PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike fyi guitar pro 7 - 04/24/17 06:05 PM
https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=guitar-pro-whats-new
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: fyi guitar pro 7 - 04/24/17 06:47 PM
upgrades, upgrades, upgrades- they never end

UPDATE to my above tongue-in-cheek reply (not so funny comment below):

it was only $30 to upgrade so I did it for grins.

MINOR RANT:

However, found the same issue with the new GP7 install that finally drove me NUTS and made me leave Cakewalk (and I'm a Sonar Plat. Lifetime customer) last fall after almost 30 years with CW.

The ~1GB GP7 installer file was told to install on my D drive. It installed ~98 MB's (or 0.1 GB) on the D drive - the remaining almost 1GB (980+ MB's) of sound banks were placed on the C drive.

The sound banks were placed in C:\Program Data\.. folder but not until after the installer left bread crumbs in various c drive locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder and the C:\Users\user name\app\roaming ... folders. Just too much stuff, and too many bread crumbs, spread all over the C drive bad - but not as bad as the quadruple/quintuple folders CW increasingly creates (and worse those CW folders are redundant and contain wasteful files) .

Before I get lots of suggestions about buying bigger drives: I personally have PLENTY of C drive (HDD) space, that is NOT the issue at least for me. Although, space MIGHT be an issue for others who only have small SDD C:\ boot drives (256 GB, 512GB, even 1TB SDD's could be an issue if all SW producers, due to laziness, start just placing bulk of files on the boot drive)

The real issue is : there is no, OS or otherwise, compelling design reason to not install the VAST majority of files, especially support DATA files (like sound banks), where the the user told the installer app to install. The user expects bulk of files to be placed on that directed drive - not on the boot drive.

The user should never have to resort to ini/cfg edits, registry hacks, mklink, or other intervention methods to place files & folders where the user DIRECTED they be placed during the install process.

I've already sent off email to Arobas/GP on this and hopefully, and unlike Cakewalk, they will address and modify and not ignore or blow it off as CW did.

Actually it got a little testy over at CW after soem back and forth (not so nice) posts got moved to to the "feature update request" forum and shortly thereafter they were deleted when new Bakery was started - so I finally just walked away. I figured a 28 year customer deserved a better answer then "why would you ever want to move files around?" - DUH?!! "but if do (dummy) here's some work arounds."

Larry
=========

PS in the time it took to write this Arobas/GP has already replied that they have support request and will look at it (so +1 for them so far)

Posted By: Pipeline Re: fyi guitar pro 7 - 04/24/17 07:45 PM
Thanks ! been waiting for that, they didn't send me any notifications.

$30 for upgrade.
Posted By: jford Re: fyi guitar pro 7 - 04/25/17 02:03 PM
Larry -

I'm sure you already realize this, but if you use Command Center to install the Sonar products, the default setting is a silent install and everything ends up on the C: drive. You can turn that off and then it will do a verbose install. Until I found this out, I would just use Command Center to tell me what needed updating, then go to the webpage and update manually. Afterwards, I can do it all through Command Center now.

Of course, to do that you first have to uninstall everything (I use Revo Uninstaller for things like this) to reset all the default locations), because once installed, it will grey out and install to the previously installed locations (except for your VST location).
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: fyi guitar pro 7 - 04/25/17 03:39 PM
John

Yes, I knew about the verbose mode but I don't (didn't) use CCC anyway; remember, the very first version of CCC did not have a “Verbose mode” so I left CCC in the dust right off the bat.

I won’t rant here about Sonar (this isn’t a Sonar forum) but just for fun do a thorough check of how many Cakewalk folders you have on C:\ and check the sub-directories and contents in EACH one. Then compare that content to all the other CW folders on C: \. Remember, all of those folders (except one) are there even if you tell Sonar to install on a different DRIVE; a lot of redundancy. Yes, most are small files and you may think “mountain-molehill” paranoia; but there is no reason for it.

I won’t write a tome on why I finally walked away in November – but it ends with: it’s not the Greg Hendershott CW company I started with in 1989, there are other very good DAW’s out here so why put up with attitude.

I will monitor - since I've already paid for lifetime SPLAT - but I doubt I'll be returning (or recommending)

Larry
Posted By: p060477 Re: fyi guitar pro 7 - 03/15/21 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
upgrades, upgrades, upgrades- they never end

UPDATE to my above tongue-in-cheek reply (not so funny comment below):

it was only $30 to upgrade so I did it for grins.

MINOR RANT:

However, found the same issue with the new GP7 install that finally drove me NUTS and made me leave Cakewalk (and I'm a Sonar Plat. Lifetime customer) last fall after almost 30 years with CW.

The ~1GB GP7 installer file was told to install on my D drive. It installed ~98 MB's (or 0.1 GB) on the D drive - the remaining almost 1GB (980+ MB's) of sound banks were placed on the C drive.

The sound banks were placed in C:\Program Data\.. folder but not until after the installer left bread crumbs in various c drive locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder and the C:\Users\user name\app\roaming ... folders. Just too much stuff, and too many bread crumbs, spread all over the C drive bad - but not as bad as the quadruple/quintuple folders CW increasingly creates (and worse those CW folders are redundant and contain wasteful files) .

Before I get lots of suggestions about buying bigger drives: I personally have PLENTY of C drive (HDD) space, that is NOT the issue at least for me. Although, space MIGHT be an issue for others who only have small SDD C:\ boot drives (256 GB, 512GB, even 1TB SDD's could be an issue if all SW producers, due to laziness, start just placing bulk of files on the boot drive)

The real issue is : there is no, OS or otherwise, compelling design reason to not install the VAST majority of files, especially support DATA files (like sound banks), where the the user told the installer app to install. The user expects bulk of files to be placed on that directed drive - not on the boot drive.

The user should never have to resort to ini/cfg edits, registry hacks, mklink, or other intervention methods to place files & folders where the user DIRECTED they be placed during the install process.

I've already sent off email to Arobas/GP on this and hopefully, and unlike Cakewalk, they will address and modify and not ignore or blow it off as CW did.

Actually it got a little testy over at CW after soem back and forth (not so nice) posts got moved to to the "feature update request" forum and shortly thereafter they were deleted when new Bakery was started - so I finally just walked away. I figured a 28 year customer deserved a better answer then "why would you ever want to move files around?" - DUH?!! "but if do (dummy) here's some work arounds."

Larry
=========

PS in the time it took to write this Arobas/GP has already replied that they have support request and will look at it (so +1 for them so far)

Hi Larry,
first so many thxs for yr clear post,
then i'd like to know if there sould be a way NOT to have the soundbanks placed in the default path:
c\programdata
i'm on desktop win 10 home 64 20h2
cause i've a portable vers. of gp7 and i want to have it fully portable so not to have installed the soundbanks in their default path c\programdata;
i see that if i move the arobas music folder ,in which there is the sub folder soundbanks,
which is in c\programdata
and i put it in my portable gp7 folder that i've placed in my N\ ,partition internal hdd of my pc,
then i'm not able to hear any sound at all,
then if i re-place it in the default c\programdata path i'm able again to hear the sound,
so my question is:
is there a workaround…??..if yes i pray you to explain it to me..
thxs so much indeed in advance
cheers
© PG Music Forums