PG Music Home
Posted By: raymb1 Forte - 08/02/17 10:36 AM
Just now trying the free sample Forte. Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, about this software?
Posted By: WendyM Re: Forte - 08/02/17 11:25 AM
Well I'm relativly new to BB and I got forte after I got Ultra.
Whatever midi sounds were in my PC sounded really bad( microsoft?) and not at all realistic so I got pushed towards the Rts. But after buying the Forte they were heaps better! Some are actually quite good but imo only the guitar ones still suck. It doesnt seem to cover the full range of midi sounds but thats poss cos I havent explored it that much.
But for the money, its gotta be a winner compared to the native pc sounds.
WendyM
Posted By: jford Re: Forte - 08/02/17 11:33 AM
I presume you are talking about the notation program, rather than the Coyote Forte sound library?

I've not tried Forte (as I have many other notation programs - Finale, Sibelius, Notion, Noteworthy Composer, MuseScore, and Notation Composer).

But I am interested in what you think about Forte, Ray, as you work through it.

I've seen it advertised (it keeps popping up as an ad on my computer), but never dove in.

I've generally settled on using either Noteworthy Composer or Notion for my notation needs. Finale and Sibelius have a lot of features, but I generally use them more to read existing scores in those formats, as opposed to using them to create my own.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forte - 08/02/17 02:08 PM
Right, I'm also assuming we are talking about notation software. I bought Forte, tried it, and went back to Encore. I see some benefit in learning it but I'm so entrenched in the Encore approach for over twenty-five years (long-time beta tester) that I don't want to take the time. I can report it was stable, which Encore is not. It's just that every notation program has wildly differing user interfaces and methods of working, perhaps more so than in any other genre of software I've ever used. I instantly hate or love each one I've tried. Mostly hate.

Afterthought: I recall doing some experiments with a number of Music XML features in several notation software programs. At that time, maybe 18 months ago, Forte would not deal with a file produced by BIAB. More annoying, it gave no reason why - no error message or explanation. MuseScore, for example, is the best at diagnosing errors in a Music XML file that I have found (and it's free).
Posted By: jford Re: Forte - 08/02/17 03:31 PM
Like Matt, I guess I keep coming back to Noteworthy Composer as I have been using it for over 20 years and it fits me like a glove. Yes there are things it doesn't do, but there are other things it does (for me at least) that allow me to get things done so very quickly.

But I'm always open to new applications, so that's why I would love to hear back on others' experiences. That's how I also ended up with Notion. It also has some very minor issues, but once I figured out how it works, it was very elegant in its simplicity. I usually use NoteWorthy for my lead sheets, and my MIDI import/export, but use Notion when I transcribe or create choir scores.
Posted By: rharv Re: Forte - 08/02/17 08:14 PM
Before I type an answer, please clarify
Are you asking about a separate Forte notation program or the Forte synth included in BiaB etc.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Forte - 08/02/17 08:26 PM
Forte, the notation software. I should have said that right off the bat. I forgot about the Coyote software.
Posted By: rharv Re: Forte - 08/02/17 08:57 PM
Well then, you have a couple of experienced opinions above.
If it was the synth, I have many secrets/opinions, but as far as the notation software; I got nothing.
Matt mentioned MuseScore; it is well worth the price (free). Worth checking out also.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Forte - 08/02/17 09:40 PM
I tried the Forte software for a couple of hours. Too much of a learning curve for me right now. Not enough time to spend on it. I'll stick with BIAB and Muse Score.
Posted By: jford Re: Forte - 08/30/17 04:02 PM
In case anyone is interested, you can get a copy of Forte 8.5 BASIC edition (normally $24) for free until September 5, 2017.

http://www.fortenotation.com/en/giveaway/
© PG Music Forums