PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Which key is the saddest? - 05/02/17 08:50 AM

from this playlist
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/02/17 09:02 AM
Great article. A lot of thought and research obviously went into that. Made me feel a bit sad actually frown
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/02/17 10:26 AM
I enjoyed that!
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/02/17 09:01 PM
Em

Trax
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/02/17 11:22 PM
Life.

Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/03/17 06:04 PM
Thanks for sharing - love it!
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/04/17 03:54 AM
I believe it has more to do with where you go after you play the minor root chord that determines how sad or how tragic the movement becomes. I also believe major chord progressions can be just as sad as minor chord progressions, whether it's Vasily Kalinnikov's Symphony 1 (2.Move) or Hank Williams' 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry'.

Kajun Jeaux
Posted By: Icelander Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/04/17 12:32 PM
I hve to agree with Kajun, "sad" is very much a question of context and relation to the individual experiences of the listener, in which case you can easily find songs in major key just as "sad" as minor key songs (if not more so).

Having said that, it's still very tempting to say 'E minor' wink
Posted By: furry Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/07/17 06:18 PM
A LOT depends on the player and their interpretaion of the music. Sometimes a sad tune can be murdered if there's no feeling put into it. It's all very well playing the tune perfectly note for note but it HAS to come from the heart.

Em for me too
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/07/17 06:35 PM
This has been posted before, but it discusses how chord combinations are used in cinema to evoke certain moods. If there is any validity to it, it would suggest that the key might be less important than the chord patterns used.

https://youtu.be/YSKAt3pmYBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DK4m2tuiw&t=300s
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/07/17 10:25 PM
Yes Pat I remember that post, in fact I can't get it out of my head while watching most movies these days LOL

However ditto as well to the thanks above, I too enjoyed the watch.

PS: My saddest keys are the one just above and the one just below my vocal range.

Later,
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/08/17 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
PS: My saddest keys are the one just above and the one just below my vocal range.

I was going to say "Any key I sing in" but you beat me to the punch line.
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/08/17 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: furry
It's all very well playing the tune perfectly note for note but it HAS to come from the heart.

Therein lies the gospel truth, Furry. Having spent the last couple of decades in the recording studio, I've seen them come and go, and there have been some good ones. But every now and then someone comes along with that special feel-good talent, and like you said, it comes from the heart.

Kajun Jeaux
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/08/17 09:23 AM
D minor.

Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/10/17 02:54 AM
Beautiful tune, Herb.... I've never heard it before, is it an original?

Jeaux
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/10/17 09:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
D minor.

Yep....D minor was always known as the saddest since I started college back in '71.
I've never heard of any other key touted as 'saddest'.

A good day to all....
Posted By: rayc Re: Which key is the saddest? - 05/14/17 06:12 AM
Who is Schobart? Is there as "classical" equiv. to the Simpson eldest child? Then again there may be a "sad "classical" composer by that name & my ignorance is further exposed.I could assume it's a U.S. vs Australian pronunciation thing like our solder vs US "sodder" but I'm not sure.
© PG Music Forums