PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 12:33 PM
This is a REALLY off-topic post...

I'm curious to know how many of you might have one of those Senior passes to the National Parks. If you have one, are you using it?

For anyone who doesn't already know, US citizens over 62 years of age can but a lifetime pass to the national parks. If the park charges admission, you get in for free. Camping fees are cut in half ... not sure if there are other benefits or not.

As I type this, these passes cost $10... but it's about to go up to $80. So if you want one but haven't bought it yet... now is the time to jump, before the price increases.

Not that $80 is a bad price either.. for a lifetime pass. but $10 is better.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 01:06 PM
Wow! That is GREAT info!

May I ask how that works? Is it a pass per person? That may sound like an odd question, but I know our state park here, it's per vehicle.

Also, do you know when the jump in price is going to happen?

Thanks Pat!
Posted By: jford Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 01:16 PM
Unfortunately, I won't hit 62 until after the price goes up.

I don't have the National Park pass, but we do have the Gulf National Islands Seashore Pass ($30/year) which gets us into the federal beaches here in Pensacola and surrounding areas (just because it's cheaper than the the national pass, which is $80). But even for $80 when I turn 62, I'll be there to get mine when the time comes.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 01:50 PM
Pat, I have had one for about 6 years now. I have only used it twice thus far but it is a must have if you are going to visit a National Park or two.

Heartolearn, the pass it good for one car. For example if you have a SUV and you have 8 people in it they all get in free if you are using the pass.

Also check your state information. Here in New York State if you are over 62 you get a free pass into any state park on Mondays through Fridays with holidays being the exception. All you have to do is to show your NYS driver's license and everyone in the car gets in free. On weekends and holidays you pay like everyone else.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow! That is GREAT info!

May I ask how that works? Is it a pass per person? That may sound like an odd question, but I know our state park here, it's per vehicle.

Also, do you know when the jump in price is going to happen?

Thanks Pat!

it's my understanding that where park admission is concerned, it's per vehicle. And of course, if you are renting a campsite, one rental works for however many people are sharing the tent or camper.

I don't have a date, but I've heard that it's imminent.

I just bought my pass last weekend, and the first place I tried , they were out. The lady at the desk said they didn't know when they'd have more, but it probably wouldn't be until the price goes up. So maybe when the last of the $10 passes are gone, everybody will get re-stocked with $80 passes?

(I'm projecting here, because that's what conspiracy theorists do.)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 01:58 PM
For retirees who may want to take an extended road trip, it's a good way to traverse the continent and keep lodging costs under control... especially if you don't mind camping.

There are web sites that list all of the national parks by state, and it wouldn't be hard to plan an itinerary based on park hopping.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

whippersnapper. ;-)

Quote:
I don't have the National Park pass, but we do have the Gulf National Islands Seashore Pass ($30/year) which gets us into the federal beaches here in Pensacola and surrounding areas (just because it's cheaper than the the national pass, which is $80). But even for $80 when I turn 62, I'll be there to get mine when the time comes.

The $10 or $80 isn't per year.. it's a one-time fee that lasts the rest of your life.. and I'm guessing that the federal beaches might be included

I think its still a bargain at $80. At $10, one campsite rental pays for the pass. Even at $80, the pass could easily pay for itself in one season.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 02:43 PM
I've been eligible for 4 years but only got it last year, when we visited Cape Cod. Incredible bargain.

Ironically, we were in the water with our granddaughter for less than an hour when we were whistled out for sharks. Apparently this is a new thing there, with an increasing concentration of seals (bait).
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Pat. Just ordered it.

Had to then order a new amp to offset the "senior" thing, though...
Posted By: jford Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 03:06 PM
Quote:
it's a one-time fee that lasts the rest of your life

Right, but until I hit 62, $80 is also the annual cost.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 05:28 PM
FYI...... National Parks owns the Arch and grounds here in St. Louis. That pass will get you in to the underground visiting area and trips to the top of the Arch viewing area.

St. Louis Gateway Arch
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I've been eligible for 4 years but only got it last year, when we visited Cape Cod. Incredible bargain.

Ironically, we were in the water with our granddaughter for less than an hour when we were whistled out for sharks. Apparently this is a new thing there, with an increasing concentration of seals (bait).

call me a conspiracy theorist... but I think "seals" is code for "retirees"

If the park system plays their hand right, the sharks could help to alleviate future social security shortfalls by thinning the herd...

In other words, the Senior cards could be the lure that brings the retirees to the sharks... or bears... whatever creatures are willing to work with the government...

(disclaimer: yes, I'm kidding)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
FYI...... National Parks owns the Arch and grounds here in St. Louis. That pass will get you in to the underground visiting area and trips to the top of the Arch viewing area.

St. Louis Gateway Arch

I'm sure a lot of us didn't know that! (I sure didn't!) Thanks for passing that bit of information on to the rest of us!

It would make a cool bucket list project to see all of the national parks.. for those of you who are also history buffs, a lot of historic battlefields come under the umbrella of the national park service.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Thanks for the reminder, Pat. Just ordered it.

What?? No way you're eligible! I figured you had about 15 years to go yet...

(what amp did you buy? Enquiring minds and all that....)
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 08:00 PM
Here is the link to the USGS site that talks about it.

USGS America the Beautiful pass

If you happen to be a disabled veteran it is free forever. I got mine this year.

You young'uns are just going to have to pay!!!

These are links from the USGS site where the pass is honored.

Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
Fish and Wildlife Services
USDA Forest Service
National Park Service
US Army Corps of Engineers
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 08:13 PM
Some notes from their website...

"The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail or online is $20. $10 for the Senior Pass and $10 for processing the application...For all orders a $5.00 USD handling charge is applied."

"We are experiencing a major increase in Senior pass sales. Further information on changes to the Senior pass price and program will be coming soon."

"Online Senior passes are currently being processed within six weeks. Mail in Senior and Access pass applications are currently being processed within ten weeks."

"Please note that we do not expect changes to the Senior pass price or program within the next few months."
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 08:24 PM
If you live near a state park you can get it by visiting in person. I went in with my DD214 and walked out in about 15 minutes with the pass and a bunch of paperwork about it.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 08:27 PM
According to their website the passes are only available at federal locations on this list,

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf
Posted By: rharv Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

call me a conspiracy theorist... but I think "seals" is code for "retirees"

If the park system plays their hand right, the sharks could help to alleviate future social security shortfalls by thinning the herd...

In other words, the Senior cards could be the lure that brings the retirees to the sharks... or bears... whatever creatures are willing to work with the government...

(disclaimer: yes, I'm kidding)

I know what it would be here ..
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/dnr_confirms_cougar_sighting_n.html

Funny thing is they keep referencing the 'Lower Peninsula', but this was near Lansing (state capital) pretty far south in the state.
There have been plenty of other sightings in the last few years in the Lower Peninsula, most further north (including one from a major zoo curator), and the response from the DNR has been to deny cougars being here in MI. It's kind of hard to deny this one.
<grin>
sorry for the hijack, that said (and to be more on the subject) we do have an abnormally large amount of 'National Forests' here but our National Parks are generally out of the normal path of travel. We have really nice ones, but you have to be aiming for them to find them.
/Best timed to avoid the winter, like everything else around here

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv

sorry for the hijack,

what? you can't hijack a stream of consciousness thread! They're SUPPOSED to morph into an endless array of other topics!

(The way I see it, OFF TOPIC forum is the modern equivalent of a general store's porch full of rocking chairs that attracts old men with stories to tell. )

Regarding the photo of the cougar, I was half expecting to see something with a red dress and a mixed drink. (I wonder how the owners of that mailbox felt about the photo...?)

Quote:
that said (and to be more on the subject) we do have an abnormally large amount of 'National Forests' here but our National Parks are generally out of the normal path of travel. We have really nice ones, but you have to be aiming for them to find them.
/Best timed to avoid the winter, like everything else around here

Bucket list!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/05/17 11:32 PM

It's called: Retail therapy wink
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

John, John, John - I didn't know we let kids in here! grin

Larry
Posted By: jford Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 12:20 PM
Quote:
John, John, John - I didn't know we let kids in here!

Well, I have 3 1/2 years to go, so I'm inching there (but not in a hurry, mind you).
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 01:19 PM

Wish I had known - I'm starting to divest of equipment, slide rules, and other collections so wife doesn't have to deal with as much of it when she throws my ashes in the trash

Larry
Posted By: jford Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 05:16 PM
Larry -

She doesn't have to throw your ashes in the trash. You can keep it musical (assuming you don't divest of your turntable). smile

http://www.andvinyly.com/
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 05:57 PM
interesting idea, but only if you get to pick what song gets pressed into the LP... if it turned out to be "Highway To Hell", it wouldn't be very comforting to the family...
Posted By: jford Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 06:06 PM
As I understand, you get get to choose whatever you want, even recordings you have made. And the ticks and pops you hear, well, that's your residue on the album. smile

I love the name of the company, a play words "and finally".
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/06/17 06:17 PM
Had one for nine years. It's also good for some pay to enter local national forest areas where we like to cycle and hike. There are some museums on National Monuments that are not covered in our area. Good deal for us and at least one advantage Janice has for being married to an old fart.

Bud
Posted By: Tobias Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/07/17 12:52 AM
Disabled persons get special deals too.
We have the Access Pass for many (10 - 12) years now and are both under age 53. I think it was only $10 due to a registered disability. If I recall it was purchased at the Social Security Administration office.
We have used it extensively to camp and hike all over New Mexico and southern Colorado. We would make camp site reservations in advance on line and pay something like $4.00 per night.
www.recreation.gov
We also got a good discount to access Carlsbad Caverns, NM.
Many states offer special deals for State Park and Recreation. Search State Park Pass for ...
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/07/17 01:22 PM
So Pat, does my pass get me half off camping in your driveway or free?
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/07/17 02:32 PM
Nope, turntable stays (even when I'm gone - about only thing we agree on: vinyl is king!)
Larry
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/07/17 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
So Pat, does my pass get me half off camping in your driveway or free?

Eddie my friend, you can park here for free! But maybe in the lawn instead of the driveway. Narrow driveway that barely supports the 2 cars using it.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Senior pass for national parks - 07/07/17 08:54 PM
Pat,

Thanks for bringing up the topic and letting us know the fees are close to changing.

Eddie,

Thanks for posting the links. That helps a lot.
© PG Music Forums