PG Music Home
Posted By: cs How to remove or reduce echo level of a song - 08/19/09 09:01 AM
Is there any software or method as how to remove or reduce echo level of a song?
Thanks!
Are you referring to an audio track? If so, none that I am aware of
I agree with Sam.

Nope. Once the echo is in there, its part of the waveform of the sound. Pulling out the echo would be like trying to un-bake a cake to get the chocolate out.
Albeit I am not aware of any concrete solution, I wouldn't be pessimistic at all. It may be *much* easier than unbaking the cake. Well, to some extent, it would be unbaking, yet such unbaking stuff is state of the art at least in image processing these days. Usually it's a piece of cake to unblur unsharp images and recreate clear, crisp photographs from otherwise potentially motion blurred images. Wouldn't be surprised if some audio engineer created some sort of inverse reverb filter for generic recordings.

If reverb was engineered by some plug-in, it's virtually a given that the corresponding inverse reverb would yield the original signal.
Posted By: Mac Re: How to remove or reduce echo level of a song - 08/19/09 01:43 PM
If that echo or reverb is destructively mixed into the song's tracks and not being applied in realtime by a plugin from within a recording software, then the answer is an unqualified, "No".

Others have asked about that before here.

The lesson that should be learned from all of this is that you should always create and archive two mixes when you add reverb, echo or any other time domain effect to your project -- one completely dry and the other with the effect(s) on it. That at least will allow for a revisit of the Dry Tracks in a future Mastering session.

--Mac
OTOH, you could always use the ACW tool to get the song structure back and rebuild it. Houston, we have the technology!

What exactly do you want to remove the reverb from in any case? RTs? No - not possible
What is the source material?
Mixed down wav file?
Seq file?
Quote:

The lesson that should be learned from all of this is that you should always create and archive two mixes when you add reverb, echo or any other time domain effect to your project -- one completely dry and the other with the effect(s) on it. That at least will allow for a revisit of the Dry Tracks in a future Mastering session.

--Mac

The most common studio method is to leave the vocal completely dry. and bring out the reverb only to a separate track, and then mix to taste.
Posted By: Mac Re: How to remove or reduce echo level of a song - 08/19/09 11:51 PM
Exactly, Harvey.

But bear in mind that on this forum more often than not we deal with those who seem to go for the mad rush to automatically "render" the mix instead of doing the mixdown routine.

And then there's the matter of how to set up their software and plugins to accomplish this. Those darn AUX busses seem to be the preferred method around here -- and that is more out of a concern for how many plugins are running than for reasons of mix integrity.

It is what it is,

--Mac
Posted By: cs Re: How to remove or reduce echo level of a song - 08/20/09 05:51 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
rharv, unfortunately it's mp3 format.
ya, how i wish there is invert reverb plug in.
>>>...The most common studio method is to leave the vocal completely dry...>>

Thanks Harvey! I tried it and it works great. There is a whole new way of re-thinking my engineering workflow in this simple method...
Quote:

Exactly, Harvey.

But bear in mind that on this forum more often than not we deal with those who seem to go for the mad rush to automatically "render" the mix instead of doing the mixdown routine.

And then there's the matter of how to set up their software and plugins to accomplish this. Those darn AUX busses seem to be the preferred method around here -- and that is more out of a concern for how many plugins are running than for reasons of mix integrity.

It is what it is,

--Mac

Mac,

I would like to know the reason for the seeming dislike of using an aux bus for reverb. Isn't that the bog standard way of using reverb when you'd like the same kind of reverb, but perhaps not the same amount, on different tracks? I think I must be missing something with your concern.

Perhaps it's the was PG has aux buses setup?

In my DAW, I put a reverb on a track that is set up as a return. Then, any track that I'd like a little bit of that reverb 'flava' I send to that track and play with the amount of 'send' that I'm giving it. The return track is completely wet - reverb only. The source track clip is completely dry and uneffected. The sequence/song is saved that way and only when I want to print a mixdown does any audio get effected permanently, and that is only on the printed version.

If this isn't your preferred way of doing things, I'd like to know what better way there is.

-Scott
© PG Music Forums