PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 12:03 PM
Hi All

With all this talk of covers on this forum, here a plug of my latest album that has just been released on all major digital platforms.

In June my friend and band mate from 20 years ago, Karen Wilmot, came to visit me in Johannesburg and said "Hey why don't we record an album"! So we went through my repertoire of about 300 songs and selected 20 that we both knew and loved. We then recorded her vocals and then she went off back to Oman to a new job. Over the next few months I added my vocals and harmonies, mixed all the tracks, whittled away the iffy ones and this album is the result.

The backtracks were made using the song style filter function that is the topic of this very interesting thread.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=372393#Post372393

In most of the cases I have tried to NOT sound like the original.

All of these cover songs are legally licensed through Unique Music and The Orchard. If anyone is interested in learning how I go about legally releasing these covers send me a PM. Thank you to Don Gaynor for the feedback on the album. It is much appreciated.

01 My broken souvenirs
02 Killing me softly
03 Stand by me
04 Imagine
05 Sitting on the dock of the bay
06 Coming down in the rain
07 Make you feel my love
08 Night riders Lament
09 Out on the weekend
10 Theres a kind of hush
11 Wonderwall
12 Last cigarette
13 Loving arms
14 Castles in the air
15 What a wonderful world
16 Forget it

I would love to hear which is your favourite!

Edited to add: PS, the name of the album is "Alice Band 20 years on..."

Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 02:39 PM
Joanne,

Great news on the album release! Looking forward to listening to it smile

~Callie
Posted By: jford Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 04:02 PM
Joanne -

I gotta tell you that after listening to these great songs, there is one song that I think you would do serious justice to (and one of my favorites - of course, my friends keep telling me they're all my favorites because I just love music). That would be Skeeter Davis' "End Of The World".
Posted By: MarioD Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Joanne -

I gotta tell you that after listening to these great songs, there is one song that I think you would do serious justice to (and one of my favorites - of course, my friends keep telling me they're all my favorites because I just love music). That would be Skeeter Davis' "End Of The World".

I agree with John.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 06:37 PM
There is a potato chip (crisp) advert which says: "Nobody can eat just one!" That's true of your music too. Nobody can choose just one!

I consider you to be the ambassador of PG Music and I've marveled at your advancement in songwriting, singing, guitar playing, and entertaining. Your fans are growing exponentially because you radiate sincerity and love.

I've noticed that you are generally first to throw a lifeline to fellow BIAB users. That does not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Donny
Posted By: MarioD Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
There is a potato chip (crisp) advert which says: "Nobody can eat just one!" That's true of your music too. Nobody can choose just one!

I consider you to be the ambassador of PG Music and I've marveled at your advancement in songwriting, singing, guitar playing, and entertaining. Your fans are growing exponentially because you radiate sincerity and love.

I've noticed that you are generally first to throw a lifeline to fellow BIAB users. That does not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Donny

You are not the only one who has noticed!

She is one talented lady!
Posted By: lambada Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/02/16 09:01 PM
Only listened to a couple of tracks so far (Stand by Me and Killing Me Softly), but I love what I'm hearing. I really find the harmonies beautiful and there is some great use of modern techniques floating around. BIAB is very subtle too. Love it!

At some point, I'd love to know how you sorted out legally releasing covers. Who knows, maybe one day. :-)

Edit

I have now listened to the whole CD several times and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 07:05 AM
Joanne listening now - just a quick note - the Youtube page for Make You Feel My Love says it's a Garth Brooks song - but it's one of my favourite Dylan songs (I assume Garth Brooks covered it? Billy Joel also did a nice version).

You have done a very enjoyable version.

The ones I've listened all sound very nice. A good solid selection of tracks.
I don't know but really liked Loving Arms.

Peter
Posted By: receder Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 07:19 AM
Don is right! It's so hard to choose just one.

I love the treatment you have given to all of the songs I have listened to so far (about half way through).

...but if I had to choose, my favourite 2 so far are:

Killing Me Softly (sweet harmonies)
What a Wonderful World

All the best,
Jez
P.S. John's song suggestion would be a great one. Another favourite of mine is Bonnie Raitt's "The Dimming of the Day". Love the harmonies.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: receder
Don is right! It's so hard to choose just one.

I love the treatment you have given to all of the songs I have listened to so far (about half way through).

...but if I had to choose, my favourite 2 so far are:

Killing Me Softly (sweet harmonies)
What a Wonderful World

All the best,
Jez
P.S. John's song suggestion would be a great one. Another favourite of mine is Bonnie Raitt's "The Dimming of the Day". Love the harmonies.

I was going to recommend "Dimming Of The Day" to Josie as sung by Emmylou Harris and Mary Black, two of Jo's favo(u)rite female vocalists.

@Jez, is your last name Wakefield, per chance? Jezzer Wakefield, Mac of this forum, and I go way back. You needn't give your name if it's not you. Jezzer was from London and knew recording in detail.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 09:56 AM
I really liked all of them, but "Imagine" always hits home with me! Awesome rendition!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 10:29 AM
Callie, John, Mario, Don, Lambada, Peter, Jez (Receder) and Mike.
Thank you so much for listening and for your kind comments.

John thank you for reminding me of "The end of the world". I will definitely do a cover of that. I love that song! I really enjoy getting recommendations on what covers I should do because half the time I have forgotten about songs that I used to know quite well. "Mother of mine" was one of those.

Peter, Make you feel my love.... I generally just put the person who first made the song famous in the video title. This makes the song easily discover-able by people searching on Youtube. Eg. Killing me softly was written in collaboration with Lori Lieberman who released it before Roberta Flack. Flack's version made the song famous. it probably wouldn't help me much if I had put "Killing me softly by Lori Liberman in the title. So this is a tough one. Who made this song famous? Probably Adele? I did not know that Billy Joel covered it. Have just listened. Nice version!

Rec. I do cover "Dimming of the day" but I need to redo the backing. It was a little "slow"
Posted By: jford Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 12:14 PM
And interestingly, "There's A Kind Of Hush" brings Herman's Hermits to mind for me (although Karen Carpenter did a great job on it as well).

There's just something about the way Peter Noone enunciates the word "hush" that just makes it for me.

Again, great work Joanne!
Posted By: receder Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

I was going to recommend "Dimming Of The Day" to Josie as sung by Emmylou Harris and Mary Black, two of Jo's favo(u)rite female vocalists.

@Jez, is your last name Wakefield, per chance? Jezzer Wakefield, Mac of this forum, and I go way back. You needn't give your name if it's not you. Jezzer was from London and knew recording in detail.

Ah I love Mary Black and Emmylou Harris but I haven't heard their version (will seek it out online though).
I remember buying Mary Black's Shine album and playing it non-stop for months (love her track Katie). I notice that she has a best of album out with a track called Sonny by Mary Black, Emmylou Harris and Dolores Keane (I listened to this online and one of them sounds remarkably like you Joanne).

Sorry Don I'm not Jezzer Wakefield.

All the best,
Jez
Posted By: receder Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper

"Mother of mine" was one of those.

Rec. I do cover "Dimming of the day" but I need to redo the backing. It was a little "slow"

Hi Joanne,

I love "Mother of Mine" too. As well as Neil Reid's version, Hayley Westenra did a lovely rendition.

I will look forward to your version of "Dimming of the Day" grin

Jez
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/03/16 01:19 PM
This is awesome, Joanne. Definitely going to be a great soundtrack to my day smile Thanks for sharing with us! Ps. the dog on the cover is too cute...
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/05/16 07:28 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
And interestingly, "There's A Kind Of Hush" brings Herman's Hermits to mind for me (although Karen Carpenter did a great job on it as well).

Well, this is an education. I have just listened to that version. Nice. I suppose it boils down to who you listened to growing up and I grew up listening to a lot of Carpenters!

I remember buying Mary Black's Shine album and playing it non-stop for months (love her track Katie). I notice that she has a best of album out with a track called Sonny by Mary Black, Emmylou Harris and Dolores Keane (I listened to this online and one of them sounds remarkably like you Joanne).

Love Mary Black. I do a cover of Sonny. Have been listening to Mary Black's 25 years 25 songs. Katie is definitely a winner. I am going to try and learn that one. Also love Wonder Child and Rose of Allendale.

I love "Mother of Mine" too. As well as Neil Reid's version, Hayley Westenra did a lovely rendition.

Jez

Have just listened to Hayley Westenra's version. What a voice!
Funnily enough many of those songs are on my "shortish list" that I am brainstormed recently for my next album. Here it is for interests sake. (Only going to be starting this in 2017)

1. Mr Tambourine man
2. Greensleeves
3. Four strong winds
4. Tomorrow is a long time
5. 500 miles
6. I know I'll never find another you
7. Amazing grace
8. Scarborough fair
9. Mother of Mine
10. Sonny
11. Perhaps love
12. The Carnival is Over
13. Its only a paper moon
14. Somewhere over the rainbow
15. Hello in there
16. Tecumseh Valley
17. Angel from Montgomery
18. Mr Bojangles
19. Teach your children
20. Early morning rain
21. Blowin' in the wind
23. Edelweiss
24. I could have danced all night
25. The water is wide
26. Wayfaring stranger

Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Ps. the dog on the cover is too cute...

Hi Will, that would be my gorgeous dog Findlay who always accompanies me on all my photo and video shoots.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/05/16 08:16 AM
Great job on this Josie. The songs were all excellent so the best way for me to choose came down to selecting a song that stood out from the list as a favorite song - Loving Arms was it for me. All are so good.

Charlie
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/05/16 09:32 AM
Josie, another song suggestion that is popular at weddings is Anne Murray's "Could I Have This Dance". You would absolutely OWN it!

On "Teach Your Children", CSN&Y use a PSG that literally grabs my ears. Can't wait to hear your rendition.

https://youtu.be/EkaKwXddT_I

Jerry Garcia is playing the PSG.

Donny
Posted By: dani48 Re: Talking about covers...... - 11/05/16 07:39 PM
Hi, Joanne !

Congratulations on a
superb record !

I have to agree with those
who have said that it is
very difficult to pick a favourite
out of these marvellous pieces
but, if I have to, I think it could
be Wonderwall . but, I want to point
out that they are all absolutely
wonderful in every aspect ! You know
that I just love those harmonies
you and Karen can produce when duetting !
Absolutely fantastic !

I hope that you will have great success
with this lovely record !

Take Care
Dani
© PG Music Forums