PG Music Home
Posted By: HearToLearn Walmart Music - 02/18/17 01:50 PM
Does anyone know anything much about Walmart music that plays in their stores? I believe it's their own service but don't know for sure.

I am mostly curious how they go about finding the material that they play.

Thanks all!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 02:10 PM
https://play.google.com/music/preview/pl/AMaBXykemfFzbGcytfqasbnTcfZurIKf5cZTl0M4ZVjvi1PlXy8JF127ClnibbepZjQ-3qrdzOUpltde7s5n6n5I80eaPKuwkg==

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 02:20 PM
Thanks Bob. I found a similar one

Walmart Playlist

but am not sure how old that would be. I would be REALLY curious to find one for today.

Thanks
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 04:25 PM
Checking the first link, a quick look at the 437 songs on the list I recognize less than 15; Little Richard, Elton John, Simon & Garfunkel, Janis Jiplin, Elvis.
I guess I'm dating myself.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 04:32 PM
Here you go Caaron. Walmart is no longer using one of the many retailer instore radio services out there. Click the link below to the blog page and then click on the comments. You'll see the number you can actually call for requests.

http://blog.walmart.com/opportunity/20160331/meet-the-new-voices-of-walmart-radio
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 06:01 PM
Ya'll are better at searches than I am! Thanks for the help!

I keep digging, but am trying to find a list of songs played today (or by date).

I'm going a bit crazy trying to find it...if it even exists.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 09:04 PM
Back in the day when I was first starting my business, I was also installing Dish Network satellite systems. They had music packages available as subscription services for businesses. Pay the subscription and you were covered for copyright royalties issues as well.

100% of my business tended to be on the residential side of things. In those packages you also ended up with music channels like Sirius XM radio has now. iHeart also is similar IIUC.

They dropped all of us independent installers and broke their contract by setting up in house installers. Lawsuits were filed ..... but nothing happened except I lost that revenue stream for my business.

All the times I go in Walmart, I never really even noticed that they have music. I'm busy watching the "people of Walmart"... the ones that are 450 lbs and wearing very inappropriate clothing. Like a ripped orange t-shirt that says "Juicy" on it. Ugggggh.... I'm thinking.... OMG... this person probably lives in this town.....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/18/17 09:28 PM
What would be REALLY cool is if they played it in the background on walmart.com....!!! grin

For anything I don't have to try on, I order online anyway. I don't want to end up on People Of Walmart.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 12:59 AM
Caaron,

If you're looking for a certain song off the playlist try emailing one of the Dj's and asking.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 10:45 AM
They should play Phil Spector recordings

(wall of sound)

aaaarrrrgggghhhhh

Notes
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Caaron,

If you're looking for a certain song off the playlist try emailing one of the Dj's and asking.

Sure, you always have to have the simple, brilliant solution!

Thank you!!! smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Caaron,

Walmart has DJ's?
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Walmart has DJ's?

Yes indeed! I didn't know that till I read the article that was posted either. Pretty cool to think actually, in my book.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 04:06 PM
Fascinating conversation. Do you really spend enough time in Walmart that you are this concerned about the piped in music? I mean, whatever floats your boat, but still curious.

What would be better is if they provided bluetooth channels with different genres! You could take your own phone sin and connect to the network you want. That would keep me from getting Taylor Swift and Arianna Grande poisoning!!

One day I heard that awful "skyrockets in flight" song and I left my cart there and ran out before I became infected!!

(Of course that is a lie, but you need to play for the humor!)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 08:59 PM
When I go to Walmart, I'm on a mission. I know what I want, and generally, where it is, and hit the closest open register to check out.

My wife, on the other hand is probably typical of most women, we hit just about every department in the store with the exception of the toys and sporting goods. Figure you're going to be there a while.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 09:12 PM
My wife, on the other hand is probably typical of most women.

My last girlfriend would somehow manage to kill 2 1/2 hours IN A WALMART!!!!

I'm like you Herb. I know exactly what I want, where in the store it is, and I find a department cash register rather than one by the exit. In. Buy. Out. Boom.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Fascinating conversation. Do you really spend enough time in Walmart that you are this concerned about the piped in music? I mean, whatever floats your boat, but still curious.

It's not about the amount of time I spend there, it's that in a little bit I was really surprised to hear a specific song. I was and still am curious how it happened.

Quote:
One day I heard that awful "skyrockets in flight" song and I left my cart there and ran out before I became infected!!

So...THAT song is stuck in my head now. cry
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/19/17 10:57 PM
When I go to Walmart, I'm on a mission. I know what I want, and generally, where it is, and hit the closest open register to check out.

This surprises me, but I REALLY am a fan of the self check outs! I'm out that much faster, with less conversation, or waiting in line. All wins in my book!

Quote:
My wife, on the other hand is probably typical of most women, we hit just about every department in the store with the exception of the toys and sporting goods. Figure you're going to be there a while.

Mine all too often ends with pulling out of the parking lot and hearing "Guess what I forgot?" Sometimes it's the thing we went for!
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
[quote=Guitarhacker]This surprises me, but I REALLY am a fan of the self check outs!

Nothing derogatory meant by this, but I will never use a self checkout at any store myself....to me it is like taking a job away from a real flesh & blood human.

Yes, I have heard all the arguments for & against, yada yada yada, but for us it just does not feel right.....
Posted By: dcuny Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 03:07 AM
#2 on their playlist is "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

Seems appropriate.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 10:08 AM
<...>One day I heard that awful "skyrockets in flight" song and I left my cart there and ran out before I became infected!!<...>

I'm glad you made it out safely. I've heard that if you get that song for an earworm, it can be crippling.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Seems appropriate.

laugh
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 10:18 AM

Seems appropriate.

Ha! Nice observation! It fits with #25 "Hopeless Wanderer", #59 "Stay"
I could go on.

There are also the songs like "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Mr. Know It All."

And of course the song of the greeters..."Hello"...but also "Trouble When You Walked In."

"The Finer Things" seems strangely out of place though wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 11:52 AM

Seems appropriate.

Ha! Nice observation! It fits with #25 "Hopeless Wanderer", #59 "Stay"
I could go on.

There are also the songs like "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Mr. Know It All."

And of course the song of the greeters..."Hello"...but also "Trouble When You Walked In."

"The Finer Things" seems strangely out of place though wink

If you are looking for something you could sing "Help". You know the song by some British group whistle
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 01:39 PM
I went through the list of 437 and I knew 60. So many people I have never heard of or heard of but never listened to. I can't name a Taylor Swift song. Or Adele. Or Pink. Or Lady Gaga. Or most of them! grin
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 02:00 PM
I went through the list of 437 and I knew 60. So many people I have never heard of or heard of but never listened to. I can't name a Taylor Swift song. Or Adele. Or Pink. Or Lady Gaga. Or most of them! grin

The good news is, you have the list AND an internet connection...now you can! wink

The internet. Bringing the world closer together, one Eddie at a time smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

If you are looking for something you could sing "Help". You know the song by some British group whistle

Actually, I believe One Direction is technically a British-Irish band. NOW who looks dumb? wink
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Walmart Music - 02/20/17 11:55 PM

Just for you, Eddie: grin
Posted By: sslechta Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Just for you, Eddie: grin

Ahhhhh. Make it stop! eek
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 02:01 AM
Geeze I may have to close my account here.....
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 05:54 AM
Honestly, I've never heard that song before or it never left an imprint in my brain. In 1977 I was 21, so if it was popular I should have heard that song -- and suddenly I remember I have an Album by Johnny Carver with that title and it still doesn't ring a bell...I guess that Johnny Carver album populated my record player not more than once or twice.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 08:15 AM

Close your account? !!
With nothing else to do, you'll find yourself walking around Walmart all day.
Now what could possibly go wrong? grin
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Honestly, I've never heard that song before or it never left an imprint in my brain. In 1977 I was 21, so if it was popular I should have heard that song -- and suddenly I remember I have an Album by Johnny Carver with that title and it still doesn't ring a bell...I guess that Johnny Carver album populated my record player not more than once or twice.

Correct. You probably wouldn't have heard it. They sent all of the copies to Australia - except one - that went to Walmart.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 01:05 PM
smile smile Hihi... smile smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 01:44 PM

If you would decide to close your account, you may run the risk of not getting your same account name back should you decide to come back at a later date.

Then again, the name "countryjoe" may be available soon. wink
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 01:51 PM

You never know. I might BE Country Joe!!!!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 01:57 PM

Sometimes I do. Using logic...if you are countryjoe, but I also am countryjoe, that would mean you and I are the same person!

Opps, wait...I got that wrong. I am Spartacus! There we go. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 06:01 PM

I thought you were Country Ed whistle
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 06:27 PM
Are there Walmarts in Australia?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/21/17 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Yes, but they call them Wallabymart.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 01:28 AM

As far as I know, there are none. If there were, I would go visit one for sure, so I could see why Eddie loves them so much crazy

There are similar superstores, which sell most everything. But I don't think independently they have the same range as a Walmart does.

Incidentally, I have been to a Walmart, in Greenwood Mississippi. That's quite a few years ago now. It was impressive, and I remember that they didn't play that awful song.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 02:54 AM
I think it was in the local Walmart back in December that I was unable to escape the annual 'run for my life' crap holiday song; Macca's worst song ever. I won't even name the title so hopefully it doesn't create an ugly earworm for you.

I love the Beatles' songs for the most part, as a band and many of their solo work - but there should be some sort of fine for airing that song in any way, shape or form.
Posted By: Le Miz Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 05:04 AM

Yes, but they call them Wallabymart.

That was a belly laugh!

...I can't name a Taylor Swift song. Or Adele. Or Pink.

Or Lady Gaga. Or most of them! grin

Now you'll be able to.

...That would keep me from getting Taylor Swift and Arianna Grande poisoning!!

Think of this as a vaccination!

These two records from this decade screamed "hit" the first time I heard them. Each is commercial, but also artistic, IMO.

The first is Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off". She is the first listed of 3 writers.

This is IMO a brilliantly written pop song. Catchy tune, incredible hook, stunning word play (twist of phrase), and a GREAT message.

IMO, it's a little work of art.

I had never seen this "official" video until today; I watched it to get the link for this post. I thought the dancing cute, but it distracted from the record.

But note that there are nearly 2 BILLION (yes, that's a "B") views of this video.

If you chose to watch / listen, I would strongly suggest headphones. And further suggest a second listen without watching, simply to marvel at how clever the lyric is.

Still, the difference between the mp3 and CD (on a good system) is startling.

If you don't like it, well, "HATERS GONNA HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE!"

"Shake It Off" (Taylor Swift)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Here is another I think exceptional, "Born This Way" from Lady Gaga and written by Lady Gaga.

Again, the official video has nearly 2 Billion views. But it lasts over 7 minutes. This shorter one, with 31 million views, has the lyrics.

"Born This Way" (Lady Gaga)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BsLd4Y060Q
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 05:27 AM
We did have Walmart in Germany until a couple of years ago. Then they moved out, obviously in Germany there was a lack of free advertising. Here I've never seen the sort of people that triggered others to snap a shot and widely publish it.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

As far as I know, there are none. If there were, I would go visit one for sure, so I could see why Eddie loves them so much crazy

They probably play Keith Urban and Butterfly Boucher all day....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Walmart Music - 02/22/17 11:31 PM
I have heard that Taylor Swift song as background music for a parody video on youtube. An acquaintance from Cleveland is her guitar player. One of those "he'd know me if he saw me but wouldn't remember my name" types. Did sound for his cousin's band here for a while.....
© PG Music Forums