proceeded to come back up
and purchased the 37 key package.

Have any of you made the purchase and received the queue to download
the libraries ?

By the way I feel better, but receiving the software with cure me completely.

Thank you.
Given how ST 2.5 XL came with my iRig Keys Pro last year (I didn't need a 3rd copy)

when I got the HW and registered it, is WHEN I got the 3rd copy of ST 2.5 added to my user area for download

but it could be different now
Larry
Originally Posted By: seeker
I fell down the stairs hit my head, then proceeded to come back up
and purchased the 37 key package.

Have any of you made the purchase and received the queue to download
the libraries ?

By the way I feel better, but receiving the software with cure me completely.

Thank you.

Frank, I just bought the 37 key too! They say you get your download after you register the keyboard. And I assumed I cannot register until I get the keyboard.
Thanks for help.
I was told 3-5 days for board delivery.
Think I can make it...
mine arrived...registered it online...immediately got SampleTank 3 in my products area...downloading now...

QUESTION: Is there any reason to also download the SampleTank 3 SE that appeared in my products section?
Now need to download ST3 SE or its sound libraries - unless you just like to watch downloads or want partially redundant ST 3 sound libs (same sounds just fewer, about 75% fewer) .

This is like if you have/had ST 2.5 XL no need to get ST2.5L, XT, or Free libs (same stuff just less or a whole lot less of it)

Larry
FWIW.... The Keyboard Registration number is on a little Card in
the shipping box......

Duh wasted over an hour until I read the Faq guide.....

Am downloading now...only have 4-5 meg speed.
But part of the "fun"...
To J3 that was suppose to read "NO need to download ST 3 SE..."

Not the as written "NOW need..."

But hopefully you already figured out my fat finger typo by now
You're supposed to proof read it before hitting the button, not test the proof by drinking it...<grin>

Bob
Can you really smell the Oban 18 over the web?
Well after some number of hours....ST3 with library is functional with
BIAB.

On install, I opted for all plugin types. They were stuck into, methinks 3 places.

My lack of specific instrument variation types leave me in the dark a bit.
The sounds are very good.
A + is the quick abilities to load an instrument.

I'm partial to NI libraries, but have not figured out how to access
its entirety.

Mistake made in purchase was NOT getting the 37 FULL size keyboard.
It was only $20 more. Got the 37 mini.

With shipping was $95.change.

Have loaded bass and a piano with BIAB demo, but didn't think
appropriate to post. This is not a IK site.

No regrets, but no "Snoopy" dances.

Copy/Paste from IK website promo ad for iRigKeys37;

"When you register your iRig Keys 37, you’ll also get a bundle of free instrument collections that you can use to expand your creativity even further. You get The Grid, a collection of cutting-edge electronic construction kit and drum kit sounds plus 5 instrument collections of your choosing from our Beats and Elektronika electronic music series (choose and download from IK User Area).

My user download area is missing the selection for me to choose 5 instrument collections. (All else seems good though). I contacted IK support and waiting for reply. Is anyone else missing these?
Tobias

I have my ST3 package, but did not see,
or in turn get the 5 extra goodies.

Of course am interested.....FREE is a great word.

Thanks.
Yeah...me too! I didn't get any extra freebies with my recent ST3 purchase but I want them!!!
I just checked and I seem to have the following new items in my products area,

- SampleTank 3
- SampleTank 3 SE
- AmpliTube Custom Shop
- The Grid
- SampleTank Custom Shop

I downloaded SampleTank 3 but not the others. Should I get those too?

Just noticed SampleTank 3 has a Related Downloads link. I guess I should get those too?
- Steel Drums Sound content
- Sound Library Update
I have always said, "You know when you have too may plugins and VSTs when you got so many you don't know what you got!" When I got to that point I stop buying and downloading.
You don't need Sampletank SE (waste since it's a lite version, content wise of full ST3)

The Grid is free add-in for ST3 -but I'm not much for beat loops, "dubstep", hip-hop , etc. "arps" or loops

The two "custom shops" are just updates to THE custom shop list of NEW stuff you can buy (visit it ST2 or ST3 or AmpliTube 3 or 4 or T-Racks

Teh Custom Shop has current list of all available things you can buy (that's why ever once in a while when you go there from inside ST, AT or T-tracks- it will tell you to UPDATE it), and what you OWN, and what you don't own. You need to log into the Custom Shop (using IK log in).

As mentioned check the "Promotions" in your User area - there will be some other free stuff for ST3 you can get once you register iRig Keys

Larry

EDIT missed this first time
YES you need to get the Sound Library Update 3.5 - and run it AFTER installing ST 3 and all the downloaded sound libraries

while your at it - pay attention to teh date on your "Sounds Download" line that has those 2 to 4 GB "SampleTank_3_Sound_Content_Part_1.zip" through "SampleTank_3_Sound_Content_Part_8.zip" files you spent so much time downloading.
Those links EXPIRE in 6 months (180 days)! and after that you have to PAY a fee to re-establish.

So once they are downloaded, installed, and you are sure the zips were complete and good - BACK THEM UP somewhere!! this goes for ALL IK sound content. The basic program(s) (ST, Miroslav, SampleTron, etc. ) and any and all program files and updates are always available but NOT the SOUND content library's, this includes any additional sound libs you might purchase for ST 2 or 3.

EDIT to the EDIT

don't forget to check the "Related Downloads" link under ST3 (that's where the Steel Drums are. I got them too earlier today in an email and I didn't participate in the "Loaded Workstation" promotion)

this also applies to anyone with Miro 2 (they added a Concert Harp in the "sounds download" area a few weeks ago)
Bumping this up to inform people that there's only two days left for this deal.

I got my Irig Pro 37 delivered yesterday and just now went to IKM's website only to see a message "We are busy updating our website and will be back shortly".

Not like I'm busy or anything...

Bob
Reading your post way after you posted it I tried the IK website and it is working (again).
I just got a great deal on Komplete 10. Is there any reason at all to have Sample Tank also ? (as you can see - I'm on another equipment buying binge).
Originally Posted By: Joe V
I just got a great deal on Komplete 10. Is there any reason at all to have Sample Tank also ? (as you can see - I'm on another equipment buying binge).

FWIW-I have Kontakt and FM8. I evaluated the full version of ST3 and decided it was not worth it, even during that big give away. I did get the free version so I could load my old ST2.5 stuff into it but I was not impressed with the sounds that came with it. YMMV.
Thanks MarioD. - your opinion means a lot to me : )
I just got a great deal on Komplete 10.

what was the deal
can others benefit

I also own Komplete but when I saw I could get the entire Sample Tank 3 for free by spending only $59 on a keyboard? No brainer! I love lots of the samples included in ST3, especially the MIDI pattern libraries they have included!
Yes, the IKM website is back up and I just registered my keyboard. ST3 and the sound libraries are in my user area.

Bob
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
I just got a great deal on Komplete 10.
Komplete 10...
what was the deal
can others benefit

I'm sorry Mike - I should have mentioned I picked it up used on Craigslist - hopeful that the license transfer goes through (a little trust on both sides for this sale).

I believe someone in a previous post mentioned that NI only goes on sale 1 or 2x per year - I will try and find and post it. I've not seen the initial purchase version for less than $400.
MarioD, how did you get a full evaluation copy of the ENTIRE SampleTank 3 library? I didn't know IK had ever allowed or gave out full evaluation copies Or did you mean you bought it?

I don’t think ST3 is bad, I think it's actually pretty good! No it is not world class in any category, but neither are Kontakt 5 FACTORY offerings, and that's ALL I'm comparing - FACTORY libraries only.

Larry
I've not seen the initial purchase version for less than $400.

This is the whole point of this ST3 sale. The question is not how do the sounds compare to this one or that one. The question is how do the sounds compare with something you can get for more or less $100? Even used and you really got lucky I'll bet this is the best sound library you'll ever find for that kind of money. Plus the interface, plus all the midi loops and grooves.

Bob
Hi Jazz
I just saw ur post and bought an irigs.Do I have to do anything else to get the Sampletank 3 full version?or will it come with it?
Thanks Hugh
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
MarioD, how did you get a full evaluation copy of the ENTIRE SampleTank 3 library? I didn't know IK had ever allowed or gave out full evaluation copies Or did you mean you bought it?

I don’t think ST3 is bad, I think it's actually pretty good! No it is not world class in any category, but neither are Kontakt 5 FACTORY offerings, and that's ALL I'm comparing - FACTORY libraries only.

Larry

I did not get a full copy of ST3 to evaluate. I listened to some of their audios and read how others either liked or disliked on other forums. After I got the ST3SE I listened to what was offered and thought it wasn't worth it. I still think Kontakt is a better deal because of the extra sounds you can purchase from both NI and third party sources but YMMV.

FWIW I think that if one has Kontakt one does not need ST3, but this is only my opinion. You may disagree but that is fine.
Like I said YMMV as sound sources are a very independent and personal thing. What I think is great others may think is junk, and visa-versa.

peace
Hugh, inside the box is a registration card. You log into your account at the IKM website (create one if you don't have one). As soon as you register your purchase the downloads for ST3 along with the sound libraries automagically appear in your User Area.

They have a customer forum just like this one here. Since time is short get on that forum if you're having any issues, don't wait for someone to reply here.

Bob
BTW, I had to wait for my hardware to arrive, register it, only then I could download the software and libraries. So, I did not get to play with the software while waiting for my iRigKeys37 to arrive. Some of the free software was found in my "Promotions" area.
I have got 32 bit windows 7 so think I am limited to using Sampletank 2.5 only as 3 is only 64 bit.

Just wondering though how would others rate Sampletank sounds in comparison to Dimensions Pro which I have got as well? There seems to be a whole bundle of really good stuff in Dimensions pro.

Sort of reached the stage that I feel I really don't need any more samples unless they are free, its what I should do with the existing samples both in biab and Dimensions pro and a limited Sampletank 2.5 that matters.

Musiclover
You're correct but maybe this is the incentive you need to upgrade to 64 bit?

Also, a bunch of legacy ST2 sound libraries are on sale for $5.

Bob
Disclaimer upfront as a caveat emptor: I have tinnitus in both ears so YIMV (I'm coining a new "artiest" warning, becasue we need one for subjective things like sound quality so YIMV = Your Interpretation May Vary)

I have ST 2.5 and 3, Dim Pro, Rapture Pro (which brings in Dim Pro now - and Kontakt 5 and UVI, and...)

Yes I think ST 2.5 is better. But Dim Pro has ability to do some nice analog synth work plus some of the add-ins are nice, even some stock sounds are perfectly fine but ST 2.5 is, IMHO, BETTER "on the whole."

Note however, if all you have is the very small sampling that comes with ST 2 free than NO Dim Pro is MUCH better becasue, Dim Pro comes with a FULL library and it does have some good sounds. ST 2.5 also came (no longer sold only ST3)with a full library if you bought it, as does Kontakt 5 if you buy it: you get what you pay for!

But beyond SOUND differences they are DIFFERENT "synths" structurally. e.g., ST 2 can do 16 FULL patches at once - Dim pro, becasue they are actually elements of sounds not necessarily individual patches, can only do four parts at most without another instantiatation of Dim Pro.

Larry
I find it's not a matter of if one is better than the other (I mean, come on, each one has thousands of sounds - is IK Multimedia's (Sampletank/Miroslav/SampleMoog/SampleTron/SonicSynth) thousands of sounds better than Native Instrument's (Kontakt libraries) thousands of sounds better than Garritan's Aria Player(GPO/IO/COMB/JABB/etc) thousands of sounds better than Cakewalk's (DimPro/RapturePro/SI/CSC)?

They each process sound different, provide different interfaces and different abilities to tweak. So for me, it's not so much which one is better, because each one is different. Each has strengths and weaknesses. But I find some go-to sounds in each of the libraries. Interestingly, though, I can honestly say I've never actually uses "thousands" of sounds in any of my music. But there are some really cool ones that I'd like, but just can't find the time to incorporate them.

Right now, I am concerned though that, for example in the case of the Aria Player, it the interface doesn't fit into theRealBand VSTi window. Hopefully this will get fixed soon, as more and more interfaces start uses more screen real estate, as they increase their features.
Thanks For the post and help.Its a great deal for me I was looking longingly at sampletank3 and I needed a midi keyboard.Win Win.Looking forward to have them at my disposal,Hugh
So I missed my Sampletank deal - and my NI Komplete deal turned out to be a shady .edu license.

The consensus seemed to be that NI has higher quality sounds - I'll just have to wait for the sale, or plunk out the $400 or $500 dollars : )
NI has a Komplete sale RIGHT NOW

IK has a half off ST3 (but yep you missed a great $60 deal for full ST3 that went on for 2 months!) (they have another sale on AmpliTube 4, I suspect Miroslav Philharmonik 2 will be next - LOL) -

MarioD just posted a link to DSK in another thread. Some good sounds in multiple formats for $25. Add to that the fact that and since Sampletank 3 Custom Shop (FREE) allows you to import Sampletank 2 sounds that's one format you may want ditto FREE Kontakt Player, ditto FREE Plouge sfz player (which plays SFZ or SF2).

Frankly I agree with John's last comment to "someone" (me I think) - each lib brings good and useful stuff to the table: no ONE library/app covers it all or covers it as the "last word" in best/quality for a GIVEN soundscape or song.

Larry
Hi I just got my midi keyboard and registered the product but Sampletank full version hasnt appeared in my products area or promotions .It took 10 days to get to me I wonder did that effect anything or would anyone have any ideas where I could download it
Thanks Hugh
Hugh - If you ordered it in time, you should get the links. If they aren't in your user area, I would contact IKMultimedia and ask what the deal is.
What John said -

IK should have a record of when bought - so I'm sure they will fix you up

good luck
Larry
Thanks Guys
I sent them off a note.I never bought anything off them before so I was sure what they were like to deal with.
So hopefully I get it sorted thanks again for your reply its much appreciated Hugh
Thanks John
That worked perfect with sampletank.They put in my products area a couple of days later.Its great to have it Hugh
thanks Larry
Yeah they sorted it out fairly quickly
Yours Hugh
© PG Music Forums