PG Music Home
Posted By: Matcham Dylan's Nobel lecture - 06/05/17 06:17 PM
Here it is. Just in time to collect his cool million.

Dylan Nobel lecture
Posted By: Le Miz Re: Dylan's Nobel lecture - 06/06/17 02:59 AM
So Bobby begins with Buddy Holly and brilliantly ends with Homer.

On his journey he gives 3 book reports on books that influenced him and his songs.

In his acceptance of the "Nobel Prize for Literature", he asserts that songs are NOT literature in a speech that sounds like an extended song lyric! Included is a lyric fragment from Ricky Nelson's "Traveling Man".

There's now a version of this on youtube that has the text shown as he speaks. I could easily hear every word he said, so for me, the print was superfluous.

I felt I was listening to brilliance. I could connect some of the dots, but it's Bobby, after all, so being inscrutable is part of his magic.

27 minutes that was absolutely worth my time and attention.

THANKS for this link!
Posted By: Matcham Re: Dylan's Nobel lecture - 06/06/17 05:46 AM
Since posting the link I've had a chance to listen to the lecture and like you Le Miz I'm impressed once again with Dylan's way of articulating ideas language is typically unable to express. Listening to him enthuse about Moby Dick helped me realise that Dylan himself is just like the novel: so 'wrong' from an orthodox perspective but so so able to touch people on a deep intuitive level.
Posted By: lambada Re: Dylan's Nobel lecture - 06/06/17 09:48 PM
I enjoyed this. His speaking voice was different from what I expected. I've always admired him and as a young student he challenged my world view very successfully. I now regret I refused to chauffeur him around Cairns in Australia about 20 years ago when he did a show their due to my appalling sense of direction. My then G/F's ex husband took him around! Such is life.
© PG Music Forums