PG Music Home
Posted By: Lawrie something a little different... - 06/29/09 03:18 AM
G'day all,
I'm still on a high from last Saturday night (Oz time).

Just finished a VERY short season (7 shows) of G&S "Pirates of Penzance" (the Papp version). Had the opportunity of playing the 'bone part in the orchestra and had an absolute ball.

The show was put on by the "Wyong Musical Theatre Company" and they did a first rate job. The following article was printed before the show started.

http://express-advocate-wyong.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/pirates-life-for-wyong-players/

The young lass in the right, Suzanne, has a wonderful soprano voice which she used very effectively as "Mabel". The guy in the Middle, Mat, played Frederic and has a good strong voice too. Did a terrific job.

The chap who played Major-General Stanley, Marc Calwell, did the most amazing job of the Major-Generals song and in the final show let it really rip for the "very fast" reprise. I'm told he managed to shorten it by 30 seconds! - All I know is my slide was smokin' !!! His articulation has to be heard to be believed, the audience absolutely erupted calling for more in the middle of the show! They didn't get it of course as it would have interrupted the flow of the show but it was exciting just the same. We sold out every show (well almost, a couple of shows {2 or 3} were about 10 seats short of sold out) and for the last two shows we had to bring in extra seating.

The whole presentation was truly excellent and considering the limited budget was really very, very well done. The entire cast were fantastic and though I've highlighted a couple of the leads, they couldn't have done nearly as good a job were it not for the supporting actors. A really first rate job!

Most of you probably don't know but the majority of my playing is in my church, which I quite enjoy but can sometimes be limited in variety. Recently I've been able to expand on this, firstly with a student big band ('bout 4, maybe 5 years ago) and now musical theatre. This is my 4th show playing in musicals in less than a year, 3 with Gosford Musical Society and this one with Wyong. I'm really looking forward to more opportunities and hope to play "Cats" later this year (the current 'bone player is trying out for the pit choir - hope he gets it as it will leave the chair open), and Mikado early next year, both with Gosford. Wyong are doing Grease next and I don't think there's a 'bone part

The pit at Gosford is, unfortunately, UNDER the stage, is very small, and we can't see squat. The Wyong theatre is much plainer, but the orchestra sits in front of the stage (we had a catwalk around us so we were actually in the MIDDLE of all the action for Pirates) and could see everything as well as being able to interact more effectively.

It's all very exciting! Can you tell I had a good time?
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 04:06 AM
Yes, you sound like you most certainly did have a good time.

Congrats on your achievments, and the opportunity to play for others like that.

Gary
Posted By: David Eugene Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 05:53 AM
It does sound like a lot of fun. Glad you had a good time. I played bass for a couple of small shows put on by a small local theatre group and enjoyed both. I too played many years in a church and got the gigs because the church music director and her husband managed the theatre group. Pardon me for not being "with it" but are the bones you are referring to piano keys?
Posted By: Lawrie Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 05:56 AM
G'day Dave,
a 'bone is a Trombone. Please excuse my carelessness with the language. I should never assume that everyone else understands the short forms I commonly use.
Posted By: mglinert Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 07:33 AM
THanks a lot for this Lawrie.
Glad to hear that it went so well and that you had so much fun
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 07:34 AM
That's great Lawrie, I'm pleased that the shows went well, and you had a good time doing it.
Yes, we can tell you're excited.
Posted By: Rutabago Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 01:30 PM
Hey I feel good. I knew he meant trombone.
Hank
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: something a little different... - 06/29/09 11:21 PM
lawrie, i like the song "a policeman's lot is not a happy one" did you do that one?
Posted By: Lawrie Re: something a little different... - 06/30/09 12:01 AM
Quote:

lawrie, i like the song "a policeman's lot is not a happy one" did you do that one?

Yup, though in our score it wasn't titled separately but included in a section called "It's Too Late Now" - certainly the song is the same - good fun on the 'bone - all those little "dirty" glisses
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: something a little different... - 06/30/09 02:23 PM
Hey that's not fair! No music recordings? I'd love to hear that one. I like these types of shows. I'm going to have to see if the movie is still around to it. Has Ronstadt as Mabel. She used to be one hot singing girl in her younger days.
Posted By: Lawrie Re: something a little different... - 06/30/09 02:52 PM
Quote:

Hey that's not fair! No music recordings? I'd love to hear that one. I like these types of shows.

Yeah, I understand, but copyright, you know... The original G&S version is well out of copyright, BUT...

Quote:

I'm going to have to see if the movie is still around to it. Has Ronstadt as Mabel. She used to be one hot singing girl in her younger days.

That's the version we played, and the arrangement has an unexpired copyright
© PG Music Forums