PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Top 10 Musicians Who Make A TON Of Money - 06/28/17 09:37 AM
Posted By: MarioD Re: Top 10 Musicians Who Make A TON Of Money - 06/28/17 10:43 AM
Interesting video. I'm surprised that Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones were not on the list.
Not too surprising on the top 5 or so except Beiber. I didn't expect that one as I definitely do not have Bieber fever.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Interesting video. I'm surprised that Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones were not on the list.

For Sir Paul the video said they rated based on an annual income perspective. Paul tends to have a few years off between albums and touring. That's my guess.

As far as the Stones, my guess is they blew their money and need to tour more. smile
Posted By: edshaw Re: Top 10 Musicians Who Make A TON Of Money - 06/28/17 12:29 PM
Wish them well.
The introduction of the iPod in 2001 marked the unofficial end of CDs and the sea change of pop music.
On the surface, at least, this development supposedly marked the exit of Mafia control over the music industry.
Music now has slipped to ninth place in the product lines of media and entertainment companies. Video games such as "Grand Theft Auto" occupy the top spots.
About that time, I'd say a quantum boost to the internet "Truth" movement,
which has turned into a whistleblowers fun fest, resulted when several groups of the 1980's posted articles revealing just how much the performers really made at end of the contracts and the final accounting.
Though it is to the advantage of the producers to have the fans, mostly kiddie pop now, to imagine the fortunes performers such as Beyonce, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga are worth, a little research into the internet's hidden gems can be quite revealing. One of my favorites, Taylor Swift, has tables in the lobbies selling show souveniers and perfumes from her line. That doesn't sound like a billionaire, or does it? President Trump does a brisk business in hats and tshirts, or so we are told.
Oh darn, another list I missed!
I believe that you have to draw a line between past and present right around the advent of MTV. When we were kids, we went to HEAR The Beatles. We went to HEAR The Beach Boys. We went to HEAR The Rolling Stones. Now kids go to SEE bands. The old school bands that are our icons never changed clothes between songs, get lowered from the ceiling on a swing, dodge the explosions and dealt with dizzying light arrays. They just played and sang. If you look at video footage of a Katy Perry show, and watch closely, she isn't singing. She actually CAN'T be singing with all the arm swinging changing the angle of the mic relative of her mouth. Plus who can have breath control with all that running around and hopping up and down?

It's apples and kangaroos to compare old time bands and video era bands.
Eddie, If you went to hear the Beatles, then good luck! Between the 30 watt amplifiers, small wattage public address systems and screaming audience you likely could have been right in front of them and never heard a chord. I assume it was the same with the Rolling Stones laugh

I watched a little of the television show, Boy Band, last Thursday and was impressed with the 30 participants. The judges had more difficulty narrowing the field down to 16 than I thought they would. Actually, I'm glad I'm not one of the judges.

I agree with you that MTV changed the world of pop / rock music.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Eddie, If you went to hear the Beatles, then good luck! Between the 30 watt amplifiers, small wattage public address systems and screaming audience you likely could have been right in front of them and never heard a chord.

In 1965 I was in the 8th row and I couldn't hear anything but the drums. And the screaming. From the 8th row!!!
Eddie,

At least you got to see The Beatles live. That's more than most of us can say.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Eddie,

At least you got to see The Beatles live. That's more than most of us can say.

My first concert ever. I was 14. Within 12 calendar months, I saw the Browns win their only league championship and The Beatles.

And it's been pretty much downhill from there.....
LOL Eddie..... Browns? Championship? Didn't know that they ever did.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
My first concert ever. I was 14. Within 12 calendar months, I saw the Browns win their only league championship and The Beatles.

And it's been pretty much downhill from there.....

You reached your pinnacle at 14? Now that's what I call an early starter grin
© PG Music Forums