PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 03:04 AM
I've finally finished Britannia Rag. I had a lot of trouble with this one; my only resource was a crackly YouTube video to learn it from, so there's quite a few notes that are incorrect.

Please click here

Any comments, as always, will be appreciated. Thank for listening
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 03:49 AM
I enjoyed that Keith. I couldn't tell which notes were wrong and I seriously doubt if anyone else could either.

Excellent per usual.

Don S.
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 03:59 AM
Very clever and nice composition, Keith. I really love ragtime, too. I didn't hear any "wrong" notes either. Have you every heard Miles Davis' famous quote: "Mistakes? There are none." I was surprised to discover what people don't hear. I made a blooper in a tune that almost caused me to miss some following notes as I said to myself, "S__t!" I asked a couple of very good brass players about it and they had not even heard it. Just keep on keeping on. When I was playing your piece, my wife, a piano player, came running into the room just to listen; She likes it, too.

Stan
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 04:22 AM
Thank you for listening Don & Stan. I appreciate your kind comments.
I guess the notes aren't really "wrong'...just "misplaced"
Stan, I'm glad your wife came running INTO the room instead of OUT of the room!!!!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 09:20 AM
Keith, thanks that woke me up this morning!
I didn't spot any wrong-uns, but then I'm a guitarist and if we hit any we just play 'em again straight away ("er, I meant that...") or call them 'jazzers'!
Winnie would have loved it.
Nice work.

John
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 09:42 AM
Quote:

Winnie would have loved it. John

Thank you for the kind words, John. Winnie was my first piano hero; my parents had a few scratchy old 78s of hers, and I played them over & over. She was fantastic.

I was fortunate enough to see her live in the late 1960s, when my Mum snuck me into a concert of hers. Fantastic.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 09:51 AM
Lovely rendition, Keith. Way to go!
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 10:41 AM
Great work Keith! I doubt if anyone could pick up on a 'different phrase'. A great listen. Incidentally......I'm ALWAYS 'adapting' in my solos! Regards, Joe G.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 12:43 PM
Hi Keith,
Great song. Well played. I always enjoy your playing.
Quote:

so there's quite a few notes that are incorrect.

I took the liberty of listing them all for the forum members!
Keith's Clinkers!

Mick
Posted By: MarioD Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 01:01 PM
Keith that was fantastic!

Wrong or misplaced notes? Where? I didn’t hear any!

This is a keeper.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 05:07 PM
Keith,
Wonderful rendition. I've never heard the original, but this is pro grade all the way. I couldn't hear any wrong notes either, but then we know what mistakes, or wrong stuff we did, but others never hear them.

I am impressed by your skills on the piano. I only wish that I had practiced when I was a child, and kept at it over the years. You are an excellent musician, sir, and this is an excellent piece.

I went back and found the YouTube video of her playing that song, and then I was looking at some of the other videos available of her, and she was quite a talented piano player, I am duly impressed with her, and impressed with you that you could take that song and transcribe it by ear to come out with what you did.

Bravo!

Gary
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/20/09 11:48 PM
Martin, Joe, Mario - Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement. I was probably a little paranoid about trying to replicate the original note for note. Perhaps I should call it “my rendition” or "my interpretation”. That can cover a multitude of sins.

Mick – ya got me…. I went to the link. April Fool!!

Gary - thank you – she was an amazing lady. If you get a chance, have a look at her page on Wikapedia. It’s an interesting read.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/21/09 01:32 AM
very nicely done, keith. i think we often have a heightened awareness of our own 'klunkers' but others don't even notice them. i really enjoyed it as i do all of your tunes. your piano style reminds me a lot of del (Adelaide) wood (qv) on grand ole opry when i was but a wee bit of a bucko. and that, sir, is a grand compliment indeed. more please.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/21/09 01:50 AM
Thank you Don. I didn't think I'd ever heard of Del Wood, but I just had a look through my CD collection and found a track of her playing "Down Yonder" from a bargain box country CD set that I bought a few years ago.
Your comparsion is humbling. Thank you.
Posted By: Mac Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/21/09 02:06 AM
Good job. But you know that already (smile).

Keep at it, we'll make a full Stride Pianist outta you yet!

--Mac
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/21/09 02:11 AM
Thanks Mac. All I gotta do is grow another arm and another set of eyes.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/21/09 02:43 AM
And that ladies & germs, is ragtime at it's best!

Later,
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/24/09 03:52 AM
Thank you very much Danny.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/24/09 04:25 AM
keith,
i think 'down yonder' was del's 'signature piece' but the version on youtube is awful. i hope your cd sounds better than that.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/24/09 08:29 AM
My CD copy is good, Don. BTW, you have an email.
Posted By: Luvs3rds Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/25/09 05:09 AM
Keith;

Man oh man, that was good. I guess I haven't been around long enough to know that you could play like that!!
10++

Gene
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/26/09 11:11 AM
Thank you Gene. Your comments, as with all of the others, are greatly appreciated.
I couldn't have done it without BIAB.
Posted By: furry Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/26/09 02:32 PM
Love it mate, really got me feets tapping that did. Wrong notes ??? Naaaaaa, never spotted nuthin '
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Britannia Rag - Finally - 06/28/09 01:35 AM
Thank you Graham.
© PG Music Forums